Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

3"x21" should be banned, I'm not kidding. There's not enough surface area to keep consistently flat.
Sounds like anything smaller than that would also be contra-recommended, too? IOW 4x24 is the smallest size that you find reasonable to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any opinions on belt sanders and drill presses? For the former, specifically opinions on the handheld ones vs. stationary ones? I guess handheld is better for large pieces and stationary for small ones, but honestly I've never used one before and I figure it's about time I got one.

RE: drill press

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-presses-lathes/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press_g1191502.html

This one is pretty good. I've had it at work, for a couple years, and want to dry hump that poo poo almost every time I use it.

Good reviews too. Not just on the lowes site, but on various tool review type blogs and such.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I definitely am eyeing a 15" floor standing press myself, but I don't think I can justify the cost over a bench-mount 10", which is about 1/3 the price. Considering I've been limping along without a press, is there something I'm missing that I would cry about if I just got a 10"?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sounds like anything smaller than that would also be contra-recommended, too? IOW 4x24 is the smallest size that you find reasonable to use?

Yeah. I've had the smaller ones. Like Kaiser (I think) mentioned, the weight is working for you, you just guide that puppy.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah. I've had the smaller ones. Like Kaiser (I think) mentioned, the weight is working for you, you just guide that puppy.

Only use for the small ones is doing fun shaping work.
https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/power-tools/portable-power-tools/sanders/3inch-x-21inch-dragster-belt-sander/ds321

I've got an older version of this that I really like, but it's definitely not good for plane surface sanding. I use it to debark trees and root balls for live wood projects, as well as the occasional door/edge work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

B-Nasty posted:

I definitely am eyeing a 15" floor standing press myself, but I don't think I can justify the cost over a bench-mount 10", which is about 1/3 the price. Considering I've been limping along without a press, is there something I'm missing that I would cry about if I just got a 10"?

Couldn't tell you about that. I guess if you were working on something bigger and you had to centre your work?

But then, why don't you get a 400 inch press or whatever the gently caress? :v:

I don't have much experience with tons of different ones, just that I've used the one I listed above and its pretty goddam sweet.

YMMV

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you're going to buy an upright belt sander, make sure the belts are not some sort of weird (impossible to get) proprietary size, and that you have some grit and paper type variety in the size you get.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Find a used machinery dealer and get an older but high quality drill press for less than a brand new junky one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I thought about mentioning that, things like shaping contour counters, but I figured he's not gonna go there. Plus an orbital sander will generally cover that sort of thing, but yeah.

Brute Squad posted:

I've got an older version of this that I really like, but it's definitely not good for plane surface sanding. I use it to debark trees and root balls for live wood projects, as well as the occasional door/edge work.

Debarkin with a beltsander eh? Thats a new one to me.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Whatever you get, get some of this graphite fabric to go between the belt and the platten-it makes a world of difference. Keeps the belts from digging into the wood and helps them run cooler and last longer. https://woodworker.com/4-wide-graphite-canvas-mssu-919-610.asp?search=Graphite&searchmode=2

I see this a lot, which always makes me wonder - why doesn't the manufacturer just include something like this with the sander?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I see this a lot, which always makes me wonder - why doesn't the manufacturer just include something like this with the sander?
Probably because it would cost like 3 more dollars. It doesn't sand as aggressively with the graphite stuff on either-maybe if someone was trying to sand down a deck or floor (or debark a tree?) or something they wouldn't want it?

For trying to get a nice flat surface on large wooden surfaces, I'd stick with 4x24, but it looks like hardly anyone actually makes 4x24 belt sanders anymore?! Porter Cable seems to have discontinued their's-about all I can find is that Makita or this: https://www.rockler.com/triton-t41200bs-10a-4-x-24-belt-sander. It's only 3x21 but the Porter Cable 352 VS looks like what a belt sander is supposed to look like. Klingspor makes great belts.

For a woodworking drill press, the two main things to think about are the depth of the throatand the stroke length/spindle travel. I'd look for something with close to 4" of spindle travel so you can drill a nice straight hole through a 4x4, but you might not need something that big. Drill presses are pretty simple machines so as long as it's not a total piece of junk you should be fine. Like iForge said, a drill press would be a good candidate for a used machine- you can probably get a big old floor size delta or Powermatic for what a new benchtop import would cost.

Mr. Mambold posted:

3"x21" should be banned, I'm not kidding. There's not enough surface area to keep consistently flat.

Same. I'm not a Bosch fanboy, but I recommend their 4"x24" unreservedly. I've had mine for 30 years. The dust bag looks like an old bull scrote, but that thing will keep hogging long after I'm done.
I used to use a Bosch and loved it, but when I went to get one of my own I found out they don't seem to make belt sanders anymore :saddowns:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, y'all. I went ahead and ordered the Makita. I decided I'm not willing to be super price-sensitive on this one. It'll be interesting getting the hang of using it and not gouging huge chunks out of my workpieces.

As for the drill press, I guess I'll just keep an eye on Craigslist for awhile and see what pops up. Do they tend to disassemble into something I could plausibly fit into my Civic? Noting that this is one of those rare breeds of Civics where the trunk doesn't connect to the back seat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Probably because it would cost like 3 more dollars. It doesn't sand as aggressively with the graphite stuff on either-maybe if someone was trying to sand down a deck or floor (or debark a tree?) or something they wouldn't want it?

I used to use a Bosch and loved it, but when I went to get one of my own I found out they don't seem to make belt sanders anymore :saddowns:

Woah! Good thing I got one when I did?

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I went ahead and ordered the Makita. I decided I'm not willing to be super price-sensitive on this one. It'll be interesting getting the hang of using it and not gouging huge chunks out of my workpieces.

As for the drill press, I guess I'll just keep an eye on Craigslist for awhile and see what pops up. Do they tend to disassemble into something I could plausibly fit into my Civic? Noting that this is one of those rare breeds of Civics where the trunk doesn't connect to the back seat.

Good choice Makita. As for drill presses, the Delta I've got maybe qualifies as a benchtop, it's like 36" tall, or so, idk, but it's full featured, so you could haul it I think.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Festools does...but its Festools and the belt sander is $750 so yeah.

I always thought of Festools as overpriced "my cheaper version can do it just fine" until I started using them and of all the tools I would drop the cash on if I had it, would be their sanders with dust collection.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

You'd probably need to bribe a friend with a bigger vehicle to get a proper drill press home unless. Just an example for you, I bought my current drill press for $150 at a used machinery place in southern New Jersey. It has a #2MT spindle with a 5/8" chuck in it, so I can pull the chuck out and use larger taper shank drills in it when needed:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How do I extract this metal pin from the castor/wheel? Any tool recommendations for this?

I've tried a clawgrip hammer's claw, it's not wide enough.

I've tried regular pliers, not enough grip.

I've tried wedging a flat screwdriver under the lip of the pin to lever it out, it worked for 1 out of 5 castors, but not for the other 4.

These castors are brand new.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Locking pliers? :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think you don't have to worry too much about marring the metal but maybe try to wrap something like a piece of rubber around it and then use some vice grips

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm going to the local tool library in a few days and will try holding the pin with a metal vice if they have one, I've emailed them to make sure they do before I head there.

I'll get some if the vice is a bust, and try.

BraveUlysses posted:

I think you don't have to worry too much about marring the metal but maybe try to wrap something like a piece of rubber around it and then use some vice grips

Good suggestion, I think I may have an inner tube kicking around somewhere I will repurpose for this. I give zero shits about the pins being marred, they will be binned shortly, the chair already has pins installed which are completely non-removable (Steelcase Leap draughtsman chair, the first version, which has really stupid non-removable castor pins; they fixed this in the newer versions of the chair I believe, but I am not binning a perfectly good chair and buying a brand new one for 600 quid or whatever they cost).

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Steakandchips posted:

I'm going to the local tool library in a few days and will try holding the pin with a metal vice if they have one, I've emailed them to make sure they do before I head there.

I'll get some if the vice is a bust, and try.

Good suggestion, I think I may have an inner tube kicking around somewhere I will repurpose for this. I give zero shits about the pins being marred, they will be binned shortly, the chair already has pins installed which are completely non-removable (Steelcase Leap draughtsman chair, the first version, which has really stupid non-removable castor pins; they fixed this in the newer versions of the chair I believe, but I am not binning a perfectly good chair and buying a brand new one for 600 quid or whatever they cost).

I'd be afraid of the pin having a larger base and breaking the molding coming out. Are the ones on the chair the same diameter? If they're a bit smaller, it looks like you could cut then caster pins flush and just drop in.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mr. Mambold posted:

I thought about mentioning that, things like shaping contour counters, but I figured he's not gonna go there. Plus an orbital sander will generally cover that sort of thing, but yeah.

Debarkin with a beltsander eh? Thats a new one to me.

Fastest way to clean off the roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvI89tGp02o

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Any recommendations on what would be best for light duty sawing in tight spaces? Specifically we're remolding our den closet, which currently has chipboard and cardboard (wtf) sheeting on the walls, and somehow or another the chipboard goes well above the ceiling of the closet. Just looking to cut it flush enough to hang drywall. This is built under the slope of the roof as well, and from the looks of things all the walls follow this pattern.

I was thinking a cutoff wheel for our dremel but am open to suggestions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like a possible good use of one of those oscillating multitools.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Perfect application for an OMT. The Harbor Freight one is surprisingly durable, far better than a Dremel MultiMax. Hell, I'd say it rivals a low-end Fein. Just get the adjustable speed one, it's nice to dial it back for sanding. As for blades, the Bosch Carbide are the bee's knees. Cheap blades wear out pretty quickly if you're cutting drywall or ever hit a nail.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
There is no way a $35 harbor freight omt rivals Fein but for that price and the specific project its perfect. OMT are pretty cool, if you have the $ to go for a tool less blade change I'd splurge because its a pretty smooth system

edit: don't forget to wear ear pro they are LOUD

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 9, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nth-ing the recommendation for an oscillating multitool.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I like the design of the Ryobi and Ridgid versions of those tools, despite being a bit bulky they have a head that can be taken off and reinstalled at 90* angles which can help with getting into difficult areas

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Rad thanks for the suggestions all, we went with the Milwaukee M12 Oscillating Multi Tool, makes sense to keep in the same battery family as our other power tools.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Any Australians that can recommend me a good cordless drill available here? Mainly for basic household stuff but looking to try my hand at a bit of woodworking later.
I have an 18v Ryobi mower for our tiny yard, with battery & charger, so it'd be logical to stay within that system, but I just get the feeling that the brand is kinda junk?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

There is no way a $35 harbor freight omt rivals Fein but for that price and the specific project its perfect. OMT are pretty cool, if you have the $ to go for a tool less blade change I'd splurge because its a pretty smooth system

edit: don't forget to wear ear pro they are LOUD

I've used both, and own 2 of the HF's. Ditto with my FiL who is a professional cabinet maker and carpenter. When his Fein's burned out, he replaced them with HFs. Sure the blade change sucks, but if you use good quality blades, that's not a big issue. I wear good gloves and good ear pro, but that goes for any OMT. Fein's just aren't $200 better.

My Dremel MultiMax burned out after less than a year (the sliding power switch wore through the microswitch that actually turned it on), and my JobMax is a POS comparatively. The interchangeable heads seem nice, but it's loud, vibrates a lot, and the heads move in use. That's one of the few tools I regret buying, although the 90° drill head was needed for an odd cabinet job.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hollandia posted:

Any Australians that can recommend me a good cordless drill available here? Mainly for basic household stuff but looking to try my hand at a bit of woodworking later.
I have an 18v Ryobi mower for our tiny yard, with battery & charger, so it'd be logical to stay within that system, but I just get the feeling that the brand is kinda junk?

Ryobi aren't terrible, just not outstanding. If you have batteries and chargers for Ryobi just get their drill.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

cakesmith handyman posted:

Ryobi aren't terrible, just not outstanding. If you have batteries and chargers for Ryobi just get their drill.

Seconded. If you're not building a house with it, a Ryobi 18v will last for years.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’m looking to be able to tap and thread 1” black cast iron pipe, so I can build a multi tier desk over top of my amp for music stuff.

Are cast iron pipe taps similar to regular tap and die stuff where it is worthwhile to pay the extra premium for good quality Ridgid ratcheting dies, or is the 40$ harbor freight pipe threader set adequate?

I’ve already got a ridgid heavy duty pipe cutter, so the ratcheting threader is all I need

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

sharkytm posted:

I've used both, and own 2 of the HF's. Ditto with my FiL who is a professional cabinet maker and carpenter. When his Fein's burned out, he replaced them with HFs. Sure the blade change sucks, but if you use good quality blades, that's not a big issue. I wear good gloves and good ear pro, but that goes for any OMT. Fein's just aren't $200 better.

My Dremel MultiMax burned out after less than a year (the sliding power switch wore through the microswitch that actually turned it on), and my JobMax is a POS comparatively. The interchangeable heads seem nice, but it's loud, vibrates a lot, and the heads move in use. That's one of the few tools I regret buying, although the 90° drill head was needed for an odd cabinet job.

HF omt arent meant to be used for cutting at an angle other than straight based on their own guidelines, I've done it anyway but it's definitely going to wear the tool out much faster. I never said its 200 better and actually said for a one off closet job it's probably perfect but to say it rivals fein is wrong. I'm sure it gets the job done, eventually. Like why do you have 2 of the same tool?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My mom used to make candles back when handmade candles were a thing. I found her leftover labels (Avery 5163) from then. So I'm printing my own stickers.

The missing bits from the sheet are the BLU logo on the hardhat and "Hacked" on the 'scope. Not shown: L/R markers for my new headphones, and the missing RED logo is on my brown toolbox.

The placement of the "DANGER" labels made to fill out the page are TBD -- lil' nephew (9years old) sometimes uses my tools, so NOPE. (He probably already knows all the cusses, but y'know, my mom/his grandma would yell at me if I stuck those to tools in his sight.)

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Hollandia posted:

Stay with it. The battery system is interchangeable so you wont get trapped into end of life gently caress cycles (Eat my rear end in a top hat bosh)

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If you stick with Ryobi and don't mind spending a bit more for quality tools do keep in mind that Ryobi sells both brushless and non-brushless versions of many things, tools like circular and reciprocating saws it is definitely worth seeking out the brushless ones.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Ended up getting the Ryobi 18v brushless hammer drill driver, I'll see how it goes.
Probably looking at circular & jig saws, orbital sander next.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The palm sander is crap, , don't know about the bigger sheet sander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

cakesmith handyman posted:

The palm sander is crap, , don't know about the bigger sheet sander

All battery powered sanders are crap.