Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

PokeJoe posted:

i really want to get a new job in the new year. im thinking about startups too but im not sure i wanna. one my friend works at wants me to write javascript for android :sigh:

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
BigCo was also the only place that gave me a background check, most of the smaller startups asked for references. there was one job at a 10 person startup that i got entirely because i had one good reference (as in, i didn't have to interview at all). if it is going toward the way of background checks i guess i guess i'm glad tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I personally resented the background check because they specifically refused to hold back that I previously had another name. they told my current employer the name I had at the time for any previous thing like college diploma, previous jobs, etc. basically forcing me to be outed to my company's hr to be employed.

like, it wouldn't be that hard to just have the background check people just give a list of confirmed employers and events but nope they insist on smearing your deadname all over it.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

had a chat with a disney recruiter. from first impressions i don't think it would be a good time working there

curious what kind of work and what the impressions were?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mod saas posted:

curious what kind of work and what the impressions were?

iOS dev position. Recruiter said they work with xamarin(lol cross platform), that they’re in the process of hiring a QA team but for now the devs write the QA scripts as well, that they are in a crunch to deliver their streaming service and she mentioned how overworked she was. It just seems bad to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jit bull transpile posted:

I personally resented the background check because they specifically refused to hold back that I previously had another name. they told my current employer the name I had at the time for any previous thing like college diploma, previous jobs, etc. basically forcing me to be outed to my company's hr to be employed.

like, it wouldn't be that hard to just have the background check people just give a list of confirmed employers and events but nope they insist on smearing your deadname all over it.

ugh that’s horrid. I’m so glad my deadname has no professional presence.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Heard back from a pretest I did Saturday morning. They ended up rejecting me. I assumed it was going to happen though. I was on the last question, which asked for a tree traversal that printed every level on its own line. Instead, I gave them a pre-order traversal. Also this will sound like a complaint, but I was in the third hour for it and I just didn't want to spend another hour or so on it. I'm sure it means I'm too "dumb" or something, but it just means I need to practice more. At some point, I should be able to recognize how to solve these things. Better luck next time! :D

mekkanare fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 27, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mekkanare posted:

Heard back from a pretest I did Saturday morning. They ended up rejecting me. I assumed it was going to happen though. I was on the last question, which asked for a tree traversal that printed every level on its own line. Instead, I gave them a pre-order traversal. Also this will sound like a complaint, but I was in the third hour for it and I just didn't want to spend another hour or so on it. I'm sure it means I'm too "dumb" or something, but it just means I need to practice more. At some point, I should be able to recognize how to solve these things. Better luck next time! :D

these questions are dumb as gently caress and not at all related to any real job. they're staffed with dipshits who want to prove how smart they are and they're only going to wind up hiring people who obsessively read programming interview books rather than becoming better at things like communication, risk analysis, or being a human being

i wouldn't worry about it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DELETE CASCADE posted:

but its extremely BROWN, thats not so cool.

:thunk:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
background checks are easy to pass unless you're a fuckup.

i had to sign off on giving up all my medical records and non-medical mental health poo poo, which they pulled.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the good news is one of my interviews went well enough that they asked me for references

the bad news is its in the greater toronto area. those rents :stonk:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

things have gotten curious at my current workplace after putting in the notice last week: the boss has told me that in order to leave the company i need to sign a non-compete - my response to this is "haha no" because this was not mentioned in any contract that i have signed and to the best of my knowledge documents signed under duress have no legal strength. probably i will end up signing it anyway because the next place will not be robotics and i dont care enough to start messing with lawyers

whats even more curious is that the guy wants to keep my quitting a secret until the year ends, but of course some people already know as we are actively handing stuff over so now he is basically asking me to lie to cover his rear end (except i dont even know who else already knows)

i have absolutely no regrets leaving this company, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Penisface posted:

things have gotten curious at my current workplace after putting in the notice last week: the boss has told me that in order to leave the company i need to sign a non-compete - my response to this is "haha no" because this was not mentioned in any contract that i have signed and to the best of my knowledge documents signed under duress have no legal strength. probably i will end up signing it anyway because the next place will not be robotics and i dont care enough to start messing with lawyers
How much severance are they offering if you sign?

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 27, 2018

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

How much severance are they offering if you sign?

i did not ask but i am pretty sure that the number rhymes with hero :)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

why sign then? not sure I understand

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

a cyberpunk goose posted:

why sign then? not sure I understand

basically not worth it to pick this hill to die on?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
what can they do if you simply refuse to sign?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

redleader posted:

what can they do if you simply refuse to sign?

nothing that’s what

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Rex-Goliath posted:

these questions are dumb as gently caress and not at all related to any real job...

i wouldn't worry about it

I agree. It sucks but nothing I can do, so no point to worry.

Penisface posted:

the boss has told me that in order to leave the company i need to sign a non-compete

Tell him 我慢。I'm sure he'd love it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Penisface posted:

Don't be an idiot then. You gain nothing from this.

They're also being idiots. It's not a contract without them providing something of value to you. No payment would risk it being unenforceable.

More constructively, ask how much severance you'll get in exchange for such a deal (at least 2 weeks pay is completely standard for this sort of thing, often more). Usually exit packages also include a release where you promise not to sue for whatever.

It is 100% worth their while to pay you to get that out of you, don't give it away for free.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A guy who used to work for us handed his notice in in September this year. HR immediately tried to get him to sign a piece of paper admitting to being tardy and not good at his job etc. I told him gently caress no don't sign that paper because there is nothing they can do to compel him, so he ended up refusing. Low and behold the company fired him anyway but with two weeks severance a day later. So I saved that guy at least 2k and he bought me a beer afterwards.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Penisface posted:

whats even more curious is that the guy wants to keep my quitting a secret until the year ends, but of course some people already know as we are actively handing stuff over so now he is basically asking me to lie to cover his rear end (except i dont even know who else already knows)

i have absolutely no regrets leaving this company, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress it

Don't sign it. Even if you don't think you'll be working in the same industry, you might. Its not a "hill to die on" its a semi-awkward conversation between you and management. You're 100% in the right here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Penisface posted:

Penisface posted:

basically not worth it to pick this hill to die on?

lol just say no, wtf is wrong with you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

a background check would be 100% useless if it could be evaded by changing your name, and 99% useless if it could be evaded by changing your sex

perhaps obviously no one involved has any incentive whatsoever to care about your privacy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
civilian background checks should just be a limited set of legally defined questions that the background checking service can validate without actually revealing detailed information

like "Did this person attend this institution?" yes/no "did this person recieve this degree at said institution?" yes/no "Does the personal information this person provided to us match up with reality?" yes/no

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a background check would be 100% useless if it could be evaded by changing your name, and 99% useless if it could be evaded by changing your sex

perhaps obviously no one involved has any incentive whatsoever to care about your privacy

how the gently caress do you get "evaded" from what jbt posted?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my reading was that jbt's objection was to the background check company revealing her deadname to the hiring company, not knowing it themselves

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

raminasi posted:

my reading was that jbt's objection was to the background check company revealing her deadname to the hiring company, not knowing it themselves

exactly

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol just say no, wtf is wrong with you

don't sign poo poo for no reason just cause someone wants you to

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lancemantis posted:

civilian background checks should just be a limited set of legally defined questions that the background checking service can validate without actually revealing detailed information

like "Did this person attend this institution?" yes/no "did this person recieve this degree at said institution?" yes/no "Does the personal information this person provided to us match up with reality?" yes/no

well the problem here is if a past institution has her old name. also when you're dealing with the feds you have to check all your employees against several exclusion lists every month. theres no way the feds are going to let you ignore former names for an employee since that's litterrally the most common way people try to get around the lists.

its unfortunate that trans people have to deal with multiple names, but there aren't really any reliable, alternate identifiers. you can try to use SSN but you're not supposed to plus not everyone keeps or makes SSN available for searches (for good reason).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

still garbage: being rejected for not having a github filled with spare time projects

welp

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i get what you’re trying to say but wow this is just about the shittiest possible way to say it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dead names and all their implications should be seen as similarly sensitive information as sexual orientation, religion, or medical history when it comes to background checks for regular employment, and asking for that information should definitely be something that lands you in legal trouble.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

dead names and all their implications should be seen as similarly sensitive information as sexual orientation, religion, or medical history when it comes to background checks for regular employment, and asking for that information should definitely be something that lands you in legal trouble.

background checks are literally the act of looking at who you were in the past

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Chalks posted:

jfc

verification of employment, educational, and criminal history does not require sharing prior religion, gender, political affiliations, or pretty much anything that can lead to discrimination

i get if you're walking into a NATIONAL SECURITY situation where blackmail is a possibility but we are absolutely not talking about that here

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Chalks posted:

background checks are often asked for by corporations who would never actually need that information. I've had to clear two of them for Salesforce; once as an employee of Heroku, and once as a contractor.

There's no way that salesforce needs to know that much about me given a lowly software dev job (who then ends up pulling code from various untrusted OSS sources the moment NPM enters the picture) with the same amount of details that GOES/Nexus/TSA PreCheck asked of me when I tried to get on a trusted travelers list.

That this ends up leaking protected status information for a company that does not need and should not even have access to it is just blatantly wrong.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
while we're at it, for ordinary jobs credit checks shouldn't be allowed either :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chalks posted:

background checks violate nondiscrimination acts when they have the potential to reveal trans status

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

while we're at it, for ordinary jobs credit checks shouldn't be allowed either :colbert:
iirc thats now illegal (for most positions) in california

thanks jerry :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

jfc

verification of employment, educational, and criminal history does not require sharing prior religion, gender, political affiliations, or pretty much anything that can lead to discrimination

i get if you're walking into a NATIONAL SECURITY situation where blackmail is a possibility but we are absolutely not talking about that here

yeah, but it does require you to disclose your name, which is what's being discussed

MononcQc posted:

background checks are often asked for by corporations who would never actually need that information. I've had to clear two of them for Salesforce; once as an employee of Heroku, and once as a contractor.

There's no way that salesforce needs to know that much about me given a lowly software dev job (who then ends up pulling code from various untrusted OSS sources the moment NPM enters the picture) with the same amount of details that GOES/Nexus/TSA PreCheck asked of me when I tried to get on a trusted travelers list.

That this ends up leaking protected status information for a company that does not need and should not even have access to it is just blatantly wrong.

background checks really have no place in the majority of tech employment unless you're working in a particularly sensitive area. i've never heard of them being done for normal jobs in the UK, so perhaps this is a US thing?

Pollyanna posted:

background checks violate nondiscrimination acts when they have the potential to reveal trans status

is that actually true? because that would render background checks useless which seems like something that wouldn't make it into a law