Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Awesome! posted:

mathil posted his league starter video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtjuLFpS3Q8

ice spear totem scion actually seems pretty sweet and i want to try that now

After he butchered the word hierophant for the sixth time I had to stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Had shortlisted arc totems heiro, ED trickster (or whatever ed/contagion variant is best now) and lightning traps Sabo as my league starter

Gonna go lightning trap Sabo - give it a practice run after work today seeing as league doesn't start until early tomorrow morning local time which sucks

Can I design a custom neversink filter now or do I have to wait until the league actually starts

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Brittle cocs

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

aejix posted:

Gonna go lightning trap Sabo - give it a practice run after work today seeing as league doesn't start until early tomorrow morning local time which sucks

You'll need a clear skill in there. LS does a great damage but not a great clear skill and fast bosses will be a pain.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

McFrugal posted:

I'm gonna do triple herald BV elementalist with Purity instead of Ash. Never tried BV before.

You can cram in all four with a bit of mana reservation.

I'm starting BV Chieftan

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug

Tai posted:

You'll need a clear skill in there. LS does a great damage but not a great clear skill and fast bosses will be a pain.

I figured this was the clear skill (the shitload of lightning balls that keep appearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M8TTEre7QQ

Was going to follow this guide https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2187283

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Looking at starter builds and I have choice paralysis. I know I definitely don't want to play arc. Is tri herald BV ele league starter viable?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Only Arctic Breath specifically says it creates Chilling Area. I am hoping GGG will update the tooltips of spells like Vortex to say that they create Chilling Area, but my assumption right now is that only AB does it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

aejix posted:

I figured this was the clear skill (the shitload of lightning balls that keep appearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M8TTEre7QQ

Was going to follow this guide https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2187283

Yeah lightning ball will work.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Matazat posted:

Looking at starter builds and I have choice paralysis. I know I definitely don't want to play arc. Is tri herald BV ele league starter viable?

Yes but a little clunky. Keeping up more stacks that you need to if you have poo poo gear as a league starter can get boring (for some people). It's a popular second character once you can dump money into it so you can keep 2-4 stacks up for clearing with good gear and then then 10 stack and rape bosses.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

Tai posted:

Yeah lightning ball will work.

Sweet. Although I am still tempted by soulwrest summoner. I think I started my first 3 leagues with SRS and now with the bat MTX for SRS I think I could handle using it until level 70 or whenever soulwrest comes online

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

please knock Mom! posted:

I think I'm going champion with loreweave and a big two hander

text me

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Benson Cunningham posted:

After he butchered the word hierophant for the sixth time I had to stop watching.

It's such a normal everyday word.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tai posted:

Yes but a little clunky. Keeping up more stacks that you need to if you have poo poo gear as a league starter can get boring (for some people). It's a popular second character once you can dump money into it so you can keep 2-4 stacks up for clearing with good gear and then then 10 stack and

c'mon

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I can't believe I'm so hyped over this dumb game

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Mentat Radnor posted:

BV elementalist is a totally fine starter build even for newer players IMO. Inpulsa's is just icing on the cake.

re: Oro's Flicker - It's fun and fast as hell, and very flexible. Raider, Slayer, Chieftain, and Elementalist all work great for it. Even Jugg should work well, and counteracts the downside of extra phys damage taken.

I've narrowed my starter build choice down to a dedicated tanky labfarmer of some sort, but I want to melee attack and not be a warchief totem build. Probably using Smite, but I'll try out other red gem melee attacks (Sunder, MS, TecSlam, EQ) and see what feels the best.

I'm thinking true dual-wield using axes, like a Soul Taker and then a rare siege axe. I just can't decide on an Ascendancy!

- Jugg: just go RT and be super beefy, stun immune, 8-10 endurance charges, lots of damage reduction and regen, can walk through uber lab in my sleep but it won't map fast.
- Champion: perma fortify, stun immune, lots of armor and evasion, Worthy Foe lets me consider full ele conversion (Smite + PtL) with EO for massive damage. Faster mapping than Jugg.
- Slayer: leechlord is always A+ for lab, 20% cull, bleed immune, but Headsman is mostly a waste for Izaro fights and this would be most susceptible to getting 1-shot out of these 3 options. Fastest mapper of the lot due to AoE and Onslaught.

Somebody pick for me.

I was basically considering the same exact choices. I think Champion is going to be annoying in lab without the sheer damage reduction and regen of Jugg or the Slayer overleach. Slayer with a worm flask seems like it should be plenty tanky enough to do full key runs and be able to transition to mapping and bosses much easier than Jugg as far as clearspeed goes. I'm going to start by going Cyclone with a Starforge and maybe respec to Lacerate if I decide I actually hate Cyclone.

I tend to play kind of squishy characters though and I really hate bad clear speed so keep that in mind.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Zephro posted:

Sweet, none of those are a build I want to play so at least I won't have to pay 100 chaos for some low-tier unique just because it got Mathil-ified this league :v:

While this is certainly a thing if Mathil uses a cheap but rare unique in his early builds, all of these builds (and most of his starter builds for the last few leagues tbh) have a great deal of gear flexibility to make this not much of an issue. Nothing Mathil says is going to make spell-totem or melee-champion more or less expensive to start because they are already such good and universal starters, with low specific gear requirements.

Tai posted:

Yes but a little clunky. Keeping up more stacks that you need to if you have poo poo gear as a league starter can get boring (for some people). It's a popular second character once you can dump money into it so you can keep 2-4 stacks up for clearing with good gear and then then 10 stack and rape bosses.

It's a seriously good league starter - your gear ramps to clear trash in white maps with 1 stack very quickly, and if you prioritize duration (I used Efficacy and got both clusters, which felt like enough), you can keep 3 stacks up with very little effort which takes you into yellows. The last time I started this was before Herald of Purity, too, which gives you a lot of damage early in build progression. I would say that it's a build that rewards some early trading, and buying a level 20 BV when yours is naturally at like 15 is a huge upgrade, and well worth doing. If I didn't have such a hard-on for Impale, I'd be starting it again.

On that note, can I get a backup guild invite on ElegantGazelle?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Does everyone know poebuddy? I think it deserves a link in the OP.

seems like POB for a browser, good for console players with a tablet maybe?

And I nominate http://poe-roadmap.com

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Saying BV is a strange skill that may or may not be to your liking is very much right.
Saying Ele BV is not an extremely strong league starter, with or without Inpulsa is straight up wrong
Saying Ele BV is clunky to play and then suggesting MS, which clears maps roughly at the speed of continental drifts, is :ironicat:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I did say that BV is a good league starter just a little clunky for some people!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Zenithe posted:

It's such a normal everyday word.

I've been saying he-arrow-fint but apparently its actualy high-row-fint

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

I've been saying he-arrow-fint but apparently its actualy high-row-fint

I'm calling my congressman right now I suggest you all do the same.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2255988

This build sounds fun, and SkeleMancer was my favorite build of D2 (Except for Maggot Lair)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

pokchu posted:

You can cram in all four with a bit of mana reservation.

I'm starting BV Chieftan

Well it's elementalist so you've already got 25% reduced reservation. The build I'm looking at keeps 700 mana unreserved with MoM for a bit more ehp. I figure that's okay since you don't have to constantly cast BV and can deal with an occasional empty mana pool. I'd rather have the extra 700 ehp than the extra 10-15% more damage from Ash.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Zephro posted:

also someone talk to me about Reave I've literally never tried it

Reave is very solid overall, I played a reave dual wield slayer/jugg ascendant for all of delve and did uber elder and got down to delve depth 450ish with it. Coulda went farther, but :effort: I had a mediocre stat stick, so now after the dual wield nerf the build would need a real offhand to work and would deal less damage afterwards, but it would still work fine. I killed uber elder wearing ventor's gambles because I couldn't be bothered to buy steel rings for just 1 fight. Having real rings would probably make up for the damage lost by the mediocre stat stick I had.

Reave is very good for map clearing. Once you get up to 8 stacks with vaal reave, if you go fast enough you can maintain those 8 stacks with normal reave, meaning your reave will be hitting most of the screen for most of the map. If you lose the 8 stacks you'll generally have another vaal reave up to get them back anyways. However, for bosses the damage is going to feel bad unless you have extremely good gear. Fortunately, for bosses you can just swap in blade flurry and maybe 1-2 other support gems and boom you're a blade flurry build now.

Don't level with reave, it feels like crap while leveling. Use sunder or some other actual good leveling skill. Scaevas make fine starter swords until you can afford good high DPS rares. Go crit, not RT. Champion is going to be way easier to gear and start with than scion, and his skill tree will be generic enough that if you don't like reave you can swap to any other melee skill without needing to blow many respec points.

J fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 7, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really can't help myself but laugh at everyone (not necessarily in this thread, I mean in general) absolutely losing their goddamn minds about stat sticks, like the game is somehow unplayable without them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Kind of thinking of starting with a herald of agony build using either toxic rain or blade vortex to generate stacks. Probably eventually transitioning into cwdt+bv with innocence/ngamahu to turn it into a poison walking simulator.

Or I'll just rebuild my arc trapper, maybe go life instead of CI this time. But CI was really nice for the incursion poison guys.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Awesome! posted:

mathil posted his league starter video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtjuLFpS3Q8

ice spear totem scion actually seems pretty sweet and i want to try that now

It does look pretty good but I don't get the EE interaction. Totems will trigger it after the first hit right increasing the cold res. Even a quick hitting trap like lighting spire wouldn't keep up with 4 or 5 totems shooting 9 projectiles.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1070829635888246784

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Boo, multiple totems.

I kind of expected that though.

I reckon war banner that early will be great for pretty much everything that can fit it though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

lamentable dustman posted:

It does look pretty good but I don't get the EE interaction. Totems will trigger it after the first hit right increasing the cold res. Even a quick hitting trap like lighting spire wouldn't keep up with 4 or 5 totems shooting 9 projectiles.

EE specifices that "you" have to hit, in PoE terminology that means things that do things for you by proxy don't count.

e: VVV

gonadic io posted:

Because EE is in Artifice, the totems don't reset the EE buff which just remains. Only the trap/golems hits cause the debug to exist or change.

also this.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 7, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

aejix posted:

Can I design a custom neversink filter now or do I have to wait until the league actually starts
The filter will apparently be updated a few hours before league start, but you can probably throw together a leveling one right now.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

lamentable dustman posted:

Because EE is in Artifice, the totems don't reset the EE buff which just remains. Only the trap/golems hits cause the debug to exist or change.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Vasudus posted:

I really can't help myself but laugh at everyone (not necessarily in this thread, I mean in general) absolutely losing their goddamn minds about stat sticks, like the game is somehow unplayable without them.

It's funny to me because until I read the dev post on the nerf I didn't really know what a stat stick actually was I'm so bad at this game lol

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dyzzy posted:

EE specifices that "you" have to hit, in PoE terminology that means things that do things for you by proxy don't count.
totems do proc ee actually since they are basically extensions of you. the trick in this case is ee only applies to the gem in the ring

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dyzzy posted:

Mines, traps, and totems all count as "you". It works because Malachai's Artifice gives EE only to the gem socketed in it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Oh wow I've been thinking like that forever. Welp thanks guys

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 7, 2018

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

gonadic io posted:

Oh neat, never noticed that wording before in Malachai's Artifice. Always that it was global EE.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So I changed up a Quill Rain in PoB to have the new nerf, and my Toxic Rain PF still had slightly more/equal dps with it than a Tempest. I don't entirely understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I'll probably regret it, but I'm considering starting with a Frost Blades Assassin so I can respec into an autobomber once I have the currency.