Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I put an order in for a TM3 last night, and I already received a text saying expected delivery is 12/14. That's much sooner than I expected.

Ya, they’re through the backlog and are essentially delivering cars on demand at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Ya, they’re through the backlog and are essentially delivering cars on demand at this point.

I'm glad, then 'cause it seems their cars are still eligible for the $7,500 tax credit as long as are sold before Jan 1st.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I put an order in for a TM3 last night, and I already received a text saying expected delivery is 12/14. That's much sooner than I expected.

Another shameless plug, but feel free to use my referral code. You get 6 months of free supercharging with it: https://ts.la/adam65331

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

How spec'd out is it? They've been prioritizing the most expensive configurations for awhile but I wonder if they're nearly all on-demand now.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
With a 5 day turnaround they must be staging un-ordered vehicles at points across the country right? No way it makes it through the factory and to your door in less than a week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Could the ordering system just be not sensibly hooked up to the factory build tracking?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bawfuls posted:

How spec'd out is it? They've been prioritizing the most expensive configurations for awhile but I wonder if they're nearly all on-demand now.

I got the cheapest option possible. 18" wheels, black, RWD mid-range, no autopilot.

ratbert90 posted:

Another shameless plug, but feel free to use my referral code. You get 6 months of free supercharging with it: https://ts.la/adam65331

I'd love to if you could help me out with giving you the credit. As far as I know, though, only the premium TM3 qualifies for this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I got the cheapest option possible. 18" wheels, black, RWD mid-range, no autopilot.

I'd love to if you could help me out with giving you the credit. As far as I know, though, only the premium TM3 qualifies for this.

Any TM3 will get 6 months of free supercharging when using a referral code. You can just call Tesla and have them add the referral code to your order.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

Any TM3 will get 6 months of free supercharging when using a referral code. You can just call Tesla and have them add the referral code to your order.

I clicked on your link, then clicked on "I have a Model 3 reservation" then it just took me to my account page. Not sure if it worked, I'll let them know if it didn't.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This is a noteworthy data point, thanks.

As many have suspected, there is no more wait-list demand until the $35k version materializes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I clicked on your link, then clicked on "I have a Model 3 reservation" then it just took me to my account page. Not sure if it worked, I'll let them know if it didn't.

No idea, it doesn't say anything is pending. :shrug: If you really want to be sure, just give them a call.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There aren't that many option combinations so they can probably just build the most popular configs for storage.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

but Ola, building out inventory of common configurations wouldn't be ~*~disruptive~*~ to the car buying experience

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bawfuls posted:

but Ola, building out inventory of common configurations wouldn't be ~*~disruptive~*~ to the car buying experience

It's not called that, it's called AI-predicted unit caching.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They've advertised that they have cars in inventory ready to sell.

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1071176328680886272

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
They've been building them as fast as possible, and don't yet have euro deliveries yet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm terrible at knowing exactly how to buy a car, can someone help me out and make sure this CarFax looks ok? I decided to test out the Volt tomorrow morning and I want to be prepared

Edit: Like should I worry about having two previous owners despite being a year old?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 10, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

You also lost your student loan interest deduction well before 100k, it is phased out by 80k :v:

One year I got to deduct $2 in interest. Those were the days, no wait those days sucked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I lump sum paid my student loans off a couple years ago, it was a little bit of a downer when I found out I couldn't deduct anything. Then again, completely debt free since then, so that's cool.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm terrible at knowing exactly how to buy a car, can someone help me out..

Can't help you with the carfax... But have some other pointers...

2016 and 2017 Volts came with 5 years of free OnStar Basic starting from the time the car was first sold. It is supposed to be transferable.

So if you do go forward with the purchase and want OnStar app access (charging status, remote keyfob), you can get it for free. The only issue is dealing with the OnStar people. You may have to call a few times to get someone who actually knows what they are doing and can re-activate it. Supposedly it is easier to do this by talking to the actual OnStar advisers by pushing the OnStar button in the car.

Also, make sure the active recalls/service bulletins have been done.. 2 of them where major ones that could result in the car shutting down while driving down the road if not taken care of. (one was to do with a cable installed incorrectly in the main 12v power distribution box, and the other one was a connector for the 12v charging system that could come disconnected resulting in the 12v battery no longer charging) If your buying from a GM dealer, they should have already have done them.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

stevewm posted:

Also, make sure the active recalls/service bulletins have been done.. 2 of them where major ones that could result in the car shutting down while driving down the road if not taken care of. (one was to do with a cable installed incorrectly in the main 12v power distribution box, and the other one was a connector for the 12v charging system that could come disconnected resulting in the 12v battery no longer charging) If your buying from a GM dealer, they should have already have done them.

Yikes, are you sure you want to buy a car with such a history of poor quality control?

*Totally joking, I hope you love it!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

eeenmachine posted:

With a 5 day turnaround they must be staging un-ordered vehicles at points across the country right? No way it makes it through the factory and to your door in less than a week.

There is inventory because they have overproduced and demand is evaporating. Remember how weeks ago Tesla said “if you don’t order by friday you won’t get the IRS credit”? Turns out all those preorders were people wanting the $35k car, which won’t happen any time soon.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

Can't help you with the carfax... But have some other pointers...

2016 and 2017 Volts came with 5 years of free OnStar Basic starting from the time the car was first sold. It is supposed to be transferable.

So if you do go forward with the purchase and want OnStar app access (charging status, remote keyfob), you can get it for free. The only issue is dealing with the OnStar people. You may have to call a few times to get someone who actually knows what they are doing and can re-activate it. Supposedly it is easier to do this by talking to the actual OnStar advisers by pushing the OnStar button in the car.

According to my.chevrolet.com/recalls there are none listed, which means they have been fixed?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

According to my.chevrolet.com/recalls there are none listed, which means they have been fixed?

That should do it!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

drgitlin posted:

There is inventory because they have overproduced and demand is evaporating. Remember how weeks ago Tesla said “if you don’t order by friday you won’t get the IRS credit”? Turns out all those preorders were people wanting the $35k car, which won’t happen any time soon.

Yikes, I hope they're able to sell them!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

stevewm posted:

That should do it!

Alright! I'm still weirded out on how cheap it is, but I really want a Volt and especially in that color

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eeenmachine posted:

Saw a Kia Niro in the wild yesterday, seemed much smaller than I was expecting. I like the styling though. Not overly futuristic compared to Kia's other cars. Hope they sell out quickly enough to convince them to expand production.

It is real small. Someone still needs to make a bread-and-butter crossover EV.

eeenmachine posted:

it either implies a technical fuckup or yes, unsold inventory at various points around the country. this is totally normal for traditional OEMs, but i'm surprised given the demand and production crunch that they have built up that much unsold inventory. it sort of indicates that they are well through any backlog and now building units in advance of demand

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
https://jalopnik.com/a-jaguar-i-pace-ev-had-a-thermal-incident-while-parke-1830995550

Jag had it's first "thermal incident" with the I Pace. Does not look good, seems to just have burst into flames but no real details yet.

I do worry about these sorts of things now that one is parked in my garage, directly under my bedroom! But I also know it's extremely unlikely. Tesla has many 100k of battery packs and very few of them have had issues. Hope this I Pace indecent is a one off and not some sort of larger issue with the overall battery pack.

I have not heard of any Model 3 fires yet. S and X for sure. Anyone know of any Model 3 fires? Even if they are like after an accident or something.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

When a Tesla spontaneously catches on fire it makes the news news so I think you can find that out from a google search.

Edit: Maybe your garage ceiling has a firewall. Apparently it’s common to have fire protection when garages are under living spaces.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 11, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

https://jalopnik.com/a-jaguar-i-pace-ev-had-a-thermal-incident-while-parke-1830995550

Jag had it's first "thermal incident" with the I Pace. Does not look good, seems to just have burst into flames but no real details yet.

I do worry about these sorts of things now that one is parked in my garage, directly under my bedroom! But I also know it's extremely unlikely. Tesla has many 100k of battery packs and very few of them have had issues. Hope this I Pace indecent is a one off and not some sort of larger issue with the overall battery pack.

I have not heard of any Model 3 fires yet. S and X for sure. Anyone know of any Model 3 fires? Even if they are like after an accident or something.

I had a 1986 Toyota corolla that spontaneously combusted in my parking garage. Lucky the fire department got there before it set off the sprinkler system and ruined everyone's day, but it was pretty immolated. Have you heard the one about "is Ferrari on fire?" I'm guessing you never worried about the 55 liters of gasoline one unlucky spark away from burning your house down under your bedroom before?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

spandexcajun posted:

As much as I am giggling over the fact Jags have had fire issues ever since I was born and yep here we go again....... frankly EVs are proving to be far FAR less likely to combust than ICE so I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Im pretty sure far more ICE Jags have ended up ash than whatever it will work out to be with EVs or the coming years

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Edit: Maybe your garage ceiling has a firewall. Apparently it’s common to have fire protection when garages are under living spaces.

It does, but a 1/4" of Sheetrock is fire resistant, not fire proof! And, no I don't worry about my car spontaneously combusting anymore the a gas burner. If anything I worry about it less.

It's good that out of 100k + Model 3s, plenty of which have been in accidents by now, I can't find any reported fires. I would guess the Model 3 battery pack may be one of the safest of all EVs currently available.

The Jag electrical fire / smoke jokes were to easy :)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If a battery's about to explode, it's most likely going to happen from overheating. Limiting the maximum charge to 90% should help with that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

I would guess the Model 3 battery pack may be one of the safest of all EVs currently available.

If you have seen any teardowns of the Model 3 battery pack... (https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-3-teardown-details/) All the cells are completely encased in a green potting compound, (https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-3-teardown-details/#tesla-3-battery-1-individual-cells-1) which I'm sure helps with cooling and probably helps prevent the pack from going into full runaway should a single cell fail.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Real small? I'm 6' and I can sit in the back seat without a problem and with plenty of trunk space.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pendragon posted:

Real small? I'm 6' and I can sit in the back seat without a problem and with plenty of trunk space.

Yeah, it's roomy inside, but it's the size of a Golf.(the golf is roomy too)

It's no crossover though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I emailed Subaru to ask them what kind of charge connector the new Crosstrek PHEV will use. The response I got is it only connects to house-hold outlets. :rolleyes:

What does the Prius Prime use? J1772?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Charles posted:

I emailed Subaru to ask them what kind of charge connector the new Crosstrek PHEV will use. The response I got is it only connects to house-hold outlets. :rolleyes:

What does the Prius Prime use? J1772?

I think you can safely assume it will use J1772. What they told you was likely filtered down as a consumer friendly way of saying "no DC fast charging".

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Honda Pilot PHEV is coming at least, if it has a solid 30-40 miles of range it'll be a nice option. Other than BMW IX3 and Tesla Model Y (both not bread and butter) I'm not sure what else is under development, it's a huge market for sure. If GM was smart they'd put some of their Volt/Bolt expertise into a Traverse/Acadia sized vehicle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
What do you ev owners that live in apartments do? Or is there just not a realistic way of going about it?

I can't install anything, can't run a cord a hundred feet out into the street, my city doesn't have a charging station infrastructure.

I've watched some YouTube channels that talk about how Nissan leaves that are a few years old are such a bargain and now I want one.