Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Every time someone orders furniture "distressed", the seller should hit them with a chain instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

cakesmith handyman posted:

I watched a furniture restoration program where the workshop was full of old craftsmen refinishing real antique furniture with incredible care. One customer wanted their mahogany campaign chest "distressed" so they put the inexperienced shop idiot on it and he did his best but between being an idiot and using the top as a workbench for his tools he accidentally achieved "distressed" perfectly.

The frequent cuts to the old men in the background pulling faces were the highlight.

do you remember the name?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Javid posted:

What's funny is that things have so flipped that a poor person's house isn't gonna have rough-hewn woodwork anymore, it's gonna have plastic and pressboard with fake wood patterns on it.

They are called mobile homes, xir.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I actually distress furniture quite often and it is occasionally an essential part of the finishing process. Doing antique repair and reproductions often requires matching a few new chairs to a bunch of old ones or one end table to its mate. They need to look the same which means artificially aging the new pieces to match the old. A bunch of old keys and dark paste wax usually does the trick. Some people much prefer the look of antiques to new furniture, and if something is already distressed a bit, a little ding or scratch doesn’t show up like it would if it were the only scratch on your brand new shiny piece of furniture.

Old fashioned, old money especially doesn’t seem to like things that look too shiny and new. That being said, all the restoration hardware, faux reclaimed wood poo poo can go on the bonfire.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

underage at the vape shop posted:

do you remember the name?

I'm sure it was on discovery, I was watching it at my parents.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1051233618851434496

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

That killed a Doctors Without Borders doc a few years back, got electrocuted in a shower.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

quote:

The woman is Lee Miller, the only female combat photographer in Europe during World War Two. She is pictured in Hitler’s Munich apartment on April 30, 1945, by fellow war correspondent David Scherman.The image is one of the highlights of a new exhibition at London’s Imperial War Museum, “Lee Miller: A Woman’s War.”

“This was actually taken on the day that Hitler committed suicide, although Lee Miller didn’t know that until after the event,” said Hilary Roberts, research curator of photography at the museum, who put together the show.

Shortly before, Miller had toured and photographed the Dachau concentration camp. She and Scherman had then made their way to Munich, by this time under U.S. occupation, and headed for Hitler’s apartment, where they spent the night with a group of other people, the curator said.

“The key objects in the photograph are Lee Miller’s boots on Hitler’s bath mat, which when she arrived was pristine white, and when she left was covered with dirt from Dachau,” she said.

Miller walked away with more than just a souvenir snapshot of herself in Hitler’s tub. She also filched a few of his mistress Eva Braun’s personal belongings, which are on view in the exhibition: a smiling portrait of Braun, her powder compact, her large Art Deco-style perfume bottle, and her four-piece rose-patterned desk accessory set.

Before the war, Miller was a model, a Surrealist photographer, and a fashion photographer.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That is a colourised photo, so the green may or may not be accurate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is the hose hanging alongside the tub rather than at one end?

I hope there’s a shower curtain out of frame on the left.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Why is the hose hanging alongside the tub rather than at one end?

Serious question: why wouldn't it be?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Serious question: why wouldn't it be?

America?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The faucet is behind her head in the middle, too.

I wish we had that here. Then you could A) lay in the tub in either direction and B) reach the faucet knobs without a lot of sloshing around. I'm guessing there are plumbing logistical reasons why we don't do that here though I can't think of any.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think its because most of the time in the US, you have a wall-mounted showerhead as well as the bath taps, and you basically have to put the showerhead at the end or not spraying water all over the place becomes more of an issue.Then it's just easier to mount everything in line on the same side. If you don't have a showerhead, then you just put the taps wherever. It looks like that as one of the hand-held showerheads, which I feel like are much more common in other countries and relatively unusual in the US as a regular fitting.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ashcans posted:

I think its because most of the time in the US, you have a wall-mounted showerhead as well as the bath taps, and you basically have to put the showerhead at the end or not spraying water all over the place becomes more of an issue.Then it's just easier to mount everything in line on the same side. If you don't have a showerhead, then you just put the taps wherever. It looks like that as one of the hand-held showerheads, which I feel like are much more common in other countries and relatively unusual in the US as a regular fitting.

Also the bathroom is designed with a “wet wall” that has all of the plumbing in it which makes coordination easier. Which is why the toilet is usually next to the shower where the controls are even though the shower would be a lot easier to use if it was flipped to the opposite side!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/Eq1V1n2.gifv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

schmug posted:

America?

Oh I thought it was Hitler's bath in Germany :doh:

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

I find it perfectly cromulent that Hitler had a precariously placed photo of himself, in the bathtub.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Photographers sometimes move props around to make for better photographs :eng101:

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh I thought it was Hitler's bath in Germany :doh:

Germany isn't in America. silly

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

GotLag posted:

Photographers sometimes move props around to make for better photographs :eng101:

Those bastards.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

schmug posted:

Germany isn't in America. silly

Eh we have a Berlin, Wisconsin. Close enough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GreenNight posted:

Eh we have a Berlin, Wisconsin. Close enough.

Also a Berlin, Georgia. Is the Wisconsin one pronounced burr-len?

Also about a million others: http://meganelainepauly.com/how-many-berlins-are-there-in-the-u-s/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Berlin, Wisconsin is more likely to have people drinking tons of beer and eating bratwurst, so it's closer to the German spirit.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Haifisch posted:

Berlin, Wisconsin is more likely to have people drinking tons of beer and eating bratwurst, so it's closer to the German spirit.

Meanwhile, Berlin Township, Knox County, Ohio, is...rural Ohio. :geno:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I remember an old episode of The Furniture Guys on PBS back in the early 90s where they distressed a table by hitting it with a lot of different poo poo, including a big chain and a sausage.

Extremely disrespectful to the sausage, imo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/zCmi3Y1.gifv

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Is that supposed to be a toilet and the water cascades down? I mean what the hell are we looking at here? Other than a screw up of course.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's the latest in fire safety: by storing water inside the wall, if it catches on fire it'll self-extinguish. Plus the water adds thermal mass to regulate building temperatures.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I just realized that is just meant to be the button for the closed toilet below. Thought it was some kind of fancy waterfall for getting rid of waste, like the bowel part was showing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zil posted:

I just realized that is just meant to be the button for the closed toilet below. Thought it was some kind of fancy waterfall for getting rid of waste, like the bowel part was showing.

Workaround: piss on the wall

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Workaround: piss on the wall

I've been practicing for this moment my whole life

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zil posted:

like the bowel part was showing.

Rectal prolapse is no laughing matter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8iZS4oHIyc

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Tenant complaint: phone ringer no longer working, strange hissing sound instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why isnt this non stop screaming from the moment the cover is opened.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

because you have to have somewhere to go if the roaches all fly at you at once.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

You'd open your mouth under those circumstances?
That's like a horror movie teen level blunder.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Synthbuttrange posted:

From the sound of it, because the person filming is wearing a breathing mask, likely due to the stench of someplace that infested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If I recall, that's in Australia as well. I'm sure some roaches are the least of their problems.