Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Anyone seen Birdman yet?

We've been seeing it on New Year's Eve. I was mesmerized by the camera and the editing. The entire movie felt as though it was made in one, big, live shot. I know that technically they used every still and dark frame they could find do cut but it's easy to not notice. I absolutely lost myself in the film - with the camera following the people around, and people walking in and out of its view, I had a sense of presence that I've never had in any other movie. Helps that the cast is great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Loved this movie when it first came out.

I still think it's hilarious that almost right after this, Michael Keaton ended up playing an actual birdman in the MCU.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had to check the date on this post before replying. Yeah I'm going to say most of us have seen the 4 year old Oscar winning movie.

I haven't seen it since it was released but it's definitely a good flick.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Birdman is one of the better films of the last few years. Not only is the cinematography extremely on point but the character arc of Birdman is perfection as well. It truly is one of the very few movies I would deem "perfect".

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I’ve been meaning to watch it, and wow, it has been out for 4, going on 5, years! :aaaaa:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like the drums

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All style over substance that forgets it's plot in the second half and lodges it's head so far up it's own rear end by the end that all it can smell are it's oscar bait scented farts.

Good style though and it brought Michael Keaton back to the mainstream so 3 stars.

Nightcrawler was a better movie in every way that year

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 2, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Blazing Ownager posted:

That film is so drat good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

get with the times, man. Birdman is passe. it's all about the Bird Box now

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

get with the times, man. Birdman is passe. it's all about the Bird Box now

Can't wait for the 2020 sensation Boxman

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
2014: Birdman
2015: Birdboy
2016: Angry Birds
2017: Lady Bird
2018: Bird Box
2019: ???

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I remember drums and ed norton trying to bang his ex wife or something

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Almost Blue posted:

Angry Birds 2: Avian Assault

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

2019: Bird Bird.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

2019: Bird Bird.

Directed by Brad Bird

Brad Bird's "Bird Bird"

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i loved it, and to this day occasionally in difficult moments in my life will think of the protagonist and his bizarre yet somehow completely understandable struggle to exist

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just wish there were more movies like Birdman because I can't watch it again.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
2019: Spies in Disguise

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

All style over substance that forgets it's plot in the second half and lodges it's head so far up it's own rear end by the end that all it can smell are it's oscar bait scented farts.

Good style though and it brought Michael Keaton back to the mainstream so 3 stars.

Amen on all counts.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I just wish there were more movies like Birdman because I can't watch it again.

What stuff do you want more of? If you're talking about the cinematography there's been a few movies done in one take: Russian Ark and Victoria off the top of my head.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

TrixRabbi posted:

What stuff do you want more of? If you're talking about the cinematography there's been a few movies done in one take: Russian Ark and Victoria off the top of my head.

Hardcore Henry attempts to do it as well, though you can definitely tell where the cuts are if you pay attention

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions, I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the snappiness of the dialog and quick pace as oppose to the long cuts. Although long cuts can definitely be an element of this. Like the opening pan of Ricks, hell the entire Casablanca. Gilmore Girls lol.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone seen Birdman yet?

We've been seeing it on New Year's Eve. I was mesmerized by the camera and the editing. The entire movie felt as though it was made in one, big, live shot. I know that technically they used every still and dark frame they could find do cut but it's easy to not notice. I absolutely lost myself in the film - with the camera following the people around, and people walking in and out of its view, I had a sense of presence that I've never had in any other movie. Helps that the cast is great, too.

I'm amazed at your passion for Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, OP

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Hardcore Henry attempts to do it as well, though you can definitely tell where the cuts are if you pay attention

You can catch the cuts in Birdman too. Russian Ark and Victoria both did it for real, though I'd argue that's just bragging rights versus the actual effect the unbroken flow -- faked or not -- has on the film's emotional resonance.

Hitchcock's Rope did it in 1948 when the pre-digital period made it literally impossible. He used some creative masking to hide the cuts in order to create a seamless flow, though it also uses a single setting in order to achieve a more live theater vibe.

Also, it's not one seamless take, but Mikhail Kalatozov's work is visually *stunning* and uses extensive long takes that make you question how the hell he possibly achieved them (a lot of pullies and wires is the answer). Soy Cuba in particular, but The Cranes Are Flying is equally phenomenal.

Lampsacus posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the snappiness of the dialog and quick pace as oppose to the long cuts. Although long cuts can definitely be an element of this. Like the opening pan of Ricks, hell the entire Casablanca. Gilmore Girls lol.

Have you heard of this guy Quentin Tarantino?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 13, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Almost Blue posted:

Birdemic 3.

TrixRabbi posted:

You can catch the cuts in Birdman too. Russian Ark and Victoria both did it for real, though I'd argue that's just bragging rights versus the actual effect the unbroken flow -- faked or not -- has on the film's emotional resonance.

Hitchcock's Rope did it in 1948 when the pre-digital period made it literally impossible. He used some creative masking to hide the cuts in order to create a seamless flow, though it also uses a single setting in order to achieve a more live theater vibe.

Also, it's not one seamless take, but Mikhail Kalatozov's work is visually *stunning* and uses extensive long takes that make you question how the hell he possibly achieved them (a lot of pullies and wires is the answer). Soy Cuba in particular, but The Cranes Are Flying is equally phenomenal.

Have you heard of this guy Quentin Tarantino?

My favorite long take is the one in Children of Men where they're running through the slums during that huge battle. There's a scene earlier in the movie that uses a bit of trickery to appear seamless too. The Protector with Tony Jaa has a really cool single take scene as well which is just kind of forgotten about. The scene is him fighting his way to the top of this building via a staircase and a series of landings that wrap around a big room. It's just really cool and if you enjoy expertly executed fight choreography it's a must see. The fight scenes in the movie in general are good but that one scene is very impressive.

edit: That one episode of True Detective (season one) is worth mentioning as well. I'm sure you could see that scene by itself on youtube or something if you don't want to invest the time into watching the whole season.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 14, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is this the PYF long takes thread now? Because if so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAtcI_t-Z8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lampsacus posted:

Breathless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is this the PYF long takes thread now? Because if so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAtcI_t-Z8

https://youtu.be/3bozxgVQ9m0

Almost Blue posted:

Bird on a Wire remake?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iL1K_l8Jyo

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Almost Blue posted:

A remake of Bird the Charlie "Bird" Parker biopic

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie gave me hope that Inarritu will someday make the ultimate Big Bird biopic.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

the drum score should have been nominated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I like that part where the trailer makes it look like a completely different kind of movie.