Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was he a human being that transitioned into a snowperson?

I have yet to see Frozen.

I was mostly being facetious but on reflection I could see how it would actually work; Olaf is a snowman who dislikes the cold and dreams of getting to experience the summertime, something the body he was born into is incapable of but which he ultimately gets to experience thanks to changing his body with the power of magic.

Frozen is pretty good, I'd put it above Moana and Big Hero 6 but below Tangled and Zootopia and Wreck-It Ralph in terms of contemporary Disney animated features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Mann posted:

Frozen is pretty good, I'd put it above Moana and Big Hero 6 but below Tangled and Zootopia and Wreck-It Ralph in terms of contemporary Disney animated features.

I put it near the bottom, honestly. There's definitely a good movie inside Frozen, but the pacing is weird, the protagonist (Anna) is terrible, it's not as feminist as it seems, and I think it shows that the movie was rewritten well into its development to make Elsa a good guy instead of the film's villain.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So in Mary Poppins Returns the central conflict of the movie is not that the children lack imagination, because this is in fact never shown, but rather that the family is losing their house because their father is a idiot who forgot to pay back a loan he took out.

Rest is spoilers

The film then spends several songs with the children having adventures whose morals are "do things when you are told to do them", "do things now when you think of them, rather than putting them off", and "approach difficult problems from new angles". These are not fun lessons, nor are they actually lessons the children needed because in the beginning of the film they are already discussing how to resolve grown up problems immediately, because they need to, and by approaching the problem from different angles.

Before we go further I need to address the loan issue; the loan thing pisses me right off too because its never stated why, exactly, he took out the loan, so the only two reasons are either a) the father is upside-down on income and will therefore, as soon as this loan is paid off, need to take out another one or b) is a massive idiot who just took out a loan because, hey free money. The best part is, given that the movie notes explicitly the father wasn't working prior to the start of the film it could even be both and the moral for him at the end is to be "more childish"? gently caress you dude.

During all of this terrible framed and shot cinema, an ongoing background plot is going on where the father and his sister whose entire character despite being in considerable amounts of this film consists of "is a milquetoast liberal" are hunting for bank shares so they can pay back this idiot loan. You might think, therefore, that because the film spends quite a lot of time of them searching for them as well as showing you one of their children cutting up the bank shares and gluing it to his kite these might actually matter. Hell, you'd be forgiven for thinking that since the father drew art on the back of the bank shares, and he's shown drawing on the backs of many things, the whole family might have a touching moment where art and wealth and their memories of the dead come together in a single catalyzing object at the climax of the film. None of that happens. They get to the bank, they don't have all the pieces, and then a door opens up and a higher-tier capailist swoops in and says "no, they have the money" and the day is saved. Why nearly a quarter of the films already long runtime gets to be mulched by an entire plot thread where characters learn nothing, do nothing, and in the end do not even resolve the central issue is absolutely mystifying.

I should add too that the villain faces absolutely no meaningful comeuppance nor is his plot ever discovered or commented upon, and more gratingly despite being a tremendous piece of poo poo absolutely nothing he does is illegal as far as the film is concerned. At the end he just gets fired where I'm sure this insanely wealthy man who has taken a small bank in london and doubled its profits during one of the worst recessions in the cities history is going to really ruin his life.

As for Mary Poppins herself outclassing everyone, there is a part of the film where some characters decide that they need to turn off the lights of big ben and move the clock hand back to buy a few more minutes time for the other characters who are rushing to the bank. Reminder, absolutely none of this matters because the day is saved by a capitalist literally just walking in from stage left. We are then treated to an extremely long stunt sequence of all our working class individuals trying desperately to climb the clock tower fast enough to do all this while risking death and grievous bodily harm. At the end, after many harrowing difficulties they manage to climb the clock tower but can't move the hand of the clock back. Mary Poppins, who has been standing there the whole time, then decides she'll just do it, floats up and does it herself. Not only does this raise the question of "why the hell did Mary Poppins allow these people to risk their lives if she could just do it herself" but it is basically "what is impossible for the poor is a triviality for the rich" made manifest.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 4, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

A younger Simmons, John Turturro's character.
Wait really? I guess I just didn't make the connection when I saw it, haha. I just figured it was completely divorced from Bay's Transformers movies outside of Optimus Prime's voice actor and some similar story concepts because they exist in the same universe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Could you please add a spoiler warning to the post when it gives away the entire film?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Could you please add a spoiler warning to the post when it gives away the entire film?

Apologies, I thought I had them in there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait really? I guess I just didn't make the connection when I saw it, haha. I just figured it was completely divorced from Bay's Transformers movies outside of Optimus Prime's voice actor and some similar story concepts because they exist in the same universe.

It's actually more confusing. They removed some dialogue connecting Bumblebee to previous Transformers films, but they also did not film scenes involving Megatron because it contradicted the other movies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

So in Mary Poppins Returns the central conflict of the movie is not that the children lack imagination, because this is in fact never shown, but rather that the family is losing their house because their father is a idiot who forgot to pay back a loan he took out. The film then spends several songs with the children having adventures whose morals are "do things when you are told to do them", "do things now when you think of them, rather than putting them off", and "approach difficult problems from new angles". These are not fun lessons, nor are they actually lessons the children needed because in the beginning of the film they are already discussing how to resolve grown up problems immediately, because they need to, and by approaching the problem from different angles.

Before we go further I need to address the loan issue; the loan thing pisses me right off too because its never stated why, exactly, he took out the loan, so the only two reasons are either a) the father is upside-down on income and will therefore, as soon as this loan is paid off, need to take out another one or b) is a massive idiot who just took out a loan because, hey free money. The best part is, given that the movie notes explicitly the father wasn't working prior to the start of the film it could even be both and the moral for him at the end is to be "more childish"? gently caress you dude.

During all of this terrible framed and shot cinema, an ongoing background plot is going on where the father and his sister whose entire character despite being in considerable amounts of this film consists of "is a milquetoast liberal" are hunting for bank shares so they can pay back this idiot loan. You might think, therefore, that because the film spends quite a lot of time of them searching for them as well as showing you one of their children cutting up the bank shares and gluing it to his kite these might actually matter. Hell, you'd be forgiven for thinking that since the father drew art on the back of the bank shares, and he's shown drawing on the backs of many things, the whole family might have a touching moment where art and wealth and their memories of the dead come together in a single catalyzing object at the climax of the film. None of that happens. They get to the bank, they don't have all the pieces, and then a door opens up and a higher-tier capailist swoops in and says "no, they have the money" and the day is saved. Why nearly a quarter of the films already long runtime gets to be mulched by an entire plot thread where characters learn nothing, do nothing, and in the end do not even resolve the central issue is absolutely mystifying.

I should add too that the villain faces absolutely no meaningful comeuppance nor is his plot ever discovered or commented upon, and more gratingly despite being a tremendous piece of poo poo absolutely nothing he does is illegal as far as the film is concerned. At the end he just gets fired where I'm sure this insanely wealthy man who has taken a small bank in london and doubled its profits during one of the worst recessions in the cities history is going to really ruin his life.

As for Mary Poppins herself outclassing everyone, there is a part of the film where some characters decide that they need to turn off the lights of big ben and move the clock hand back to buy a few more minutes time for the other characters who are rushing to the bank. Reminder, absolutely none of this matters because the day is saved by a capitalist literally just walking in from stage left. We are then treated to an extremely long stunt sequence of all our working class individuals trying desperately to climb the clock tower fast enough to do all this while risking death and grievous bodily harm. At the end, after many harrowing difficulties they manage to climb the clock tower but can't move the hand of the clock back. Mary Poppins, who has been standing there the whole time, then decides she'll just do it, floats up and does it herself. Not only does this raise the question of "why the hell did Mary Poppins allow these people to risk their lives if she could just do it herself" but it is basically "what is impossible for the poor is a triviality for the rich" made manifest.

You enunciated my complaints exactly.
Has disney even made a good film with non-neolib politics in the last two decades? Maybe Tangled? Ugh i'm just so sick of their mediocre status-quo poo poo

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

got any sevens posted:

You enunciated my complaints exactly.
Has disney even made a good film with non-neolib politics in the last two decades? Maybe Tangled? Ugh i'm just so sick of their mediocre status-quo poo poo

Yeah the Tinkerbell movies are good

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Barudak posted:

Apologies, I thought I had them in there.

No worries, thanks.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Barudak posted:

:words: about Mary Poppins

It's about both imo.

The main conflict is definitely weird as gently caress when you consider what the moral of the original movie was. And yeah that end scene (with Big Ben) was weird.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The loan/bank shares plot is dumb but the problem isnt that it’s dumb it’s how much time is spent on it. Like they could’ve had it be the vague backdrop of the plot without checking back in on it constantly and the kids still could’ve gone on magic adventures with Mary Poppins. that the bank shares ultimately do not matter and kind old dick van dyke randomly saves the day just goes to show how dumb the whole thing was

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

I put it near the bottom, honestly. There's definitely a good movie inside Frozen, but the pacing is weird, the protagonist (Anna) is terrible, it's not as feminist as it seems, and I think it shows that the movie was rewritten well into its development to make Elsa a good guy instead of the film's villain.

Having Elsa be the villain is up there with having Flynn die at the end of Tangled in terms of "improvements" that are the definition of giving up something valuable to buy something cheap; it would completely destroy the entire arc of the character and the moral of the film to have her parents be completely right to have locked her up and shamed her into submission all in the name of some shocking gotcha moment when she becomes evil. Frozen was one of those movies that in development hell and underwent a ton of revisions of the years, Elsa being the villain at one point isn't any more significant to the final product than Tangled being a Shrek-style farce about modern kids who get sucked into a story book or Wreck-It Ralph having its final act take place in a The Sims/Grand Theft Auto life sim game.

Also Anna is one of the few Disney princesses to actually have an arc where they grow as a character, her being annoying and gullible and making bad decisions is a necessary part of that so she can actually grow and learn over the course of the movie. She has more in common with Lilo from Lilo & Stitch than the average Disney princess, right down to rejecting an idealized vision of what a family is .

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was just disappointed that Anna didn't get fire powers to balance out Elsa and her ice powers.

And together they cause the seasons to change.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Mann posted:

Having Elsa be the villain is up there with having Flynn die at the end of Tangled in terms of "improvements" that are the definition of giving up something valuable to buy something cheap; it would completely destroy the entire arc of the character and the moral of the film to have her parents be completely right to have locked her up and shamed her into submission all in the name of some shocking gotcha moment when she becomes evil. Frozen was one of those movies that in development hell and underwent a ton of revisions of the years, Elsa being the villain at one point isn't any more significant to the final product than Tangled being a Shrek-style farce about modern kids who get sucked into a story book or Wreck-It Ralph having its final act take place in a The Sims/Grand Theft Auto life sim game.

Also Anna is one of the few Disney princesses to actually have an arc where they grow as a character, her being annoying and gullible and making bad decisions is a necessary part of that so she can actually grow and learn over the course of the movie. She has more in common with Lilo from Lilo & Stitch than the average Disney princess, right down to rejecting an idealized vision of what a family is .

Yeah you could argue the fact the family dynamic kind of takes a back seat to the love story but making Elsa the villian would have been very uncomfortable for the message the story sets up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Mann posted:

Frozen was originally pretty different, and more true to the Danish fairy tale it's based on. Anna and Hans were a more traditional Disney prince and princess, and Elsa a straight-up villain who attacked them on their wedding day with an army of snowmen and kidnapped Hans and froze Anna's heart, forcing Anna to go on a heroic adventure to save her husband.

No joke, it was writing the song Let It Go that prompted Disney to change gears on Frozen. It was written as Elsa's big villain song, her proud declaration that yes she's a total sociopath and doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else. The director heard the first version of the song and realized that wow, Elsa is incredibly lonely and it must really suck to have her powers.

The movie was rewritten accordingly.

The original fairy tale, incidentally, ends with Elsa converting to Christianity, marrying a man, and becoming a perfect submissive housewife who never uses her magic again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Someone help me out, isn’t the February release for Aliya its second push-back? Didn’t it go summer 2017 -> December 2017 -> February 2018? Or am I just misremembering?

Yeah, it was supposed to be a summer movie, got moved to Dec 21st (same day as Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Bumblebee) and finally moved to Feb. I'm definitely not betting on it meeting that release date either though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

davidspackage posted:

That's Henry Cavill's superpower. When he gets angry, additional pockets appear on him.

Sign the fucker to another Leifeld property. Youngbloods or something.

edit: I got beaten to this bad, but gently caress it.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 4, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The reason he got the loan was because they were paying medical bills for the mother, I would assume. And failed to pay it because they went from a dual income household to a singular one.

I think the reason the bank share plot fizzles out is to underline that their financial situation was not as attached to their emotional state as they thought.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

I was just disappointed that Anna didn't get fire powers to balance out Elsa and her ice powers.

And together they cause the seasons to change.

Maybe the plot of Frozen 2 is Anna getting fire powers and they team up to defeat the Heat and Cold Miser.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One thing about WiR2 that kind of blows my mind is that it's only the second sequel Walt Disney Animation Studios has ever made, with its first being The Rescuers Down Under in 1990. All the cheapquels of the 90s and 00s were outsourced to Disneytoon Studios.

This means that Pixar has released more than three times as many sequels than Disney has :psyduck:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rirse posted:

Maybe the plot of Frozen 2 is Anna getting fire powers and they team up to defeat the Heat and Cold Miser.
Together they can sing a song of ice and fire!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Went and saw Escape Room, which was essentially a cross between that Saw sequel where everyone turns out to be linked together by the insurance scheme and the Resident Evil movie where the locations keep shifting. Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it was supposed to be a summer movie, got moved to Dec 21st (same day as Aquaman, Mary Poppins and Bumblebee) and finally moved to Feb. I'm definitely not betting on it meeting that release date either though.

they've been advertising it on TV for a month now, it's locked in and ready to go. Whether or not it will be any good is still very much in the air but any more delays would probably cost the studio more than the movie is worth. And Fox has been spending too much on movies that keep getting delayed.

I want it to be good though. I've seen the trailer enough that the eyes no longer have any effect on me and it just looks like a solid action movie with some dope action. (but i liked GitScarlet Johannson so ymmv)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

It's actually more confusing. They removed some dialogue connecting Bumblebee to previous Transformers films, but they also did not film scenes involving Megatron because it contradicted the other movies.

Michael Bay would not have given a poo poo about continuity.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bartok posted:

All I remember about that second X-Files movie was Billy Connolly playing a psychic pedophile priest.
A psychic paedo priest at the start, gay Russian head transplants at the end, and I have no memory whatsoever of how those two things were connected by the rest of the movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DC Murderverse posted:

they've been advertising it on TV for a month now, it's locked in and ready to go. Whether or not it will be any good is still very much in the air but any more delays would probably cost the studio more than the movie is worth. And Fox has been spending too much on movies that keep getting delayed.

I want it to be good though. I've seen the trailer enough that the eyes no longer have any effect on me and it just looks like a solid action movie with some dope action. (but i liked GitScarlet Johannson so ymmv)

It bodes ill for the quality of the film that it got pushed back twice, with a drat February release date. Robert Rodriguez behind the camera of a 2019 release inspires no confidence, either. Also keep in mind, the second live-action GI Joe movie got pushed back 9 months after a drat Super Bowl ad prominently displayed its original release date. Anything can happen.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It bodes ill for the quality of the film that it got pushed back twice, with a drat February release date. Robert Rodriguez behind the camera of a 2019 release inspires no confidence, either. Also keep in mind, the second live-action GI Joe movie got pushed back 9 months after a drat Super Bowl ad prominently displayed its original release date. Anything can happen.

He’s a weird director because he has some legit good poo poo on his resume, but when you look at his IMDb page it becomes very very clear that the good is heavily outweighed by mediocrity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Most of his mediocrity was literally kids movies he made to get his kids writing credits or something, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Most of his mediocrity was literally kids movies he made to get his kids writing credits or something, though.

I literally have not heard a single good thing about Machete Kills or Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, his two most recent movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ehhh. There’s a lot more filler on his plate than that. Sin City 2 was only a couple of years ago. Planet Terror is good for maybe one watch. Once Upon A Time In Mexico is a bit of a mess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha I forgot sin City 2 even existed, or for some reason thought it was directed by Frank Miller

I just remember thinking Once Upon a time in Mexico was awesome when I was in college

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 4, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just remember thinking Once Upon a time in Mexico was awesome when I was in college

I liked it well enough at the time, but it really didn't hold up to a second viewing a few years back.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All I remember about it is the cartel boss getting a face transplant and the next time you see him immediately getting killed by Desperado. That and Johnny Depp getting his eyes removed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember a guy with a fake arm who gets made by a kid selling Chiclets, that kid was definitely a MexiCAN whereas this Hitman turned out to be a MexiCANT

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The thing I remember most about Once Upon A Time In Mexico is Johnny Depp eating food that was so good, he had to kill the chef.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just remembered frank miller directed the spirit

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, Mulan is the trans icon. :v:

The Mouse suits were also shamelessly open about how Olaf was added to the movie for only two reasons: to add another male character to the movie, and for merchandising. They were worried that Frozen would be too girly and not attract enough of a young male audience if the only male characters were Kristoff, Hans, and the duke.

Olaf rules and doesn't get in the way of the main plot so its an alright change

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I remember a guy with a fake arm who gets made by a kid selling Chiclets, that kid was definitely a MexiCAN whereas this Hitman turned out to be a MexiCANT

more like a non-ja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I just remembered frank miller directed the spirit

:lol: I forgot The Spirit existed