Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I've basically just started playing and I'd like to jump on this whole league thing.

I was following the Twisted Strand occultist ED build, but I want something that can do lots of content passably so I can see what I like to do.

Is BV elementalist for me? IF so, can anyone recommend a guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Looks like I got purged from the guild even though I logged in only a few days ago and was still in it. Oh well..

Looking for a re-invite when possible, IGN: Chucullinn

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Is the thing where you can have an alternate skill bar for your second weapon set confirmed? Because if so I’m gonna abuse the gently caress out of that.

I know it was in the patch notes but it wasn’t clear to me exactly how it works.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ego Trip posted:

I've basically just started playing and I'd like to jump on this whole league thing.

I was following the Twisted Strand occultist ED build, but I want something that can do lots of content passably so I can see what I like to do.

Is BV elementalist for me? IF so, can anyone recommend a guide?

For a new player I'd recommend something other than BV, it's strong but the playstyle can definitely feel clunky and you want some decently expensive stuff before it gets really good, which might take a good bit if you don't take to efficient play very quickly.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It will save the skills in the bar for each weapon set, pretty much. The way it works now is identical to if you were to unequip and equip from your inventory. Skills from the weapons are 'forgotten' if you slot a different skill from, say, your chest in that spot and swap back.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

dyzzy posted:

It will save the skills in the bar for each weapon set, pretty much. The way it works now is identical to if you were to unequip and equip from your inventory. Skills from the weapons are 'forgotten' if you slot a different skill from, say, your chest in that spot and swap back.

Nice! Gimmick build full steam ahead.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Insurrectionist posted:

For a new player I'd recommend something other than BV, it's strong but the playstyle can definitely feel clunky and you want some decently expensive stuff before it gets really good, which might take a good bit if you don't take to efficient play very quickly.

Good point. Is there something you'd suggest instead?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
e:n/m

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 6, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ego Trip posted:

If you want to smash stuff, anything Molten Strike is strong and fun and you can probably find a build easily. I haven't played it in ages so I don't have one myself. Arc traps/totems same thing if you don't mind placing things to do the damage. Similarly, pretty much any Necromancer builds are also basically guaranteed to be strong based on the lack of changes in the patchnotes. Honestly the number of builds I've played in the last year that were both A: new player friendly and B: actually good are about 0 so I'm not the best to advise you on this.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ego Trip posted:

Arc totems has worked well for me in the past.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2201648

It does loads of DPS, the totems extend your range which helps keep you safe, they can even pull aggro and tank a bit, and it's cheap and fun to play. The only downside is that your main defence is range and the totems. Aside from that you've basically just got a big slug of health (and mana with Mind over Matter) so anything that does get close will hurt pretty bad.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
also someone talk to me about Reave I've literally never tried it

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

McFrugal posted:

The language used with Bonechill implies that you don't need to inflict chill with the supported skill to get the increased damage taken.

Supported skills have increased effect of Chill on Enemies. Enemies in Chilling Areas from Supported Skills take increased Cold Damage over Time, and have Damage Taken increased by Chill Effect. Enemies Chilled by Supported Skills take increased Cold Damage over Time and have damage taken increased by Chill Effect.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Molten Strike JUGG or anything Champion would probably be good for a new player

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Old school self-cast Arc elementalist is still viable and something I will always suggest to new players. It has a very fast clear, incredibly simple setup, long range, and makes you look like a loving crazy badass as you cover the world in lightning and explosions. Weakness is it falls short of newer variations like arc traps or totems.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Zephro posted:

You'll feel really bad if the stacks ever fall off but if you can play fast enough it's a lot of fun

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ego Trip posted:

I'd recommend a 'normal' build that does one of the three main archetypes:

1. Attacking with a melee weapon
2. Attacking with a bow
3. Casting a spell

Sunder is a good attack since it has good area of effect, and a relatively large range. Advanced mode you can work on a different skill for bosses, but if you keep up with your equipment you should do fine with just sunder, on something like this. Slayer has some really good leech effects to help keep you alive.

[3.4] League Starter W.O.E Sund Slayer / Uber Lab Sprinter / T1-10 Mapper / High Damage Mitigation

I didn't see a real current Tornado Shot guide - that's kind of the 'default' boring bow attack. But you might try this Ranger build that uses the relatively new Herald of Agony skill, which gives you a pet that scales off of how many times you've poisoned things.

[3.5] TOXIC RAIN + HERALD OF AGONY Pathfinder Build (6-8K life) (UBER ELDER done!) +VIDEO GUIDE!

Arc Witch is a normal spellcaster - if you don't like casting it yourself, there's other builds for Templar that use totems, or Shadows that use traps - but if you're pretty new a "self-casting" spell is good to get a feel for things.

[3.4] Enki's Arc Witch - a beginner & SSF-friendly Lightning Caster - All Content & Mapmods

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Zephro posted:

I haven't played a reave build but it looks pretty straightforward, you just swing in a big arc. Alkaizer plays it all the time with a shield so it's probably still pretty decent

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd think that if you are reading a guide then a traper or totem build would be easier than self casting mostly because of the targeting mechanics. Its just mechanically simpler

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Zephro posted:

I played it in incursion I think, with blade flurry for single target. I ended up always using blade flurry as the aoe didnt feel that bad and it did way more damage.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I spent this morning coming up with my first build ever and I can't wait for it to totally suck rear end when actually implemented.

- Ascendant Champion + Pathfinder
- Using an Imperial claw with T1 attack speed and T1 flat lightning damage (2.1 aps base)
- Lycosidae
- Loreweave
- Frenzy + cast on crit + power charge on crit + ele focus + lightning pen + (arc or ball lightning)
- Wrath and Herald of Thunder
- 3-mod Gear focused on attack speed, life, resists, crit, crit multi ammy
- 2-mod Jewels with life, flat lightning to spells, crit, crit multi for spells/lightning
- Tree focused on attack speed, 6 power charges, 4 frenzy charges, crit multi, lightning/ele dmg, lightning pen, 6 jewels

With poo poo gear plugged in at level 90 I've got:
5600 life
6.03 aps with frenzy attack (71,500 shaper dps)
6.72 aps with shield charge (!!)
15,000 average shaper hit with ball lightning.

The math gets harder here. I should crit 3.84 times per second and each ball lightning should hit 6 times so 345K dps there = 416K shaper DPS with poo poo starting gear.

I'll probably switch some things up. I figured claws would be best because my tree is right next to Claws of the Magpie for an extra 27% attack speed. If I feel too squishy I'll probably switch from heart of thunder to phase acrobatics.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

dyzzy posted:

Supported skills have increased effect of Chill on Enemies. Enemies in Chilling Areas from Supported Skills take increased Cold Damage over Time, and have Damage Taken increased by Chill Effect. Enemies Chilled by Supported Skills take increased Cold Damage over Time and have damage taken increased by Chill Effect.

I think the thing I don't understand about this gem is what exactly constitutes "Chilling Areas"? How many Cold spells also apply a DOT?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I think the thing I don't understand about this gem is what exactly constitutes "Chilling Areas"? How many Cold spells also apply a DOT?

New Arctic Breath makes chilling areas and does DOT. Vortex DOTs.

Also, looks like you could attach Bonechill to a utility chiller and have a different skill to actually do the bulk of your damage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sab669 posted:

Cold snap, vortex and now arctic breath

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
e:fb hard

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Andy Dufresne posted:

I spent this morning coming up with my first build ever and I can't wait for it to totally suck rear end when actually implemented.

- Using an Imperial claw with T1 attack speed and T1 flat lightning damage (2.1 aps base)
- Lycosidae
- Loreweave
- Frenzy + cast on crit + power charge on crit + ele focus + lightning pen + (arc or ball lightning)
- 2-mod Jewels with life, flat lightning to spells, crit, crit multi for spells/lightning
- Tree focused on attack speed, 6 power charges, 4 frenzy charges, crit multi, lightning/ele dmg, lightning pen, 6 jewels

5600 life

The math gets harder here. I should crit 3.84 times per second and each ball lightning should hit 6 times so 345K dps there = 416K shaper DPS with poo poo starting gear.

I'll probably switch some things up. I figured claws would be best because my tree is right next to Claws of the Magpie for an extra 27% attack speed. If I feel too squishy I'll probably switch from heart of thunder to phase acrobatics.

What are you doing for sustain? LGOH I guess?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sab669 posted:

Just the three I think

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Arctic_Breath (revamped in new patch)
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vortex
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Cold_Snap

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Andy Dufresne posted:

- Lycosidae
- Loreweave

5600 life

I feel like your crit rate is way too low here, replace pcoc with ics and use a different way to sustain charges imo. rear end mark during clear, OoS-PCoC on bosses

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I knew the new Breath did/will, but I forgot about Vortex and Cold Snap - so I was like "Surely they didn't make this gem just to support a SINGLE revamped skill...?" but the wikia site is blocked at work so I couldn't check :(

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of those impale for clear and flurry for single target? Like just phys crit and atk spd so i should work right?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Papercut posted:

What are you doing for sustain? LGOH I guess?

I'll have to get the lab boot enchant and I'll use Mind Drinker for mana until then. The claw has 46 lgoh so that's 277 life/s + whatever I leach.

If that's not enough I'm using path of the duelist so I'l right next to vitality void, just hadn't planned on going there.

dyzzy posted:

I feel like your crit rate is way too low here, replace pcoc with ics and use a different way to sustain charges imo. rear end mark during clear, OoS-PCoC on bosses

Thanks, I will play around with that setup tonight. Hadn't settled on a curse or how to apply curses yet.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

DontMockMySmock posted:

So I've done Slayer Terminus Est flicker strike before, and it was hella fun. Does anyone have any opinion on the other flicker strike builds (red trail, Oro's, etc.) and what ascendancies are best for them? I was thinking about trying out Oro's this league.

Oro flicker trickster is strange but works well. Slayer jugg and chief I think are most common for that

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think BV Elementalist is a great new player character. It's extremely strong, the crunchy Herald of Ice explosions are super satisfying, and you learn extremely quickly after getting the BV gem whether you love or hate the playstyle.

If you hate it, just stick with the arc you've been using - you won't have to respec much if at all. If you love it, congratulations, you're playing an extremely strong and fast build that can take you all the way to Shaper easily.

The whole stutter step playstyle is the same as any other selfcast spell, but no other selfcast spell has the same combination of multi screen clears (hella satisfying) and boss melting DPS (also hella satisfying) together.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

- Lycosidae
- Loreweave

5600 life

You'd probably be better off with a dagger if you're not too attached to the LGOH from the claw, due to how much more crit you can get. Also, do you have a crit mod on your claw?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
BV elementalist is a totally fine starter build even for newer players IMO. Inpulsa's is just icing on the cake.

re: Oro's Flicker - It's fun and fast as hell, and very flexible. Raider, Slayer, Chieftain, and Elementalist all work great for it. Even Jugg should work well, and counteracts the downside of extra phys damage taken.

I've narrowed my starter build choice down to a dedicated tanky labfarmer of some sort, but I want to melee attack and not be a warchief totem build. Probably using Smite, but I'll try out other red gem melee attacks (Sunder, MS, TecSlam, EQ) and see what feels the best.

I'm thinking true dual-wield using axes, like a Soul Taker and then a rare siege axe. I just can't decide on an Ascendancy!

- Jugg: just go RT and be super beefy, stun immune, 8-10 endurance charges, lots of damage reduction and regen, can walk through uber lab in my sleep but it won't map fast.
- Champion: perma fortify, stun immune, lots of armor and evasion, Worthy Foe lets me consider full ele conversion (Smite + PtL) with EO for massive damage. Faster mapping than Jugg.
- Slayer: leechlord is always A+ for lab, 20% cull, bleed immune, but Headsman is mostly a waste for Izaro fights and this would be most susceptible to getting 1-shot out of these 3 options. Fastest mapper of the lot due to AoE and Onslaught.

Somebody pick for me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Can a mob have multiple sources of chill going? Like can I have vortex as my bonechill source and artic for my main damage without risking bonechill not sticking?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

McFrugal posted:

You'd probably be better off with a dagger if you're not too attached to the LGOH from the claw, due to how much more crit you can get. Also, do you have a crit mod on your claw?

I didn't have crit on my claw. Swapping out pcoc for inc crit strikes and adding 30% crit strike chance to my claw makes my effective crit chance 94%. I'm hesitant to go with daggers because it would be a slower base and I'd have less access to attack speed on the tree.

The "new" shaper dps though is 78500 + 6.03 * .936 * 13,400 * 6 = 532K. If I could find a way to fit in slower projectiles that number would go wayyyy up, but I don't know what green gem I would use for arc when I'm clearing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can a mob have multiple sources of chill going? Like can I have vortex as my bonechill source and artic for my main damage without risking bonechill not sticking?

I think it uses whichever chill is strongest and that'll probably be the one with bonechill since the gem has built in chill effect.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What are the pluses and minuses of going Sabo Arc Traps vs. something-else Arc Totems?

The only totem build I ever played was an RF thing like three years ago and traps seem way, way stronger but I feel like I'm missing something important.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Mentat Radnor posted:

Somebody pick for me.

Slayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Thank you.