Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

As a side note: People who assume that "clearance" means "75% - 90% off of everything that is tangentially Christmas themed."

Nope that tote with a red lid is not on clearance, you're holding everyone up else up because you can't read.

Also, Nope the clearance tag clearly says it's only 25% off, you're holding everyone up because you can't read.

That's usually not people being stupid but people thinking they're being really clever in a way that'll get them extra discounts. Never underestimate the ability of a cheapskate to mangle logic into tortured forms that mean that the store has to sell them everything at a massive discount.

Incidentally these people are pretty common and are exactly why :siren: UP TO 94% OFF OF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE :siren: actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

Usually I see horns employed to remind people to actually drive instead of whatever else they're doing in an unmoving vehicle at a green light
Oh no, you might be delayed by up to three whole seconds, what a loving tragedy. :rolleyes:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Guessing you're the type who doesn't pay attention at intersections while you're texting & get honked at for ignoring green lights or open opportunities to go? Because that's yet another valid reason to have horns whether you agree or not.
I'm the type who mostly hears car horns when I'm walking on the footpath or riding in the bike lane, blasted at full, deafening volume by shitheads, at other drivers who are already in the process of correcting whatever it was they did wrong.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My peeve is Netflix's rating system. How the hell did it figure out a 55% match rating for motherfuckin Frasier? I've watched that show from start to finish at least a hundred times. It's my go-to for background noise or for when I'm tired and just want something familiar. I know every line by now. How did that get a 55?

I also never watch any comic-related shows or movies but Black Panther and GotG2 both get over 90%. How is this poo poo even determined??

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've never been honked at while driving but get blasted constantly when I'm on foot and just walking down the sidewalk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We can’t so easily dismiss the possibility you all just don’t know how to walk.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've never been honked at while driving but get blasted constantly when I'm on foot and just walking down the sidewalk.

Are you hot?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phones.

How the gently caress are they so loving bad at everything? Why is it that they're slower and less reliable than any computer was twenty years ago? Why do I have gigabytes of free storage space, but no room to install or update apps? How is every single one of them so poo poo? If some company put out a phone that was even half way decent they should be able to dominate the market instantly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

Oh no, you might be delayed by up to three whole seconds, what a loving tragedy. :rolleyes:

Lol gently caress off mate

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Who pulls out a checkbook at the express checkout lane?!? You had six items for less than twenty bucks, do you really need to do this?

Or they insist on paying in EXACT CHANGE but all their change is in a tiny coin purse somewhere inside their enourmous bag/backpack and then they gotta slowly, excruciatingly count out pennies and- oh no! looks like they didn't have exact change after all, haha! Can you break a 100? No? well, can I just leave my items here while I go to the atm?

honestly people are such dicks

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Are you hot?

I'm usually wearing a coat with a hood so I doubt they can really see me, I think it's just dipshits being dipshits. The same people that roll down their windows to scream at me as they drive past.

Most of the stores near me have finally stopped accepting checks. On top of accepting them being a net loss from wasting time processing them and holding up the line and pissing off all of the customers, they finally realized that the only reason anyone ever pays with a check anymore is to commit check fraud.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I think every single noise in the outside world is about me.

You wouldn't believe how much I hate birds.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FluxFaun posted:

Or they insist on paying in EXACT CHANGE but all their change is in a tiny coin purse somewhere inside their enourmous bag/backpack and then they gotta slowly, excruciatingly count out pennies and- oh no! looks like they didn't have exact change after all, haha! Can you break a 100? No? well, can I just leave my items here while I go to the atm?

honestly people are such dicks
The day cash is eliminated entirely can't come soon enough. It's a huge pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

The only reason I need access to a physical bank branch is to get quarters to feed the apartment laundry machines. I rarely go anywhere you need cash to pay because they don't take cards. Even the local 'extra-cheap because you can't use credit cards' grocery takes debit cards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm usually wearing a coat with a hood so I doubt they can really see me, I think it's just dipshits being dipshits. The same people that roll down their windows to scream at me as they drive past.

...where the hell do you live?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Haifisch posted:

The day cash is eliminated entirely can't come soon enough. It's a huge pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

The only reason I need access to a physical bank branch is to get quarters to feed the apartment laundry machines. I rarely go anywhere you need cash to pay because they don't take cards. Even the local 'extra-cheap because you can't use credit cards' grocery takes debit cards.

Come to Australia, it's predicted we'll be a cashless society in 3 or 4 years. Cheques are obsolete and actual cash is going that way too. Paying for stuff is really fast and easy as you just tap your card and only need to enter your pin if it's over $100. No fees for small amounts too so you can tap to pay for your coffee.
Some coffee and food places don't even accept cash anymore.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Aphrodite posted:

...where the hell do you live?

do you really think this doesn't happen, or

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Aphrodite posted:

You use the horn after you did the safety thing to tell the other person they're an rear end in a top hat.

They either know and don't care, or think you're the rear end in a top hat for honking at them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Guessing you're the type who doesn't pay attention at intersections while you're texting & get honked at for ignoring green lights or open opportunities to go? Because that's yet another valid reason to have horns whether you agree or not.

Here's a better idea - wear earplugs & see how far you get before Darwining yourself like the other idiots who don't pay attention.

Because I don't like idiots who honk their horns for no reason I'm the type who doesn't pay attention at intersections, and someone who texts and drives. Project much?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

artsy fartsy posted:

My peeve is Netflix's rating system. How the hell did it figure out a 55% match rating for motherfuckin Frasier? I've watched that show from start to finish at least a hundred times. It's my go-to for background noise or for when I'm tired and just want something familiar. I know every line by now. How did that get a 55?

I also never watch any comic-related shows or movies but Black Panther and GotG2 both get over 90%. How is this poo poo even determined??

It seems like it's totally random when I get "Because you watched [movie]" with a list of movies and TV shows that are not even tangentially related to the movie that I watched.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MightyJoe36 posted:

It seems like it's totally random when I get "Because you watched [movie]" with a list of movies and TV shows that are not even tangentially related to the movie that I watched.

I love that feature just for the off the wall poo poo it can throw at you. My wife and I watched Bird Box recently, so clearly we'd also want to watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Or I watched Jason Goes To Hell, so it follows that I would also want to watch Balto.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Helith posted:

Come to Australia, it's predicted we'll be a cashless society in 3 or 4 years. Cheques are obsolete and actual cash is going that way too. Paying for stuff is really fast and easy as you just tap your card and only need to enter your pin if it's over $100. No fees for small amounts too so you can tap to pay for your coffee.

How do you buy drugs? E-transfer?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

do you really think this doesn't happen, or

I live in Canada, so...

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How do you buy drugs? E-transfer?

As a boring old who stopped doing drugs long ago I haven't bought any in Aus, but you can link your bank account to your email address or phone number in your banking app and set up a PayID which means you can do instant transfers of money between 2 people, so yeah you could totally pay your dealer by e-transfer from your phone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Hey everyone who plays words with friends - don't nudge me. Ever. I'll play this stupid game that I know you all are cheating on when I loving feel like it. You nudging me guarantees that I will not play my move for at least 24 hours. You have no idea how mad I get when I get a buzz on my phone at 2am and it's this cheating gently caress whining that I haven't played a word for 12 hours.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Hey everyone who plays words with friends - don't nudge me. Ever. I'll play this stupid game that I know you all are cheating on when I loving feel like it. You nudging me guarantees that I will not play my move for at least 24 hours. You have no idea how mad I get when I get a buzz on my phone at 2am and it's this cheating gently caress whining that I haven't played a word for 12 hours.

Why the gently caress would you ever let a game buzz your phone?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Helith posted:

Except for all the Asian eateries that are CASH ONLY SORRY so they can avoid paying as much tax. If small market stalls can afford to get a Square payment thing or other mobile payment method that hooks up to their phone, then the place selling honey chicken & rice for $10 can too. $30 a month to rent an eftpos machine is nothing, considering most people don't even carry much cash anymore, meaning lost sales.

But yeah, I've only used a cheque once in my life and it was a Bank Cheque which is as good as cash (at least to the person I made it out to). All my job payments in the last 15 years have been direct deposit (except my first job - one of the aforementioned Asian-owned eateries - paid below minimum wage in cash and not reported to the ATO), rent payments have either been direct deposit, BPAY or a rent card.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Now THAT is the Oz that I am conditioned to squint sideways at

(Also worked at an ASIAN eatery in :911: for two years and no one was sneakily evading the taxes an Honest Business would pay, maybe Australia is different buttttttttt)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't think I've ever even seen a cheque

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also worked at an ASIAN eatery in :911: for two years and no one was sneakily evading the taxes an Honest Business would pay, maybe Australia is different buttttttttt
It's not just Asian restaurants, but it is a lot of Asian restaurants. Also fish and chip shops. They're about the only places you ever need cash any more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

It's not just Asian restaurants, but it is a lot of Asian restaurants. Also fish and chip shops. They're about the only places you ever need cash any more.

I’ve seen exactly one place in North America that was cash only, it’s a lovely burger place in my hometown, so that’s whatever

I’m more concerned about the idea that the perfidious asian who doesn’t speak proper is THE cash only operator, because they want to avoid taxes?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I'd ask who even carries a checkbook with them, but I'm guessing this was a 5000 year old crone.

Tangentally related peeve: Landlords that charge a fee for paying online. gently caress you, you're the only reason I have checks anymore. :argh:

My complex apparently chose an incompetent payment processor because I always pay my rent on the first (and get a confirmation email) but sometimes get a letter on my door on the morning of the third. It’s not even a weekend/non-business day thing.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I still carry a small amount of cash in my wallet. :corsair:

OTOH, I've written 1 check in the last three years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Podcasts that spend 20+ minutes of each episode going over listener emails.

Yeah, mailbags can be great, but not as a large chunk of every episode, limit them to one 40 minute episode per month of only the best emails. Instead you get 20 extra minutes of low effort chaff every week that is for an audience of exactly the same people who sent in an email.

I understand how it happens, when you're starting off, you get a couple actually useful emails and want to share them. As the popularity builds, the wheat dwindles, and then you get a 30 minute sessions of "Please wish my friend happy birthday in your overused joke voice!" or "Please go on tour to Bumblefuck, Turkmenistan."

It also seems to contribute to the hosts shoving their heads even farther up their rear end every week. It really does make some podcasts boarder on unlistenable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Podcasts that spend 20+ minutes of each episode going over listener emails.

Yeah, mailbags can be great, but not as a large chunk of every episode, limit them to one 40 minute episode per month of only the best emails. Instead you get 20 extra minutes of low effort chaff every week that is for an audience of exactly the same people who sent in an email.

I understand how it happens, when you're starting off, you get a couple actually useful emails and want to share them. As the popularity builds, the wheat dwindles, and then you get a 30 minute sessions of "Please wish my friend happy birthday in your overused joke voice!" or "Please go on tour to Bumblefuck, Turkmenistan."

It also seems to contribute to the hosts shoving their heads even farther up their rear end every week. It really does make some podcasts boarder on unlistenable.

I always wonder how often someone submits a Jumbotron message to MBMBAM only to learn that their SO just skips that section.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My bank's bill payment service will automatically send a check out if I fill out a form online so yeah, I haven't actually had a checkbook in like 20 years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

My bank's bill payment service will automatically send a check out if I fill out a form online so yeah, I haven't actually had a checkbook in like 20 years.

What a bizarrely roundabout way of doing things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Mine can do that too. I only did that for a while when I was ordering from a place that only took PayPal or checks. The place I was ordering from got confused the first two times I did it, and resulted in me getting a couple of free things.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I pretty much just use it for my rent (because I too rent from someone who can't/won't deal with electronic payments). Yeah, it's roundabout but from my perspective as the end user it's convenient as gently caress.

They'll also do electronic transfers to places that support them, though most of those places I tend to deal with directly because if something goes wrong I'd rather be able to tell the electric company that their payment processing system is run by gerbils than try to sort out where things went awry between them and my bank.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tiggum posted:

One time a friend needed to pay me $50 for something. He filled out a form on his bank's site that resulted in a check being mailed to me, then when it arrived I deposited it by pointing my phone at it and sending an image of it to my bank.

Banking is loving weird.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Indecisive people drive me nuts. It's the first warmish day in 2 months, and my partner and I are going hiking. I think. She's been sitting in a bathrobe at her computer for 3 hours trying to decide where we should go, and I've been sitting around in my hiking boots with a packed bag this entire time. Pretty soon I'm going to eat the lunch I made for the trail right here in the apartment. We've got about 4 hours of daylight left. It doesn't make any difference at all where we go, but it's her turn to choose and I'm being respectful of that. For 3 hours she's been weighing factors like "What if it's muddy?" or "I can't decide if I want to hike next to water". If this process wasn't limited to hiking, menus, and Netflix I don't think our relationship would survive! Good thing I love her SO GODDAMN MUCH AUGHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just a thought, but maybe she doesn't want to go hiking.