Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/239290/budget-of-the-us-navy-and-the-us-marine-corps/

Marines make do with more moneys than all but 12 countries entire armed forces

We are not talking about other countries.

We are talking the other armed services of the US. From 2017's budget.

US Army: 148,033,950,000
US Air Force: 166,879,239,000
US Navy: 164,861,078,000

From the US Navy number, 23 billion is for the USMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Then again, the US Army is like 1,000,000 men or something in total (I think about 400,000 are active duty, the rest being reserves and National Guard) and has heavy artillery and armor divisions and poo poo. I imagine the Army has light infantry formations as well, are those much more expensive to field and maintain than equivalent Marine formations?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The photo thing really through me. That seems odd even for Hitler.

It was almost certainly a prop placed their by Miller, probably the statue as well. I can just see her now looking at the tub and thinking "hmm, needs more HItler."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

The rest of the USMC gets by with less than their army equivalents. They deliberately run things on the cheap (again, comparatively) to help reduce the calls to get rid of the USMC and make it part of the army.

Occasionally they get some nice, better stuff. The SMAW was better than anything the Army had when the USMC adopted it, and the Marines were running around with the M47 Dragon II while the Army was still stuck with unupgraded Dragons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You know, I read a book once where Congress passed legislation declaring that one of the four major branches of the US military would be abolished in five years, so the Navy built a planet-killer bomb to threaten to detonate if Congress tried to make them the loser. Then the Air Force, Army, and Marines all took turns stealing it.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Randarkman posted:

Then again, the US Army is like 1,000,000 men or something in total (I think about 400,000 are active duty, the rest being reserves and National Guard) and has heavy artillery and armor divisions and poo poo. I imagine the Army has light infantry formations as well, are those much more expensive to field and maintain than equivalent Marine formations?

US Army is 471513 Active, with 336879 total in the National Guard, 190699 in the Army Reserve, so yeah not that far off, so yeah like a million or so.

The USMC is 184427 Active, with 38473 in the Reserve. Or lets say 220,000.

So the USMC is 1/4 the size of the US Army. But its budget is 1/6th the size.

I keep forgetting about the Coast Guard too. Those poor bastards have a budget of around 11 billion dollars.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cythereal posted:

You know, I read a book once where Congress passed legislation declaring that one of the four major branches of the US military would be abolished in five years, so the Navy built a planet-killer bomb to threaten to detonate if Congress tried to make them the loser. Then the Air Force, Army, and Marines all took turns stealing it.

And the whole time the USCG was still doing it's job...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

LatwPIAT posted:

Occasionally they get some nice, better stuff. The SMAW was better than anything the Army had when the USMC adopted it, and the Marines were running around with the M47 Dragon II while the Army was still stuck with unupgraded Dragons.

The M39 and the M27 are nice rifles too, the Army has neither.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

US Army is 471513 Active, with 336879 total in the National Guard, 190699 in the Army Reserve, so yeah not that far off, so yeah like a million or so.

The USMC is 184427 Active, with 38473 in the Reserve. Or lets say 220,000.

So the USMC is 1/4 the size of the US Army. But its budget is 1/6th the size.

Yes, but you should probably also account for the Army having a much greater number of heavy equipment compared to the Marines. What I was wondering, was if a Marine formation is really that much more cheap to field than a lightly equipped Army formation? Then again the Marines probably have some pretty expensive poo poo themselves, amphibious assault equipment and such probably doesn't come too cheap, so maybe they still compare favorably.

e: Also, I reckon that with the Army it's likely that the active service troops consume a far greater proportion of the budget than the National Guard and reserve units, so most of those funds is paying for the 470,000 dudes and their stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

EvilMerlin posted:

Rub-a-dub-dub. A picture of the head Nazi in a tub...

Imagine that bit with Buffalo Bill with Silence Of The Lambs but in German and it makes more sense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EvilMerlin posted:

And the whole time the USCG was still doing it's job...

Yup.

IIRC the end boss of that book was an Army general who had defected to a domestic terrorist group that had merged with a Japanese doomsday cult and wanted to detonate the planet-killer to destroy the world for giggles.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

The M39 and the M27 are nice rifles too, the Army has neither.

Yes, the Army has a different marksman's rifle made from the hollowed-out corpse of an M14...

The M27 is a really nice rifle, I'm not quite so sure it's a nice machine gun, though. (Though at least it's better suited for that role than the M16A2, eh US Army?)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Yes, but this is a rarity. The vast majority of USMC stuff is old former Army gear, and there is a long history of this.

Randarkman posted:

Then again the Marines probably have some pretty expensive poo poo themselves, amphibious assault equipment and such probably doesn't come too cheap, so maybe they still compare favorably.

There's a bit of slight-of-hand there, because most of the amphibious stuff is paid for by the navy. The ships and most of the landing craft - pretty much anything bigger than an AAV - are navy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cythereal posted:

Hmm, so which branches of the US military have nukes?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If the coast guard don't, then should anyone

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

bewbies posted:

One of the things you see consistently from the most successful pilots is that they tended to engage at very, very close range. Krupinski was particularly noted for this...he lost a bunch of planes to debris from a target that exploded right in front of him....he tried to be within 100 yards before he took a shot. He in turn was the one who taught Hartmann to get that close. Allied aces stood off a bit more, as their guns were a bit better suited for shooting at distance, but Gabreski and Malan were both advocates of 200 yard harmonization for wing guns.
German aces definitely had some of the longer ranged kills, both Marseille and Hartmann definitely managed to score some air kills from literal miles away. While not in their aircraft on that day. Against enemy aircraft that were down for maintenance in the British or Soviet logs. Yes, noble knights of the air, the German aces.

I think overall the engagement distances are likely to be longer than either gun cameras or pilot testimony would show because, in short, the vast majority of pilots weren't aces. You can look at the stuff you've quoted as "aces tended to shoot from relatively short range" but you can also look at it as "pilots that closed to very short range tended to become aces". I'm not going to go full SLA Marshall here but I suspect that a not insignificant number pilots went up, panicked, hosed off all of their ammo on a stupid deflection shot from 400m and then either went home or got killed by someone who was skilled enough to get close and brave enough to press the attack that far.

LatwPIAT posted:

The SMAW was better than anything the Army had when the USMC adopted it.
[Incandescent M67-related rage]

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Milo and POTUS posted:

If the coast guard don't, then should anyone

Neutron bombs kill the traffickers and leave the cocaine untouched.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

EvilMerlin posted:

My only point is that your frame of reference is insane. The marines got more money than the entire bundeswehr in 2010. I'm not saying they're wasteful, just that they're "making do" with a global top-15 budget.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FrangibleCover posted:

German aces definitely had some of the longer ranged kills, both Marseille and Hartmann definitely managed to score some air kills from literal miles away. While not in their aircraft on that day. Against enemy aircraft that were down for maintenance in the British or Soviet logs. Yes, noble knights of the air, the German aces.

I think overall the engagement distances are likely to be longer than either gun cameras or pilot testimony would show because, in short, the vast majority of pilots weren't aces. You can look at the stuff you've quoted as "aces tended to shoot from relatively short range" but you can also look at it as "pilots that closed to very short range tended to become aces". I'm not going to go full SLA Marshall here but I suspect that a not insignificant number pilots went up, panicked, hosed off all of their ammo on a stupid deflection shot from 400m and then either went home or got killed by someone who was skilled enough to get close and brave enough to press the attack that far.

Not that closely related but I once remember reading something along the about the Red Army Air Force in WWII, it was a quote that they "did not really train their pilots as throw them into combat and find out who had a talent for killing" (like most of the issues of the Red Army in WWII the possible lack of training, probably results from purges causing lack of trained officers, massive losses in 1941 and massive expansion of the armed forces from 1941 afterwards as well as a continued high casualty rate). Essentially what they did was put the greenest pilots into the fastest aircraft they had available, often they would also be accompanied by more experienced pilots. While the risk of getting shot down was high, particularly as training was often rushed, the fast aircraft often allowed them to get out of trouble, survivors, particularly survivors who had displayed aggression or gotten kills were then transferred into other units who typically used slower but more agile planes.

My only point is that your frame of reference is insane. The marines got more money than the entire bundeswehr in 2010. I'm not saying they're wasteful, just that they're "making do" with a global top-15 budget.

I'm pretty sure that unless given time to mobilize that very few Western European militaries are really worth much in the end. Maybe France's. But Germany as far as I'm aware is pretty much a non-factor except in terms of arms production and development.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm not saying they're wasteful, just that they're "making do" with a global top-15 budget.

The USMC had a Commandant back in the late 80's names Al Gray. He used to emphasize a "back to basics" approach. At one point in a speech he pointed to a nearby shiny new F/A-18 and said, "for the price of that one plane, we could buy every single Marine two drat good pairs of boots."

You could just hear the Air-Wingers flinch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m assuming the USMC isn’t actually strapped for boots like it’s 1942 Red Army.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m assuming the USMC isn’t actually strapped for boots like it’s 1942 Red Army.

He sold that plane so they're good now

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Obviously not, but I don't think that's a realistic standard of comparison.

(I will also point out that the USMC makes individual Marines buy their own boots. (And uniforms, etc.))

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cessna posted:

(I will also point out that the USMC makes individual Marines buy their own boots. (And uniforms, etc.))

What? Seriously?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Not that closely related but I once remember reading something along the about the Red Army Air Force in WWII, it was a quote that they "did not really train their pilots as throw them into combat and find out who had a talent for killing" (like most of the issues of the Red Army in WWII the possible lack of training, probably results from purges causing lack of trained officers, massive losses in 1941 and massive expansion of the armed forces from 1941 afterwards as well as a continued high casualty rate). Essentially what they did was put the greenest pilots into the fastest aircraft they had available, often they would also be accompanied by more experienced pilots. While the risk of getting shot down was high, particularly as training was often rushed, the fast aircraft often allowed them to get out of trouble, survivors, particularly survivors who had displayed aggression or gotten kills were then transferred into other units who typically used slower but more agile planes.

I'm... not sure about this. Like, I don't think the VVS really had the range of aircraft to make this decision, unless they were transferring veteran pilots out of Yaks and into I-16s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Randarkman posted:

What? Seriously?
Market-based solutions for logistics!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FrangibleCover posted:

The M67 is not a terrible weapon, but by 1966 the only thing it has going for it compared to what's available on the international market is the canister round. By 1984... OK so by 1984 much hasn't actually changed, but everyone else are playing catch-up to the Swedes and the Swiss have figured out how to squeeze the same kind of performance out of superbazooka-knockoffs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hey thread. Been a long time. Been working on a new infodump that TBH I may be showing people here ahead of time as a bastard peer review

But I have questions in the meantime. I've gotten myself a temporary job at a museum, and my main purpose is to scan a large run of newspapers and turn them into a searchable archive. So far the museum has gotten me an external HD, a Scansnap scanner that has many neat but unknown to me features, and a laptop. I'm now at the point where I just wing it

The ultimate goal, as I've said, is to turn these scanned PDFs into a database that is searchable. While PDF seems likely for the actual files, I know nothing about databases. What should the museum be using? Also, for putting together newspapers, the scanner seems slightly problematic as it cannot do a full length page at once. Will this scanner automatically mash images together into pages for me, or is that another bit of software, or is that even a thing?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

There are also more US Marines than members of the entire bundeswehr (all branches).

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Imagine that bit with Buffalo Bill with Silence Of The Lambs but in German and it makes more sense.

I just snorted green tea out my nose...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

Obviously not, but I don't think that's a realistic standard of comparison.

Well to be honest all Officers are required to buy their own uniforms in all branches, unless they are rapid assigned to a duty post where the uniform is different and then they are issued the common utility uniform.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

EvilMerlin posted:

There are also more US Marines than members of the entire bundeswehr (all branches).

It is kinda humbling when you realize that the Marines are by themselves one of the largest militaries on earth. I think they also outnumber the IDF or if you prefer the entire enlistment of the Canadian Forces.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm... not sure about this. Like, I don't think the VVS really had the range of aircraft to make this decision, unless they were transferring veteran pilots out of Yaks and into I-16s

I'm not quite sure I remember where I read it, but I'll see if I can track it down and find out what the source was. That said the VVS operated quite a number of different aircraft, especially fighter models, as they were supplied with quite a number of British and American fighter models as well as their domestic variants and used them alot, including some aircraft that were little used by the Western Allies, such as the P-39 Airacobra (which a number of Soviet aces flew, supposedly it was much better suited for the relatively low altitude engagements of the Eastern Front than the air theater of the Pacific), later improved models of this aircraft were produced solely for export to the Soviet Union.

e: Even France's entire armed forces is barely larger than the USMC, and that's the largest military in Western Europe. And they're reserves are only like 20,000 men.

EvilMerlin posted:

yeah they outnumber the Active IDF (but not combined active with reserves).

IDF has a pretty large reserve though. IIRC one of the things that really threw a wrench into the Arab countries' war effort in 1973 was that the IDF mobilized its reserves far faster than any of them had considered likely.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 7, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Nebakenezzer posted:

It is kinda humbling when you realize that the Marines are by themselves one of the largest militaries on earth. I think they also outnumber the IDF or if you prefer the entire enlistment of the Canadian Forces.

yeah they outnumber the Active IDF (but not combined active with reserves).

There are not even 100k active Canadian war fighters in all branches combined...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Randarkman posted:

What? Seriously?

Yes.

In Boot Camp you are issued a "full seabag," a full issue of uniforms and other associated crap like rank insignia, neckties, dress shoes, undershirts, etc. The cost of this is deducted from your pay and takes up most of what you were paid in boot camp. Once you get to the FMF you will quickly find that these uniforms aren't good enough and you will be de facto required to buy all new uniforms. Over time you will wear out your uniforms at a rapid pace, and will be required to replace them with your own pay. You are given a "Clothing Allowance" on an annual basis, but this barely covers a fraction of the expense; it's maybe good for a new pair of shoes or a new set of utilities per year.

You will also need inspection-quality uniforms to wear for personnel inspections every Monday morning (at minimum). It's a well-rehearsed drill - you come into work, put on your "inspection" uniform, your platoon commander looks at it and sees that it is shiny and that you have a new haircut, then you change into your work uniform and take your "inspection" uniform back to the dry cleaners to get it ready for next Monday.

You are also required to keep a full set of inspection-quality uniforms, which are to be brand new, perfectly labeled, pressed, and prepared - only to be hung in your wall-locker for inspections and never worn. And if you're thinking of going for a high-profile job like Drill Instructor/Recruiter/Embassy Guard plan on having multiple full sets of these uniforms for these billets.

All told I spend several thousand dollars on uniforms I never wore a single time over the course of my time in.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EvilMerlin posted:

Well to be honest all Officers are required to buy their own uniforms in all branches, unless they are rapid assigned to a duty post where the uniform is different and then they are issued the common utility uniform.

In the USMC this applies to everyone, officer and enlisted alike. And if you're required to have a new uniform, well, plan on paying for it.

The only "uniforms" I didn't pay for myself were (fuel-soaked) coveralls and (rare, maybe twice in my whole career) field replacements for desert cammies in war zones.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

In the USMC this applies to everyone, officer and enlisted alike. And if you're required to have a new uniform, well, plan on paying for it.

The only "uniforms" I didn't pay for myself were (fuel-soaked) coveralls and (rare, maybe twice in my whole career) field replacements for desert cammies in war zones.

Yeah I understand that.

It was the same for me, the only uniform I was even "given" was a set of chocolate chips during GW1.

REquired to buy my own ABU's/BDU's, two types of Service Dress, including the three-button coat, a mess dress uniform (worn if LUCKY once a year, and cost me well over 500 bucks), two different flight suits, three different flight jackets, a poo poo load of different covers... that doesn't cover any footwear (three different pairs of boots, two different shoes and the mess dress poo poo), all the insignia bullshit (which for mess dress and full service dress wasn't cheap).

But I feel for any enlisted, that has to buy uniforms, as they ain't cheap, and E-1 to E-6 don't get paid jack poo poo. More or less you poor bastards had to buy all the poo poo I did, and get paid 1/4 of what I did.

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 7, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cessna posted:

Yes, but this is a rarity. The vast majority of USMC stuff is old former Army gear, and there is a long history of this.

in that case isn't some of the USMC cost savings predicated on the Army's relatively profligate spending in the first place?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

Yes, the Army has a different marksman's rifle made from the hollowed-out corpse of an M14...

The M27 is a really nice rifle, I'm not quite so sure it's a nice machine gun, though. (Though at least it's better suited for that role than the M16A2, eh US Army?)

The M27 is basically the RPK being recycled decades later. It sounds like the Marines decided that the amount of fire an M16 with a 100-round drum can put out is enough to justify not carrying a 20-pound LMG with a box holding the same amount of ammo that can't use M16 magazines without jamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in that case isn't some of the USMC cost savings predicated on the Army's relatively profligate spending in the first place?

Yes. Don't tell anyone.