Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
maybe elon's tunnel can be another fyre festival scam but this time the rich are actually on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saw a Model X today and was reminded how ugly that thing is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/kendrawcandraw/status/1075866763852681217

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
stopped at a Chinese strip mall today and a guy stood out in the parking aisle blocking me for about a minute to video record another guy remote piloting his T out of its space. I think he loved the car.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Waffle House posted:

I think most people in this thread are living in a fantasy world where their enraged shitposting has tangible market effects

No, that's Donald Trump

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughMuskSpam/comments/a7yyg7/the_disruptive_innovator_can_simply_see_the/

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I was asking myself the whole time... Why is that rail interface making me so God drat uncomfortable?

It's that :elongate: actually doesn't understand how rails work.

The idea to have a steering rack to wall connection at high speeds is completely bonkers and will never, never ever work with concrete walls, but even with metal guide rails for the rollers it would still be a failure.

Actual train rails do not use boards to guide the rail through a corner, but conical wheels that balance the train in between the rails, like a ping ping pong ball in a round bowl.

They could have created such a system by making both concrete tracks gradient downwards toward the center of the tunnel and the car would not need the super awkward guide wheels. But the added camber torque would propably whomp off the wheels even faster.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Combat Theory posted:

It's that :elongate: actually doesn't understand how rails work.

Oh, he totally understands rails, he's just DISRUPTING them!

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This thread is amazing and has taught me a great deal about this dumb moron idiot, thank you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the more I think about it, the more I realize he isn't reinventing the train

he's reinventing the highway, except it's underground and every lane is in an entirely separate tunnel with its own separate entrances, exits, and other infrastructure

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

They could have created such a system by making both concrete tracks gradient downwards toward the center of the tunnel and the car would not need the super awkward guide wheels. But the added camber torque would propably whomp off the wheels even faster.

aren't train axles basically a straight piece that connects to both wheels, while car axles aren't 'cause their turning radius is small enough that they need either a diff or just no rotational connection between wheels?

idk tho, have some pix of real train poo poo

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
How the hell has that tunnel not collapsed yet? Has it been been inspected? That looks like the most slapdash corner cutting job I've ever seen. Did he have the unpaid interns lay the concrete?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Poco posted:

How the hell has that tunnel not collapsed yet? Has it been been inspected? That looks like the most slapdash corner cutting job I've ever seen. Did he have the unpaid interns lay the concrete?

it's a cylindrical tunnel lined with concrete, that's babyshit for tunnel difficulty

no

yeah

yeah

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

god drat i hate the future so much

why couldnt we have had blade runner or shadowrun instead?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

god drat i hate the future so much

why couldnt we have had blade runner or shadowrun instead?

The only future we were ever going to have was They Live

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Main Paineframe posted:

the more I think about it, the more I realize he isn't reinventing the train

he's reinventing the highway, except it's underground and every lane is in an entirely separate tunnel with its own separate entrances, exits, and other infrastructure

the only reason The Loop is happening underground is because elon thought he figured out the secret to fixing traffic congestion, which was building overpasses everywhere in LA. somehow it penetrated his thick skull that such a thing was untenable but the same powerful radiative waves were unable to dislodge the subsequent idiot idea of "the expressway, but underground"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Poco posted:

There are no exits or breaks in the cylinder, for maximum structural integrity

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cocoa Crispies posted:

aren't train axles basically a straight piece that connects to both wheels, while car axles aren't 'cause their turning radius is small enough that they need either a diff or just no rotational connection between wheels?

Correct. That's also why trains squeal like hell going through sharper corners. People usually think it's the board (or rim?) at the side of the rolling surface hitting the rail, but it's actually stick slipping of the wheels due to their forced synchronous rotation on different radii.

Air filled tires can cope with orders of magnitude more slip before they behave weird, but they are also less efficient due to requiring an inherent amount of slip to transmit forces that is an order of magnitude over solid metal wheels. That's why some race cars in endurance racing just forfeit diffentials altogether instead of trying to come up with a limited slip design that survives 24H races.

A car running on these tunnel radii would not even need a differential. But when you start optimizing track bound tunnel transport you inevitably end up at... A loving train... What a suprise.

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Dec 22, 2018

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Next you'll be telling me there are trains that can go several hundred kph.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Train wheels are tapered, and the axle moves to the outside of the track making the outside wheel run on a larger diameter part of the wheel and the inside wheel :eng101:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Reposting this because Elon Musk keeps refusing to stop being an snl skit.

https://youtu.be/F42qmFHNM-M

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks for that gif, I was looking way too long to find something not even as good.

Problem with railroads is that the system only really works perfect with brand new ideal wheels and brand new ideal tracks, the moment stuff begins to wear down you get out of the necessary optimum geometry. Not that it's specifically bad, you just get the squeal once in a while.
Doesn't help when you also have a brake shoe that pushes directly onto that already wear bound taper.

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Dec 22, 2018

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Wheels and brake shoes are one of the most common reasons for bad orders because of them going out of true and a billion other things that cause the wheels to get all goofy. Another neat/weird thing about the wheels are that they are matched pairs so that they work together and don't say bounce back and forth on the rails causing wear on the wheels, axles, knuckles, and like 3 other things. Point being all of this nonsense is a solved problem that Musk completely whiffs on and thinks he's a genius all the while. I mean Kennywood in Pittsburgh has that exact setup made out of wood that you can go ride that's been around for 100 years or so. Minus the 'tunnel' of course.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Muscle Wizard posted:

the only reason The Loop is happening underground is because elon thought he figured out the secret to fixing traffic congestion, which was building overpasses everywhere in LA. somehow it penetrated his thick skull that such a thing was untenable but the same powerful radiative waves were unable to dislodge the subsequent idiot idea of "the expressway, but underground"

The ultimate funniest conclusion to all of this would be his tunnel system actually getting built and then him having to face the extraordinarily obvious fact that this concept creates even worse congestion than a regular highway and won't solve any problems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole Loop thing was hilarious especially how shoe string the whole operation was like amazing amusement park ride technology or the half-rear end brick wall tower.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What was the purpose of the tower anyway?

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

The ultimate funniest conclusion to all of this would be his tunnel system actually getting built and then him having to face the extraordinarily obvious fact that this concept creates even worse congestion than a regular highway and won't solve any problems.

let's not pretend that musk would ever face the consequences from his own failure, at least mentally if not materially.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

turn off the TV posted:

we're in tunnel hell. check back for more updates soon! BIG things on the horizon!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

iospace posted:

Well first someone asked him on twitter what he was going to do with all the earthern material he was digging up.

Make bricks! Was his response.

Well, what are you going to do with all the bricks then?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

iospace posted:

To indulge his vanity by making a Monty Python reference.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

it's remarkable that poster is always the worst part of any thread they show up in

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Muscle Wizard posted:

let's not pretend that musk would ever face the consequences from his own failure, at least mentally if not materially.

Yeah but he's still gonna be in his retarded tunnel some day when a car's tire pops and it bottoms out in the center, causing a massive pileup that kills everyone in the tunnel because the pedestrian escape path is the same road the cars are on, and there are no emergency exits so they all either melt or die from the toxic chemicals leaking out of the inevitable days long lithium battery fire.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It will be basically be the fyre festival except underground.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah but he's still gonna be in his retarded tunnel some day when a car's tire pops and it bottoms out in the center, causing a massive pileup that kills everyone in the tunnel because the pedestrian escape path is the same road the cars are on, and there are no emergency exits so they all either melt or die from the toxic chemicals leaking out of the inevitable days long lithium battery fire.

I don't know, all that sounds like a driver error at the end of the day to me

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TheDon01 posted:

Well first someone asked him on twitter what he was going to do with all the earthern material he was digging up.

Make bricks! Was his response.

Well, what are you going to do with all the bricks then?

The best part is, the tower doesn't contain any actual bricks.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

the solution to this congestion problem was already posted itt

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Just saw a tesla SUV do (at least) a 6-point turn when 3 would've done just fine, and still almost hit a parked car

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

You mean like this? (viewed as frontal section)

code:
_____                 ______
         \________/
e: this thread is interesting af

Lord Stimperor has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Dec 22, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Teslas are like those lizards that drop their tails when they feel threatened but wheels instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'll give Musk this: he's managed to convince lots of wealthy rubes to accept a level of quality and customer service that would have destroyed a traditional car company. I know a dude who's tesla arrived 9 months late, had poo poo falling off of it immediately, and if he ever damages it lol good luck finding a body shop that can work on it.