Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gay Horney posted:

He is literally describing reality

A thing can be a real thing that happens, and also it can be a real problem to say "all people who are like the people doing this? they also do this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Europeans: Americans are so racist

Also Europeans: fuckin gyppos m8

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm going to be serious here for a minute. Roma people in Europe have insane unemployment rates, like, over 50%, and 90% of them live in poverty, and as a result many of them are involved in criminal activities. There might be something to be said about how traditional Roma culture contributes to that (provided you don't forget the role of plain old bigotry, too, of course), but perpetuating stereotypes definitely doesn't help with any of that, and only hinders any possible discussion. Don't do that. It's that easy. Instead of gypped, *a minute passes* say bamboozled. But only bamboozled. Don't even think about saying something as pedestrian as tricked, or conned, or fooled. Remember, it's only bamboozled from now on.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
As a rule I don't like to be serious, but a surprising number of people have surprising issue with roma, which to me is equatable with having issue with bumblebees.

Also I don't like people who say look at that racist because I find often they're the racist and I don't know whom to facepalm how hard.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to be serious here for a minute. Roma people in Europe have insane unemployment rates, like, over 50%, and 90% of them live in poverty, and as a result many of them are involved in criminal activities. There might be something to be said about how traditional Roma culture contributes to that (provided you don't forget the role of plain old bigotry, too, of course), but perpetuating stereotypes definitely doesn't help with any of that, and only hinders any possible discussion. Don't do that. It's that easy. Instead of gypped, *a minute passes* say bamboozled. But only bamboozled. Don't even think about saying something as pedestrian as tricked, or conned, or fooled. Remember, it's only bamboozled from now on.

I see your tricks, you're not gonna get me to read this long post and distract me while your little cousin takes my wallet only to discover I only have an expired bus pass and card with three stamps towards a free gelato.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

crime is good.

If a pickpocket gets you then you probably had it coming.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

FactsAreUseless posted:

b-b-but hillary's emails

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

which to me is equatable with having issue with bumblebees
look they know what they did, alright

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jan 4, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite anecdote about Roma racism is the tale of comic book writer Peter David, who once went on a fairly unhinged diatribe about how they were all horrible con artists who purposefully crippled their children to make them more sympathetic beggars and all this other stuff. He claimed he was told all this by a tour guide in Europe who saw this kind of thing every day so obviously it was true. As predicted a lot of people called him out on it, but instead of the usual move of doubling down and clinging to his bigotry he did some research and thought about it for a while, and came to the conclusion that the tour guide was almost certainly just repeating stories and urban legends as fact and he had contributed to that by repeating the tour guides story once he was back in the US. He gave the most genuine and earnest apology I've ever seen from someone called out on casual racism. It's so rare to see that.

Jesus what thread is this? You fuckers making me serious post in the funny quotes thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pyf has been weird lately

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sneakyfrog posted:

pyf has been weird lately

It's ok, in two days the three magi will be here and they will scare all the roma away. You can relax.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dated a roma once. we made out by draculas castle. it was cool.

thank you for letting me share.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

like i said in the thread the quote is from. poor disenfranchised people commit crimes. Then poverty goat came up with some other dumb example about how they tricked his idiot aunt by renting her house and loving it up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

snergle posted:

like i said in the thread the quote is from. poor disenfranchised people commit crimes. Then poverty goat came up with some other dumb example about how they tricked his idiot aunt by renting her house and loving it up.

It drives me nuts because you see hurr durr bigotry about Roma from people who wouldn't in a million years fall for the same rhetoric used to color all black folks or poor immigrants as criminals, but there's some weird disconnect with this particular group.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It drives me nuts because you see hurr durr bigotry about Roma from people who wouldn't in a million years fall for the same rhetoric used to color all black folks or poor immigrants as criminals, but there's some weird disconnect with this particular group.

To simplify, it's partially because Romani are socially persecuted to an extent that those who make conscious steps to avoid harassment almost always relinquish everything culturally distinguishable/identifying themselves as one.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thissss, I've seen people in a conversation about how terrible stereotypes are, and when Roma come up they'll literally say "Oh but with them it's actually true though", like, have a single moment of self awareness once in your Goddamn life

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

but there's some weird disconnect with this particular group.

Huh, must be genetic

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I see your tricks, you're not gonna get me to read this long post and distract me while your little cousin takes my wallet only to discover I only have an expired bus pass and card with three stamps towards a free gelato.

Not tricks.

Bamboozles.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It will never stop being hilarious to me how Eurogoons will scoff and titter at Amerigoons for our racist shithole of a country but as soon as you even vaguely remind them about Roma, they scream and spin and poo poo themselves violently, but our hate for those drat Gypsies is TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND JUSTIFIED because:

You're racists. Just acknowledge it, your blood pressure will thank you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Saying a group of people is racist is racist

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FactsAreUseless posted:

There was a version of this somewhere quoted in this thread that went something like:

European : You americans are so racist, not like us enlightened Europeans!

American: But what about the Roma?

European: *face cracks like a mask revealing Hitler* well let me tell you.....

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
There was an episode of Bizarre Foods where Andrew Zimmern visited a Romani family. It was pretty cool and also funny because they strongly reminded me of my dad’s side of the family (Kentucky rednecks/hillbillies). Really looked like a good time.

E: forgot what thread I was reading.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do they really use magic?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe the people who associate every drat thing to race are racist?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There was a version of this somewhere quoted in this thread that went something like:

European : You americans are so racist, not like us enlightened Europeans!

American: But what about the Roma?

European: *face cracks like a mask revealing Hitler* well let me tell you.....

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe the people who associate every drat thing to race are racist?

I mean yeah that’s how it works, though it’s a little more complicated then that. Muslims being the prime example

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Roma are treated with less respect than garbage.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
European prejudice against Roma is always strange to me because I’m pretty sure most Americans aren’t aware they’re real and not just a fairy-tale thing. Hearing someone go off about how they’re tricksters and pickpockets and you can never trust them is like hearing that there’s a troll living under a nearby bridge.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

theflyingorc posted:

A thing can be a real thing that happens, and also it can be a real problem to say "all people who are like the people doing this? they also do this."

did he say that and I missed it? apologies if true. Tyson fury is my favorite boxer

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I heard you can get them to fix your broken pots and pans, but you can't let them into your village or they might steal your child.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've never even seen Roma/gypsies being discussed on this site, maybe I'm just browsing the wrong threads?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The Roma gave us manouche jazz for which we should be forever grateful

https://youtu.be/2yfQN8-tVlQ

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pirate Radar posted:

European prejudice against Roma is always strange to me because I’m pretty sure most Americans aren’t aware they’re real and not just a fairy-tale thing. Hearing someone go off about how they’re tricksters and pickpockets and you can never trust them is like hearing that there’s a troll living under a nearby bridge.

So we're just casually making GBS threads on trolls then, huh? The Breccia Silicon Anti-Defamation league is gonna have a word with you.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Roma are treated with less respect than garbage.

Last time I was in Madrid the trash collectors had been on strike for like 3 weeks and our host spent like 10 seconds talking about the gigantic piles of waste everywhere and 10 minutes delivering a monologue about how much of a stain the Gypsies were on society.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

This was great in the Boxtrolls movie where they're little thieving shits and the movie presents no argument from its own universe why one should not want them destroyed

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

Never forget that White Wolf, the guys who made Vampire the Masquerade and a large number of other monster-based RPGs using the same system, also released one called World of Darkness: Gypsies, a sourcebook allowing you to make a Gypsy character with special skills involving fleecing idiots for cash, drinking too much (they are literally the only sourcebook with a statistical alcohol tolerance), getting bizarrely lucky, and hypnotising people with dancing.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

Never forget that White Wolf, the guys who made Vampire the Masquerade and a large number of other monster-based RPGs using the same system, also released one called World of Darkness: Gypsies, a sourcebook allowing you to make a Gypsy character with special skills involving fleecing idiots for cash, drinking too much (they are literally the only sourcebook with a statistical alcohol tolerance), getting bizarrely lucky, and hypnotising people with dancing.

the most op characters in world of darkness

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Something like 90% of Americans, if you say “gypsy,” mentally picture Esmeralda from the Disney The Hunchback of Notre Dame movie, lumping them in there with mermaids and talking animals in the “Once Upon a Time” category of brain space

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deep Thoreau posted:

I heard you can get them to fix your broken pots and pans, but you can't let them into your village or they might steal your child.

They are masters of deep and powerful lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Pirate Radar posted:

Something like 90% of Americans, if you say “gypsy,” mentally picture Esmeralda from the Disney The Hunchback of Notre Dame movie, lumping them in there with mermaids and talking animals in the “Once Upon a Time” category of brain space

I'm fully aware they aren't all Esmeralda from Hunchback, that doesn't make Europeans turning into screaming banshees spitting pillars of flame at the mere mention of them any less racist.