Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Agronox posted:

They’re even backtracking from that (because a prototype should at least work). Now the cultists are calling it a “proof of concept” (though what it’s supposed to prove is still beyond me)

that he can dig a sewer tunnel that doesn't even pass inspection for more than people build actual sewers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

A Tesla director of investor relations just left the company

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

bummed that "shuttered cabinetry shop" evidently doesn't tickle any1 else, tbh

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

well. obviously, i s'pose, that's why it closed.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

peepeepants posted:

OH MY GOD

a tunnel for every garage

perpendicular tunnel to a tunnel where cars do 150mph
this keeps getting better
lmao

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

its almost as if this was an incredibly huge embarrassment and the entire media is still covering musk with kid gloves while coming to the realization that he's already well into becoming howard hughes?

howard hughes was an actual insane genius who did a lot of his own design work and was willing to put his money where his mouth was and climb into and fly all of his preposterous deathtraps, whereas elon is a 12 year old with billions of dollars.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also the source on that image is SpaceX. are they making the elevators? or is this whole enterprise just hopelessly mushed together? i guess we already know SpaceX is footing the bill, or at least however much of it elon stole from his investors to put in his other company

it'd be funny if elon murdered privatized space travel for a generation by losing his shirt on this other poo poo

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

oystertoadfish posted:

also the source on that image is SpaceX. are they making the elevators? or is this whole enterprise just hopelessly mushed together? i guess we already know SpaceX is footing the bill, or at least however much of it elon stole from his investors to put in his other company

it'd be funny if elon murdered privatized space travel for a generation by losing his shirt on this other poo poo

Plot twist: The tunnels are actually for making underground space cannons

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So did he halfass the tunnel because he's using it to launder the equipment rental and dirt from digging another drug tunnel under the border?
Hm. Or if it's an escape tunnel he's probably going to end up drowning in a river of poo poo.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rockopolis posted:

So did he halfass the tunnel because he's using it to launder the equipment rental and dirt from digging another drug tunnel under the border?
Hm. Or if it's an escape tunnel he's probably going to end up drowning in a river of poo poo.

South Africa is down

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

spacex probably paid for the graphic

which, it turns out, was made by a professional freelance infographic consultant

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Rockopolis posted:

That would be a better use for this, yeah. Hopefully we get reports that he's shipped one of his tunnel boring machines to the Gigafactory and is boring a tunnel to "facilitate the rapid transfer of raw materials from the Sonora to Nevada".

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

I almost forgot about the ghost town of the executive suite at Tesla

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

What the gently caress does ~proof of concept~ even mean any more? "Here's a shithouse compromise that delivers none of our million fairytale promises; give me your lunch money you fuckin nerd"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:discourse:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it means they made a lovely product and hope to release it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

spacex probably paid for the graphic

which, it turns out, was made by a professional freelance infographic consultant

ok that makes sense thanks

i wanted to make that post but i figured i should add some content, so here's an interesting post from the SAL space industry thread about SpaceX's business model. there's a bit of back and forth in that thread, it seems like they end up agreeing that spacex earns a profit from each launch but whether the whole company is profitable is unknowable

Tuna-Fish posted:

Running at a loss would not in itself be weird. However, when SpaceX raises money, they have to make public releases about the financial obligations of the company and about how it's ownership is structured.

From those, it's possible to see that SpaceX has to date raised a total of $2.5B capital, and has less than $500M of debt. Comparing this against estimated yearly labor costs of >$1B for the workforce, there is simply no room for them to sell rockets substantially below cost. The alternative is that they have lied on official financial releases, and for that Musk wouldn't get a fine like he did for his twitter trolling, he'd actually go to prison.

On top of that, they do not claim to make a small profit; they claim to make money hand over fist at current prices. Most analysts believe this is credible, partly because they get to re-use landed boosters, but frankly more because it's believed that they can build rockets for cheaper. The reason it's believed to be able to build rockets cheaper than their current competition is that their current competition has never really attempted to build rockets cheaper, because it wasn't really in their interests.

The space industry everywhere arose from tools of the cold war, with the "get this done right, cost is no object" mentality. In the US, this meant cost+ contracts with a million subcontractors for every rocket. The main thing that makes SpaceX different is that they try to vertically integrate everything about launching things to space. Elon has boasted that his factory takes unrefined raw materials out of one end and spits out rockets out of the other. Their competitors don't really build rockets from scratch, they assemble rockets from parts made by dozens of subcontractors. The reason this is relevant is that for someone working on a cost+ contract, the overhead of his subcontractors provide additional profit to him. So there is no desire to drive down the cost of parts ordered from subcontractors.

Almost every part in a SpaceX rocket is suboptimal compared to their competitors. You can find a million long diatribes on the internet about how, for example, the upper stage engine is ridiculously heavy an inefficient compared to just putting a RL-10B up there. All of these are right, about the very specific subject of a given component being bad compared to what others use. But they miss the point that a Falcon 9 is not optimized to get the most performance out of every part. It's optimized to be cheap to mass-produce. Part of that was choosing to use the same engine for both stages, even if that's really suboptimal in performance, simply because it means they only need a single production line.

just in case people here care

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Bip Roberts posted:

South Africa is down
:eng101: North of Hawaii, then down.

California is antipodal to the Indian Ocean.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

:cripes:

I don't think car crash photos would horrify me as much as this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

For some reason this reminds me of the nightmarish insane warp drive room from Event Horizon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Skellybones posted:

For some reason this reminds me of the nightmarish insane warp drive room from Event Horizon

I would take back every bad thing I've ever said about Elon Musk if he did open a gateway to hell

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

So I haven't been following the dumb tunnel thing too closely, are they still planning on depressurizing the tunnels? And if so are tesla's even designed to withstand a 1 atm pressure difference? Because from what we've seen of their integrity so far I'm pretty sure the windows are gonna pop out.

that’s the hyper loop.

in this one the tunnels are super pressurized so it shoots your car along like those tubes at the bank drive through.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Iron Crowned posted:

I would take back every bad thing I've ever said about Elon Musk if he did open a gateway to hell

we're gonna tunnel to mars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bird with big dick posted:

that’s the hyper loop.

in this one the tunnels are super pressurized so it shoots your car along like those tubes at the bank drive through.

iirc an earlier version of the napkin sketch that spawned this nonsense had the tunnels evacuated too, because musk is obsessed with air resistance

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how Elon Musk apparently doesn't realize that concrete, is porous. I'm not an expert on concrete, but wouldn't that not only make it impossible to pressurized (other than the fact that you'd have vehicles entering and exiting frequently)?

On top of that, water passes through concrete, so those tunnels would become musty as gently caress in no time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

now imagine you're explaining that to a five year old who has a billion dollars and is absolutely convinced he's right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
pfft you don't need air to cure concrete we'll just use magnets *turns back to gaming console*

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1073507274419621888

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

ok that makes sense thanks

i wanted to make that post but i figured i should add some content, so here's an interesting post from the SAL space industry thread about SpaceX's business model. there's a bit of back and forth in that thread, it seems like they end up agreeing that spacex earns a profit from each launch but whether the whole company is profitable is unknowable

just in case people here care

sounds about right

spacex is sucking up tons of govt funding and has at least enough money lying around that Elon can use SpaceX company money to pay for Boring Company stuff

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how Elon Musk apparently doesn't realize that concrete, is porous. I'm not an expert on concrete, but wouldn't that not only make it impossible to pressurized (other than the fact that you'd have vehicles entering and exiting frequently)?

On top of that, water passes through concrete, so those tunnels would become musty as gently caress in no time.

these aren't the hyperloop tunnels, they're just his random "tunnels are the solution to traffic congestion because you can put an infinite number of roads underground" tunnels

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

sounds about right

spacex is sucking up tons of govt funding and has at least enough money lying around that Elon can use SpaceX company money to pay for Boring Company stuff

these aren't the hyperloop tunnels, they're just his random "tunnels are the solution to traffic congestion because you can put an infinite number of roads underground" tunnels

That's the same ethos that willy wonka used to build his factory under London

Treats his employees about the same too

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

shiksa posted:

the entire media is still covering musk with kid gloves while coming to the realization that he's already well into becoming howard hughes?

Not all of us!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Not all of us!

What, are you some kind of Tesla short?

Show us the shares drgitlin

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/dkwallace1217/status/1075779795890397184?s=20

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Holy poo poo people stan SO GODDAMN HARD for this idiot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

gschmidl posted:

Musk's Mongorail

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

as for the NY 2nd ave subway - getting the machine running after it has been sitting for a decade or more is a very dicey proposal and the costs which would be incurred if it were to break down so extreme it makes sense to just use another one.

Thanks. And I didnt know the insufficient funding plan would have a decade long break, i thought it was gonna be a few years max.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

pfft you don't need air to cure concrete we'll just use magnets *turns back to gaming console*

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1073507274419621888

but thats from when grimes supposedly was using his account!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what did the tweet say

e nm it’s back