Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Big Data posted:

The Book of Job is written perfectly as a Greek Play/Drama. So whatever the actual origin, someone intentionally adapted it to that form. It's been years since I studied it that way in a literature class, so I can't give you the particulars, but you have the main Character Job, like Oedipus or Creon, then the Choragos and Chorus, taunting him and interacting with him to get his responses, etc. It was pretty cool to study the story that way and see how well laid out it is with an Introduction, Rising Action, Climax, Trip to the Underworld (when he is all diseased), Falling Action and Conclusion with even Deus ex Machina throughout, as God and Satan wander through.

Certainly those of us who are older can identify with Job as more and more bad thing befall him, as Satan tries to get him to curse God and get it over with. Yet Job refuses and is lifted up and saved at the end.

Does God play with us like that - as a mere game? The Greeks though Zeus, Hera and the others did that all the time. Earth was just a chess board of pieces for them to play with. I would hope not - but I often fear so. For that reason, some years back, I simply decided to no longer to play.

Would God actually converse and bargain with Satan like that, the way Zeus would with Hades or Ares? Since Satan was expelled and cursed, no Christian would actually believe so - God cannot look upon Evil with any form of acceptance.

But it is an interesting story showing how Life might be a grueling Test which we are all expected to pass. Faith without Works in Death. To endure to the Bitter End no matter what. That's pretty tough...

The Book of Job is a fable to teach the oppressed not to struggle against their restraints. The story of Solomon folds into it well enough with strong anti-intellectual sentiments. I'm not surprised how well traveled and leaned on those two chunks of the bible are, in the good ol' U.S. dixiecrat south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

5er posted:

The Book of Job is a fable to teach the oppressed not to struggle against their restraints. The story of Solomon folds into it well enough with strong anti-intellectual sentiments. I'm not surprised how well traveled and leaned on those two chunks of the bible are, in the good ol' U.S. dixiecrat south.

Eh. I would say the bigger takeaway from Job is that it explicitly denounces the (not uncommon) theology that if something bad is happening to you, it’s because of something you did to anger God.

Sometimes He just needs a little extra beer money.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

5er posted:

Good, wise Solomon who proposes cutting babies in half, the best example of modern 'common sense'-- feigning extreme violence towards an innocent to prompt a minor response. There's surely no other way of determining whose baby it is.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

jokes posted:

Good, wise Solomon who proposes cutting babies in half, the best example of modern 'common sense'-- feigning extreme violence towards an innocent to prompt a minor response. There's surely no other way of determining whose baby it is.

Yeah, he should have just used 23 and me idk why were the ancients so dumb :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are a lot of ways to determine if someone just had a baby without even talking to witnesses but yeah best way would probably be to simply threaten cutting it in half.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That baby had like 80% chance of dying before adulthood anyways. Testing maternal love/familial attachment is as good as any method short of medical technologies those people lacked.

Idk what's the point in applying modern moral outlooks on like, what, early Iron age slave owning society.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

christmas boots posted:

Eh. I would say the bigger takeaway from Job is that it explicitly denounces the (not uncommon) theology that if something bad is happening to you, it’s because of something you did to anger God.

Sometimes He just needs a little extra beer money.

The takeaway you point out reinforces the social control goal, we're both right here.

jokes posted:

To ground level citizens who don't worry about reconciling the contradictory postures of claiming to believe in Christian benevolence and unconditional love, *and* nuclear proliferation along with the military industrial complex to secure their exceptional way of life, if manipulating terror at deep, mammalian levels gets poo poo done with results that suit their bias, it's all good in the 'hood.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What's wrong with social control anyways? Unless you are a really hardline anarcho-primitivist, you have to admit that wide ranging social control is a vital part of civilization. It's what culture is, really, and organized religion has proven to be a drat good way to spread it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

jokes posted:

There are a lot of ways to determine if someone just had a baby without even talking to witnesses but yeah best way would probably be to simply threaten cutting it in half.

Yeah, but they had both just had babies and one baby died.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Colonel Cancer posted:

What's wrong with social control anyways? Unless you are a really hardline anarcho-primitivist, you have to admit that wide ranging social control is a vital part of civilization. It's what culture is, really, and organized religion has proven to be a drat good way to spread it.

How social control is implemented, affects its efficacy. Fear-mongering is a short-term patch that always busts, and manipulating peoples' fears and encouraging ignorance has severe problems for establishing a trustworthy justice system. That's the pattern you can pull out of history.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

5er posted:

How social control is implemented, affects its efficacy. Fear-mongering is a short-term patch that always busts, and manipulating peoples' fears and encouraging ignorance has severe problems for establishing a trustworthy justice system. That's the pattern you can pull out of history.

I'm no bible scholar but the Solomon baby story seems to be about judicial impartiality and achieving justice thru available means and not empty fearmongering.

I mean the Bible has plenty of the latter lol but not in that particular story.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I tried the Old Testament adultery test on my wife. She died, proving her guilt. Now I am being accused of murder. Can I use the Bible verses to prove my innocence? The courthouse I am going to has the Ten Commandments out front if that helps.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
What ever happened to Lazarus? He got raised from the dead, smelled really bad and then????

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hot take: the Bible sucks??!!!!!!!

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

twit666 posted:

What ever happened to Lazarus? He got raised from the dead, smelled really bad and then????

He digs a pit and just kinda hangs out in it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm rather amazed at the success of the Bible considering the cast is made up of mostly unknowns.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

Human sacrifice was also forbidden. The whole point of the story where Abraham is told to kill his son for god and then at the end he’s like syke!!! What do you think I’m an rear end in a top hat??? It was supposed to show how progressive the new god was.

Numbers 31:25-40 posted:

And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Take the sum of the prey that was taken, both of man and of beast ... And divide the prey into two parts; between them that took the war upon them, who went out to battle, and between all the congregation: And levy a tribute unto the Lord ... one soul of five hundred, both of the persons, and of the beeves, and of the asses, and of the sheep: Take it of their half, and give it unto Eleazar the priest, for an heave offering of the Lord. ... And Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the Lord commanded Moses. And the booty ... was ... thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him ... of which the LORD's tribute was thirty and two persons. 

Heave offerings were burnt and eaten, btw. Not saying they ate the virgin girls, but if they neither burnt nor ate them, it wouldn't be a heave offering in any sense.

The Bible, as it does with many topics, flip flops a lot on human sacrifice. It's almost as if it were a collection of writings by different people from different places, all written and assembled at different times.

In general, though, if there are prohibitions on how you can treat a person, "person" usually specifically means a Hebrew male.

This is why the defenses of Biblical slavery being different than the modern idea of it doesn't work. Yeah, the Bible does treat slavery as more of an indentured servitude, if the slave is a Hebrew male. If not, you can treat them as brutally as you wish.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 9, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

twit666 posted:

According to Eastern Orthodox canon, he went east and never smiled again because of what he saw in the underworld.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bible posted:

Heave offerings were burnt and eaten, btw. Not saying they ate the virgin girls, but if they neither burnt nor ate them, it wouldn't be a heave offering in any sense.

Jepthah also promises to offer the first thing he sees from his home as a burnt offering if God grants him victory in battle. He wins, and the first thing he sees is his daughter. Some people say that he "sacrificed his relationship" and gives her to the temple instead of an actual blood sacrifice, but that fall flat for me. Plus giving your daughter into servitude against her will is pretty hosed up anyway.

But yeah, the Bible goes back and forth a lot.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

The Bible posted:

in my translation these are called wave offerings and this was not my assumption of what that entailed

The Bible
May 8, 2010

lol but seriously I posted:

in my translation these are called wave offerings and this was not my assumption of what that entailed

Ah, so then the girls simply became the property of the priests.

That's... better. I guess.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

The Bible posted:

i mean i don't want to pressure you but i assume of the two of us you are the one which would know

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bible posted:

If given the choice between death or being a sex slave I'd choose death.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

lol but seriously I posted:

i mean i don't want to pressure you but i assume of the two of us you are the one which would know

This stuff has been translated, edited, retranslated and reedited so many times, you can basically choose what you want it to mean simply by switching to a different translation.

Who What Now posted:

If given the choice between death or being a sex slave I'd choose death.

Hey now, it doesn't say they were sex slaves.

Those priests probably just had those girls cleaning and cooking.

That's the argument my youth pastor gave me for the virgin (and explicitly ONLY virgin) girls "taken" by soldiers in war, at least.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 9, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

The Bible posted:

This stuff has been translated, edited, retranslated and reedited so many times, you can basically choose what you want it to mean simply by switching to a different translation.

haaaaaaay. God is in the details. Therefore All the translations of Number 4:6 say that god likes the color blue.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/numbers/4-6-compare.html

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Bible posted:

Hey now, it doesn't say they were sex slaves.

Those priests probably just had those girls cleaning and cooking.

That checks out. I bet they were pissed all the virgin boys were executed though, going from modern priests they'd definitely had some sex slaves choir boys then.

ED: Great AV/Name for the thread

SardonicTyrant posted:

According to Eastern Orthodox canon, he went east and never smiled again because of what he saw in the underworld.

East, always to the East

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

The problem with social control is the ones in control do not have your best interests in mind most of the time and the ones that DO have your interests in mind are so full of authoritarian poo poo that they're actually worse.

The problem with specific RELIGIOUS social control is it gets out of check, i.e. all the old people who don't care about global warming because Revelations means we can't kill everyone, ergo there is no danger

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

That baby had like 80% chance of dying before adulthood anyways. Testing maternal love/familial attachment is as good as any method short of medical technologies those people lacked.

The funniest thing about that story is why the gently caress would the arguing other woman want half a baby? Seems like they'd both found that outcome pretty unacceptable.

In fact it makes more sense the thief would cave first because of pure :wtf: factor.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

haaaaaaay. God is in the details. Therefore All the translations of Number 4:6 say that god likes the color blue.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/numbers/4-6-compare.html

Similarly,

Leviticus 18:22, ESV Translation posted:

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

It is common in Judaism to read that lesbian sex is ok because the Bible only specifically forbids men having sex with men, but never specifically forbids women having sex with women.

I've also seen it explained that this verse is actually telling the priests not to seduce husbands away from wives, and isn't really a condemnation of homosexuality, but of adultery, but apparently only if they are causing the men to cheat. It would seem to have been ok to seduce the women from the men, given how specific the verse seems. Idk.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

The Bible posted:

Similarly,

It is common in Judaism to read that lesbian sex is ok because the Bible only specifically forbids men having sex with men, but never specifically forbids women having sex with women.

I've also seen it explained that this verse is actually telling the priests not to seduce husbands away from wives, and isn't really a condemnation of homosexuality, but of adultery, but apparently only if they are causing the men to cheat. It would seem to have been ok to seduce the women from the men, given how specific the verse seems. Idk.

Wait, no...that is taken things super-literally! It's all 'if man lay down with another dude as with a chick it is an abomination' or whatever. Read between the lines, man.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bible posted:

Similarly,

It's actually saying you're not allowed to gently caress men in the vagina. Which is transphobic, rather than homophobic.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Who What Now posted:

It's actually saying you're not allowed to gently caress men in the vagina. Which is transphobic, rather than homophobic.

There is no such thing as transphobia.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Vato posted:

Wait, no...that is taken things super-literally! It's all 'if man lay down with another dude as with a chick it is an abomination' or whatever. Read between the lines, man.

I don't know, it isn't my argument, just one I've seen a lot.

It isn't too hard to believe, though. Women weren't really seen as much more than livestock in those times, anyway. Who cares what the cows do when the men are working? As long as they provide meat and milk when necessary.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

The Bible posted:

I don't know, it isn't my argument, just one I've seen a lot.

It isn't too hard to believe, though. Women weren't really seen as much more than livestock in those times, anyway. Who cares what the cows do when the men are working? As long as they provide meat and milk when necessary.

For someone named The Bible, you're pretty cool...kinda makes you wonder....

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wouldn't he have seen how great Heaven was though? Or did Jesus bring back a guy who went to Hell (oops?)

The Bible posted:

Yeah so which translation are you?

Blazing Ownager posted:

East, always to the East

Unless it's a Journey to the West. Or Manifest Destiny~

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Wouldn't he have seen how great Heaven was though? Or did Jesus bring back a guy who went to Hell (oops?)

Hell wasn't even a thing until the New Testament. Heaven was; the Second Book of Enoch mentions seven Heavens, later changed to ten for whatever reason.

Pretty much every time Jesus references Hell, it is through parable. This is one of those things modern believers decide to take literally despite having good reason not to. It was a parable. They were expressly meant as teaching tools, not literal stories, but Hell is a very useful tool for fear, so it was heavily emphasized. Various Popes have flipped back and forth on how literal it is meant to be, presumably causing Hell to blink in and out of existence every few millennia or however that is supposed to work, what with Popes being infallible.

The times you see Hell mentioned in the OT, it is actually from the Hebrew word Sheol, which is the land of the dead, where everyone goes, righteous or not. You lived, died, and went to Sheol, just as everyone else did. Only a rare few, such as Elijah and Enoch, "ascended" to wherever God lived.

We get "Hell" from a variety of sources, but mainly from Greek translations of "Sheol" as "Hades", which was understood to be basically the same Hades as in the Greek pantheon. Gehenna was the section where the evil are tormented. Dark, filled with flame, the damned are tortured eternally, etc.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Why are all the pictures of Jesus and Mary white they weren’t white

Also thank god my family were bad Catholics and I was baptized and we didn’t go to church, did do first communion no confirmation in my mid thirties now was prime for molesting age ty mom and dad for being lovely Catholics

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

Why are all the pictures of Jesus and Mary white they weren’t white

I mean, come on, you really think Americans are going to worship a black guy?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
They could just become mormons problem solved switch one lovely religion with another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funniest thing about that story is why the gently caress would the arguing other woman want half a baby? Seems like they'd both found that outcome pretty unacceptable.

In fact it makes more sense the thief would cave first because of pure :wtf: factor.
Idk I think he appeals to the maternal love or whatever. Solomon figures that the woman who wants the baby out of spite doesn't really care what happens to it but the true mother would care enough about it to let it go if the other option was death.

As far as most biblical parables go, this one's pretty good.