Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.

MrYenko posted:

I have the Jeda pad. Works great, but ANY kind of spirited driving throws your phone into the console bin.

Also, certain phone cases can exacerbate this effect.

I had a phone dock extension 3D printed and that helped my phone stay on the jeda pad. Haven’t had it slide off once yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I can already say that the Model 3 (Performance) is already my favorite Tesla to drive spiritedly. It isn't the fastest or the smallest Tesla I've owned but the combination of power and weight distribution is just perfect.

Comparing it to the OG Roadster is so night and day that I'm not sure anyone would choose the Roadster unless their primary motive was turning heads in public.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eeenmachine posted:

I can already say that the Model 3 (Performance) is already my favorite Tesla to drive spiritedly. It isn't the fastest or the smallest Tesla I've owned but the combination of power and weight distribution is just perfect.

The M3P is one of the most fun-to-drive things Ive ever been behind the wheel of. It’s not the fastest, and it isn’t the best in corners, but it’s just FUN.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One of my sisters friends bought a Model X and she was showing it to me and I went to adjust the seat back and a piece of plastic trim shot across the car like out of a rifle. One of the seat track trim pieces.

She also did the thing where it flaps its wings and flashes its lights while playing ride of the valkyries or w/e.

Welp that’s my Tesla story thanks for reading.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Lots of sneak peaks coming out about the I.D. Sounds like it will be the biggest competitor to the M3 and perhaps the highest volume EV period. It looks really strong on paper and I'm glad they're not chasing performance and focusing on affordabability.

I feel like this car is going to obliterate the Leaf.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There are a lot of up and comers that could make the leaf look pretty dated, but we'll see if that adoption rate hits home or not.

I'd imagine either the Kona or EV Niro would put a dent into Leaf sales, for example.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eeenmachine posted:

Lots of sneak peaks coming out about the I.D. Sounds like it will be the biggest competitor to the M3 and perhaps the highest volume EV period. It looks really strong on paper and I'm glad they're not chasing performance and focusing on affordabability.

I feel like this car is going to obliterate the Leaf.

The what?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The what?

I think that's the vw platform.

https://electrek.co/2018/12/14/vw-electric-hatchback-spotted-testing/

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
That is a great looking hatchback EV. The first nice EV hothatch?

But "a little less than $30,000." and "111kWh battery pack" can not be true. To be fair the 111kWh is speculation, not official from VW. But still, no one can deliver anything remotely close to that unless they take an enormous loss on each unit and that means low volume until the costs come down (years).

Please prove me wrong VW, I really want to buy the concept Microbus reboot based on this platform!!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

spandexcajun posted:

But "a little less than $30,000." and "111kWh battery pack" can not be true. To be fair the 111kWh is speculation, not official from VW. But still, no one can deliver anything remotely close to that unless they take an enormous loss on each unit and that means low volume until the costs come down (years).

Please prove me wrong VW, I really want to buy the concept Microbus reboot based on this platform!!

Also I don't think an almost 10s 0-60 can be considered hot!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

eeenmachine posted:

Also I don't think an almost 10s 0-60 can be considered hot!

Oh my, slower then a 10 year old Corolla, what the heck?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

Oh my, slower then a 10 year old Corolla, what the heck?

It's a pretty normal number for your typical euro commuter car. The irony of the North American attitude of always needing the bigger engine and more acceleration is people here still have no clue how to accelerate to highway speed before merging.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

It's a pretty normal number for your typical euro commuter car. The irony of the North American attitude of always needing the bigger engine and more acceleration is people here still have no clue how to accelerate to highway speed before merging.

Sure, I mean we could talk about fuel price and it's effect on the market for performance cars in the US vs EU, but I was more confused by a battery pack that is significantly larger then the model 3, less range, (apparently) really bad performance numbers (compared to other EVs with similar specs) and artificially low price. Something does not add up.

But, hey, it's just early leaks so fingers crossed that VW gets this right!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I know people whose skills have completely regressed because they bought electric cars. Why bother steadily accelerating to match the speed of traffic when you can just kind of dawdle along the entry ramp until you spot your opening, and then gun it? Never mind all the people behind you that were kind of hoping to be going faster by the time they reached traffic.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

spandexcajun posted:

2014 Spark EV does 0-60 in <8s. I'm sure there's faster out there but it sure puts a smile on my face.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I actually wish there was a setting on the Model 3 to automatically switch between Chill & Sport modes depending if you have passengers or not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eeenmachine posted:

I actually wish there was a setting on the Model 3 to automatically switch between Chill & Sport modes depending if you have passengers or not.

I wish I could set autopilot to chill mode, but retain normal when I make power requests with the pedal.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

spandexcajun posted:

Sure, I mean we could talk about fuel price and it's effect on the market for performance cars in the US vs EU, but I was more confused by a battery pack that is significantly larger then the model 3, less range, (apparently) really bad performance numbers (compared to other EVs with similar specs) and artificially low price. Something does not add up.

Where do you get the 111 kWh battery and less range? As far as I know the battery size has not been published and range is said to be between 206 and 310 miles depending on the model. I think it is more likely that the battery is smaller than Tesla and the car is just more efficient than Model 3, like the Kona is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How are 3s and Ss for tall (6'5"+) drivers?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

bird with big dick posted:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/15/tesla-model-3-comfortable-for-nearly-7-foot-tall-nba-player-cleantechnica-interview/

On a more serious note, the new features we're getting via software never fail to impress: https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/a6sw2d/hmm_fart_app_is_here/?utm_source=reddit-android

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 16, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bird with big dick posted:

Eeenmachine has a better response, but I’m 6’2” and have a TON of room; I don’t think 6’5” will be a problem at all. This is the first car I’ve ever owned where I had to move the seat up off the floor or forward from the backstops.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

It sounds like it could add up. Larger but cheaper battery pack that's limited on how much power you can draw from it, so less performance, less range, cheaper car overall.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

eeenmachine posted:

Anyone know if the angle is steep enough to keep your phone in place when you punch it? Would rather not test it myself!

iPhone XS here, stays put on hard launch on the Nomad pad

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

For a gas-powered econobox, perhaps. When you have the low-end torque of a modern electric motor, even in a car where performance is not a priority, you should certainly be able to do better than 10 seconds.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
VW is not putting 111kWh in the I.D.

https://twitter.com/GregKable/status/1074077538375348224

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goober Peas posted:

The whole 'free charging' concept was why my company no longer has marked EV spaces near outlets. Too many bubbas complained about employees getting 'free gas' when they had to pay to fill up their F350s. I offered to pay $25/month for what I estimated my Volt was consuming while plugged in at work, but there were concerns that would be seen as paying for parking closer to the building. Which is also why they didn't install charging stations after I practically submitted all of the needed documentation for them to get free charging stations from the state.

I work for a small-ish company and people keep asking me if I have asked for a car changing station or if I ever plug into the outlets at work. And the honest answer is, I actually feel pretty confident that I could get a EV charging station put in, I work for an extremely socially conscious organization in very good financial shape, if anything I'm surprised I haven't been approached by the company asking if I want a charging station.

And I absolutely do not want one because I know the immediate response will be why is the company paying for my car when they don't pay for everyone else. And the funny thing is I'm eligible for millage reimbursement that I don't even take because driving an electric car is so cheap that I don't even want to bother with the paperwork.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 17, 2018

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The superchargers are freakin' fast, man! I decided to take my family to lunch while our M3 was charging, and the Tesla app told me it was done so I had to go run back to my car half way through eating my meal. I got an email later saying that they'll forgive me just this time but I'll have to pay $0.50 a minute if it's idle again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The superchargers are freakin' fast, man! I decided to take my family to lunch while our M3 was charging, and the Tesla app told me it was done so I had to go run back to my car half way through eating my meal. I got an email later saying that they'll forgive me just this time but I'll have to pay $0.50 a minute if it's idle again.

You have a 5 minute grace period and they will only charge you an idle fee if the stalls are more than half full. :)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I have an X P100D that we've used for many road trips but I'm wondering if the M3P might be a better road-tripper. Just about the same range, but I think the M3 probably supercharges faster due to the lower capacity battery?

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 17, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like a VW Prius.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

I have an X P100D that we've used for many road trips but I'm wondering if the M3P might be a better road-tripper. Just about the same range, but I think the M3 probably supercharges faster due to the lower capacity battery?

It charges effectively faster due to lower consumption. Faster than the S, way faster than any X, at max rates. But it probably spends less time at max rates, due to smaller battery. Complicated, but in sum, faster.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
A old (2014) model S fire was apparently caused by a bullet fired into the battery, from inside the car!

“Tesla has determined that the cause of the thermal event that occurred in the Vehicle’s battery was a bullet fired into the battery from inside the Vehicle’s passenger cabin.”

https://electrek.co/2018/12/16/tesla-fire-bullet-battery/

IDK why this amuses me, reminds me of the stories of guys with concealed carry permits shooting their dicks off.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/accidental-penis-gun_n_5511748.html

PSA, don't discharge guns inside your EVs, especially aimed at the battery pack.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In the future, movies will have people aim for the bottom of the car, and the car instantly blow up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

A old (2014) model S fire was apparently caused by a bullet fired into the battery, from inside the car!

“Tesla has determined that the cause of the thermal event that occurred in the Vehicle’s battery was a bullet fired into the battery from inside the Vehicle’s passenger cabin.”

https://electrek.co/2018/12/16/tesla-fire-bullet-battery/

IDK why this amuses me, reminds me of the stories of guys with concealed carry permits shooting their dicks off.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/accidental-penis-gun_n_5511748.html

PSA, don't discharge guns inside your EVs, especially aimed at the battery pack.

Lol, the old bullet fuse trick!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FilthyImp posted:

Looks like a VW Prius.

it looks way more like a Golf than a Prius

Having inventory isn't a bad thing, but the concerning thing for Tesla is that they are supposed to be working through this huge backlog of unsold orders and it appears that those orders are not for anything that they are currently making.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Those orders were worldwide. They have satisfied pent up demand in the US and are starting to ship overseas. They still want to use up as many cars as possible on the full tax credit while it's there.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

2014 Spark EV does 0-60 in <8s. I'm sure there's faster out there but it sure puts a smile on my face.

The Bolt is 6.3.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

I could not find the original article that I got 111kWh from, but here is another article reporting the same thing:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/17/vw-id-range-and-more-info/

Maybe VW at some point announced a large battery back for the cargo van version of the I.D. platform and that is getting mis-translated? I'm just guessing.

drgitlin, those numbers look much more reasonable.

EDIT: re-read the article I linked to, they are saying that the I.D. van will have an option of upto 111kWh, not the smaller hatchback.

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 17, 2018

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I decided to try out the autopilot 30 day trial, so far I'm not impressed. The way I see it is Tesla's driver assistance feature is a way to pay to be a tester, and to get some beta features early, and I don't really think that's a good thing. It kind of reminds me of the pre-order business strategy game publishers use.

I don't think I'll purchase any of Tesla's automated driving features until it's out of beta testing, and the federal government authorizes using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a very dumb question. Was cruise control in cars always more efficient? My old Status and Fiesta I never used it, ordering to drive highways on my pen terms. However in my Volt, at least in EV mode, I've noticed cruise giving me way less kWh used than I can consistently pull off. Is this an EV thing, a new car thing, or some secret I've been ignorant to?