Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
xandracortez was the handle i went by on an old shadowrun MUD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Addamere posted:

oh yeah, "Ted" from Rafael makes no goddamn sense

though it does inspire me to make up silly nicknames for the other ninja turtles

Michelangelo always struck me as more of a "Steve", for example

Ed -> Ted cmon

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Addamere posted:

please feel free to screengrab some excerpts cos im not giving @jack any clicks

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

2,019 is giving me those Wolfenstein The New Colossus vibes where it's like, the first one was a little much, but this follow up is a lot much

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Reality Winter posted:

Dude's 28 lmao

right wing ideology physically deforms your visage

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zyla posted:

english people love soundalikes as nicknames

jimmy comes from jam jim jam = jimmy

dick = richard -> rick -> dick

Chuck = Cha from charles + uck as a common diminutive ender

Alex (sand) dria -> Sandy

my favorite one is Margaret to peggy

Margaret -> Marge -> Meg -> Peg -> Peggy

I am learning things today. At this rate I shall become an enlightened philosopher king within minutes, and the universe shall become obsolete.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Addamere posted:

though it does inspire me to make up silly nicknames for the other ninja turtles

well it's Ted from Edward, but still

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Addamere posted:

Leonardo needs a name as lame as he is

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

the death cries dems!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
gently caress i just realized trump is praising the wheel because barron is getting into planescape

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bearjew posted:

remember piss

Sorry I only remember sailor

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Ted is short for tedward

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Edward is also short for tedward

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Addamere posted:

I am learning things today. At this rate I shall become an enlightened philosopher king within minutes, and the universe shall become obsolete.

:eng101:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Leonardo needs a name as lame as he is

One of those given names that sound like surnames, like Prescott or Rutherford

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

jealous of nickname havers,e veryone just calls me Fart

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ale[harsh cat sound]andria

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

sandoz posted:

jealous of nickname havers,e veryone just calls me Fart

Your new nickname is Turdloser McDon'tReadMyPosts. Happy New Year Turd

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Imagine having downs and being the LEAST retarded Palin.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

2,019 is giving me those Wolfenstein The New Colossus vibes where it's like, the first one was a little much, but this follow up is a lot much

:yeshaha:

one of us is going to get decapitated and put on a robot ubermensch body

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/DataProgress/status/1080571837485117445

lmao

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Addamere posted:

I don't get how you arrive at "Sandy" from Alexandria, but also I am an idiot moron arguably using the Internet

Alexandra -> Sandra -> Sandy

also

Alexander -> Xander -> Sander -> Sandy

Replacing the X with an S happened in a few European countries in particular (I know Sander is a common name in the Netherlands), but people move around a lot more now so everything gets more mixed up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

ale[harsh cat sound]andria

Meow is not a harsh sound

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea growing up like AOC is actually a pretty drat good way to see that disparity first hand. I had a similar situation, parents making a decent living and we were not financially stressed on a daily basis, but certainly not private prep school money so I went to public school and had friends who were both much better off than we were and also some who were really struggling. You could go to a party in a certain neighborhood and it felt like you were partying in a literal palace, then drive ten minutes to another neighborhood and it's borderline trailerpark territory and partying in somebody's unfinished basement.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

angerbeet posted:

ah, my chequebook, I will put it in what is no doubt a safe place I will remember, using it only once a month

*is liberal, triggered by own actions*

don't they have a website you can pay with?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Alexandria Hook

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea growing up like AOC is actually a pretty drat good way to see that disparity first hand. I had a similar situation, parents making a decent living and we were not financially stressed on a daily basis, but certainly not private prep school money so I went to public school and had friends who were both much better off than we were and also some who were really struggling. You could go to a party in a certain neighborhood and it felt like you were partying in a literal palace, then drive ten minutes to another neighborhood and it's borderline trailerpark territory and partying in somebody's unfinished basement.

once i went to this party in maryland that a friend brought me to where half the dudes there were literally wearing ascots and monocles. They all loving hated me at the end of the night because i would go up to them and try to talk to them

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

that describes my experiences too. I live like ten minutes away from Biden's gently caress-mansion, and five minutes away from the slums of the Murder Capital of the United States. this is obviously a broken system.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it pisses me off because i look at AOC and i KNOW i should be hooting and hollering and going "take it offfff!" but i can't get over some bullshit instinct to respect her for her ideas and strength of character

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Reality Winter posted:

Ted is short for tedward

it's his code name from the Cuban intelligence service :ohdear:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Bill from William has always confounded me

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that like 400 years ago there was an English fad for nicknames that whimsically changed a first letter of a previously existing nickname, and so nicknames like Will -> Bill and Rick -> Dick are left over from that, and it's why the many nicknames for Margaret include not just Meg and Molly but Peg and Polly, etc

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if you be my bodyguard i can be your long lost pal
i can call you eddie, and eddie when you call me you can call me sandy

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Sassy Sandy Cortez

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

That DICK! posted:

it pisses me off because i look at AOC and i KNOW i should be hooting and hollering and going "take it offfff!" but i can't get over some bullshit instinct to respect her for her ideas and strength of character

goon confused at internalized respect for woman

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bearjew posted:

Into the Spiderverse is really good

the most unbelievable part is that a rich white guy doesnt have money as his top priority

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Deceptive Thinker posted:

seriously, I grew up less-well-off in an affluent town, do drat well for myself, and I still resent the people I went to high school now living in million dollar houses that their parents bought for them when they graduated college.

i know one that's been handed three houses: one during school and then two three after graduation thanks to moving for new jobs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I need a whimsical nickname

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:same: the fact the people find cross class social interaction hard to believe is hosed up in its own right

tirmp

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I need a whimsical nickname

"Dumbass"