Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Agronox posted:

according to the arts technical article, the $10 million figure excluded such minor things as the cost of equipment, R&D, etc., so yeah.

(I’m keeping the dumb autocorrect)

also it being unclear if that figure includes the labor cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Also note that those bumpers put more stress on the lovely suspension as they push the car along the track.. Which means it's more likely for wompy wheels because the suspension isn't mean for those kind of forces

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I don't think the whompy suspension is meant for any kind of force.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I hope they open it up to the public purely because someone will manage to flip their Tesla within about 20 minutes, slot car bumpers be damned.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
seriously, what is his plan for when a single car breaks down and holds up all of traffic?

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
I feel like I’m missing something because how can it be this stupid

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kraanerg posted:

this is why all the bazingas fall for the fake Elon crypto scams

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kraanerg posted:

seriously, what is his plan for when a single car breaks down and holds up all of traffic?

Seal it in concrete.

Real chat though: They're doing construction on one of the freeways near me, so the far left lane is an express lane at the moment that is sealed off on both sides by jersey barriers. Someone broke down on that one morning, and it took hours to get it cleared out because it's literally 3 miles with no lanes you can switch into.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

orcinus posted:

You know what fascinates me about LA?

Everyone's perfectly fine being stuck in traffic on the highway for hours at a time, while small roads are almost completely free of traffic.
They're deteriorating in a lot of places, and are not being serviced properly, because no one is using them, because everyone's on the highways, talking how there should be more highways, or some other means of making the traffic more efficient. While like 75% of the total surface area of LA roads stays underused and mismanaged.

lol drive anywhere on the west side 4-7 pm. it once took me a full hour to get from UCLA to the 405 (maybe 5 blocks)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ymgve posted:

That's what the flamethrowers are for.

Balrogs are made of fire, you idiot. You imbecile. You loving moron.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Seal it in concrete.

for the love of god, Montressor!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

orcinus posted:

I think i'm losing my mind.

Is this some kind of a bizarro parallel universe?
Why are bazingas *and loving media* fawning over a *tunnel for car traffic*?!

We've had those, and underpasses, for years.

How is lifting a car with a lift more efficient than a ramp?
How is a lift supposed to service a car per second?
loving FREE FALL WILL TAKE A SECOND.

What is going on?

The whole thing is insane. This is why it's important to emphasize that Musk isn't just egotistical or unstable (which seems to be the main "negative" media narrative), but is actually a truly stupid man. Like, stupid in the same way your dog is stupid.

edit: actually I'm pretty sure my dog wouldn't come up with an idea as stupid as this

Kraanerg posted:

There's WAY more problems than just this. Even if everything works as intended, it still wouldn't work. Cars would need to slow down before leaving the main tunnel for the elevators, and it would end up a total clusterfuck with any level of car volume that isn't trivial.

edit: Like, this idea would be improved if he literally just said "build roads, but underground." Yeah, it'd be the same as existing streets and car tunnels (and still dumber than a subway), but at least it wouldn't have the various problems associating with the tunnel only fitting a single vehicle.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Dec 19, 2018

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

this is why all the bazingas fall for the fake Elon crypto scams

I met one recently that tried to reason with me that if it’s such a bad idea then how come ”they’re already digging tunnels in LA?” Like seriously his argument was ‘if it’s so stupid then why is Musk doing it?’ He sure showed me!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

hobbesmaster posted:

for the love of god, Montressor!

The Musk of Amontillado :eyepop:

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

There's WAY more problems than just this. Even if everything works as intended, it still wouldn't work. Cars would need to slow down before leaving the main tunnel for the elevators, and it would end up a total clusterfuck with any level of car volume that isn't trivial.

edit: Like, this idea would be improved if he literally just said "build roads, but underground." Yeah, it'd be the same as existing streets and car tunnels (and still dumber than a subway), but at least it wouldn't have the various problems associating with the tunnel only fitting a single vehicle.

oh I get that but before you get into the quantum-hyper-electro-maglev-antigravity tech doesn’t someone look at the concept art and go, “uh, what if someone stops?”

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

:rimshot:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this is sped up video lol

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
wait I can answer my own question: Elon erupts into a violent rage and fires that person on the spot

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kraanerg posted:

it's not meant to make sense or be workable

it's just meant to sound attractive if you don't have any expertise at all (on anything) and don't think too hard about it

those conditions cover 90% of reporters, 99% of tech reporters, and 100% of investors

he's just trying to sell Popular Science-esque ideas so people will keep showering him with money and fame. he has no need to ever make this public, and if he ever progresses beyond the current step then he can just change things up again

like how he switched from skates to cars on rails and waited until the very last second to spring it on the reporters so they wouldn't have a chance to ask questions or think it over before the demo ride

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Streak posted:

its just so god drat stupid holy poo poo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
proudly announcing our latest breakthrough: the Regular Tunnel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gschmidl posted:

The Musk of Amontillado :eyepop:

The Musk of Amontillado: He had won the battle against himself. He loved the car.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

hobbesmaster posted:

The Musk of Amontillado: He had won the battle against himself. He loved the car.

In Tesla requiescat.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

peepeepants posted:

OH MY GOD

a tunnel for every garage

perpendicular tunnel to a tunnel where cars do 150mph
this keeps getting better
lmao

I'm the open convertible being driven into an unventilated noisy underground shaft

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

it’s literally a loving cult

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kraanerg posted:

Probably something insane like build enough tunnels that you can reroute traffic.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kraanerg posted:

He doesn't have a plan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This would be better if he had just decided that people should should ride roller coasters to work

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

skip the car, make the tunnels above ground, and just do futurama.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Elon musk is like some sort of groverhouse sequel.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Admiral Ray posted:

He doesn't have a plan.

he plans on there only ever being one car in the tunnel - his.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

This would be better if he had just decided that people should should ride roller coasters to work

this is at least conceivably achievable mass transit

can you imagine this tunnel with, i dunno, 30-40 cars? all going 120mph?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

this is at least conceivably achievable mass transit

can you imagine this tunnel with, i dunno, 30-40 cars? all going 120mph?

You could even enclose them for extra safety. Maybe make the seats more comfortable and less restrictive possibly with the ability to move about the interior (they could even sell snacks/drinks). Also run them on magnetic rails since that's the new thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Why isn't there a roller coaster public transit option? Roller coaster rails elevated above the ground are a lot less harmful than big concrete light rail tracks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fully half the replies to elon's tweet about this are people too scared/broken to take pubtrans saying how much better it is because there's no "forced interaction"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

infernal machines posted:

fully half the replies to elon's tweet about this are people too scared/broken to take pubtrans saying how much better it is because there's no "forced interaction"

can't find it again but I saw one tweet along the lines of "capacity could be even higher if people carpooled, but then you'd be sharing a vehicle with a psychopath"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Powershift posted:

Why isn't there a roller coaster public transit option? Roller coaster rails elevated above the ground are a lot less harmful than big concrete light rail tracks.

Just think of how much more productive everyone would be after such an adrenaline rush at 6 in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Catapults imo