Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The full body awareness in Left 4 Dead was cool as hell back in the day, I was always sad that they stripped it out of the sequel for reasons unexplained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I imagine it all right, and its gonna happen one day. Some of those features you mentioned were in FEAR, not long after HL2. I foresee a big ol classy cinematic FPS campaign, and I imagine a new innovation or two, maybe a bit retro in some ways though. It's kind of a timeless formula.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Half-Life 3 will be a Battle Royale set in City 17.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CJacobs posted:

The full body awareness in Left 4 Dead was cool as hell back in the day, I was always sad that they stripped it out of the sequel for reasons unexplained.

What are you talking about?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glagha posted:

What are you talking about?

The post exactly 2 posts before mine that I was responding to?

Mordja posted:

Beat HL2 and Episode One with MMod. Game's great, haters vacate. Even E1 has some memorable moments, though I can see that its short length would have been disappointing at launch. The main criticisms still stand, however; there aren't enough enemy types and the arsenal is smaller and duller than its predecessors. All told it makes me sad that Valve doesn't make games anymore. Imagine what a Half Life would be like with modern tech! It does make me wonder what I'd like a new game in the series to play like. Would they adopt a lot of current sensibilities, like full body awareness, movement options like mantling and sliding, and an AR with a grenade launcher instead of an SMG with a grenade launcher? Or would they stay true to the series idiosyncrasies?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

They explained it, I'm pretty sure. IIRC it was to free up more memory or CPU or something (especially on the resource-constrained 360) for the new gore effects.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whenever you see some cool physics-based thing in older PC games and you're wondering "wow why did they take this out of the sequel" the answer is usually because the toaster-level CPUs of console hardware couldn't handle it.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

SwissCM posted:

If Valve release another HL game it's probably going to use VR mechanics.

if valve release another HL game it'll be a f2p collectable card game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hopefully Artifact changed the thinking at Valve a little. They probably could have spent an equal amount of time on any conceivable single-player game and had it do 10x better than Artifact.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, what the heck does full body awareness mean? That you can see your limbs? Was there some mechanic I missed in Left4Dead?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Wait, what the heck does full body awareness mean? That you can see your limbs?

You can see your legs/torso while looking down in-game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Barudak posted:

Wait, what the heck does full body awareness mean? That you can see your limbs? Was there some mechanic I missed in Left4Dead?

Yup.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

They probably could have spent an equal amount of time on any conceivable single-player game and had it do 10x better than Artifact.
Honestly, probably not, because the long timeframe between single player games likely means that their next one, whatever it is, will have an unassailable level of expectations upon it that will result in it unleashing a level of internet anger that would make Spore, No Man's Sky and Fallout 76 all look like farts in a bathtub in comparison, regardless of final product quality. So it goes.

There's also the bit where single player games are crazy 'spensive to build and players barely even start them, let alone finish and replay them. As an example using Steam achievement stats: 17% of Portal 2 players didn't even play past the intro sequence, over a quarter of them didn't finish the tutorial, and under half managed to reach the ending! That's a lot of content to make and not get seen by the majority of players! The days of the big flashy scripted corridor shooter seem to be numbered on account of the sheer amount of work needed to make all those set-pieces and scripted events to a modern Ultra-HD standard.

As far as action games and FPSes go, I suspect that particularly ambitious indies will try and make their mark on that style of gameplay using visual stylisation to make up for a lack of budget, while the mega-studios will probably veer more towards systems-driven sandboxes ala the Assassins Creeds and Skyrims of the world... or... just not making single player games. That's an option that seems to have worked out decently for COD this year...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hasn't there been a bunch of free bundles with Portal 2? That might explain it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can see your legs/torso while looking down in-game.

Phew, not a missed mechanic, just a visual thing. I'm curious now what the first FPS to have that is. I know Breakdown for sure had it in 2004 since that was a selling point to the game and it had a whole kung-fu system where you sort of needed it but I think you could shoot your own legs to no penalty in the first Halo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Phew, not a missed mechanic, just a visual thing. I'm curious now what the first FPS to have that is. I know Breakdown for sure had it in 2004 since that was a selling point to the game but I think you could shoot your own legs to no penalty in the first Halo.

Vietcong was the first I noticed it in.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

The Kins posted:

Honestly, probably not, because the long timeframe between single player games likely means that their next one, whatever it is, will have an unassailable level of expectations upon it that will result in it unleashing a level of internet anger that would make Spore, No Man's Sky and Fallout 76 all look like farts in a bathtub in comparison, regardless of final product quality. So it goes.

There's also the bit where single player games are crazy 'spensive to build and players barely even start them, let alone finish and replay them. As an example using Steam achievement stats: 17% of Portal 2 players didn't even play past the intro sequence, over a quarter of them didn't finish the tutorial, and under half managed to reach the ending! That's a lot of content to make and not get seen by the majority of players! The days of the big flashy scripted corridor shooter seem to be numbered on account of the sheer amount of work needed to make all those set-pieces and scripted events to a modern Ultra-HD standard.

As far as action games and FPSes go, I suspect that particularly ambitious indies will try and make their mark on that style of gameplay using visual stylisation to make up for a lack of budget, while the mega-studios will probably veer more towards systems-driven sandboxes ala the Assassins Creeds and Skyrims of the world... or... just not making single player games. That's an option that seems to have worked out decently for COD this year...

as long as online gaming's completely toxic there'll always be a market for singleplayer games.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

That was such an amazing game, very tense atmosphere. Well, with the exception of the "Tunnel Rat" mission where you had to crawl through Vietcong tunnels.

Notably also the first major game to have "modern" iron sights (before Call of Duty!).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So in my cursory searching the first FPS with legs you can see (and shoot!) was Halo 1 in 2001. We just need to see if we can find an earlier title than that and it'll probably be our first because the gap in time between Quake's free-look revolution and Halo is like 5 years which isn't all that much time unless we count games where you pilot a robot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Jurassic Park Trespasser is the earliest example I can thinking of... although, of course, that didn't have any legs at all, your "body" was just a floating pair of breasts with a single long, gibbon-like arm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

Jurassic Park Trespasser is the earliest example I can thinking of... although, of course, that didn't have any legs at all, your "body" was just a floating pair of breasts with a single long, gibbon-like arm.

Yeah, I'm thinking we need an entire body to count, otherwise games where your gun animation shows your arms in it would count.

God Trespasser was a weird game I type as my arm flails and the shotgun wiggles like I'm swinging a measuring stick.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Lambert posted:

That was such an amazing game, very tense atmosphere. Well, with the exception of the "Tunnel Rat" mission where you had to crawl through Vietcong tunnels.

Notably also the first major game to have "modern" iron sights (before Call of Duty!).

All I remember is being unable to hit anything with my gun, having more luck running up and stabbing the poor AI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird, I don't recall every seeing my own character's legs in L4D/L4D2. Was it there from the beginning?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Lambert posted:

Operation Flashpoint cries in the corner.

Barudak posted:

So in my cursory searching the first FPS with legs you can see (and shoot!) was Halo 1 in 2001. We just need to see if we can find an earlier title than that and it'll probably be our first because the gap in time between Quake's free-look revolution and Halo is like 5 years which isn't all that much time unless we count games where you pilot a robot.

You can't see you legs in halo 1 out side of a cutscene but you can shoot them.
I can't remember the name but there are some janky 3d first person games where you could see your legs because you were just a camera stuck on the model like opflashpoint.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Flannelette posted:

As far as I remember it, the iron sights in Operation Flashpoint didn't work and look the way they do in modern games. Vietcong had the first modern implementation, including the "peeking above cover when in iron sights" mechanic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird, I don't recall every seeing my own character's legs in L4D/L4D2. Was it there from the beginning?
It was in L4D1, at least on PC (never played the 360 port). It was removed in L4D2, which is what kicked off this topic.

Flannelette posted:

OpFlash was a weird game. I'll have to revisit it at some point.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I remember playing some demo that had it, a sort of first person Tomb Raider. It came on a magazine cover CD.

Edit: Here it is, Montezuma's Return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVHbwSdoRv8

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Icept posted:

I remember playing some demo that had it, a sort of first person Tomb Raider. It came on a magazine cover CD.

Definitely have legs and arms, torso is inconclusive. This is 1998 so now we have an itty-bitty window of time to look for an earlier game.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

It was in L4D1, at least on PC (never played the 360 port). It was removed in L4D2, which is what kicked off this topic.
OpFlash was a weird game. I'll have to revisit it at some point.

Make sure you use the original release codemasters voice recordings, all the re release had to use a new one since they didn't have the rights to it and they're far worse.

Dark forces 2 had legs I think.

Lambert posted:

As far as I remember it, the iron sights in Operation Flashpoint didn't work and look the way they do in modern games. Vietcong had the first modern implementation, including the "peeking above cover when in iron sights" mechanic.

Yeah opflash was just a 2d image that locked the gun to the center of the screen.
There might have been a n64 game that had proper 3d iron sights but I can't remember and I guess trespasser had more realistic iron sights than any other game.
Oh MGS2 had 3d iron sights and hidden and dangerous.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 6, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Make sure you use the original release codemasters voice recordings, all the re release had to use a new one since they didn't have the rights to it and they're far worse.
Is there a mod to restore these?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icept posted:

I remember playing the hell out of this demo, and being blown away by being able to see your legs.

Also, to whomever said you couldn't see your legs in Halo 1, did you play some beta version? You absolutely could see them.

Edit:

Flannelette posted:

You can't see you legs in halo 1 out side of a cutscene but you can shoot them.
I can't remember the name but there are some janky 3d first person games where you could see your legs because you were just a camera stuck on the model like opflashpoint.

Yeah, aside from this not being correct, as far as my somewhat clear memory of Halo 1 is concerned, this also makes no sense.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 6, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember playing the hell out of this demo, and being blown away by being able to see your legs.

Also, to whomever said you couldn't see your legs in Halo 1, did you play some beta version? You absolutely could see them.

Edit:

Yeah, aside from this not being correct, as far as my somewhat clear memory of Halo 1 is concerned, this also makes no sense.

Although I can't boot it up to check anymore I'm pretty sure you could only see them right at the start then they were gone for the rest but you could still hit yourself if you ran backwards and shot the ground.
Being able to see legs in halo 2 was something new they hyped I'm pretty sure.

The Kins posted:

Is there a mod to restore these?
If there is I've never seen it

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 6, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Killzone 1 is where I remember noticing a first person body for the first time. It was nice that all four characters (and the two different MP teams, though without going and checking, the ISA side might have just used used Templar's body) had different legs and stuff.

...did Breakdown have legs? I can't even remember now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

...did Breakdown have legs? I can't even remember now.

Breakdown has everything, including moving the camera realistically when you do slide kicks, uppercuts, and most nauseatingly flips. Seriously, don't use those moves in combat because you will get wrecked as you try to re-orientate yourself.

You can even see the pouches on your vest and stuff other games skip over too, and when you're in front of a reflective surface or not in your own body you can see the model they use for you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Breakdown has everything, including moving the camera realistically when you do slide kicks, uppercuts, and most nauseatingly flips. Seriously, don't use those moves in combat because you will get wrecked as you try to re-orientate yourself.

You can even see the pouches on your vest and stuff other games skip over too, and when you're in front of a reflective surface or not in your own body you can see the model they use for you.

gently caress yes. I need to fix my Xbox controller, I think.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

First time I remember seeing body presence in an first person game was Montezuma's Return, which was 1998.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Do robo bunny legs count in Jumping flash, '95?

For OpFlashpoint:
It seems like the Arma: Cold war assault has the original voice work in youtube vidoes so doesn't need a mod.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 6, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Tribes 2 had a visible player body (because it had an optional 3rd person mode and it used the same character model for both). I'm assuming Tribes 1 did too but I don't know for sure.

Edit: vvv I believe so yeah.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 6, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DatonKallandor posted:

Tribes 2 had a visible player body (because it had an optional 3rd person mode and it used the same character model for both). I'm assuming Tribes 1 did too but I don't know for sure.

Did it use the same animations for both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I give Skyrim a lot of passes because I know it's not a perfect game, and it's good for what I want it to be, but it's annoying to not have your body cast a shadow when in first-person, but then suddenly it does when you switch to 3rd person. :colbert: And yes, I know why this is.