Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Totally pisses me off when people say Super Mario Bros. out loud as "Super Mario Bros". Bros. is short for Brothers! They are brothers! The loving Super Mario Brothers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I've never said "super Mario brothers." It's always "bros".

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They aren't drunken shitheads driving around in a ridiculous lifted pickup, they are siblings. Calling them bros is like pronouncing Mr. as "murr".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
loving lol if you talk about the “marry oh, brothers!” and not the mario bros (BROHZ)

Also fuckin double extra wtf how?????? lol if you associate “bro” with rednecks and not dudes whose backwards hats cost more than any pickup

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a brotruck?

And Marry Oh is much worse than Bros.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Amazon questions and answers:

"What's the highest temperature this is rated for?"
"Yes"
"No"
"No"
"I don't know, I've never heard of this item!"
"YES"
"I bought this for my grandson"
"No"
"MADE IN CHINA poo poo!!"
"Yes"

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

when people who I don't want finding my social media find my social media, and it's more trouble than it's worth to block them. why the gently caress does twitter have to let the blocked person know they've been blocked?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was walking from the office to the train station the other night; this guy going the other direction had this McDonald's take-away bag and he was just pulling out the individual wrappers and everything (i.e. the containers for the burger and fries, the wrapper on his straw) and just tossing them on the ground as he went along.

Littering annoys me in any event but someone being so brazen about it like that is especially irritating.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a brotruck?

And Marry Oh is much worse than Bros.

just because one type of "bro" is a negative thing doesn't mean you can't use it in any other context. Real siblings call each other "bro" (or sis) all the time.

I agree about marry oh though.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chip McFuck posted:

I might have posted this before, but gently caress it this is really pushing me off. My mom recently begged, begged, me to change my birthday dinner plans to a chain restaurant (like the 99 or TGI Fridays) instead of my favorite local place because my brother wants to come. He's such a picky eater that she could tell he won't like anything they serve, and he won't go to my birthday party at all if he can't eat anything on the menu. I told her he can either suck it up and be a decent person or he's not welcome.

So I guess my peeve is extremely picky eaters and the people who enable them to the detriment of everyone else. If it was a food allergy, or he had autism or something, I could at least understand, but he's a 28 year old normal dude who never progressed past chicken nuggets and fries.

If I'm hosting some kind of outing, I try to make it at a place that most or all of the people I invite will enjoy. Sorry but I'm not going to inconvenience everybody just because your gigantic baby rear end refuses to eat anything but (whatever).

Just about every place now has a menu that accomodates vegetarians/vegans, food allergies, kids, etc. If you can't suck it up for one night and not ruin everybody else's evening, don't come.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Giving in to their demands just reinforces it. It's like when you try to get kids to eat vegetables. If you even once ease up and let them have their way they will expect it in the future too. The only way to fix picky eaters is to put your foot down and say either you deal with it or you just don't come out eating with us anymore. If they can't find something they can eat and enjoy on basically any menu out there, they aren't trying hard enough. Even my dad who is the pickiest eater I know finds something to eat at any restaurant. He'll complain especially with mexican and italian restaurants, but if you twist his arm he'll go and find the one or two menu items that don't have cheese/tomato sauce/spice of any kind on them. If your picky eater friends won't grow up and do the same, they clearly don't value socializing with you very much and should be discarded as a friend.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Totally pisses me off when people say Super Mario Bros. out loud as "Super Mario Bros". Bros. is short for Brothers! They are brothers! The loving Super Mario Brothers!

extremely wrong

e: also Marry Oh is apparently the correct way to pronounce it in New York.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bradzilla posted:

Except it's a person's name. The correct way to pronounce a person's name is the way they do. Even if it's a fictional person.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Getting the same advertisements across every podcast is a bit monotonous, but I'm starting to get one that is "hey, I"m the co-founder of reddit, please listen to my podcast about how boomers and gen-xers are starting twice as many businesses as millennials." I really want to hunt this guy down and shoot him in his stupid libertarian face

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bradzilla posted:

extremely wrong

Houston Street I’ll take, NYC pizza I can deal with, but this is a bridge too far.

Also I feel like the ur-bro is a rich fratty dude, but I guess there’s a redneck bro subtype.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Dec 13, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

just because one type of "bro" is a negative thing doesn't mean you can't use it in any other context. Real siblings call each other "bro" (or sis) all the time.

"Bros." is not the same thing as "bros". There is a period, it's a contraction. The title screen of every Super Smash Bros. game says "brothers" out loud. It's brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA7znCTfm8M&t=50s
"Super Mario Brothers"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Dec 13, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah I don't think anyone here doesn't know what it's short for. You are weirdly fixated on this as if someone saying super mario bros summons a "brotruck" to your location to roll coal in your face.

Anyway, I hate the internet for making "unboxing" a widely used term. When I see people talk about christmas presents on non-SA internet, everyone is talking about "unboxing" them instead of just...opening them. Unboxing is a weird ritualistic thing that I just can't wrap my head around. When I open new stuff I don't marvel at the packaging, I rip it open as fast as possible to start using the thing. Even if I did appreciate packaging, I would still hesitate to use the term unboxing because of the weird internet culture you are associating yourself with by using it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Weirdly fixated on something in the peeves thread? Outrageous!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Giving in to their demands just reinforces it. It's like when you try to get kids to eat vegetables. If you even once ease up and let them have their way they will expect it in the future too. The only way to fix picky eaters is to put your foot down and say either you deal with it or you just don't come out eating with us anymore. If they can't find something they can eat and enjoy on basically any menu out there, they aren't trying hard enough. Even my dad who is the pickiest eater I know finds something to eat at any restaurant. He'll complain especially with mexican and italian restaurants, but if you twist his arm he'll go and find the one or two menu items that don't have cheese/tomato sauce/spice of any kind on them. If your picky eater friends won't grow up and do the same, they clearly don't value socializing with you very much and should be discarded as a friend.

There is a big difference between being a picky eater and being an impossible person. Most people know how to compromise, but some people just can't say yes to anything unless it is that specific thing they always want every time no exceptions. This is me trying to decide what to eat:

Want go have salmon this time?
Him: No, I don't like it
Me: OK, wanna go for a burger?
Him: Nah, had it three days ago
Chicken with some salad?
Him: Not feeling like it.
Me: What about pizza?
Him: Nah.

Until they suggest something and I go along with it even if its what we do every time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If they are honest about their baby habits it's almost OK. Still very annoying and shouldn't be tolerated, but it's not nearly as bad as the passive-aggressive ones who, in your example conversation, would instead of saying no say "I don't care, you pick" to everything. Then once you pick one, you'll notice them start to sigh as they eat and give you pointed glances until you ask what's wrong and then you get unloaded on with "you KNOW i HATE this food, I thought you'd be considerate for once and pick something we BOTH like" etc. You just can't win with those people.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Sex.

No wait...

OK, yes. Sex.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Then once you pick one, you'll notice them start to sigh as they eat and give you pointed glances until you ask what's wrong and then you get unloaded on with "you KNOW i HATE this food, I thought you'd be considerate for once and pick something we BOTH like" etc.

Who would do that?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

Who would do that?

my mother, for one. I also briefly had a friend of a friend in highschool that would come out with us sometimes who would act the same way.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Next time just try to enjoy whatever you are having more, knowing that they brought misery upon themselves. They chose to have a lovely time and you can do the opposite, their unhappiness should make you happy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Well then you get the pouty "why are you being so MEANNNNN" personality. The best way forward is just to let them whine. If you defend yourself, they'll rant at you the rest of the night. If you apologize, they'll dig in deeper and make you feel like you killed their puppy. If you get mad they'll make you out to be the bad guy. In my mother's case she only does this with food, otherwise she's fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One sort of trivial thing that mildly annoys me is when musicians name someone as an influence but it's completely indiscernible in their music.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You mean you can't tell that Tony Iommi was influenced by jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Happened to look at the thermostat at work because it's been crazy hot in there for the past few months. It's set to 82° (Fahrenheit). I talked to HR about it and apparently it's now company policy to keep the temperature above 80 in the winter because some people complained it was too cold. It's like sitting in a sauna for eight hours.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

Happened to look at the thermostat at work because it's been crazy hot in there for the past few months. It's set to 82° (Fahrenheit). I talked to HR about it and apparently it's now company policy to keep the temperature above 80 in the winter because some people complained it was too cold. It's like sitting in a sauna for eight hours.

That's insane. 76 I could understand, 78 I could live uncomfortably with, but 80-82? That's like my grandparents house and unless you're sitting absolutely still that is jim carrey in a rhino level of hot after a while.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Wheat Loaf posted:

One sort of trivial thing that mildly annoys me is when musicians name someone as an influence but it's completely indiscernible in their music.
It's easier once you accept that "influences" is code for either "the artist likes these bands" or "the artist thinks listing these bands as an influence makes them look cooler".

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

That's insane. 76 I could understand, 78 I could live uncomfortably with, but 80-82? That's like my grandparents house and unless you're sitting absolutely still that is jim carrey in a rhino level of hot after a while.

I'm not used to Fahrenheit so I wondered if it's the same as my office where I have it nice and warm right now. Loled quite hard when I realised that my 23°C are ~73°F.
Are these people sitting buckass naked at the draftiest part of the building or what?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

I'd quit, gently caress that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Once I worked in this place with huge shared offices where the guys at the far end of the room had to really crank the radiators to receive any heat. Fair enough but I had to sit right by one, I felt like a shawarma stack.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

My Lovely Horse posted:

Once I worked in this place with huge shared offices where the guys at the far end of the room had to really crank the radiators to receive any heat. Fair enough but I had to sit right by one, I felt like a shawarma stack.

That stuff is my peeve with shared heating- cranking it up more because some of the building is cold. Sorry but the cold people need to bring a jacket. Especiallt in a work environment where you can’t exactly show up in shorts or whip off a layer or two if you’re too hot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you know someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of food and you insist on eating somewhere where that's all that's available because "gently caress picky eaters" then you're the one being an rear end in a top hat.

If they haven't adequately communicated their wishes or are just interested in whining and being a martyr, then they're the ones being an rear end in a top hat.

This isn't difficult, people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

If you know someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of food and you insist on eating somewhere where that's all that's available because "gently caress picky eaters" then you're the one being an rear end in a top hat.

If they haven't adequately communicated their wishes or are just interested in whining and being a martyr, then they're the ones being an rear end in a top hat.

This isn't difficult, people.

There's "I don't like sushi" and there's "I don't like japanese, or chinese, or mexican, or indian, or turkish, or really anything with cheese, unless it's not melted, except cheese fries, also I don't really like vegetables except corn or broccoli with butter, and, and and..."

The options are "gently caress you" or "steakhouse it is!" Or they can eat off the kids menu like the idiot baby they are.

I have an ex whose sister was exactly this, preferences and all. They're impossible to please and passive-aggressive as gently caress about it. And god help you if you turn down the steakhouse because you're a vegetarian and want more than a cold salad bar. Those aren't REAL preferences like Ms. Cheese and Vegetables Are Gross'. If it's that big of a deal then eat at home and just come out for drinks and dessert.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That stuff is my peeve with shared heating- cranking it up more because some of the building is cold. Sorry but the cold people need to bring a jacket. Especiallt in a work environment where you can’t exactly show up in shorts or whip off a layer or two if you’re too hot.
I gotta say to be entirely fair here, it was a 17th century listed building and they couldn't exactly slap a few layers of mineral wool on the outside or indeed anywhere. Probably could be glad we had heating. Well, in the offices we did. Going to the bathroom was an arctic adventure.

Otherwise yep completely agree, put on a sweater, I would.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For some reason HR at my job informs you of raises/bonuses by sending an automated email that reads "A PERSONNEL ACTION HAS BEEN FILED AGAINST YOUR ACCOUNT" with a link you have to follow to see what actually happened. I've been there long enough to know what the deal is but the first couple of times it kinda made me panic. I'm not sure why they do this in such a threatening manner.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

my mother, for one. I also briefly had a friend of a friend in highschool that would come out with us sometimes who would act the same way.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think we had the same mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Well then you get the pouty "why are you being so MEANNNNN" personality. The best way forward is just to let them whine. If you defend yourself, they'll rant at you the rest of the night. If you apologize, they'll dig in deeper and make you feel like you killed their puppy. If you get mad they'll make you out to be the bad guy. In my mother's case she only does this with food, otherwise she's fine.

In my mother's case, she doesn't usually do this with food, just with everything else.