Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

How are Hellebron's Blood Voyages supposed to work? I expected it to be a reskinned Brayherd/Waagh, but I couldn't even give them war coordination targets or anything. The turn after it spawned, Alith Anor declared war on me and the Blood Voyage faction broke our alliance instead of joining... Now I can't seem to interact with them in any way and they are just slooowly sailing off in the general direction of Ulthuan I guess?
Blood Voyages are basically unguided projectiles aimed at general vicinity Alarielle. They're there mostly to serve as a distraction and make the inevitable Helf blob chase after them for a few turns to slow down their expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey thread, this Karak Kadrin game of mine has taken off and now I'm not sure what to do next. My army is at the green circle, having just capture Mount Gunbad. I'm not sure if I should send my army to 1, 2, or 3. Here is the map:

1. is Fight Greenskins
2. is Fight Other Greenskins (Black Venom?)
3. is gently caress With Vampires So Humans Can Better Kill Them

I'm worried if I do 1, I'll stop the "Dwarfs" faction from getting wrecked by the Greenskins, thus making it impossible to for me to confederate them. I could also cancel the NAP I have with "Dwarfs" and attack in 10 turns since they are weak.

p.s. its only turn 35 and I have all of that - I'm really happy with it because last time I tried Karak Kadrin I wasnt half this big at turn 42.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 9, 2019

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey thread, this Karak Kadrin game of mine has taken off and now I'm not sure what to do next. My army is at the green circle, having just capture Mount Gunbad. I'm not sure if I should send my army to 1, 2, or 3. Here is the map:

1. is Fight Greenskins
2. is Fight Other Greenskins (Black Venom?)
3. is gently caress With Vampires So Humans Can Better Kill Them

I'm worried if I do 1, I'll stop the "Dwarfs" faction from getting wrecked by the Greenskins, thus making it impossible to for me to confederate them. I could also cancel the NAP I have with "Dwarfs" and attack in 10 turns since they are weak.

p.s. its only turn 35 and I have all of that - I'm really happy with it because last time I tried Karak Kadrin I wasnt half this big at turn 42.

My experiences in mortal empires is that human lands always ends up overrun by vampires if the player doesn't help them. If you can send a hero west to make some alliances with empire factions and start beating down the vamps. Securing a port for trade would also be pretty great.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed. Help humans kill vamps because wow is their corruption annoying

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Castle Drakenhof has a gold mine if that helps your decision.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rhjamiz posted:

Agreed. Help humans kill vamps because wow is their corruption annoying
That and I can trade with humans. Because acquiring a trade good through trade with another country satisfies the requirement for some of the items you can forge, right?

Ravenfood posted:

Castle Drakenhof has a gold mine if that helps your decision.
The other cities in the province are owned by humans I am friendly with though, and I already have two gold mines, so I was thinking I would just let it go to the humans, plus there is the penalty because it is not preferred terrain.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That and I can trade with humans. Because acquiring a trade good through trade with another country satisfies the requirement for some of the items you can forge, right?

The other cities in the province are owned by humans I am friendly with though, and I already have two gold mines, so I was thinking I would just let it go to the humans, plus there is the penalty because it is not preferred terrain.

Yeah, as Karak Kadrin I just like to sack it repeatedly and hope the Empire can take it. They always seem to do poorly in my games though, like worse than Kislev every time

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, as Karak Kadrin I just like to sack it repeatedly and hope the Empire can take it.

If you have a def alliance with them you can set a war target on the settlement you want them to take, sack to destroy the defenses, and typically they will then conquer and claim the city. As Beastmen, I always ally with greenskins (typically skarsnik) and do this to prevent ruins from being backfilled.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm on turn 100 with Aranessa and I'm a little stuck, I've killed the other legendary pirates, acquired the pieces of eight and the sea shanties, and I'm working on the 5 (with fully upgraded insane sailing distance) or so turn journey to do her first storyline quest. I've dropped Pirate Coves in literally every worthwhile settlement on the map to the point where I'm nearly omniscient re: enemy moves, but I just don't have the financial base to really put together a proper kingdom. I mean I have like 60k but only 2k coming in a turn and being at negative for awhile is a pain in the butt - I guess I could pretty easily go ahead and build a land empire if I wanted, but that would be pretty hard at this stage, even with my ridiculously potent admirals sailing around with their Vampire ships and Rotting Leviathans/Deathshriek Terrorgheist/Necrofex Colossus armies.

I think I'm done with the Vsea faction for now, I really like the mechanics but I'm getting tired of sailing around and not building as much/managing a real empire/doing things with agents. I know I could be doing all that stuff but it doesn't feel incentivized to be fun in the same way it is with other factions for some reason. Now that I've experienced their whole roster I'm getting the hankering to play something else.

The only factions I've never played really are the Skaven, High Elves, and Lizardmen. I've tried them all but never got into them really, the Skaven food system irritated me and I didn't like how they felt like Undead but without the same flavor that I personally like (though I was probably using them wrong, I just always needed big reinforcement stacks of useless garbage) and I hated being stuck on Ulthuan with the High Elves. I missed my artillery and missiles a lot as Mazdamundi so never did much with him.

So I'm sort of torn between giving a good solid try to either Nagarthye, because gently caress Ulthuan, or Kroq-Gar, because I dig that area of the map and I've heard he's pretty dope. Otherwise I'll just default to playing the empire or something for like the millionth time

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Once you had your fill of sailing around and pillaging, you could converge all those elite armies to just take any empire in the game for your own, want to own bretonnia? you'd gobble it up in 10 turns once you land, empire has a river leading deep inland, the jungles to the southwest are enormous and rarely played in, Settra has a nice sandbox to play in you could take.

Vampirates aren't limited by the climate that everyone else is, you are free to let the AI build a land empire for you while you rank up your generals raiding and max out your multiple boats.

The alternative is playing someone like Aranessa or Harkon and never taking to the sea and just pushing inland and fighting rebels for your experience and gold (there will be a lot of rebellions early on)
Going out to sea and largely ignoring your easy to defend home settlement is the easy way to play, actually holding onto land early on with vampirates awful public order in uncorrupted lands and defending with generals you actually have to level up that don't come out of the box level 10+ with their own boat is the hard way.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 10, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The totally unmatched freedom of the Coast campaign has basically ruined every other faction for me entirely. The insanely fast growing horde boats coupled with climate-free settlement and huge cash bonuses on sacking means that they get to play with their fun units 40 turns sooner than every other faction(including the other Hordes) and they can set up in any area of the world they want, and if you get bored of an area or are feeling pressured you can just pack up and leave without sacrificing anything because all of your unit production is attached to your lords.

They basically get to be the best Horde faction while also settling land, and it makes everyone else's campaigns feel so cruddy and lame. I wish I could do this with Empire.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I need to get that expansion already, it indeed sounds amazing.
In the meantime I'm doing domination victory as TK, and having crazy fun for a late game TW campaign :skeltal:
I've played VC for too long, where I tried to have many fronts open to slowly build corruption and move on. With TK I had most success starting in Nehekara and moving south, then jumping the continent and going north as an unstoppable wave of skellies and statues.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
How on earth do I get started as Lokhir? If I take the obvious Eshin-held settlement at the start, they show up with a full stack of dudes a couple of turns later, which I can't possibly beat. If I go south instead to strangle Pestilens in the crib, a thousand good-guy elves show up on boats to take my initial settlement. aaaaaa

edit: turns out the answer was "stay put until vampirates wipe out the annoying elves" v:shobon:v

peer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 10, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I dont know posted:

If you have a def alliance with them you can set a war target on the settlement you want them to take, sack to destroy the defenses, and typically they will then conquer and claim the city. As Beastmen, I always ally with greenskins (typically skarsnik) and do this to prevent ruins from being backfilled.

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, as Karak Kadrin I just like to sack it repeatedly and hope the Empire can take it. They always seem to do poorly in my games though, like worse than Kislev every time

My dudes, do I have a mod for you. It's Region Trading. I've been using it in my Empire playthrough to give every mountain settlement to Clan Angrund or Dwarfs and everything I rescue from the undead in Bretonnia to Louen. It can also help you if an ally captures part of your natural borders and you have the rest of the province, letting you buy that stuff at a premium.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Blessed Carnosaurs have light cavalry speed, poo poo's loving terrifying.

Do blessed spawns work now?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Do blessed spawns work now?

Yeah, they've been fixed.

EDIT: They also fixed the DE/Skaven high loyalty dilemmas, with the caveat that they think they fixed them too well, so they proc more often they intended. Still, it's certainly better than getting nothing.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 10, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
quote not edit stupid toaster-thing

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

peer posted:

How on earth do I get started as Lokhir? If I take the obvious Eshin-held settlement at the start, they show up with a full stack of dudes a couple of turns later, which I can't possibly beat. If I go south instead to strangle Pestilens in the crib, a thousand good-guy elves show up on boats to take my initial settlement. aaaaaa

edit: turns out the answer was "stay put until vampirates wipe out the annoying elves" v:shobon:v

you want to roll up your starting province as quickly as you possibly can imo, then immediately take out citadel of dusk. On my legendary playthrough I ended up taking citadel of dawn as well, but it kind of became a quagmire that was constantly getting attacked by elf doomstacks so your mileage may vary there.

edit: Also make sure you ally up the tomb king faction to the west of you, and don't start any wars with skaven until you can capture the providence that has altar of the horned rat it its entirety.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 10, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kanos posted:

The totally unmatched freedom of the Coast campaign has basically ruined every other faction for me entirely. The insanely fast growing horde boats coupled with climate-free settlement and huge cash bonuses on sacking means that they get to play with their fun units 40 turns sooner than every other faction(including the other Hordes) and they can set up in any area of the world they want, and if you get bored of an area or are feeling pressured you can just pack up and leave without sacrificing anything because all of your unit production is attached to your lords.

They basically get to be the best Horde faction while also settling land, and it makes everyone else's campaigns feel so cruddy and lame. I wish I could do this with Empire.

After playing a Harkon campaign when the expansion first came out it reminded me just how much better the Chaos campaign could be if they took all of the lessons they've learned about horde armies and adapted them to improve Chaos. I just want an awesome death metal album cover horde :(

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm finally nearing the end of my pre-Vampire Coast Lothern Vortex campaign, halfway through the final ritual and bracing for the second wave of Skaven that appeared in Nehekara. My high unreliability from sending an intervention after the Lizardmen, causing Teclis to go to war with me, finally cleared up, and I was able to confederate with him almost immediately after making peace. Its funny how having a good relationship score due to never actually fighting him contributed so little to overcoming that initial hump. Me putting so much effort into this ritual stuff was your idea you bastard :argh: It took way less time to go from very low to low than it did for low to high. It also let me finally get trade pacts with the Tomb Kings

The only other high elf faction left is Averlorn, who was aggressive about conquering the upper 2/3 of Ulthuan. I never wanted to mess with them, so my holdings came from confederating elf colonies, pushing into Lustria and Naggaroth, and confederating the pretty good holdings Alith Anar made into Naggaroth. The Dark Elves are turbofucked by me from Tretch's area, and my fellow elves, Exiles of Nehek, and a Chaos army that beat them up pretty bad and thwarted their penultimate ritual. Alarielle is coming to help too. Tretch has few settlements, but can strike undefended areas if left unchecked. I'm doing only light save scumming, so my forces are spread a bit thin after I let Alith Anar suffer a valiant defeat. Tyrion took Naggarond and I'm just finished rebuilding, and the enemy generals in Ghrond and the Great Arena don't seem to be willing to recruit. I don't see any threat coming from the Dark Elves right now.

Hexoatl confederated with Last Defenders. My confederation with Teclis left me with a wide area for both Hedoatl and Pestilins to attack, but they are just as likely to weaken themselves against eachother and also Khalida who I'm on good terms with. I only have two good armies in the south who I might need to defend Chupayotl, leaving my central holdings vulnerable to anyone who can overcome walls. Based on what I can see in the newly acquired Teclis territory in north Lustria, they're pretty depleted at the moment. Beat a big Kroq-Gar army in eastern Southlands, and Queek isn't doing too well.

Two friendly Tomb king armies decided to park themselves by Lothern, one from Dune Kingdoms, and the other is Khatep who made quite a journey. Anyone know what that's about? It's making me wish the AI didn't ignore the ritual armies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

NeurosisHead posted:

After playing a Harkon campaign when the expansion first came out it reminded me just how much better the Chaos campaign could be if they took all of the lessons they've learned about horde armies and adapted them to improve Chaos. I just want an awesome death metal album cover horde :(

I want to get Gejnor made a Chaos mod that helped the experience, but I never tried it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really hope that CA uses the long gap in DLC to revamp the Skaven to have the Pirate Cove mechanic to represent the Under Empire.

I've been thinking about what I would want the mechanic to work. I don't know if anyone from CA reads this threads, but I'm on lunch break and have nothing better to do, so:

-Warrens can be set up in any city or settlement, with the main limitation being that it has to be in range of a city you control. Larger cities have larger range, and certain buildings can boost the range further. They can be set up in ruins as well as occupied cities. Heroes can set up Warrens at the cost of food, while armies can do it by attacking.
-Unlike Coves, Warrens are almost cities in their own right. Minor settlement Warrens have one building slot, while City Warrens have three. Buildings can provide economic benefits, but they really shine in buffing your armies, increasing raiding income and ambush success and providing reinforcements (this would effectively replace The Tide Below).
-When you conquer a city with a Warren, it's size is added to the city on top of whatever food you spend. On the flip side establishing cities without warrens costs more food.
-Warrens have food upkeep, though not as big as full cities. Food outputs and costs for everything is rebalanced to account for this, and one of the Warren buildings would let you steal a strategic resource (including the food benefit).
-Warrens have happiness, though the biggest determiner is keeping it connected to a city you fully occupy. If the warren is disconnected, it rapidly begins to deteriorate. At -100, you lose the warren, and it forms into a Rogue army that ranges from "nuicance" to "can threaten minor walled settlements" depending on the size of the warren.
-There can only be one Warren in a city or settlement. Heroes have a chance of taking over rival Skaven Warrens, while armies do it automatically.
-Skaven Cities past a certain size are no longer hidden, but their garrisons get a sizable buff (particularly to morale.)

The way this all comes together in the campaign is for Skaven to have a small bastion of cities while setting up Warrens in enemies (and allies) to pave the way for eventual conquest. As for how an opponent can counter the spread of the Under Empire, aside from destroying cities, heroes can now investigate their own cities to have a chance of discovering the Warren (larger Warrens increase this chance, and if a Skaven army is visible in the province, it greatly increases), at which point an army can attack it.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think part of what makes Menace Below effective in campaign is that it does act like summons, rather than reinforcements. Those are some good ideas but I think that if implemented it's more likely to be a lot simpler, like a choice between food, gold, or corruption as a priority, ala the cove choices. The ambush chance bonus is a good idea, as would be bonuses for sieges. The thing I'd most want from a system like that is local recruitment in a province where you have a warren, limited to skavenslaves and maybe clanrats, and replenishment. Maybe taking some ideas from Black Arks as well as Coves.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 10, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Skaven could also really use The Menace Below in multi. Everyone else gets to keep their unique mechanics (Realm of Souls for TK, the killingness buff for Dark Elves, Waaagh for Greenskins etc) and they're pretty bad right now and could use a buff.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

How do you deal with battle attrition as Vampire Coast if you are setting up coves instead of settling? Replenishment seems pitiful when encamping in unowned territory, and neither the horde replenishment building nor the blue path replenishment skill seem to do anything there. Is merge/disband and recruit/raise the only real option?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

esquilax posted:

How do you deal with battle attrition as Vampire Coast if you are setting up coves instead of settling? Replenishment seems pitiful when encamping in unowned territory, and neither the horde replenishment building nor the blue path replenishment skill seem to do anything there. Is merge/disband and recruit/raise the only real option?

I think it's intentionally that way as a way to balance them against other Hordes, and to simulate the sort of piracy gimmick of "go and raid, come back and replenish, go back out", but there's a mod that gives 20% replenishment in dreadfleet expansion stance, even at sea.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I use a variant of that mod with V.Sea that runs it at only 12% replenishment strength. It's useful for topping off some injured units after raiding, but if you suffer heavier losses to valuable troops it encourages you to either head home or conquer a place to heal up at.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

esquilax posted:

you heal for almost full in ally territory. make a friend

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zore posted:

Skaven could also really use The Menace Below in multi. Everyone else gets to keep their unique mechanics (Realm of Souls for TK, the killingness buff for Dark Elves, Waaagh for Greenskins etc) and they're pretty bad right now and could use a buff.

I like that, but speaking of clan rat summons, how do you actually use them effectively because as much as I love summon abilities I feel like clan rats are the worst because their leadership is effected by the damage they take from the summoning and as soon as they are routed off by a mean look they will never return because of the damage taken.

Anything tougher then a unguarded artillery crew seems to route them immediately before they can do any damage.

And does the stormvermin summon have much use either?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

KoldPT posted:

you heal for almost full in ally territory. make a friend

Is there any way to set up coves in ally provinces or only by sieging?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

esquilax posted:

Pretty sure Vampire Captains can set up coves in any costal settlement regardless of owner.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like that, but speaking of clan rat summons, how do you actually use them effectively because as much as I love summon abilities I feel like clan rats are the worst because their leadership is effected by the damage they take from the summoning and as soon as they are routed off by a mean look they will never return because of the damage taken.

Anything tougher then a unguarded artillery crew seems to route them immediately before they can do any damage.

Summons are mostly useful for mucking up artillery/cav/archers to buy time for your real units to get into position in my experience. Summon them to stop a charge that's going to hit your slingers etc. Also for doing a rear charge to overwhelm and break a flank . They aren't for doing damage really unless you have one of the few high tier summons like a Cygor.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

esquilax posted:

You may not know this, but your Vampire Fleet Captains can as a hero action set up Pirate Coves.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Someone already answered as to the basic question, but as far as Stormvermin, I would use them specifically in addition to a rear charge which they will trade well in, as a way to tie up something like Executioners or another anti-infantry elite unit. They will fail to really do much damage but they will pin them down and not break as quickly as the clanrats do, and give you much more time to arrange a response.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

You may not know this, but your Vampire Fleet Captains can as a hero action set up Pirate Coves.

You are correct, I did not know that. I quit my pirate game pretty early on, when I dreaded the next 10 turns I would spend either just sitting there replenishing or sailing back to the maelstrom.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of Skaven, after finishing Tomb Kings, Dark Elves, and Vampire Coast Vortex campaigns I'm looking to do a Skaven one. I played with Mors for a bit but didn't like grinding through Dwarves and Lizardmen for eternity. Haven't tried Pestilens but I wanted to try a hand at Rictus since I've never played heavily against Dark Elves (my Morathi game went basically the entire time without fighting another DE faction, I confederated the ones in my way and allied the rest.) The start is pretty challenging! I got my first province pretty early on but the Forgebound invited Nagarythe to declare war on me and I got a big High Elven doomstack that pushed through my defenses and really set me on the back foot. Because of their bonuses its harder to leverage Trench's advantages against them, and the initial food and gold output you start with is really poor. Any suggestions or tips? Looking to give it another shot, maybe tonight.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 10, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Coast can stack up ridiculous replenishment bonuses so when your army needs a top up you just take a town and camp in it for a turn or two before walking off and abandoning it if you don't want to hold it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do I take down these massive loving dinosaurs the lizard people are throwing at me as Dark Elves? They are loving up my pleb armies which seemed to work against the other factions

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Venom Snake posted:

How do I take down these massive loving dinosaurs the lizard people are throwing at me as Dark Elves? They are loving up my pleb armies which seemed to work against the other factions

Darkshards, darkshards and more darkshards.

Maybe put up some spears in square formation as a speedbump.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZearothK posted:

Darkshards, darkshards and more darkshards.

Maybe put up some spears in square formation as a speedbump.

That's why I'm currently doing but there's just so many of them SOME eventually make it through

edit: also the dark elf siege ballista is loving awful

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Black Guard of Naggarond are very good at fighting large creatures. I'm pretty sure they have a high charge defense and a large bonus to large. Also, the Kharibdyss is good at killing other large creatures. Darkshards are also pretty much great vs everything. The bolt thrower is fine in the early campaign but loses it's luster once you have access to monsters and elite units.

e: black guard are also immune to psychology which helps a lot vs large monsters.