Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evo psych is a joke field anyway [even among psychologists] since it's by nature entirely untestable; it's p much just old white guy opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Tesla is starting out 2019 in the red following news it missed Wall Street’s delivery estimates. The company said in a letter to investors that it delivered 90,700 vehicles during the fourth quarter. That’s a bit shy of what analysts expected. This, in part, caused the company’s stock to open nearly 8 percent down on the day.

Tesla stock price is down 10 percent as of publication.

The company also announced before the bell that it is cutting $2,000 off the price of a Model S, Model X and Model 3. This is likely in response to the sunsetting of the $7,500 federal tax credit that helped offset the price of Tesla’s vehicles. Starting on January 1, that tax credit is now worth only $3,750.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so did anything come from elon straight up admitting that his 'funding secured' tweet was to save the company from imminent death or is that another one i can toss into the 2018 :matters: poo poo-pile?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wolrah posted:

Aside from the ease of swapping to winter tires already noted, most vehicles these days come with larger wheels than they really need to have for styling reasons. Having dedicated winter wheels allows you to "minus size" and gain more sidewall which is a very good thing on potholed roads.

Living just outside the Cleveland "snow belt" I consider a set of winter tires on the smallest steelies I can fit to be a mandatory purchase for every vehicle I buy.

They're also generally narrower which helps it punch through snow/ice to get good grip instead of floating and losing traction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

so did anything come from elon straight up admitting that his 'funding secured' tweet was to save the company from imminent death or is that another one i can toss into the 2018 :matters: poo poo-pile?

isn't that why he had to not be chairman anymore?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For your entertainment:

https://www.postandcourier.com/opin...fc5de09ff5.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

the SEC was going to charge Muskie with securities fraud but he finally settled with a big fine and losing chairman of the board position while keeping ceo. also appointing 2 new board positions (one of which went to Larry Ellison lol)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mewse posted:

the SEC was going to charge Muskie with securities fraud but he finally settled with a big fine and losing chairman of the board position while keeping ceo. also appointing 2 new board positions (one of which went to Larry Ellison lol)

the SEC wants things done by the book and thats like the one thing Larry Ellison knows how to do: ripping you off and staying just on the right side of the law

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

isn't that why he had to not be chairman anymore?

no that was the slap on the wrist punishment

the suit he should be facing should be from the shorters who now know by his own admission that they were correct / tesla was days away from going completely bust. instead the damages were assumed to be just some slight market movements and only worth a few million in damages

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
has Elon musk ever been deposed? I can’t imagine handling a lawyer’s questioning as badly as he does twitter criticism, but he might!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

no that was the slap on the wrist punishment

the suit he should be facing should be from the shorters who now know by his own admission that they were correct / tesla was days away from going completely bust. instead the damages were assumed to be just some slight market movements and only worth a few million in damages

minority shareholder lawsuits usually fail now and I'd guess most of the big shorters are still fairly confident their bet will work out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qirex posted:

evo psych is a joke field anyway [even among psychologists] since it's by nature entirely untestable; it's p much just old white guy opinions

I honestly don't understand why anyone gives it any credence at all. it's creative writing masquerading as a science

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

indigi posted:

I honestly don't understand why anyone gives it any credence at all. it's creative writing masquerading as a science
are you suggesting that "women like the color pink because their eyes evolved to notice and prize berries when they were the gatherer half of hunter-gatherer civilizations" isn't a rock-solid unassailable scientific fact?

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 2, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

are you suggesting that "women like the color pink because their eyes evolved to notice and prize berries when they were the gatherer half of hunter-gatherer civilizations" isn't a rock-solid unassailable scientific face?
Is that a real evolutionary psychology claim? It's pretty weird considering that pink was considered a manly color in the recent past.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah :biotruths:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

Is that a real evolutionary psychology claim? It's pretty weird considering that pink was considered a manly color in the recent past.
its why the "biotruths" thread tag on these here forums has glowing pink berries in the background (e: see above; thanks hph)

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 2, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mystes posted:

why would an evolutionary psychologist know anything at all about recorded history. those are just details

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qirex posted:

it's totally testable:

mystes posted:

test failed

new hypothesis: pink is the manly color of meat and the switch to viewing it as a girl color reflects modern feminism corrupting traditional gender roles

i can prove it experimentally, just give me 60 years, 500 healthy babies, and the funds to build and work the skinner boxes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while the criticisms here have a lot of weight they could be (mis)applied to a lot of social sciences, and it turns out that a lot of stuff (about humans, society, the overall direction of same) aren't really amenable to the pure scientific method, so making some room to argue about this stuff is worthwhile

the usual biotruths are right out of course. still, a lot of psychology is really borderline but we have few options other than to keep guessing and arguing about it

in 2019 this has to be taken against the background of making sure outright fascists and/or 300 year old academics don't get a whole lot of say granted, making this doubly complicated, but no less important

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in psychology you can at least design some kind of test for your hypothesis, even if [as is often the case] your assumptions, criteria or conclusions are bullshit at least you defined an experiment and ran it and collected data

so much of eco psych is so clearly based on western cultural stereotypes that it doesn’t even hold up to cursory examination [e.g. pink was a manly color until fairly recently]

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
theories of human evolution are only testable using ancient evidence
theories of human psychology are extremely hard to ethically test on living subjects and impossible to properly examine in ancient subjects

trying to combine the two is dumb

but it is true that you want to be careful how you argue it bc YECs love to say that "evolution isn't testable" bc you can't witness it in real time in a lab*

*biologists have driven bacterial evolution via selection pressures in the lab, but it doesn't count to a YEC unless you can turn a monkey into a modern human

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hahahahahaha

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I want that image in this video format with salsa music and I refuse to put any effort in to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FMguru posted:

are you suggesting that "women like the color pink because their eyes evolved to notice and prize berries when they were the gatherer half of hunter-gatherer civilizations" isn't a rock-solid unassailable scientific fact?

"Our bodies evolved this way because it was advantageous in evolution, which led to us evolve this way"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i lust for tesla's death

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lord Stimperor posted:

"Our bodies evolved this way because it was advantageous in evolution, which led to us evolve this way"

isn't it more like "organisms with trait <x> survive long enough to reproduce"?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

thick thighs

thin hair

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I want that image in this video format with salsa music and I refuse to put any effort in to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI

here i got you half way there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

THANK u g-d bless

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

aardvaard posted:

here i got you half way there

got a good reason
for takin' the tunnel route out

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

imagine getting paid to pull stupid just-so stories out of your rear end, that's evo-psych

elon musk is also paid to pull stupid bullshit out of his rear end in addition to being a lame dad

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

theories of human evolution are only testable using ancient evidence
theories of human psychology are extremely hard to ethically test on living subjects and impossible to properly examine in ancient subjects

trying to combine the two is dumb

but it is true that you want to be careful how you argue it bc YECs love to say that "evolution isn't testable" bc you can't witness it in real time in a lab*

*biologists have driven bacterial evolution via selection pressures in the lab, but it doesn't count to a YEC unless you can turn a monkey into a modern human

evopsych boils down to asserting that Western cultural preferences and social cues are actually biologically ingrained in human beings by thousands of years of natural selection determining them to be the most optimal possible preferences

like, sure, the human brain has probably been influenced by evolutionary pressures to some degree, that much is obvious. but evopsych folks often don't stop there - they go on to claim poo poo like "women experience jealousy in a fundamentally different way from men because the social implications of uteruses caused their brains to evolve emotions differently" or "men are genetically hardwired to be attracted to skinny young women, while women don't care about appearance but are biologically compelled to desire high-status men"

it's a bullshit factory. they just take their weird racist and misogynistic fears and fantasies, hypothesize that they're the result of cavemen being beep-boop social robots a hundred thousand years ago, and then give a personality test to fifty white American college students to prove that these personality traits are universal

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my MIL is always saying evopsych-style bullshit like "the maternal grandmother always cares the most of anyone for the grandchildren bc it's their only chance to carry on their genes" (completely coincidentally she is the maternal grandmother to our kids, go figure!)

mystes
May 31, 2006

my MIL is always saying evopsych-style bullshit like "the maternal grandmother always cares the most of anyone for the grandchildren bc it's their only chance to carry on their genes" (completely coincidentally she is the maternal grandmother to our kids, go figure!)
Can evopsych explain why people tend to use evopsych to justify their existing preconceptions?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

Can evopsych explain why people tend to use evopsych to justify their existing preconceptions?

cavemen who dwelt on the impact of their preconceptions were killed by less empathetic cavemen who were able to seamlessly justify their awful opinions after the fact

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
testable evopsych hypothesis: men with low quality sperm are more attentive fathers; optimal parenting is achieved via post-fertilization castration

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

how do paternal grandmothers pass on their genes? spores?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the talent deficit posted:

that's what old lady smell is yeah

they put it off like zorak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

it’s true for sex chromosomes I guess