Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Lacrosse posted:

This is my experience with collecting succulents:

Common succulents: crassula (jade plant), sempervivum (hens & chicks), aloe, sedum (stonecrop), cacti
Uncommon succulents: hoya, lithops (butt plant), titanopsis (mimicry plant), gasteria (ox tongue)

I'm so happy someone else calls them butts, my friends say it's juvenile of me.

You can also look into caudex-having plants like Dorstenia, they have basically the same care requirements and have hilariously fat bulbous butts. I have a dorstenia foetida that looks like a weird little alien. Sometimes it makes weird alien flowers and then shoots seeds all over the kitchen at high speed.

Check out these good thick boys: https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/266

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
These all look super rad, thanks!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Beachcomber posted:

Hi!

My mom grows succulents in a haphazard way. She has a LOT of them, but she doesn't even know what a lot of them are called. She gets most of them at big box stores in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, does anyone know of some uncommon ones she's unlikely to have?

Post (lots) of pics please!

I'm always excited to see lithops, conophytum or living stones because they're hard to grow around here. Red flames (crassula capitella) are pretty. Big old burro tails in hanging pots are sweet. Bunny succulents are ridiculous (monilaria). Really anything that has been repotted and grown beyond the little 2-4" crappy-might-not-grow succulents you get in grocery stores.

Big old jades that aren't moldy and are loved are by far my favorite. Eves pin or needle I would say have been the most exciting to watch grow. I HIGHLY rec this to any succy lover. I make little marks next to my window sill with the date as it grows.

B33rChiller posted:

Pearl necklace is pretty unique, but I don't know about rarity.
Uhhhh, make sure you include the word succulent in your googling for that one.

I've heard them called string of pearls, maybe a little Freudian slip?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Post (lots) of pics please!

It'll have to wait til Christmas because she's on the opposite coast. Except PA doesn't have a coast. I'll take haphazard pics of everything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

B33rChiller posted:

Pearl necklace is pretty unique, but I don't know about rarity.
Uhhhh, make sure you include the word succulent in your googling for that one.

That... might not help

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fuzzy_logic posted:

I'm so happy someone else calls them butts, my friends say it's juvenile of me.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Thicc

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Looking for ideas on how to keep thorny cacti from dying in the cold. Specifically I have this ~6ft cholla cactus by my front door that whenever we have our mild freezes (central texas) ends up 'wilting' somewhat and I have to cut most of the plant off and let it regrow. Which isn't always the worst thing because it can get pretty unwieldy, but for once it'd be nice to keep it in tact through the winter.

The barbed thorns make plankets and the like a no-go. I could use some huge stakes and make like a 'tent' around it i guess so the fabric wouldn't touch the plant, but the plant is big enough and the freezes are short enough to make it not worth going through all that.

Mostly I'm wondering if it's a horrible idea to use some kind of electric heater I could stick out there on cold nights. Like a heat lamp or chicken coop heater or something. The fact that I can't find any products specifically for this purpose makes me think it's not a good idea, but i'm not sure why.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stick some Hot Hands on the spines

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

When I had a grapefruit tree I would cover it with a blanket and plastic sheet and hang a 100w incandescent light bulb or two in the branches as an easy heater, and I’ve built a little tent on the same principle to cover some little baby gingers so they could get established. Without something to contain the heat and keep the wind away, a heat lamp is going to be heating the entire neighborhood and not do any good.

At some point I got tired of it and decided if a plant I didn’t just adore couldn’t take a little freeze it didn’t have a place in my yard, and now I don’t have a grapefruit tree. So, you probably can save it but it might also be a huge pain in the butt that isn’t really worth it.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
How about some incandescent twinkle lights? It’s like wrapping the cactus in a bunch of half-watt heaters. I imagine then you could tent or wrap it with something if you needed further heat retention.

I use it to prevent die-back from light frosts for my tropicals in an emergency when simply tenting it may not be enough.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:justpost:

Just about finished moving everything inside and rearranging, so how bout some spring-now progress pics?

Hens and chicks. Going to leave these outside, actually, they're pretty hardy. Though ratings are always for 'inground', not pots, so who knows. I have more inside anyway

One of my weirder lemons, which kept sending off offshoots from 1 specific spot so I just let it do its thing

I think this is a sedum palmeri, which has taken off from some cuttings I took from the finance's great-aunt's house

Makeshift succulent incubator. That's some Purple Pearls, a Moonstone, two random green leaves that had fallen off at a hardware store, and some Stonecrop in the top right

The supervisor

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
There's something so satisfying seeing a perfect little rosette growing at the base of a parent leaf. I'm going to have to try propagating succulents at the store!

Speaking of propagating, we got a huge spider plant with a shipment. She was super pregnant and had hundreds of babies on her. We're surprised no one's purchased it, 250 plants for the price of one?

I've since removed and planted most of them and they're just about ready to be moved into bigger growing pots now.

Also my boss gave me two Philodendron 'Selloum' because one of the two was a bit rotty at the crown, I also snagged a cute Arrowhead Plant that I've always loved but no one else did. Now I'm at 17 houseplants in my smallish apartment but I feel as if there's room for quintuple that

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also my boss gave me two Philodendron 'Selloum' because one of the two was a bit rotty at the crown, I also snagged a cute Arrowhead Plant that I've always loved but no one else did. Now I'm at 17 houseplants in my smallish apartment but I feel as if there's room for quintuple that

Neat, looks like this (what I think is a) Monstera I got hand-me-down and has done very well

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's definitely a philodendron and not a monstera. The leaves remind me of a xanadu, but there are probably so many varieties I'm not familiar with.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Isn't Monstera also a sub variety of Philodendron? Hard to tell, the internet overlaps these a ton. See also: Silver Pothos and Silver Philodendron have pictures that look exactly the same.

But yea, actually, I think I misremembered and should have said Xanadu

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh! If you ever need help differentiating between Philodendron scandens and Pothos (Epipremnum and Scindapsus), Pothos' leaves do not come out of and leave papery sheaths like those of the philodendron do.

: D

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nosre posted:

Isn't Monstera also a sub variety of Philodendron? Hard to tell, the internet overlaps these a ton. See also: Silver Pothos and Silver Philodendron have pictures that look exactly the same.

But yea, actually, I think I misremembered and should have said Xanadu

Philodendron and Monstera are both genera in the Araceae family. They're pretty similar.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That they are. I at least thought they'd be closer to each other taxonomically than they actually are, though. Surprised to find out Philodendron in a different subfamily of Araceae than Monstera.

Plants, man.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have some kind of philodendron (imperial red?) that I came home to one day seeing a half opened flower bulb thing. It’s been a couple of weeks now and I’ve never seen it open again, and there are two of them. 1. Why don’t it open and 2. Do I need to do anything, like cut it off? Do I just leave it and let nature handle it?

Also, is there a go to database/knowledge base that I can use to properly identify my plants? All I see are blob posts and stores that want to sell me things.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Philodendrons only flower for 2 days or so when they do, and normally in the middle of the night I've found.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Beardcrumb posted:

Philodendrons only flower for 2 days or so when they do, and normally in the middle of the night I've found.

So what do I do with the two flower bloom things? They look just like the closed one here in the middle.

It kinda sucks too because it looks like this particular plant has stopped growing leaves. Not sure if that's related to the flowering though.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what do I do with the two flower bloom things? They look just like the closed one here in the middle.

It kinda sucks too because it looks like this particular plant has stopped growing leaves. Not sure if that's related to the flowering though.

Pretty sure you can snip them off no probs. Should see more leaf growth after that point too.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
My wife has been keeping a basil plant in a pot out on our patio for fresh basil. Are there any good christmas-present type things that I can get which are good for herb gardening? We don't have the ability to do a full on garden in our yard since we rent, but I could get a small planter and potting soil or something for it? Is there technology I can throw money at to like, automate watering the plant or something?

I did some googling for growing herbs, but found a lot of "so you want to start an herb farm and sell herbs at the farmer's market to get rich? You've come to the right place!", which seems a little intense for what I'm thinking of.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

An Aerogarden might be a neat idea: https://www.aerogarden.com/
I haven't used one myself, but I've seen them around; I'd be tempted if I knew where to put it in my house.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Depends on how much space you have, and what the climate is like. My first thought was some kind of greenhouse tent like this one to prevent your herb plants from dying over the winter, but honestly I've never used one so I don't know how effective they are. I do know that when I was a kid my mom would rig up something similar with plastic sheeting from Home Depot to protect her plants, but we were in a part of California where it doesn't often gets to freezing temps anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

I haven't used one myself, but I've seen them around; I'd be tempted if I knew where to put it in my house.

These things are pretty nice if you have the indoor space. Someone gave us one as a gift, and even though we grow most of our stuff outdoors, we still have various herbs and salad greens growing in it. They stay clean and pest-free, the water/fertilization refilling is easy, it gives you more winter flexibility, and the light panel at the top actually puts out enough light to support some other potted plants on the side.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Any good recommendations or suggested reading for plants, botany, etc.? Technical books, interesting reads, histories; I am interested in a lot of different types of texts on the various innumerable forms of gardening, plant biology, and that sort of thing. So if you've got anything you've read personally that enlightened you or that you thoroughly enjoyed or learned from, let me know.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

McSlaughter posted:

Any good recommendations or suggested reading for plants, botany, etc.? Technical books, interesting reads, histories; I am interested in a lot of different types of texts on the various innumerable forms of gardening, plant biology, and that sort of thing. So if you've got anything you've read personally that enlightened you or that you thoroughly enjoyed or learned from, let me know.
Very interested to see what other folks post-I love books in this category as well.

"The Forest Unseen" by David George Haskell-University biology professor tells you everything you never knew about that happens in a square meter of Appalachian cove forest. Not just about plants, but it has a whole lot about plants and is an excellent excellent book. There's a cool chapter about how fungi mate that blew my mind. His other book, "The Songs of the Trees" is good too, but more specifically about trees and a bit preachy at times.

"The Tree" by Colin Tudge-Pretty exhaustive look at the trees of the world (and you had no idea how many wildly different types of trees there are in tropical forests) but also great stuff on tree biology. Some of it gets a bit technical, and he describes about every major family of trees which can get a bit exhausting, but also very fascinating.

"Dirt" by William Bryant Logan-Its a book about dirt, and some of the different things that happen in dirt. Not very technical, very enjoyable to read. His book "Air" is also great. He wrote a book "Oak" which I wouldn't really recommend.

"Second Nature" by Michael Pollan-His first book, and one of my favorites. More a philosophical musing about gardens and gardening and funny stories than a technical or how to book, but it's always an enjoyable read to me. "Botany of Desire" is good too if you haven't read that.

"Native Trees for North American Landscapes" by Guy Sternberg and James Wilson-Sort of a tour of native North American trees with their culture requirements and use in the landscape, as well as a bit about propagation and uses/cultural facts about trees. More a guide for a gardener, and kind of an expensive book, but beautifully photographed and it will make you want to go plant some trees (which you should do!). A good one to borrow from the library.

Gardening in the Humid South" by Edmund O'Rourke and Leon Standifer -Two very folksy retired LSU Horticulture professors talk about gardening in the unique climate of the hot, wet, humid Gulf Coast of the US. Very useful for me personally because that's where I live, but more broadly it is a superb book. I've learned more practical stuff about fertilizer and plant nutrient requirements from this book than anywhere else. They've taught farmers and nurserymen and county extension agents, and are very good at explaining complex, technical stuff about plant biology in layman's terms, and they've got a good sense of humor. They're scientists that know their stuff and have done the research to back it up but still can explain it to folks with a high school education. They have a great explanation of the air-soil-root continuum that I've never seen anywhere else. I can't recommend this book highly enough, especially if you live in the Southeast. You can get it used on Amazon for like $4 so there's no reason not to own it.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

The most interesting book about plants I've read is 'The Hidden Life of Trees' by Peter Wohlleben. It's just an absolute joy to read - exploring all the unexpected processes that happen in forests.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Very interested to see what other folks post-I love books in this category as well.

Great, now I have to read all of these.

I can recommend American Canopy: Trees, Forests, and the Making of a Nation by Eric Rutkow. It's essentially everything there is to say about the history of trees in America, from the importance of trees in early colonization to famous trees to famous people who interacted with trees. Just.... trees. It's a fun read while still being pretty thoroughly researched.

Another good one is the definitive guide to cultivating carnivorous plants, The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato. It's got lots of great pictures, so it makes a good coffee table book too.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Braiding Sweetgrass -- a book about botany written by an indigenous woman who is also a professor. I've heard her book about moss is also pretty good.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I remember liking this a while ago https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Trees-Story-Passion-Daring/dp/0812975596

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That reminds me of this book https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hist...+american+trees

It can be exhausting in its detail, but it's fascinating to me. Much better on western and northern trees than southern-I think all the southern pines combined get about a paragraph and each species of western tree gets pages. It was written in the early 1950s in the real golden age of much of American lumbering, and he has lots of statistics about timber reserves and harvest rates. I come from a long line of foresters and its incredible to read about virgin redwoods/sequoia with hundreds of thousands of board feet of lumber in a single tree. There's lots about the industrial uses of different tree species at that time which is neat to me. A better reference book than one you want to read straight through.

elgarbo posted:

The most interesting book about plants I've read is 'The Hidden Life of Trees' by Peter Wohlleben. It's just an absolute joy to read - exploring all the unexpected processes that happen in forests.
My cousin is a wood scientist and this book drives all his wood/tree scientist friends crazy because he says it is unsupported by much decent research, but I keep meaning to read it anyway because it sounds neat and like just the sort of book I want to read and believe.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've heard them called string of pearls, maybe a little Freudian slip?

Sir Lemming posted:

That... might not help

I realise I'm way behind on this, but let's just call that one a little oopsie ok?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Found this bad boy on Gumtree for $30, RIP trees:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Hirayuki posted:

Aerogardens ARE fun. I have three, sadly a the lights are spent and I have yet to buy replacements.

I find them great for growing miniature roses, actually. Unfortunately the lights faded in strength and so to did the roses but I want to try again with different colors and textures of mini roses.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 10, 2018

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I want to get some privacy film for my north windows where my plants live, but the stuff I'm looking at boosts that it blocks UV light. Will the UV blocking hurt my plants and if so does anyone know where I can get privacy film that doesn't block UV?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lacrosse posted:

I want to get some privacy film for my north windows where my plants live, but the stuff I'm looking at boosts that it blocks UV light. Will the UV blocking hurt my plants and if so does anyone know where I can get privacy film that doesn't block UV?

If I remember right from first year biology, plants use mostly the red and blue parts of the spectrum (reflecting the green). I don't believe they get much from UV except DNA damage, so you're probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The AeroGarden Harvest in Grey is on sale for US$80 on Amazon today!