Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mine got strangely intense when talking about how the field shovel is a weapon. Of course, with the WW2 vintage steel shovels we used, that was very true - but I wonder what experience made it so important to him.

(Mine was marked U.S. AMES 1942 - genuine war surplus, and in fine shape sixty years later. We used two of them to break open padlocks when people lost their keys. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Forgotten Weapons is an awesome channel. Go look up his video on the Gyrojet. He found not one, but two that the owner was willing to let him fire.
Surprisingly NOT a mechanical failure.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Computer viking posted:

(Mine was marked U.S. AMES 1942 - genuine war surplus, and in fine shape sixty years later. We used two of them to break open padlocks when people lost their keys. )

:mil101::respek::mil101:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

otaku69 posted:

this is some copy pasta
460S/W<--454 casul<--45longcolt<--45 coltgovt

44 magnum<--44 special<--44 russian

357 maximum<--357 magnum<--38 special<--38 long colt<--38 short colt

10mm<--40S&W

327 mag<--32 H&R mag<--32 S&W long<--32 S&W short

this is of course most applicable to revolvers and single shots like the TC Encore/contender etc.
and there is this thing
https://lockedback.com/m47-medusa-revolver-shoot-100-cartridges-1-handgun/

Reminds me of this special piece of poo poo that manages to be terrible at everything.

I think it weighs more than an AR15 as well, but hey you can totally shoot six different calibers you've scavenged because the real apocalypse is gonna be like a fallout game where you find 5 rounds of every caliber just sitting in every desk or box you come across.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's incredible, so if you only find 22lr you can only load a single barrel?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What caliber is the "barrel extension/flash suppressor"? That poster required quite a bit of staring at to comprehend the full stupidity.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
This too will fire all kinds of calibers, aiming gets better with your unarmed stats.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slim Pickens posted:

Reminds me of this special piece of poo poo that manages to be terrible at everything.

I think it weighs more than an AR15 as well, but hey you can totally shoot six different calibers you've scavenged because the real apocalypse is gonna be like a fallout game where you find 5 rounds of every caliber just sitting in every desk or box you come across.

He was ATC in the Air Force.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Saukkis posted:

What caliber is the "barrel extension/flash suppressor"? That poster required quite a bit of staring at to comprehend the full stupidity.

Has to be at least .451, which means that every other round will basically tumble/keyhole through that piece of poo poo.

E: I have yet to meet a single AF ATC guy that wasn't a horrible biomechanical and mental failure, so that fits this thread, too. :v:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Naturally Selected posted:

Has to be at least .451, which means that every other round will basically tumble/keyhole through that piece of poo poo.

E: I have yet to meet a single AF ATC guy that wasn't a horrible biomechanical and mental failure, so that fits this thread, too. :v:

Would you say that they are angry-vapists?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I keep thinking "what is wrong with air traffic controllers?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Queen Combat posted:

It doesn't really give you credibility in the "firearms/survivalist/prepper" department.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Queen Combat posted:

Extremely high-stress job for dick-all money and without the benefits/rules/regulations that the unionized civilian side gets?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Would you say that they are angry-vapists?

Hurr hurrr mr liquid boner.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

Honestly, you'd probably be better off with a simple break action 12ga and a bag full of these:

https://www.gunadapters.com/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Honestly, you'd probably be better off with a simple break action 12ga and a bag full of these:

A buddy of mine has an OU Stoeger 12 gauge with a 20" barrel and a pair of 8" .22lr adaptors for it. First gun my wife ever fired - we got it out a few years back, and she was a bit intimidated about the size to start with but when she fired it and the recoil was [FILE NOT FOUND] she had a great time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is the point of the barrel on that thing? Needed to keep it legal?

I would say “make it a pepperbox”, but that would be ungodly heavy.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Yup. A 7 inch barrel would make it an SBR and that's a whole nother can of worms. They could ditch the stock and make it a pistol but that would... somehow make it even more worthless/hilarious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What is the point of this? The "FQA" page on that site doesn't really say why they make them. Is this for zombie preppers or something? I can't think of a reason why a normal person would want to shoot pistol rounds out of a shotgun. In order for these to be useful for "found ammo" or whatever, you'd need a bunch of them, and that's several hundred or thousand dollars. Money you could instead just spend on more bullets for whatever gun you do have. In any case, wherever you're going to find random bullets lying around in the apocalypse, there will probably be a gun that fires those bullets somewhere nearby.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The solution to “how do I shoot all this different ammo?” is unironically “get more guns”.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

What is the point of this? The "FQA" page on that site doesn't really say why they make them. Is this for zombie preppers or something? I can't think of a reason why a normal person would want to shoot pistol rounds out of a shotgun. In order for these to be useful for "found ammo" or whatever, you'd need a bunch of them, and that's several hundred or thousand dollars. Money you could instead just spend on more bullets for whatever gun you do have. In any case, wherever you're going to find random bullets lying around in the apocalypse, there will probably be a gun that fires those bullets somewhere nearby.

Well that thing is just a tube of metal without any restrictions such as licensing etc. I'm Australian, and if you want to get any gun here it's large hoops to jump through, justifying your purchase, getting your safe inspected to make sure you have enough extra room etc. These things let you turn your shotgun into a plinker you can take down to a rimfire range to put some holes in paper, or let you give it to someone inexperienced to get used to it without the recoil and noise of a shotgun. Another thing is that it means my friend only has to carry one gun with him around his cattle ranch and then he has something he can use to shoot wild hogs that he sees, as well as something he can use to put down a cow of his if they're injured. And the question there is "well why doesn't he carry a pistol for destroying injured livestock", the answer to that is that pistols are even more restricted here than long guns.

Platystemon posted:

The solution to “how do I shoot all this different ammo?” is unironically “get more guns”.

Would absolutely be the solution I would prefer, but most places don't have "just buy more guns" as an option.

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 3, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cojawfee posted:

The "FQA" page on that site doesn't really say why they make them...

you'd need a bunch of them, and that's several hundred or thousand dollars.

:thunk:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Platystemon posted:

I would definitely buy the 16.5" pepperbox.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Would absolutely be the solution I would prefer, but most places don't have "just buy more guns" as an option.

There is a reason I didn’t use the word “buy”.

In these fantasy scenarios, how are people “scavenging” ammunition and not finding the guns to use it within arm’s reach?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

There is a reason I didn’t use the word “buy”.

In these fantasy scenarios, how are people “scavenging” ammunition and not finding the guns to use it within arm’s reach?

Because everyone else is a responsible gun owner who doesn't store their gun and ammunition in the same place? Duh!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Uh, everyone knows the primary source of ammo in the post apocalypse is going to be raiders. You loot the ammo off the raiders you kill, and conveniently they also drop the gun they were using to shoot it at you! Problem solved.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'd love to see the fumbling around to load the thing.

It would be like..uh, that looks like 7/16", nah it was 1/2" fastener type ordeal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd love to see the fumbling around to load the thing.

It would be like..uh, that looks like 7/16", nah it was 1/2" fastener type ordeal.

(calling out to leather-daddy bandits) Any of y'all got a thin 1-21/32" offset wrench?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Seat Safety Switch posted:

(calling out to leather-daddy bandits) Any of y'all got a thin 1-21/32" offset wrench?

Let me check my rear end-less chaps for some JIS screwdrivers.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
If they were "assed" chaps, they'd be pants!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Queen Combat posted:

"rear end-full"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Queen Combat posted:

A good argument.

But the way I view it, I could wear chaps with pants. Or without pants. Hence the distinction. I probably should have done some other wording to better communicate what I was implying.

I guess this is a horrible grammar failure.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Edit

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Seriously, you can do so much with a break action shotgun. Bird shot for small animals, slugs or buckshot for larger ones, and you can get those adapters for 22lr or of you really think ammo is gonna be a problem, convert the fucker to a black powder muzzle loader.

You could also hunt with a recurve bow, but the people who think a pepperbox chambered in 7.62x39 is a good idea are the same people who think their neighbors are gonna all turn into rapey cannibals at the slightest collapse of society instead of banding together and forming communities like humans have been doing since they were barely more advanced than monkeys.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A second friend has, in the course of replacing their brake calipers and asking for help, put their calipers on the wrong side and was unable to bleed them. The troubling part is I know I relayed the story of the first friend and also explicitly asked if they were on the correct side and the answer was yes. Turns out he was wrong.

I'm just putting this out to the universe now. Please do your brakes one side at a time and check the parts. Or at the very least, keep all the parts on the side they came from and compare!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If I have a complex disassembly I tend to take photos in case I lose track. With modern phones it's easy.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Plus one on the ‘take photos as you go’. I take lovely potato pics of EVERYTHING I take apart.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm helping my dad restore a 49 Chevy and pretty much every guide I looked up said "take pictures of everything you do, you can never have too many pictures."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Javid posted:

If I have a complex disassembly I tend to take photos in case I lose track. With modern phones it's easy.

Yup.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I hate touching my phone when working on anything dirty or greasy so I subscribe to the she'll be right I can remember this no worries method. It even works sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I can’t say I’ve never considered wearing a body cam.