Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LA Noire fuckin sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

LA Noire fuckin sucks

Sad but true

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

jivjov posted:

Just a heads up for anyone looking for physical copies of Katamari Reroll. GameStops are back on their bullshit of selling Used games at New pricing.

The worst part is that every time they open a new copy they’re required by store policy to lick the cartridge.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Super No Vacancy posted:

LA Noire fuckin sucks

I considered getting LA Noire when it was on sale for $10, but decided to buy this on steam instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHDU47MeRk

I'm pretty sure I made the correct choice of detective game.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Kinda want to get Katamari but is it really $30 worth of content in 2018?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I buy used Switch games and lick them because it’ll be the closest I’ll ever get to making out with someone.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Circle Nine posted:

Phantasy Star 4 is reminding me how much I actually really like jrpgs. Aside from Octopath, what other jrpgs would ya'll recommend that are on switch?

I think I actually liked Battle Chasers more than Octopath.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i've only bought one thing from gamestop recently and it was about a year ago when i bought botw for my gf. they gave me one that had obviously been opened and said it was new so i got my switch from the car, tried to redeem the gold points right there in the store and they'd already been redeemed. the employee was just like OH WE'D BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT COPY and then miraculously found a shinkwrapped one after looking again

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

LA Noire fuckin sucks

I don’t think it loving sucks but it certainly doesn’t feel like a game that took six years to make. A detective game set in a period-accurate recreation of L.A. with ultra-detailed facial motion capture could have been something spectacular, but no part of the game really lives up to its potential. The investigation is shallow and the world feels empty and featureless. It’s certainly unique, though, and I’m glad it exists. It deserves a better sequel and I hope we see one someday.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't want much feedback or any spoilers but as much as I've sung hollow knight's praises, I'm at a point which is just frustratingly terrible rather than just very difficult.

I figure I'm very close to the endgame, having unlocked all the dreamers and the full nail/dream nail, having most of the charms, all but 1 of the worms etc and I'm going around the map finding all the secrets and things previously gated to me before I fight what I assume is the final boss. I've enjoyed most of the challenging parts very much, always feeling like there were very high thresholds of skill required for some of the bosses but that ultimately any time I failed was down to not being good enough or having an appropriate set of charms.

However, I'm in the dream of the one King's guard way down near the hidden stag station. The platforming puzzles with instadeath grinders and thorns on all sides and absolutely minute tolerances to succeed loving blow. It's just antifun game design, compared to the artfulness of most of the rest of it. I know that whatever I'll get at the end of it probably isn't necessary to finish the game but I don't want to just ignore the challenge.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

katamari is the perfect switch game like tetris is the perfect game boy game

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

How much space do switch games take up anyway? Is 128gb gonna be enough storage if I don't intend to buy that many games digital?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Small games like Celeste, or (some) cartridge games like Splatoon, are around 1-2GB.

Bigger downloaded games like Warframe or Starlink run 12ish. I think Doom and Wolfenstein II are like 30?

128 should be fine if you're mostly cartridges.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
La Noire was decent and worth a playthrough, it's has been one of the few Switch games I traded away though

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

overdesigned posted:

Small games like Celeste, or (some) cartridge games like Splatoon, are around 1-2GB.

Bigger downloaded games like Warframe or Starlink run 12ish. I think Doom and Wolfenstein II are like 30?

128 should be fine if you're mostly cartridges.

Good to know, thanks!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don't want much feedback or any spoilers but as much as I've sung hollow knight's praises, I'm at a point which is just frustratingly terrible rather than just very difficult.

I figure I'm very close to the endgame, having unlocked all the dreamers and the full nail/dream nail, having most of the charms, all but 1 of the worms etc and I'm going around the map finding all the secrets and things previously gated to me before I fight what I assume is the final boss. I've enjoyed most of the challenging parts very much, always feeling like there were very high thresholds of skill required for some of the bosses but that ultimately any time I failed was down to not being good enough or having an appropriate set of charms.

However, I'm in the dream of the one King's guard way down near the hidden stag station. The platforming puzzles with instadeath grinders and thorns on all sides and absolutely minute tolerances to succeed loving blow. It's just antifun game design, compared to the artfulness of most of the rest of it. I know that whatever I'll get at the end of it probably isn't necessary to finish the game but I don't want to just ignore the challenge.

Have you changed your badge loadout? If you've got the honeycomb one that restores health, that one helps a ton so you don't get set back from taking too much damage. There are no enemies or anything in there, so you can equip a bunch of defensively oriented badges.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Heath posted:

Have you changed your badge loadout? If you've got the honeycomb one that restores health, that one helps a ton so you don't get set back from taking too much damage. There are no enemies or anything in there, so you can equip a bunch of defensively oriented badges.

this made it a lot more bearable for me too. the grubsong badge that gives you a bunch of soul for each spike hit also really helped, as it gives you a few more heals along the way.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you are where I think you are, that section is deliberately meatboy-ish and is one of two requirements to get the secret ending. Hiveblood can give you effectively infinite health if you're willing to wait. Also note that you can pogo off of anything, including spikes and buzzsaws. Longnail/quickslash can help with this.

It's definitely the most divisive area as it's a shift in gameplay, and was the hardest challenge until they added an entirely optional area that's basically the same thing but without the non-spike/thorn/buzzsaw surfaces.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

To add to the rest of the comments, the Path of Pain is a super hard and almost completely optional bit, and if you've wandered into that section feel free to piss off out of it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Don't use Hiveblood, use Deep Focus and GrubSong

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

You also might also want to try out the badges: Longnail/Mark of Pride/Quick Slash if you're having trouble pogoing. It was frustrating for me, but only took about an hour, all told (using Longnail/Quick Slash/Hiveblood). E: Beaten on this!

On closeness to the end: The White Palace isn't necessary for an ending, but it is part of the path to unlock additional endings. If you're interested in the story, you'll want to run through it at some point! The Path of Pain has an additional minor story cutscene, but I just looked that poo poo up.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
These guys are saying it unlocks secret/additional endings, but that's underselling it if you're considering skipping it. It's the Good ending that's unlocked by it, as well as the true final boss. It's not just some fluff like Nick Fury appearing at the end to recruit the Vessel into the Avengers or anything. They also mentioned the Path of Pain, which, if you haven't found it, you might think is the path you're on. The White Palace has a single secret passage which leads to a much harder set of Meat Boy challenges, and _that_ is the optional one that unlocks nothing but a 3 second cutscene. If you haven't found a secret passage by breaking a wall, you're on the way to getting the good ending.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The biggest issue with L.A. Noire is Rockstar has pretty much pigeonholed themselves into a large open world style of game even when it doesn’t need to be. If L.A. Noire has been treated like an evolution of the point-and-click genre with development going towards that and the investigations and not a useless open world it would’ve been much better. But Rockstar has to make it an open world game because it’s Rockstar so :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The biggest issue with L.A. Noire is Rockstar has pretty much pigeonholed themselves into a large open world style of game even when it doesn’t need to be. If L.A. Noire has been treated like an evolution of the point-and-click genre with development going towards that and the investigations and not a useless open world it would’ve been much better. But Rockstar has to make it an open world game because it’s Rockstar so :shrug:

I think the devs originally didn’t want as much open world poo poo but Rockstar higher ups made them put it in. I like LA Noire but driving around and the “side missions” are easily the worst parts.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

disagree at least the open world like, worked. the interrogations and detective poo poo and that whole act of the game where they force you to solve a crime wrong are the worse parts

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a bunch of locations in L.A Noire that have a ton of detail that you never come close to over the course of the game, and the only way you'll ever find them is by free roam exploration or hunting doodads for achievements. It really comes across as unfinished.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It literally was if you hit "drive for me" every time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

disagree at least the open world like, worked. the interrogations and detective poo poo and that whole act of the game where they force you to solve a crime wrong are the worse parts

It's hosed up that the best mysteries in the game occur when you're a traffic cop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think the devs originally didn’t want as much open world poo poo but Rockstar higher ups made them put it in. I like LA Noire but driving around and the “side missions” are easily the worst parts.
I always felt that way, but no, making a weirdly faithful recreation of post-war LA was like their #1 priority. And then for some reason they decided to use that amazing and huge open world to make a point and click adventure game that barely explores it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
There's a whole army base that never gets used for anything

Team Bondi had to be one of the most mismanaged dev teams ever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

Phantasy Star 4 is reminding me how much I actually really like jrpgs. Aside from Octopath, what other jrpgs would ya'll recommend that are on switch?

Tales of Vesperia is mid january, Grandia 1+2 bundle at some point in future, Romancing Saga if you must have more JRPG. Do not purchase I am Setsuna or Lost Sphear unless they tell you the hostages will die if you dont and even then consider how much you like the hostage.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat it with rift walkers on my third try and had unlocked some broken feeling pilots like the extra do over guy that made the rest of the game much easier.
Itb is no ftl in the difficulty dept.

The extra do over guy isn't even close to the most broken pilot because when you get good enough at the game you don't need to do anything over.

-There's a pilot that replaces Repair with a 2 damage melee attack that pushes, which totally breaks the balance of a lot of teams who aren't supposed to have an extra attacker or a way to do direct damage. It's the only way I ever beat the Judo squad route

-There's a pilot that keeps repair, but it pushes all enemies away from you - one of the mech groups has "pushes mechs away" as an entire mech on its own WITHOUT the repair so once again it's a strict upgrade to a lot of mechs. You can sit on top of burrowing guys and regain HP and push things away

-There's a pilot that can attack in smoke and cannot be webbed. If you use the smoke generating squad, it means she can attack in all sorts of otherwise impossible positions which is already good. But the better part is enemies still waste an entire turn trying to web her, and she can just walk away saving you an action. She's excellent on the Jet Mech

-One of the pilots has a shield when the battle starts that absorbs one free attack - except shields also keep you from being frozen. The ice mech has a 100% chance to instantly freeze an enemy (removes them from battle entirely) at the downside of freezing itself. With that pilot as long as you don't get hit it just becomes an instant death machine

I think "serious" players do like, all random for this reason

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Rockstar didn't develop L.A. Noire.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

It didn't help LA Noire that Rockstar advertised the game like an alternate GTA type game set in 40's LA. If they had just been clear from the start that it's really a 3D version of a point and click adventure game people's expectations would have been in check. It's a shame Team Bondi went under and their amazing facial capture might never be used again. It created the best facial animation I've ever seen in a game. There was some awkward joining between head and body sometimes but I think that issue could have been solved if the technology had more time to mature.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The facial animation is impressive but a bit gimmicky imo. it's really jarring looking when nothing else matches up. I think stuff like Naughty Dog games look significantly better and don't hit that uncanney valley.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

The facial animation is impressive but a bit gimmicky imo. it's really jarring looking when nothing else matches up. I think stuff like Naughty Dog games look significantly better and don't hit that uncanney valley.

While it does look amazing for the time, it's definitely a gimmick that was almost immediately outdated by better techniques and time hasn't really been kind to its limitations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Am I supposed to be dying this much in Doom... I played it a bit ago on PS4 and it seemed to be easier. Maybe it just will take me a little longer to get used to the motion controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Barudak posted:

Tales of Vesperia is mid january, Grandia 1+2 bundle at some point in future, Romancing Saga if you must have more JRPG. Do not purchase I am Setsuna or Lost Sphear unless they tell you the hostages will die if you dont and even then consider how much you like the hostage.

I'll quibble and say I am Setsuna is entirely OK. There are far worse games you could play and the story is a bit like a retread of FFX. It's not a very visually interesting game and the gameplay isn't all that polished. But if you can get it cheap and give it a fair shake, it's a perfectly acceptable time-waster and scratches the JRPG itch well enough.

I found Battle Chasers to be far more frustrating. Load times are agonizingly slow on the Switch and it's got a less severe case of Wasteland II's visual issues where some poo poo can be tough to see. Plus the last boss is bullshit.