Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Drake_263 posted:

I think one of the issues there is that crackable asteroids are semipersistent. People head for all the pristine rings, mine out all the easily found (close to the hot spot) rocks, and leave the 'bad' rings you've been snooping through untouched.

I've never actually found a pristine ring, spent my entire Void Opal goldrush career in depleted rings. I just expected depleted rings to be depleted, like completely void of crackable asteroids and resources, but i guess that would be kinda lovely gameplay.

Man, wonder what a pristine void opal pulse scan looks like then, hope i find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I drunkenly bought a beluga last night and the first time I tried to take it out of the slot I got fined because someone had to smash their krait past me. I'm a chungus okay I'm not as manoeuvrable as you please be patient.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

I made my first visit to one of those nice stations that has all parks and greenery on the inside, and there was a simple courier job available for Colonia, 22k ly away... :stare:

Was it LP 131-66? I like to hang out there because the one station in the system is close to the jump-in point and has every service minus material and tech traders.

Though the missions out to Colonia that i saw there were more lucrative than that

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
CD-58 4207. No idea where that is in comparison to anything else. I spend most of my time around there. Lots of short trips and high grade emission systems with high security.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I drunkenly bought a beluga last night and the first time I tried to take it out of the slot I got fined because someone had to smash their krait past me. I'm a chungus okay I'm not as manoeuvrable as you please be patient.

I have never undocked my cutter without catching a fine, but on the other hand my 3000 ton warship should probably have the right of way

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I never hit anything when docking. I'm known as the dockmaster, all the guys used to call me that for strictly E:D reasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kraftwerk posted:

So I spoke to soon. There's pirates in Stopover now. It's so easy to get out of an NPC interdiction but it seems if a player interdicts you there's no way out of it and they can just continue to re-interdict you even if you escape... Doesn't seem fair.
Lost 14 void opals to this rear end in a top hat.

Always have an escape. If a player is interdicting you, submit and target another system, then jump to it. You'll lose time, sure, but not money

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

iospace posted:

Always have an escape. If a player is interdicting you, submit and target another system, then jump to it. You'll lose time, sure, but not money

I've only been interdicted by NPCs, how hard is it to tell if it's another player?

Also, how do you submit to the interdiction?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I only play solo but NPCs tend to trash talk you when they interdict you, and when you escape they disappear instead of trying again. So I guess if it keeps happening it's a human doing it.

If you want to submit, just throttle down to 0.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

iospace posted:

IS there a way to feasibly defeat the other player or at least hold him off until security arrives to dispatch him?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm a baby and play offline whenever I do vulnerable stuff like mining, highly recommend

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I went to 3 different non-pristine rings, two good and one depleted, and didn't find a single void opal or low temp diamond Hotspot.

Went to 3 different pristine rings and found at least one of each, usually 2.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Friendly Fire posted:

I've only been interdicted by NPCs, how hard is it to tell if it's another player?

If you can avoid interdiction it's an NPC, but also the NPCs will send you text messages like "You're the one I'm looking for, the one with the juicy cargo" and such.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Graphic posted:

If you can avoid interdiction it's an NPC, but also the NPCs will send you text messages like "You're the one I'm looking for, the one with the juicy cargo" and such.

The guy dropped me some sort of pro-forma generic pirate statement like "Arr this is a robbery drop your cargo".
And then I thought if I could boost out and return to supercruise that he'd leave me alone. Turns out he can just keep interdicting you over and over with no cooldown. Seems kinda lame.

Because of him I upgraded to a Krait MkII and rigged it with 3 fixed large cannons (or medium I forget what size it is). I also set up a chaff launcher and point defense and I have Class A shields.
If he tries it again I'm gonna wreck him.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

The guy dropped me some sort of pro-forma generic pirate statement like "Arr this is a robbery drop your cargo".
And then I thought if I could boost out and return to supercruise that he'd leave me alone. Turns out he can just keep interdicting you over and over with no cooldown. Seems kinda lame.

Because of him I upgraded to a Krait MkII and rigged it with 3 fixed large cannons (or medium I forget what size it is). I also set up a chaff launcher and point defense and I have Class A shields.
If he tries it again I'm gonna wreck him.

That’s the spirit! what were you in before? An Asp?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yesterday, following the trail of an engineer, I arrived in Xihe (Hello, Diamond Frogs!) and bought 20 tons of robot dogs from Zhen Dock. Since I need 25 to unlock the engineer, I decided to wait around for a restock. It hasn't happened yet. I didn't particularly want to risk the cargo I had by taking it out on missions, but I really wanted to actually play this game, not something else. So I took some of my 17 million bucks, bought an Asp Explorer, and kitted it out for mining. I spent roughly 10 or 12 million on it all told. Coriolis says 15 million, and also that I'm underpowered, but it's wrong, my power usage is comfy and my resale value is 12 million. Also, I could have saved money with fixed guns, but maybe I want to hire on a multicrew dude sometime.

Xihe 1 is a ringed brown dwarf, so I dove on in. The inner, metallic ring lit up with a dozen hotspots, but half of them were literally hot, so close to the body that I was running 95% heat before I even got into the ring. I opted for a further-out hotspot that said platinum. 2 hours and four rocks later, I arrive back at Zhen Dock with 14 platinum, 56 monazite, and a handful of silver and gold. My bank balance now sits at 22 million.

I did technically risk my cargo by jumping into a ring with the requisite pirate spawn, but there were cops there too and he jumped out real quick. I was even ready to fight him, too, though my lasers wouldn't fire for some reason. I still don't know what those turret targeting options do.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I just got an efficiency scan mapping a planet on my deceleration to land at an outpost. That was awesome.

Also I finally found my first Void Opals and got 80mil to continue my Type-10 build. This iteration has all Multicannon Turrets.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 2, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If anyone is far braver than me there is a common tier Void Opal hotspot in LP 458-64, the system has a Neutron star (the star with long arms or something) so you can charge up and jump with your load pretty fast to whereever. I react tp seeing Neutron stars like i do to seeing the Reaver Leviathan in Subnautica, so i screamed like a girl and got out of there. I should never have watched that youtube about Neutron stars in this game :negative:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's probably for the better but I was a little sad that you're not really in any danger from black holes and neutron stars

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
LP 458-64 is a white dwarf which is like a neutron star except worse because you run the same risks boosting your jump off of it but you only get 25 or 50% extra jump range out of it instead of the 300% you get off a neutron star, plus the arms feel like they're shorter so there's a much higher chance of dying stupidly. That said, they're the fastest way to get around the bubble, so :shrug:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kraftwerk posted:

Turns out he can just keep interdicting you over and over with no cooldown. Seems kinda lame.
If you submit or lose the interdiction minigame then the pirate will have the same fsd cooldown as you do and be able to follow you back into supercruise and try again. This happens with NPCs too. If you win the interdiction minigame however, you stay in supercruise but your attacker will drop and thier fsd will have the long safety cooldown.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So trying to win the minigame would be the best choice for escaping from players.

I had thought NPCs despawn if you evade them, but you can't see contacts in normal space when you're supercruising right? So if they just drop to normal space it's a good idea to not stick around.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lol no NPCs don't despawn if you evade their interdiction. They do suffer a cool down, but they'll be back if you haven't made it to your destination.

I got chain interdicted by 3-4 NPCs constantly while running missions in Sothis/Ceos.

I thought that if you submitted, your FSD cool down was short, while the Interdictor's was long?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's why stacking a bunch of missions with hostiles is a bad idea unless you are fitted out to take down the people coming after you.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I usually evaded them, and when I wasn't able to, my Anaconda could fight them off until they died or until the cops distracted them enough for me to escape :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Trip report for today.

Void Opal hotspots in pristine rings definitely have much more crackable asteroids than depleted rings do.
Pristine rings are easy to find the further you move away from the center of the populated bubble.
Mamba loving rocks, but i need it to be faster. Gonna dirty drive it once i stop uncle Scrooging long enough to start unlocking the engineers i'm missing. Aaaaany day now :homebrew:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So, while I wait to hear back on a ticket I put in after that BS pirate encounter, I'm taking some time to plan my next few moves. With that in mind, can anyone point me towards a good clump of Imperial controlled systems to hang around for a while? One of my eventual goals is to get a Cutter, so I'd like to find a good spot to start working towards that while I build up my cashpile.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only have a Clipper on my imperial alt, but I just toodled around in the systems near Achenar...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I only have a Clipper on my imperial alt, but I just toodled around in the systems near Achenar...

You have an alt?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Does anyone fight with fixed multicannons? What are some optimal loadouts?
A bunch of NPCs tried to fight me when I logged back in. I forgot that it resets the instance so I tried to fight and saw my fancy type A shields die prety fast to 3 people beam lasering me.

How does chaff and point defense work? Do you have to assign it to a weapon group like other stuff?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Kraftwerk posted:

Does anyone fight with fixed multicannons? What are some optimal loadouts?
A bunch of NPCs tried to fight me when I logged back in. I forgot that it resets the instance so I tried to fight and saw my fancy type A shields die prety fast to 3 people beam lasering me.

How does chaff and point defense work? Do you have to assign it to a weapon group like other stuff?

Chaff has its own little hotkey bindable in config. I actually don't know if it can be assigned to a weapon group. But regardless, you activate it and it makes gimballed and, I assume, turreted weapons become unable to lock onto you for a few seconds. Note that it doesn't flat out prevent damage: as the weapons target sights swing around wildly, if they are still firing as they pass across you you will still get hit. This also means chaff is somewhat less effective at close range.

Point defense is a turreted module, meaning you don't have to activate it. It will automatically attempt to shoot down incoming missiles. I dunno what the difference between missiles and torpedoes is, so I don't know if it covers the latter.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Point defense shoots at missiles, torpedoes, mines, and hatch breaker limpets within line of sight of the turrets. Torpedoes have a ton of hit points though so its hard to shoot them down in time, even with multiple turrets

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
How exactly do ammo weapons work if you have no cargo space? Do you just have the one magazine and then you're out?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kitfox88 posted:

How exactly do ammo weapons work if you have no cargo space? Do you just have the one magazine and then you're out?

You can craft more using materials, which don't take up cargo space and have their own inventory that follows you around

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

Ammo is stored in hammerspace and doesn't take up cargo capacity. If you've got a weapon on a hardpoint, you'll always have the same amount of ammo for it regardless of your internal loadout.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Ammo is stored in hammerspace and doesn't take up cargo capacity. If you've got a weapon on a hardpoint, you'll always have the same amount of ammo for it regardless of your internal loadout.

I go with it's stored internally within the weapon. :shrug:

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I go with it's stored internally within the weapon. :shrug:

I mean I sort of assume that the hardpoint encompasses more than just the gun and there are mechanisms beneath that reload it and unjam it when it malfunctions or whatever.

But what I meant was that in practical terms it doesn't matter because it doesn't take up cargo space; E:D and Eve share a lot of the same player base and, for people like myself who came over from the latter, it's worth knowing that you don't have to make room for each individual torpedo and multicannon round in your hold.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

But what I meant was that in practical terms it doesn't matter because it doesn't take up cargo space; E:D and Eve share a lot of the same player base and, for people like myself who came over from the latter, it's worth knowing that you don't have to make room for each individual torpedo and multicannon round in your hold.

I wish we had a drone(limpet) bay like in Eve so we didn't have to waste cargo space on them.

Pros and cons I guess.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Friendly Fire posted:

I wish we had a drone(limpet) bay like in Eve so we didn't have to waste cargo space on them.

Pros and cons I guess.

Limpets are cheap, void opals are not. I have no issues loading extras only to jettison them as my cargo bay fills up. I was actually really lucky in that my last shipment netted me exactly 72 void opals and 11 alexandrite while exhausting my limpet complement at the same time.

You guys have created a monster. I can't stop core mining. It's like the game became an asteroid mining sim for me. I don't think any amount of money will ever be enough to make me stop this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
I just get sick of managing Limpets I guess. It's a minor annoyance really but it would be nice if they resupplied along with your ammo and mining charges with one click rather than having to load a separate screen and manually change the number to fill them back up.

Let me set a default amount to resupply to or something, I dunno...