Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Game looks bad yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The White Dragon posted:

"what is the best way to make a colorful post apocalypse setting? let's make everything brown and rusted and burned-out but then everyone spray paints it in neon"

color actually improves your disposition on your surroundings and is psychological in nature

we've all been priming ourselves to an actual brown apocalypse setting

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Siljmonster posted:

color actually improves your disposition on your surroundings and is psychological in nature

we've all been priming ourselves to an actual brown apocalypse setting

yes or you could just make the underlying aesthetic more interesting than brown and rusted and then just adding paint to it

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

"what is the best way to make a colorful post apocalypse setting? let's make everything brown and rusted and burned-out but then everyone spray paints it in neon"

You say this like that isn't what's actually going to happen within the next 50 years in real life

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The White Dragon posted:

yes or you could just make the underlying aesthetic more interesting than brown and rusted and then just adding paint to it

Idk, I think it works for RAGE 2, but for some reason I think they missed the mark here

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

X

Fallout 76 is a video game phone book.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Idk, I think it works for RAGE 2, but for some reason I think they missed the mark here

It's too much of the fuschia for me, there needed to be more weird neon colors if they wanted to go for the garish punk wasteland look

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

DoctorGonzo posted:

That looks loving awful

to be fair, aren't AAA Ubisoft games typically guaranteed to be coherently made and of a certain quality? like, they won't be amazing games or memorable games or revolutionary by any means, but they'll still be video games that hit the usual checkboxes?

e: I mean, if we're comparing it to FO76, which I don't think you're doing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And I'll add, I have no confidence that Bethesda has the people and competence in place to fix this. Normally Gamebryo problems aren't too big of a deal because it's still a single player game, so you can get a fan patch or not, whatever. Here it's critical. A small number of people can bring down any server.

I think since Oblivion (so basically a decade ago now) Bethesda got so comfortable with releasing buggy poo poo since it would sell millions regardless and slavishly devoted fans would mod and fix it for them for free anyways that they eventually came to take all of this for granted as their default business model and now, suddenly, they are shocked that their bullshit isn't working this time when pushed far enough.

Bethesda is the hopeless toxic addict and gamers are the doormat consumers that enabled them in their addiction to money and incompetence.

This poo poo has been a long time coming anyways: remember that they were the OG crooks that started the Horse Armor DLC microtransaction bullshit trend before they were even called microtransactions. This was way before loot crates and real money in-game shops were even a concept in gaming like they are today.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 7, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Admittedly my personal info has been out there forever between Facebook/Target/Whatever the hack of the week is, etc. But I'd be pretty mad too if it became public that I played this game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

More like Fortnite 76

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That'll definitely take the wind out of rage 2. Nice headshot Ubisoft

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariong posted:

Cyberpunkey Monkey, I am glad you enjoy the game. For your own sake, I hope Bethesda manages to bring it to a state where it is actually playable.

It's playable for me. I'm willing to give them some slack. This is their first online game. I don't think I'll ever require my games to be industrially hardened... I just don't give that many fucks about video games, but I'm sure that I'll never give a single gently caress about nylon bags.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
That Far Cry game looks gross. I bought 4 on sale a little bit ago and probably will never finish it because not only was the world pretty uninteresting but I also couldn't take the "wacky" characters and their unskippable cutscenes. That game looks like they took the mentality that led to characters like that and then vomited it all over the whole game.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

MariusLecter posted:

X

Amazing.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Tei posted:

Why would somebody do this? This is like stealing into a war museum to use the weapons there? the quake netcode have historical interest and probably have inspired many games netcode. It also may also have inspired much better netcodes (that started with a completely different approach precisely to limitations of the quake one).
A group of people back in 2014 did exactly that, and it's honestly a perfect allegory for Fallout 76:
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-ukrainian-rebels-new-weapon-is-a-world-war-ii-tank-32a1e23216e1

quote:

Ukraine’s anti-government rebels have been getting help from Russia. Now they may be getting help from Josef Stalin. Or rather, a JS-3 Stalin heavy tank dating back to World War II. The Stalin tank in question is a museum piece in more way than one. It’s actually sitting on a pedestal, apparently as some kind of monument in Ukraine to the Great Patriotic War.

In this Youtube video, released by a group called Anti-Maidan, white smoke billows from the tank’s engine.“Today local MacGyvers from Kostiantynivka, Donetsk People’s Republic have taken [a] World War II-era monument JS-3 heavy tank and brought it back to life,” according to video caption. “Good Soviet engineering is still able to serve today, and will serve in fight against [the] Kiev junta.”

Unfortunately for the Donetsk People’s Republic armored corps and its talented mechanics, the tank doesn’t seem to do much. In the video, it remains solidly on its pedestal as it belches white smoke, raising the question of whether the rebels plan to resort to chemical warfare by asphyxiating their enemies with carbon monoxide.

Even if the tank were able to move—and move under its own power—there’s the small matter of finding ammunition for its 70-year-old cannon.
You can force ancient, broken poo poo back to life, but it'll still be useless and pretty drat broken.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

X

Really like the "all of your info has been leaked anyways, no big deal" response not realizing the FO76 leak apparently targets the people who are very vulnerable to really lovely scams based on their purchase history.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Seriously though I knew this game was gonna be buggy and kinda broken, but holy gently caress I had no idea it would be this bad, and that Bethesda's incompetence would extend to other stuff. In less than one week we've had Bethesda scamming people with nylon bags after they sent their youtube shills real canvas ones, $100 Nuka Cola rum bottles made of cheap plastic, and of course there's that gigantic loving data breach.

I just wanted to laugh at a buggy game and hope that eventually people could have fun with it. This is so much more entertaining than I could have possibly expected.

Also loving lol that people have already hit the endgame content and that it's not even a spoiler to say what it is (launching a nuke). Yeah, nice long-term game planning there Bethesda.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Saladin Rising posted:

Seriously though I knew this game was gonna be buggy and kinda broken, but holy gently caress I had no idea it would be this bad, and that Bethesda's incompetence would extend to other stuff. In less than one week we've had Bethesda scamming people with nylon bags after they sent their youtube shills real canvas ones, $100 Nuka Cola rum bottles made of cheap plastic, and of course there's that gigantic loving data breach.

I just wanted to laugh at a buggy game and hope that eventually people could have fun with it. This is so much more entertaining than I could have possibly expected.

Also loving lol that people have already hit the endgame content and that it's not even a spoiler to say what it is (launching a nuke). Yeah, nice long-term game planning there Bethesda.

People hit endgame content during the BETA

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Donovan Trip posted:

Other choice quotes include devs talking fondly of finding bits of Morrowind code and references in the 76 engine as if it's something to be proud of

As of fallout 4 the item category that includes drugs and stuff is still called ALCH (as in, alchemy ingredients), which you can see when you search for item IDs in the console.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i love game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

That's the consensus, all right. There weren't enough dialogue options, so it must have been a really lovely game.

Bethseda put about as much effort into fallout 76 as fallout 4's story.

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It's playable for me. I'm willing to give them some slack. This is their first online game.

Battlespire was their first online game. Also with no npcs, vendors, or gold. You can play it still just load up gamespy.

Fallout 76 is bethseda's second attempt to add multiplayer to the elder scrolls series.

Not really unexpected, far cry has been on a downward trend since the second half of far cry 3.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 7, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Bethseda put about as much effort into fallout 76 as fallout 4's story.

Battlespire was their first online game. Also with no npcs, vendors, or gold. You can play it still just load up gamespy.

Fallout 76 is bethseda's second attempt to add multiplayer to the elder scrolls series.

:cawg: I laughed hard irl outloud.

I didn't even know about Battlespire, but 1997 was a different universe online... I played a bit of Oblivion back in the aughts, but didn't really get into TES until I put a hundred hours into Skyrim in 2014.

---

This dude was going ham with the cutouts in his camp, we waved, thumbsed up, and then I moseyed on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Not really unexpected, far cry has been on a downward trend since the second half of far cry 3.

Although I have to say I've been tempted to pick up 5 just for the editor.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Poor guy is gonna be pissed when those get overwritten

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i've begun setting up bases in lovely, boring locations in an attempt to avoid CAMP eviction

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
EMERGENT GAMEPLAY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Obsidian is releasing an actual Fallout-type RPG in 2019, so no need to keep playing this game

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait for Falloout 76 to crush The Outer Worlds. Obsidian doesn't stand a chance!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

THIS LOOKS MONEY

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
They're also getting a single player space RPG out before Bethesda releases their new space single player RPG :laffo:

That 84 metacritic thing clearly stoked the bitter flames of revenge

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
unless the outer worlds has a cash shop with lovely textures for a few bucks a pop, its going to fail miserably

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
also look the dialogue system has different options based on what skills you have, like you made decisions and they play out in the world, like you're out there in the game playing a role

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1070877886566031360

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ElNarez posted:

also look the dialogue system has different options based on what skills you have, like you made decisions and they play out in the world, like you're out there in the game playing a role

*Glass him*[Attack][What the hell?!]

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ElNarez posted:

That picture alone is enough to seriously pique my interest. Gonna watch this for sure

edit:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 7, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

THE loving MOON posted:

That picture alone is enough to seriously peak my interest. Gonna watch this for sure

Pique.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Saladin Rising posted:

Like I said back there, I can think of no explanation other than some disgruntled employees trying to tank the company. Mere stupidity can't explain this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dang, look at how much care is in that. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Game is gonna rule despite the fact that they will somehow both include Johnny Guitar again and the NV bug that made it play 5x more often than every other song