Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My childhood friend visited from out of state so I finally got to play Smash like the old days and drat was it a great time. Everyone is here. Comparing notes on how old fighters have changed was fun, and picking music before the fights was good as well.

Also I got to use a pro controller for the first time so now I have to get one myself.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s really good. I’m probably in the extreme minority here but I’m enjoying it more than MHW.

Why do you like it more?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

a7m2 posted:

Why do you like it more?

I can’t really explain it but it just clicks for me more gameplay-wise. I like playing as the cats. There’s some more tedium but it doesn’t really bug me. Probably the biggest reason is that it’s on Switch so I have the option of also playing portably. I never had a PSP/Vita and I found the 3DS versions to be too busy for the low resolution so it’s also like my first playable portable MH as well.

My main criticism of the game is no voice chat support. I wish they would patch it in to work with the Nintendo Online app.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

How do I get one of the gamecube controller adapters?

There are plenty of 3rd party GC adapters for the Wii U and/or Switch. They work just as well as the official one and should have plenty of reviews from smash and :filez: people.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it's amazing how many fights you can win in the World of Light just by starting out with a Bom-omb

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oscar Wild posted:

Unfortunately that won't make them a ton of money.

Compromise, make Armoured Souls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

From is busy making actual new Armored Core games, get outta here with that remaster poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Compromise, make Armoured Souls.

gross

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
For anyone on the fence about getting Into the Breach: buy it immediately.

I've logged 40 hours and counting in the last four days, it's an insane value for :10bux: and shockingly addictive.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thunder Bear posted:

For anyone on the fence about getting Into the Breach: buy it immediately.

I've logged 40 hours and counting in the last four days, it's an insane value for :10bux: and shockingly addictive.

Ugh fine, I'll check it out, it's been on enough "Best of 2018" lists

But isn't it like an isometric grid-based strategy game? I really do not gently caress with those

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

enojy posted:

Ugh fine, I'll check it out, it's been on enough "Best of 2018" lists

But isn't it like an isometric grid-based strategy game? I really do not gently caress with those

FWIW it has more in common with chess, or a puzzle game, than the usual isometric strategy games. The gimmick is that you know exactly what the enemy is doing the next round, and you have to spend your turn basically preventing those attacks from succeeding. Maybe some players will try to stay two steps ahead of the enemies but for the most part it's about cleverly positioning your units to mitigate damage from the monsters in single turns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Argue posted:

FWIW it has more in common with chess, or a puzzle game, than the usual isometric strategy games. The gimmick is that you know exactly what the enemy is doing the next round, and you have to spend your turn basically preventing those attacks from succeeding. Maybe some players will try to stay two steps ahead of the enemies but for the most part it's about cleverly positioning your units to mitigate damage from the monsters in single turns.

Yeah, there is almost no RNG at all (there’s a small chance for buildings to ignore damage, but it’s small enough that it’s more a nice bonus when it happens) so you know exactly how your turn is going to go. It’s a lot of fun and very much a low-frustration game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For what it's worth, Into the Breach has been named PC Gamer's Ultimate GOTY for 2018.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ultimate-game-of-the-year-2018-into-the-breach/

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Waffle! posted:

I never find anything in BOTW the way you're "supposed" to. I just dropped in on the Spring of Courage from a mountain top, completely skipping all the mobs by the entrance. I didn't even know it was there. Found the Horse God the same way after getting all the other Great Fairies first.

Playing how you're not supposed to is exactly how you're supposed to play botw

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It also has an easy difficulty that's pretty chill. It feels like a tactical game where they took out the three turn of walking toward each other and three more turns of mopping up. Every level is just the good middle bit of those fights.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The eshop has stopped accepting my debit card for some reason. Is there some kind of transaction limit or something? The card works fine for other stuff.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The eshop has stopped accepting my debit card for some reason. Is there some kind of transaction limit or something? The card works fine for other stuff.

I don't know if this is a thing for you or not, but my Credit Union has blocked all transactions to "Game sites" due to an overwhelming amount of fraud linked to them (their words). Might be worth a call to find out if that's the case?

I just use paypal or another one of my accounts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

rotaryfun posted:

I don't know if this is a thing for you or not, but my Credit Union has blocked all transactions to "Game sites" due to an overwhelming amount of fraud linked to them (their words). Might be worth a call to find out if that's the case?

Yeah, my PayPal account defaults to my bank account when I don't have any funds in my PayPal wallet, so it's essentially the same as an online debit card. What's great is that I get an email whenever anything happens with my PayPal, and I have two factor authentication on it.

All in all, I'm amazed at how convenient the whole process is. And yes, I know why SA generally hates PayPal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah, I should probably just do PayPal. I was worried that my bank locked my card for suspected fraud at first because I’ve made so many eshop transactions that it probably looks like suspicious activity.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

Nintendo should make a new fighting game called "Sword Bitches" and move every fighter that uses a sword in Smash into the new game.

Just release a DLC mode where you have to run through metroidvania levels as sword bitches, Adventure-mode style

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well, the joystick drift on my left joycon is so horrible now. Ordered a handful of replacement joysticks, and also ordered a transparent shell replacement, because what the hell. Then, I also ordered replacement latches, because my left joycon is also super loose.

I also ordered spare joycons, so I'm not screwed if I ruin these, but might as well turn a repair into a slight upgrade, right?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Have you tried contact cleaner spray yet? Now that i use that, when i get drift, i go to the calibration settings for sticks or motion and they work fine again. I've yet to order more joycons, though i need to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The top the the stick on my left joycon bent while I was taking my switch out of its case. I miss when nintendo consoles were indestructible.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Haven't analog sticks always been Nintendo's Achilles heel? The N64 one ground itself to powder. The GameCube one was defective in some way SSBM players actually liked...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bushisms.txt posted:

Have you tried contact cleaner spray yet? Now that i use that, when i get drift, i go to the calibration settings for sticks or motion and they work fine again. I've yet to order more joycons, though i need to.

Yeah, I got some of the WD-40 contact cleaner spray. Between that and compressed air I haven't been able to correct it at all. Watched like a dozen videos to make sure I was doing it right, still nada.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Gonna see how my buy new return broken joycon trick works today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Haven't analog sticks always been Nintendo's Achilles heel? The N64 one ground itself to powder. The GameCube one was defective in some way SSBM players actually liked...

God, yeah; the N64 analog stick was the worst. I don’t have any controllers left with functioning sticks.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The top the the stick on my left joycon bent while I was taking my switch out of its case. I miss when nintendo consoles were indestructible.

the fact that it's possible to lock the joycon in the wrong way is a bit irritating. mostly because i have a second hand switch and the seller pretty obviously did this then damaged the latch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

God, yeah; the N64 analog stick was the worst. I don’t have any controllers left with functioning sticks.

bonus points if you played the original Mario Party

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Generic Monk posted:

the fact that it's possible to lock the joycon in the wrong way is a bit irritating. mostly because i have a second hand switch and the seller pretty obviously did this then damaged the latch

It's always something with Nintendo systems. Don't the ds hinges just give up eventually?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

It's always something with Nintendo systems. Don't the ds hinges just give up eventually?

It was comically easy to crack the hinges on the DS Lite.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's hard to find a well used DS or GBA that has both shoulder buttons working.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The shoulder buttons on my GBA SP were loose as hell from the day I got the drat thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s really good. I’m probably in the extreme minority here but I’m enjoying it more than MHW.

If you're in the minority, so am I. I vastly prefer GU to MHW. It could be because I main the cat, though. MHW doesn't have cat mode and I'm already used to not needing Pickaxes, Bug Nets, and Hot/Cool drinks those aspects of MHW don't mean much to me. Being a human just feels so clunky.

Put Prowler Mode in World and then we'll talk.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Imagined posted:

I still have my original fat DS and everything works a charm on that, thankfully. No fucky shoulder buttons or anything.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Silver Falcon posted:

Put Prowler Mode in World and then we'll talk.

I'm sure it will be, in MHW-G. Sure they could release G rank as a DLC expansion, but that's now how any past Mon Hun has worked. They are going to release a new game with a bunch of older title content added and G rank, you are going to pay a full $60 again. I'd love for it to be a $20-30 expansion though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Imagined posted:

I think a lot of it just has to do with use. All of my old consoles and controllers (minus the N64 controllers that got the Mario Party treatment) are still in perfect shape, but I've always handled them pretty nicely. It's not like they fall apart on their own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

I think a lot of it just has to do with use. All of my old consoles and controllers (minus the N64 controllers that got the Mario Party treatment) are still in perfect shape, but I've always handled them pretty nicely. It's not like they fall apart on their own.

The N64 stick will inevitably break down regardless of how you handle it, nintendo designed it in the dumbest way possible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

pixaal posted:

I'm sure it will be, in MHW-G. Sure they could release G rank as a DLC expansion

Which is literally what Iceborne is. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I hope we get a Direct in January with Animal Crossing news. I just need more Animal Crossing so badly please Nintendo