Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Octopath is 40% off, meaning you can get it for 35 euro which is a fine deal for the game.

Octopath doesn't seem to be on sale in NA which is a real bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The previous thread title that was democratically chosen and allowed to live for like a day was better than the current one

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hrpff posted:

Has anyone here played disgaea 1? i read you cant kill your own guys if you want the true ending but i keep accidentally killing prinnys
is the true ending just something i can watch on youtube or are there major gameplay differences that i'd be missing out on?

You can redo the story as many times as you want using your level 9999 guys from the post game, which is the real game in Disgaea the story is just a tutorial.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

a7m2 posted:

Mario x Rabbids is good but it takes until like the third world to get challenging, and even then only if you try to get the best ranking on all the levels. It's really fun though, and I found it rewarding once I got to that spot, which doesn't take long.

I thought it was a good challange. Didnt fail super often, but had to think and plan to get high ranks.

It's odd when it first came out there was a lot of chat that it was TOO hard. Which I wonder the ven diagram of people wanting wacky rabbids vs wanting a strategy game?

Still i think it's a great game and i like it better than xcom for transparency alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I was going to get one disgaea, should I go with one or 5?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nintendo Switch: ok, oven's on and it's in, now what?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'd grab the newest. They keep refining the game, the only reason to play an older one is for the story and most are bleh.

The first one is the exception and has an awesome story, but not worth missing out on the other features pick up 1 at a later point.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

hrpff posted:

Has anyone here played disgaea 1? i read you cant kill your own guys if you want the true ending but i keep accidentally killing prinnys
is the true ending just something i can watch on youtube or are there major gameplay differences that i'd be missing out on?

Throwing prinnies doesn't count as 'killing allies'. Throwing enemies into the base panel in an attempt to capture them, and getting allies killed that way doesn't count.

Actually hitting allies with direct attacks that kill them, and clipping allies with AoE attacks that kill them, does.

edit:

5. I absolutely love every game in the series, but, if you're going to only get one of the available versions, 5 has a shitload of stuff to it, and is the culmination of years of quality-of-life improvements making it the most fun version they've put out. 1 has a special, 'all time best' spot in my heart, but that's probably because I put 500 hours on it in 2003 when it first dropped on the PS3. I can still recommend it, generally.

5er fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 23, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

5, not even a question. The games are directly iterative so 5 has tons of features and QoL 1 lacks with no downside since the core doesnt really change.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

b_d posted:

into teh breach maybe? or disgaea 5. probably he means the former though.

Yeah I love into the breach just unlocked the last squad but it’s not really a tactical game, it’s a puzzle dressed up in mechs imo.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fun Times! posted:

The previous thread title that was democratically chosen and allowed to live for like a day was better than the current one

my mouth is perfect for the Switch

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cool, I’ll get 5 once I get a microSD card since my switch is basically full. Not a lot of memory on this thing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

holy dogshit, amfilm makes matte finish screen protectors now

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Cool, I’ll get 5 once I get a microSD card since my switch is basically full. Not a lot of memory on this thing.

I got a 128GB SDHC card off Amazon a few months ago for $15bux, I can't imagine it'll cost you much to give yourself a whopping space upgrade.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Disgaea 5 is so much fun that I bought D1 for when I finish it. I know the gameplay isn't as refined as 5 but the better story and characters should make up for that.

I did not know that accidentally killing your allies will change the ending. Is it like that in 5 too? I inevitably have so many aoe skills lined up that friendly fire happens quite a bit in item world.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I can't believe how easy this thing picks up dock scratches. Jeez.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pakled posted:

I had a subscription to Nintendo Power in the late 90's/early 00's. I remember seeing the first pictures of SSBM and thinking "holy poo poo, you can see the seams in Mario's overalls!"

Melee had some great texture work for it's time

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah it's pretty much plenty for patches if you go physical. But not digital.

Unfortunately black Friday was the time to buy them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Melee still looks great, if a bit low-res. Same with Rogue Squadron 2. The GameCube had a lot of games with art design that had some staying power.

Edit

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, I really wish my new job started before Black Friday so I could take advantage of the deals, but as it is I’ve been going nuts on the eshop anyway. I keep telling myself I’m going to buy more physical games when I’m getting new stuff so I can trade it in if I get a turd, but digital is so convienent.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fun Times! posted:

agreed, op

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah it's pretty much plenty for patches if you go physical. But not digital.

Doesn’t the physical version of LA Noire even need a patch that almost fills the stock console.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

It's ambitious, I'll admit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

number one pta fan posted:

I can't believe how easy this thing picks up dock scratches. Jeez.

Only if you planned to get sick scratches beforehand :colbert:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm against DLC on principle, even if it could be free.

lol

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Doesn’t the physical version of LA Noire even need a patch that almost fills the stock console.

That's some rockstar rear end poo poo right there.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Picked up a Switch last week on an impulse and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Played Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild and love both. What are some must-have accessories? I got mine from Costco which came with a hard case and mario odyssey. I plan on picking up an SD card and the amfilm glass cover.

Also how is the Flashback port for the switch? I saw it was on sale on the estore.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
How are the Mercenaries Saga games? Also are the switch versions of Civ 6 and Cities Skylines well done?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

How are the Mercenaries Saga games? Also are the switch versions of Civ 6 and Cities Skylines well done?

If you must play a turn based strategy game the mercenary sagas are exactly that and not more.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Barudak posted:

If you must play a turn based strategy game the mercenary sagas are exactly that and not more.

Does it have a decent class tree system? I generally don't care about video game stories so I don't really care if the story is mediocre because frankly I'll probably just skip straight through it anyways.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Did the case mod on my Switch and left joycon!

Skipping doing the right joycon for now because it's a pain in the rear end honestly. Tiny freaking springs behind the trigger buttons.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The additional download for the physical version is 14GB, so about half the internal storage. Rockstar cheaped out and put a 30GB game on a 16GB cart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

Does it have a decent class tree system? I generally don't care about video game stories so I don't really care if the story is mediocre because frankly I'll probably just skip straight through it anyways.

I dont care about story either, its just the whole package very bland. Dont be expecting tons of tactical or customization depth, but its all there copy and pasted 3 times with basically no changes.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kithyen posted:

Picked up a Switch last week on an impulse and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Played Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild and love both. What are some must-have accessories? I got mine from Costco which came with a hard case and mario odyssey. I plan on picking up an SD card and the amfilm glass cover.

Also how is the Flashback port for the switch? I saw it was on sale on the estore.

Since you’ve already got a hard case for on-the-go, I’d suggest a Pro Controller for docked use. They’re pricey, but I love the hell out of mine. See if you can try one out first before dropping the money on it.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

squirrelzipper posted:

What is? Genuinely curious as I’m about to buy this digital to play over the holidays to scratch my xcom itch - family is monopolizing my tv.

I'll second the opinion of Mario + rabbids being great. It's my second favorite title on the system.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

squirrelzipper posted:

What is? Genuinely curious as I’m about to buy this digital to play over the holidays to scratch my xcom itch - family is monopolizing my tv.

Argue posted:

There's that, Steamworld Heist, and Valkyria; am I missing another sweet turn-based tactics game?

Everybody else already answered for me, but yeah I meant Into the Breach.

It's so loving good, you guys

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It was such a huge jump over N64 and was pretty mindblowing. I’d spent a lot of time inspecting all the trophies under the different lighting options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Into the Breach had a constructed mode instead of only random itd be my favorite game, instead it was a 10 or so really fun hours and then never again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I played up to the first boss in Mario and Rabbids and stopped for some reason. I should try that again too

god drat I have a lot of games I've played for an hour and otherwise not touched on this thing. Worse than goddamn Steam

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kinda overwhelmed by Starlink. Just got off the first planet and there's just so much to do. I'm enjoying just flying around and shooting poo poo however so I think I'll stick to that.

Trying to not get too sucked in. I really need to wrap up at least the sidequests in Octopath. Hit a wall with one boss in an optional dungeon, and a bit annoyed about moving forward, but I'll get around it soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I think I played up to the first boss in Mario and Rabbids and stopped for some reason. I should try that again too

god drat I have a lot of games I've played for an hour and otherwise not touched on this thing. Worse than goddamn Steam

Yeah, it get better from there as characters get more specialized.