Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Next will be talking about how many insurance jobs will be lost if single payer appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Next will be talking about how many insurance jobs will be lost if single payer appears

Honestly the left needs a bottled answer for the material needs of those people.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ikanreed posted:

Honestly the left needs a bottled answer for the material needs of those people.

"And they can look forward to their lovely middle managers being gone, as their job is preserved and adapted to serve their family and community instead of the C-suite's share price" boom

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ikanreed posted:

That is something I wonder about. the healthcare industry is a massive chunk of the economy IIRC and while it should go, I can’t help but wonder what that’s going to look like from an unemployment standpoint.

at least they wouldn’t have to worry about their health insurance

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
yes I agree that the left should have a solution for useless do-nothing jobs that exist only to be parasites on society

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat universal healthcare just happens with no transition period

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mostly meant like the entry level workers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

GalacticAcid posted:

yeah there’s a switch in the capitol building

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

me turning a large dial that says "useless jobs" and turning back at the voters for approval

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1074293179409670144

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're so desperate to pretend a real conservative republican party exists and not the far right one that was around long before trump

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

disruption is only good if its taxi drivers losing their jobs or unions being destroyed

if it means universal healthcare, a total loving no-brainer for any civilised country with two hospitals to rub together, its BAD!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since I assume nobody read it

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1074295302000164865?s=19

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/chucktodd/status/1074307842365120512?s=21

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

[Syndrome voice] And when everyone is covered... no one will be. *evil laugh*

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:goofy:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

first republican debate, some shmuck interrupts trump in the middle of a rant: "Respectfully, Mister President, that is not true. The Politico fact-checker gave that statement of yours four Pinocchios!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hahaha

in real life, it was the opposite

all the other candidates constantly assumed that he'd drop out soon, so they all constantly followed him to the right in hopes of picking up his voters after he crashed and burned

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

not a cult posted:

first republican debate, some shmuck interrupts trump in the middle of a rant: "Respectfully, Mister President, that is not true. The Politico fact-checker gave that statement of yours four Pinocchios!"

and that schmuck's name? Chuck Schumer

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

and that schmuck's name? Chuck Schumer

Schmuck Choomer

actually this probably doesn’t work, I would definitely hang out and do drugs with someone named schmuck choomer

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GalacticAcid posted:

I mean just having an idea for what a transition looks like that doesn't sound like mealy mouthed liberalism would be perfect.

Main Paineframe posted:

yes I agree that the left should have a solution for useless do-nothing jobs that exist only to be parasites on society

Yeah gently caress those minimum wage call center workers who do half the work of processing claims

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Oh no we might have to the Medicare for all to some kind of massive public works project to fix our infrastructure or rebuild areas destroyed by natural disasters or wage people's war against the people who got us into this mess, whatever shall we do

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Concern trolling over unemployment never ever happens for anything other than the insurance industry. Nobody asks what we're going to do about unemployed workers after every new round of downsizing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1073759814755467264

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its a top 10 and Brooks takes top spot

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1074377068148916224

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
The rest of the article reads like a conservative "intellectual"s fever dream. It's loving insane.

A paraphrase of the rambling second half of that piece, "Joey Tabula Rasa will see the great success of conservatism here and forever be won to the cause."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he wrote that 5 months before the failing new york times hired him lmao

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I can't really express how much reading this makes me want to both lol and die at the same time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I hope he gets murdered by an IED

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

GalacticAcid posted:

I hope he gets murdered by an IED

:same:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/1074395520737648640?s=19

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

They're so desperate to pretend a real conservative republican party exists and not the far right one that was around long before trump

I can't tell if these people actually sorta exist, like Brooks and his feeble nevertrump lapel pin, or if this is just a delusion of the fever swamp of the center

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Concern trolling over unemployment never ever happens for anything other than the insurance industry. Nobody asks what we're going to do about unemployed workers after every new round of downsizing.

True. See also: raising minimum wage will cause ~inflation~ and thus would be useless, an argument that never comes up when the money is going to the 0.1%

hahaha, yes

Also let me quote the second paragraph of the posted article. Look what Brooks left out of his account:

quote:

Most famous for making the case for the catastrophic invasion of Iraq, the magazine was born just one year before Murdoch created Fox News. Both outlets were extremely effective at achieving the same goals via different tactics. Fox was chum for the rubes; the Weekly Standard was chum for Ivy League rubes. Fox pushed mindless belligerence, conspiracism and a deep hatred for reality; the Weekly Standard did the same thing, but with less cleavage and more quotes from Cicero. (In 2009 Murdoch sold it to Philip Anschutz, a fellow billionaire who if anything is more conservative than Murdoch.)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i like the part of this where brooks et al yearn for a time when they didnt have to actually sell subscriptions, and that billionaire charity case is the only sustainable business model for conservative columnists

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Yeah gently caress those minimum wage call center workers who do half the work of processing claims

imagine if we had a system that enabled them to do something with their lives besides shaving off little bits of their souls at notoriously awful call center jobs

i know someone who worked at an insurance call center. spoiler alert: it loving sucked, but they didn't have a whole lot of better options at the time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Main Paineframe posted:

imagine if we had a system that enabled them to do something with their lives besides shaving off little bits of their souls at notoriously awful call center jobs

i know someone who worked at an insurance call center. spoiler alert: it loving sucked, but they didn't have a whole lot of better options at the time

That would be good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Main Paineframe posted:

hahaha

in real life, it was the opposite

all the other candidates constantly assumed that he'd drop out soon, so they all constantly followed him to the right in hopes of picking up his voters after he crashed and burned

I don’t buy the crab bucket narrative. Ganging up on Trump would have only have cemented his cred as the “antiestablishment” candidate

But we can all agree that however he won the primary, there’s no reason to believe he can’t do it again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

the other day, HR for the call center I work at sent out a mailer internally advertising the 'perfect attendance' program that they run, boasting of how the latest winner is a hard-working father that gets up five hours ahead of their shift every single day to get to the office on time 50 miles away, and that he's never been absent once.

this was something we were supposed to find inspiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

the other day, HR for the call center I work at sent out a mailer internally advertising the 'perfect attendance' program that they run, boasting of how the latest winner is a hard-working father that gets up five hours ahead of their shift every single day to get to the office on time 50 miles away, and that he's never been absent once.

this was something we were supposed to find inspiring

It is inspiring.

It just doesn’t inspire the ideas they expect.