Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

PAX isn't at the computer, it's at the safe, and it's just a failure that loops back to the "give me a sign" choice, the same way JFC does. I'm not sure what specifically leads to it - I had it show up after taking "PAC" the first time and looping back around.
Thank you. Bitchin' avatar.

Grem posted:

There's no real "Oh gently caress...that's the message!" moment, but it's a neat gimmick.
A lof of people have been saying this, and I'm baffled by it. The lesson is, very unsubtly, don't stop taking your meds, even if you know for sure you'll be a better artist because of it. Your mental health is more important than your masterpiece that's spiraling you out of loving control.

And after seeing the opposite in most other pieces of media, I'm elated. gently caress that other narrative.

The only thing I found disappointing about the movie/game is that I lucked into the most narratively interesting (from my perspective) version of the piece on my first go.

I immediately failed by taking the job and then the other dev recognized me and had read Bandersnatch on my second go-round. Creepy. Cool. I no longer know what the rules are. I dumped the tea on my computer, but the piece wouldn't let me end that way. There were no credits. So I'm in control, but only nominally. So the piece started infinate, then actually grew by telling me I'd made the wrong choice by showing me that my second go-around, things would react to the original choices I'd made, but now I was learning there were still limits. I opted to kill myself first, knowing I'd loop back, whereas if I let him kill himself, we may continue on from there. The piece out-thought me again. I got to experience both, and Stefan knew, and was now stuck in therapy. My dev buddy never turned up again so I could never ask him if he remembered. I veered into the conspiracy plot and the actors and time travel and wound up retrieving my rabbit, dying on a train with my mom, and dying in real life in my therapist's office. It was very narratively tight, balancing the cinematic with the gamification of the narrative in an incredibly satisfying way.

Seeing the other endings, including the other most interesting one, where my dev buddy's kid continued my work and we went full meta was fun, but the experience I had my first time through was loving sublime.

And I didn't get to the real moral of the story until I made every "correct" choice, at which point I was like, "yeah. It must be really dull not being crazy."

Also, LOL at everybody saying "boy, that ending was disappointing." There were like fifteen of 'em. Tell us which one you're talking about to begin with, but even besides that, without knowing how you ended up there, we have no idea how to infer why it was disappointing. You went on a completely different journey than we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this was my experience too. I think the problem with this sort of structure is that there's not really much of a way they can ensure that you watch all the various branches in a narratively satisfying order. The ending I got that eventually made it kick me out was the "goes back in time and dies on the train" one, but it wasn't really a natural conclusion to the stuff that had come prior to that. I guess the thing is that you can stop at any point when you feel like you've gotten a "proper" ending but the fact that it keeps giving you the option to go back means you're unlikely to actually do that.

There's ways to guide you to make sure you watch stuff in order, heck the main character is literally writing stories with branching narrative paths and the show touches on how to do them a few times.

It's just a bit weird they didn't take their own advice. This could have had a few satisfying endings, but they all felt more like they were dropping an idea of how it could end and then just fading to black than actually bothering to do it.

To go into detail

It just gives up near the end.

Can Colin actually see into different time lines? Are they actively loving with you? Why do they know so much about the rules of this weird world? Why do they disappear from the timeline when they kill themselves? Lol eat poo poo this is never explained and comes to nothing.
What were those pills about and why did you stop taking them? Well the plot forgot about them the moment you stop taking them and they're never mentioned again.

The time loop where he dies on the train doesn't really make any sense at all. It's creepy for the sake of it.

The Netflix endings imply there is still control of some sort going on, but haven't bothered to explain what or why, so again it's just creepy for the sake of it.

All the other endings have him learning the person watching is controlling them and then it doesn't really do anything with it. There's a few different endings you can force him to take and the game hints that maybe it's going to go into the fact you're exploring paths and dumping him in all these bad timelines but it doesn't bother to do anything with it.

They're all just suggestions of an ending, but then it doesn't bother to actually do it. So they all feel like they just end.

If the ultimate message of this is "It turns out... you were playing a text adventure on Netflix all along!" Then it's just a really lame Meta ending. I'm not against Meta endings, it could have played with it enough to make it interesting with how you're forcing the character down these lovely paths and led to something in the end but this barely even tries to do anything with that idea.

As for "It turns out it was all in his head! You should take your meds folks!" that can just gently caress off.

Fans fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 29, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i suppose "bandersnatch" can be interpreted as a criticism of its own gimmick, with both the game and the movie only ever providing the illusion of choice while being nightmarish to produce (this movie apparently took over 18 months to finish). also like the game, the pay-off of editing together 5+ hours of nonlinear footage is likely to be as fleeting and unsatisfying as the in-show reviews are. the average viewer is unlikely to appreciate the effort that went into the experience but they will notice if a particular path is missing or glitched. the company that funded the venture really only wants to get a product out the door and isn't terribly interested in the final product being cohesive or narratively satisfying.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
This episode did a really good job of explaining the disappointment in finishing a Telltale Games game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fans posted:

As for "It turns out it was all in his head! You should take your meds folks!" it really didn't do a very good job of that. Once you stop taking the pills it never even mentions them again and it's not like things weren't weird before you did.[/spoiler]
Because being on meds isn't a silver bullet and it turns out if you heinously overwork yourself on a piece of art and can't get out of your own head, you'll still start to lose your grip on reality.

I don''t know, man. Maybe it's because I'm a crazy person who creates things, and Charlie Brooker clearly has at least dipped his toe in madness, but it hit incredibly close to home to me.

It's way more interesting to see how deep the rabbit hole goes than to do the work and be more dull.

When you finally find meds that work, people a lot of the time think you've gotten worse, because you're not as fun. And they'll tell you so. It's super hosed up and makes you doubt everything.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I didn't make any choices, and after skimming through the black bars here and googling for the endings, it seems to default through almost every scene and all of the endings. I have no idea how long I was watching it, but it felt like forever and it wasn't a fun experience.

When you don't do anything, it picks a certain choice (not always the left or right side), and it jumps back to older branches once it has replayed the most recent branches. It doesn't change fake choices like the food, music and LSD, or choices that backtrack to endings you've already seen, so I didn't get the full fight scene or the psychologist's secretary not answering the phone.

I wouldn't recommend doing it like that, but know that it'll show you pretty much everything, which is a credit to the way they made it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 29, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LividLiquid posted:

Because being on meds isn't a silver bullet and it turns out if you heinously overwork yourself on a piece of art and can't get out of your own head, you'll still start to lose your grip on reality.

I don''t know, man. Maybe it's because I'm a crazy person who creates things, and Charlie Brooker clearly has at least dipped his toe in madness, but it hit incredibly close to home to me.

It's way more interesting to see how deep the rabbit hole goes than to do the work and be more dull.

When you finally find meds that work, people a lot of the time think you've gotten worse, because you're not as fun. And they'll tell you so. It's super hosed up and makes you doubt everything.

But if that's your take Then you missed that starting to take your meds again is the only way to end this with everyone alive that isn't the Netflix Meta endings or the very first ending where your game bombs. Taking your meds absolutely is a silver bullet in this

Fans fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 29, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

while i could get behind a "take your meds" message, the movie treats taking them as a failed ending both by having stefan's game panned by critics and by immediately shuffling the viewer off to restart. the movie also never discourages the player from playing until completion, which one would expect if that were the intent, and encourages the player to undo stefan's attempts at recovery until they can get a perfect "5/5" score

e: not sure i revealed anything that wasn't obvious from the first few minutes but hiding behind tags

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 29, 2018

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

while i could get behind a "take your meds" message, the movie treats taking them as a failed ending both by having stefan's game panned by critics and by immediately shuffling the viewer off to restart. the movie also never discourages the player from playing until completion, which one would expect if that were the intent, and encourages the player to undo stefan's attempts at recovery until they can get a perfect "5/5" score
the movie discourages the player by showing how it affect's Stefan's mental state and how you effectively drive him into insanity.

the final review portion is essentially one big meta-commentary on how people who play games with multiple choices will do anything to achieve a 'good' ending. so while Stefan made the perfect game, the result was disastrous for his character. that's why all of the safe choices result in low scores because it appeals to our desire to get a perfect score.

almost the entire movie is one large commentary on choices in video games similar to The Stanley Parable.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I thought it was pretty good. It kept my interest all the way through. As a Black Mirror episode, I thought it was below average. The actual story seemed kind of shallow, and I felt like I was waiting for a twist that never came.

The Netflix branch was pretty disappointing to me. I was excited when I saw that option, and thought there was a lot of potential to do something interesting by having that kind of direct communication from the viewer to the main character. But then it just leads to a couple of joke endings. That part was good, but I really wanted them to actually explore the concept.

This exists. There is a variation where he becomes a vessel for the viewer and asks how to behave. It leads to him killing his dad again. It's near the end of the default path (not picking anything) and not in the Netflix branches, but it does happen after you've played out those scenarios.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 29, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

JuHoZ posted:

I wonder if there is software that could nowadays unpack the source code sound screech.

Apparently it can, as it generates a QR code (as shown here) which leads to this website:

https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/

:aaaaa:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fans posted:

But if that's your take Then you missed that starting to take your meds again is the only way to end this with everyone alive that isn't the Netflix Meta endings or the very first ending where your game bombs. Taking your meds absolutely is a silver bullet in this
Not exactly.

He'd already begun to lose his grip on reality. He had his prescription re-upped and ignored all the calls to madness and made choices in line with what you do when you know you're falling in. He started clawing his way out. And yes, I absolutely got that ending, and it's my basis for how boring it was to not follow the bugnuts plot just because it was more entertaining.
You, and everybody who quoted you should spoiler this.
This one gets it. Also a good additional reading.

Now I'm not saying that my message is the only message, either. It just runs counter to the "it's weird to see Black Mirror with no messages" posts, because I could actually see quite a few. One of them could even be absolutely go insane and kill your family if you want to go down in history as a great artist," but I would avoid a person who took that reading from it like I avoid people who misunderstand Fight Club.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Stokes posted:

This episode did a really good job of explaining the disappointment in finishing a Telltale Games game.

Greatly appreciated that I was able to go down (most of) the other branches as a part of the game until I exhausted all of the endings. That cured my anxiety with CYOA games of missing out on my other decisions.

All in all, good fun. But not going to bed with any sense of dread so doesn't feel like Black Mirror.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Greatly appreciated that I was able to go down (most of) the other branches as a part of the game until I exhausted all of the endings. That cured my anxiety with CYOA games of missing out on my other decisions.

All in all, good fun. But not going to bed with any sense of dread so doesn't feel like Black Mirror.
You clearly didn't order a man with no free will to hack up the body of his father and have him ask you please not to, because GAH.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LividLiquid posted:

You clearly didn't order a man with no free will to hack up the body of his father and have him ask you please not to, because GAH.

Son, I've been through 4 seasons of BM, that's child play.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Okay I’m a little confused. I selected gently caress yeah but then I selected ”leap out the window”.

When everything panned out showing the set, I swear she called him “Mike” when she said “that’s not in the script”.

I was like oh that must be the actor’s real name. Then I realized it’s not.
Weird thing is, that’s my name and my account name on Netflix. (Like the little icon you click when you log in). I’m a little freaked out (and a little high).

Did anyone see similar behavior or am I just losing it? I can’t imagine they could do something like that with every name!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Stokes posted:

Honestly this did seem like commentary on choose your own adventure books instead of like social networks or phones or whatever Black Mirror thinks is about to ruin society. It's like this was a product of a screenwriter getting mad at the ending of Fable 3.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

metavisual posted:

Okay I’m a little confused. I selected gently caress yeah but then I selected ”leap out the window”.

When everything panned out showing the set, I swear she called him “Mike” when she said “that’s not in the script”.

I was like oh that must be the actor’s real name. Then I realized it’s not.
Weird thing is, that’s my name and my account name on Netflix. (Like the little icon you click when you log in). I’m a little freaked out (and a little high).

Did anyone see similar behavior or am I just losing it? I can’t imagine they could do something like that with every name!

Don't lose your mind just yet. It always uses that name.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Thank you. It really freaked me out. I feel better now.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I’m most disappointed that this didn’t work on my AppleTV*

what happens if you can remember the number?

*Seriously Netflix? Doesn’t work** on only AppleTV or Chromecast? That’s awfully convenient...

**I watched on my PS4 and it felt pretty legit. :shobon:

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I mean at any point we could have stopped playing and given him control of his life back, but

we didn't

and now we're here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snuffman posted:

what happens if you can remember the number?
I didn't have to remember it, as it was reading it out to me as I was asked for it, so your mileage may vary, but almost nothing different. Stefan calls the therapist, the receptionist answers, he says he knows what's going on, tells her to threaten the therapist, tells her to get hosed, and the story proceeds as you saw it from there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Did anybody post this yet?

https://twitter.com/StuAA/status/1078655818357194752

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

clown shoes posted:

The real choose your own adventure was finding a compatible device along the way.

Can’t watch it on my Apple TV and airplay won’t work with the interactive features so I guess I’m not watching it after all.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That was fun. I genuinely laughed at gently caress YEAH

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I thought this was better than any episode from last series. Almost managed to go into the episode entirely blind except my sister spoiled the gimmick minutes before I turned on the episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In case anybody can't follow the QR code, it's just https://www.tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/history/

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can’t watch it on my Apple TV and airplay won’t work with the interactive features so I guess I’m not watching it after all.

I had these same issues and then some. Airplay does work from a Mac but there's no audio. I downloaded the Netflix app to my new Sony TV and it worked up until the first choice but then it froze and never continued after that. I ended up watching it on my MacBook but I couldn't get into as much as I would have liked.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
There was a BBC documentary made on Imagine software who tried to make Bandersnatch in 1984 until the bailiffs came in to shut everything down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoDh61sgCOg

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thought Bandersnatch was pretty good! I feel like there's really two endings, the traditional "Black Mirror" ending being the one where Pearl is making the show for Netflix, showing that the cycle of madness that develops from trying to create interactive media that offers the illusion of free will and then the "true ending" which is the Donnie Darko/Butterfly Effect ending where the protagonist time travels to the past to kill themselves because that's the only way to escape.

This is backed up by the first ending having the traditional Black Mirror style credits (quick episode aftermath scenes between the main credits) and the second one having even more traditional filmic credits. Bandersnatch is being billed as both a Black Mirror episode and a film, hence the two endings. Plus it's meta commentary on itself, as it's not uncommon for video games to have a "good" ending from a normal playthrough and then a "true" or "perfect" ending, usually gained by a 100% play through--the "true" ending here can't be the first one you get, you have to get at least one bad ending first.

Pretty clever, meta stuff, but there's not really more beyond that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
They put a lot of thought into the psychology of those first few clicks. They give you an express yes/no where a no gives you a "but thou must" then follow it up with a decision (taking the job or not) where saying no is the right answer even if it appears to be another explicit wrong choice which introduces the loop and characters awareness of the loop early. I hope they're keeping data on people's choices but I wouldn't be surprised if they have like a 90% plus rate on people accepting the job on the first run through.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

In case anybody can't follow the QR code, it's just https://www.tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/history/

you can download an actual tape of nohzdyve from there that you can run in a zx spectrum emulator

edit: somehow the nohzdyve pic and related page only appear on mobile

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 29, 2018

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I hope they're keeping data on people's choices but I wouldn't be surprised if they have like a 90% plus rate on people accepting the job on the first run through.

It'd be interesting to see how different paths resulted in different final opinions on the episode. The obvious parallel between different versions of the game having different ratings in different timelines. I know that your mood state, time of day etc all affect your impression of a film but there was a unavoidable chaos variable baked in for this.

Also regarding keeping data I can't help but imagine a far away future where Netflix etc are recording your general viewing preferences and consequently interactive shows are just swinging the plot routes to best match what they think you want. The same way youtube nurtures you into an echo chamber of thumbnails to keep you stuck on a clicking run.

Overall I thought this was a mediocre episode of Black Mirror, but a cool thing nonetheless.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So when's the new series out, or was this a one off?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sirotan posted:

Apparently it can, as it generates a QR code (as shown here) which leads to this website:

https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/

:aaaaa:

That's a nice touch. If you click on the garish banner add at the bottom of that page it takes you to https://rateme.social/

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

So when's the new series out, or was this a one off?

More episodes later this year, apparently. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They put a lot of thought into the psychology of those first few clicks. They give you an express yes/no where a no gives you a "but thou must" then follow it up with a decision (taking the job or not) where saying no is the right answer even if it appears to be another explicit wrong choice which introduces the loop and characters awareness of the loop early. I hope they're keeping data on people's choices but I wouldn't be surprised if they have like a 90% plus rate on people accepting the job on the first run through.

Haha how could you ever not click no??? He's having all of his dreams realized and the first choice the game offers you is potentially squashing them outright.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

When you think about it, that short yes path is the happiest ending. The game gets 0 stars, but nobody dies, he doesn't go crazy, he doesn't need pills, and the company doesn't go out of business.

The lesson is sell out, and the grass is never greener on the other side.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 29, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Haha how could you ever not click no??? He's having all of his dreams realized and the first choice the game offers you is potentially squashing them outright.

I thought that clicking no would end the episode on a happy note because in Black Mirror starting to work in an office is the first step to die/going insane. So naturally I clicked yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This is the most unrealistic episode of Black Mirror yet. I just can't suspend my disbelief enough "I put it into an emulator, Retroarch".... Retroarch is the FRONT END FOR EMULATORS, NOT THE EMULATOR ITSELF!!! Unbelievable.