Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i haven't seen a contestant story since the invention of dvr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

current champ owns all of her stories are gold which is like unheard of

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Best story will always be the chick who said when she was a kid she once told her father that it was her dream to be on Jeopardy and he straight up said, "Yeahhhh, I think Wheel of Fortune is more your game." :iceburn:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I wouldn't have any interesting stories if I was on jeopardy because I'm the dullest person ever.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I wouldn't have any interesting stories if I was on jeopardy because I'm the dullest person ever.

There’s always something. Sometimes the best stories are not the ones with the most substance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my fave was the woman who liked nerdcore and trebeck made fun of her so a bunch of angry nerdcore rappers made a song dissing him.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GhostStalker posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I loved Alex's total lack of comprehension

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think that was the easiest final jeopardy question that no one got right.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

NPR informed me during their blurb intro to Morning Edition that today is Jackie's birthday. Too bad she lost today, though she had a good run. Probably not enough to make the next ToC though.

I think Alex is gonna make at least a couple more mentions of the new champ being a descendant of Confucius if today was anything to go by.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I gonna miss Jackie. She was def one of the most interesting contestants the shows ever had.

Do not read her wiki page unless you want to learn what an absolute vile piece of poo poo the Runaways manager was :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Kinda bummed that the writers the other day decided to ask about a book banned for its extreme violence rather than its ultraviolence

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Apparently Jackie had a medical emergency just before the first commercial break (hyperglycemic episode linked to a medical issue she's had for months), got up and filmed the rest of the show.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HookShot posted:

Apparently Jackie had a medical emergency just before the first commercial break (hyperglycemic episode linked to a medical issue she's had for months), got up and filmed the rest of the show.
She looked like poo poo the first round of the previous episode too

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

She looked like poo poo the first round of the previous episode too

I haven't actually seen any of it, I'm still behind by about a week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I haven't actually seen any of it, I'm still behind by about a week.

Makes me feel better, we have been 3 episodes behind for forever.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I love that it took three episodes to mention that Jackie was the bassist in The Runaways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1076273459875856384

Lucania
May 1, 2009
Slate had an interview with Jackie Fuchs that explained why the Runaways story wasn't the first one used:

quote:

The best part of Fuchs’ re-entry into the public eye this week was that it came on her own terms. She told Jeopardy! producers that she didn’t want to mention the Runaways unless she made it to a third episode. “I kind of wanted people to get to know me as Jackie Fuchs before they reverted to thinking of me as Jackie Fox,” she told me. “There is more to me than just having been in the Runaways. And even though I’m really, really proud of what the band accomplished, I just don’t want what I did when I was 17 to be the defining factor of my life.”

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That's kind of cool, I get that.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Alex Trebek knows what “Milkshake Duck” means.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kinda embarrassing nobody got that. same with the college kids not getting the leroy jenkins one years back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Kinda embarrassing only one person got FJ today. That was... not difficult.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

lol @ Alex stumbling over the pronunciation of Ezio from Assassin's Creed yesterday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

Kinda embarrassing only one person got FJ today. That was... not difficult.

I thought last night's was embarrassing. I'm not even a military buff and I knew the answer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought last night's was embarrassing. I'm not even a military buff and I knew the answer.

What’s crazy is that every contestant for the week that I talked to was bringing up that they had no idea on the Aircraft carrier final jeopardy. So I donno, I knew it, but sometimes people just don’t figure out the answer quickly enough.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Duckman2008 posted:

What’s crazy is that every contestant for the week that I talked to was bringing up that they had no idea on the Aircraft carrier final jeopardy. So I donno, I knew it, but sometimes people just don’t figure out the answer quickly enough.

Your wife's ep airs tonight, right? Hope it's the first of many!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Your wife's ep airs tonight, right? Hope it's the first of many!

That is correct. Appreciate it! Hope everyone enjoys it, I think it’s a good game.

I can assure you at the least that there are no questions about aircraft carriers tonight.

On another note, we lived for years in Philly and now live in St. Louis, relevant to know for tonight’s game.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I had no idea but my husband blurted it out immediately.

Retro good luck to your wife! I binged a whole bunch of episodes the last two days to catch up so I could watch her tonight :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I had no idea but my husband blurted it out immediately.

Retro good luck to your wife! I binged a whole bunch of episodes the last two days to catch up so I could watch her tonight :)

Haha appreciate it!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

That is correct. Appreciate it! Hope everyone enjoys it, I think it’s a good game.

On another note, we lived for years in Philly and now live in St. Louis, relevant to know for tonight’s game.

i didnt know she was a goons wife when i watched it. I assume she got both the flag clue and the will smith one?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I had no idea either, I said TR.

Anyway, your wife made a good showing tonight, didn't have a bad chance going into Final. Too bad it seemed like she overthought it a bit. I had forgotten that there was a goon wife on the show tonight too, so I'm glad I caught the episode.

banned from Starbucks posted:

i didnt know she was a goons wife when i watched it. I assume she got both the flag clue and the will smith one?
Other challenger dude got the St. Louis DD.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
YES I CAN HEAR YOU, CADE VARNADO

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yessss that was definitely a really good showing by your wife! I enjoyed it immensely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah, she knew both. We watched it tonight with like, 10 friends and family, and the reaction to the guy getting the St. Louis question, everyone started shouting as soon as they saw the goddamn flag of St. Louis. Lol.

Appreciate the kind words everyone. I thought she did extremely well, especially considering she didn’t get a daily double and she was down st one current (and ongoing) champion is really good, everyone had him pegged as threat. I walked in during warmups on that day, and the dude was crushing everyone on the buzzer in practice.

The rumor was the current champ was a jeopardy sub, so while he hasn’t played live before this week, supposedly he has played the practice rounds and been on set before. I haven’t found anything to back this up though.

GhostStalker posted:

Anyway, your wife made a good showing tonight, didn't have a bad chance going into Final. Too bad it seemed like she overthought it a bit. I had forgotten that there was a goon wife on the show tonight too, so I'm glad I caught the episode.

Appreciate It man. Honestly, she knew the answer was wrong, she just didn’t know so she wrote down a word. Biggest irony here: we went to a frickin Cold War museum the previous day in LA, and they just didn’t have anything on the Berlin air lift.

Also: a while loving category on Squirrels.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

The rumor was the current champ was a jeopardy sub, so while he hasn’t played live before this week, supposedly he has played the practice rounds and been on set before. I haven’t found anything to back this up though.

If they're local to the LA area, there's a good chance they were a previous alternate, since those are the only people Jeopardy can reasonably call to come in and not play without wasting money on a flight or whatever. Was your wife's tape day a Tuesday or a Wednesday? Because if it was a Wednesday, then he might've been a holdover from the previous day's taping that got bumped or something, even if he's not from LA. Those are the only non-champ things one would probably have been on set and have done practice rounds for before for that I can think of.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

If they're local to the LA area, there's a good chance they were a previous alternate, since those are the only people Jeopardy can reasonably call to come in and not play without wasting money on a flight or whatever. Was your wife's tape day a Tuesday or a Wednesday? Because if it was a Wednesday, then he might've been a holdover from the previous day's taping that got bumped or something, even if he's not from LA. Those are the only non-champ things one would probably have been on set and have done practice rounds for before for that I can think of.

He def is local to La. it was a Tuesday.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

He def is local to La. it was a Tuesday.

Ok, then him being an alternate that was called back rings true.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
So what was the intended answer to the Dime Store question? Or was it just bad clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
FJ was a bit of a gimme today.