Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I mulled this over for some time.

I declare 2019 the Year of the Burger Bud.

Your job, ITT and in life:

1. Invent a burger that is so disgustingly good, so grossly satisfying, that thread deems it worthy of judgement by mouth.

2. Your burger must be novel, yet delicious. Burger is a term that can mean any ground meat, grain or vegetable substrate, on some sort of Burger Delivery Device, be it a bun, a lettuce leaf, the end of your Bowie knife, etc. It shall always be presented on a method of conveyance to the mouth.

3. The burger shall abide by all BYOB rules.

4. The burger is not a hot dog sandwich, which is actually a soup in a bread bowl.

From this day, January 1, 2019, those sacrificing their time and social lives to participate in the Burger Trials shall have one month, until February 1, 2019, to post their Burger, with process and recipe, for judging by mouth.

Prizes: Friendship, a warm full belly, maybe just knowing that you can cook a drat fine burg. Also I'll make a little cookbook PDF of our Burger Buds recipes.

Burg away, you wild free children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I;m thinking about thos Burgs

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I will have to go to the spice gettin' place and the bread toucher's place

it might be a couple weeks before I can get the stuff

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I love this idea.

I’m gonna have to figure out something creative

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
I already got a recipe that is pretty off the chain. Do the cool kids still say off the chain? Also - where do I post this?

~Thunder Burg~

*1/2 lbs 85/15 fat ratio beef
*Salt
*2 (thinly sliced) pieces of Dietz and Wattson: Hot Pepper NY State Cheddar Cheese with Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce. If you can't find this, just use the spiciest cheese you can find I guess - but this stuff is what makes it shine.
*Liquid Smoke
*1 tbs water
*3-4 uncooked/non-battered red onion "rings" (just slice an onion lengthwise, and pop 3-4 of the larger rings out)
*Oil/butter (for the onions)
*Onion/poppy seed bun
*Sriracha
*A1 sauce
*A cast iron skillet
**OPTIONAL** Ghost Chili pepper flakes (Trader Joes sells these)

First, caramelize your onion rings with some oil/butter/whatever, set aside for later.

Form your beef patty by hand, making sure you only press hard enough to have it maintain its shape.

Liberally (take that Trump) splash your burger with liquid smoke (both sides)

Now coat each side with a moderate amount of salt (helps create a crust when pan frying)

On a medium-high heat, place the burger on the skillet (no oil/butter needed) and cook each side for about 4 minutes. When you flip your burger, also lightly toast your bun.

Once you've cooked the second side for about 2 minutes, place your cheese slices on the burger.

SECRET SAUCE: add your tablespoon of water to the cast iron, doing your best to pour it in a "ring" around the burger. Cover the pan with another pan to create a "sauna" for your meaty boi. This will instantly gooify your cheese!

Remove from heat, add ghost chili flakes if you dare!

Place burger and onions on bun, top with sriracha and A1.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Thunder Moose posted:

I already got a recipe that is pretty off the chain. Do the cool kids still say off the chain? Also - where do I post this?

~Thunder Burg~

*1/2 lbs 85/15 fat ratio beef
*Salt
*2 (thinly sliced) pieces of Dietz and Wattson: Hot Pepper NY State Cheddar Cheese with Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce. If you can't find this, just use the spiciest cheese you can find I guess - but this stuff is what makes it shine.
*Liquid Smoke
*1 tbs water
*3-4 uncooked/non-battered red onion "rings" (just slice an onion lengthwise, and pop 3-4 of the larger rings out)
*Oil/butter (for the onions)
*Onion/poppy seed bun
*Sriracha
*A1 sauce
*A cast iron skillet
**OPTIONAL** Ghost Chili pepper flakes (Trader Joes sells these)

First, caramelize your onion rings with some oil/butter/whatever, set aside for later.

Form your beef patty by hand, making sure you only press hard enough to have it maintain its shape.

Liberally (take that Trump) splash your burger with liquid smoke (both sides)

Now coat each side with a moderate amount of salt (helps create a crust when pan frying)

On a medium-high heat, place the burger on the skillet (no oil/butter needed) and cook each side for about 4 minutes. When you flip your burger, also lightly toast your bun.

Once you've cooked the second side for about 2 minutes, place your cheese slices on the burger.

SECRET SAUCE: add your tablespoon of water to the cast iron, doing your best to pour it in a "ring" around the burger. Cover the pan with another pan to create a "sauna" for your meaty boi. This will instantly gooify your cheese!

Remove from heat, add ghost chili flakes if you dare!

Place burger and onions on bun, top with sriracha and A1.

Perfect place to post. Got any Burger Evidence photographs?

bird.

*puts together a classic burger, but sticks in a toothpick with an olive on top*

*looks at the burger and shakes head*

*Sticks in a second toothpick with an olive on top* "...burger bud!"

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BrownianMotion posted:

*puts together a classic burger, but sticks in a toothpick with an olive on top*

*looks at the burger and shakes head*

*Sticks in a second toothpick with an olive on top* "...burger bud!"

NOW WE'RE TALKING

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
b u r g s. burgs... burgs! BURGS!!!

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dick Bastardly posted:

b u r g s. burgs... burgs! BURGS!!!

BUUUURG

Papa Was A Video Toaster

brug?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

dimmu bürgër

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

:siren: SPECIAL GUEST BURGER INCOMING :siren:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
gonna burg SO HARD

HappyKitty

What if I took the entire contents of a Happy Meal* and blended it all up and mixed it into ground beef to make a Happy Meal slurry and then made Borger out of it

*Without the toy, because I'm not playing the internet on hardcore mode

reignofevil

Happy burg-mas byob!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

reignofevil posted:

Happy burg-mas byob!

Nice burg, what's in it, weedass?

reignofevil
Burg is beef, got the holy trifecta of spinach purple onion and double tomato. Also white cheddar for flair.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

reignofevil posted:

Burg is beef, got the holy trifecta of spinach purple onion and double tomato. Also white cheddar for flair.

1000 points for excellent choices in life even if there's tomato involved

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

HappyKitty posted:

What if I took the entire contents of a Happy Meal* and blended it all up and mixed it into ground beef to make a Happy Meal slurry and then made Borger out of it

*Without the toy, because I'm not playing the internet on hardcore mode

can the toy be incorporated into the garnish of the borgar

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
If u can't eat a burgah a day,,, you are not me

MockingQuantum

pretend I gave you a kickass recipe for a juicy lucy with muenster cheese and garlic in it

thank you luvcow for the sig

Papa Was A Video Toaster

MockingQuantum posted:

pretend I gave you a kickass recipe for a juicy lucy with muenster cheese and garlic in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecc0nbg9m-8

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

hamjobs posted:

1000 points for excellent choices in life even if there's tomato involved

I heard one time that tomatoes were discovered in the "new world" by the Spanish and they thought they were poison for a while

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
boygs, big fat boygas

melted cheese, thank you please

City of Glompton

really liking this concept, however i have recently discovered spicy chik'n patties and i'm afraid they have messed up my ability to conceive a fancy novel burg

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I don't really have a "recipe", but I am about to make some vegetarian hamburgers, and then add some hummus from yesterday to them. Hummus as a burger topping...has science gone too far?

Manifisto

well I made an attempt a few days ago but for some reason I was unable to post so here goes

"bacon" mushroom "burger"

I've been trying to eat less meat lately, so I thought I'd try my hand at a veggie burger. I'll be honest, more than half of this was an excuse to try a recipe I came across some time ago, eggplant "bacon" by chef john of food wishes. but beyond that, I also wanted to see whether I could make something overall satisfying from a burger perspective.

the plan of attack: a patty in two parts - mushroom for meatiness, and a falafel-like chickpea patty for heft and for crunchy texture. "bacon" on top, plus lettuce, tomato, and mustard on a whole wheat bun.

so this came out good, bad, and ugly. probably the best part was the eggplant bacon. you really do need to get it just right, it needs to be fairly firm and crispy (it's no good if it's limp) but if it goes all the way to black it takes on an unpleasant burned taste. still, it's worth it imo. if you go into it expecting bacon of course you'll be disappointed, but if you go into it expecting a delicious savory way to eat eggplant I suspect you'll really like it. here's a before and after (the oven) of the facon:

for the mushroom I decided to do a whole portobello cap. I initially thought I'd just saute that sucker in some olive oil and garlic, but a whole cap just doesn't cook easily that way. fortunately, I was able to just throw it into the oven with my falafel patty, and for good measure I basted it with some of the leftover bacon marinade, and that definitely did the trick.

the bad/ugly was the falafel patty. I mostly followed a recipe I found online (here) except reading up on falafel so, so many other recipes said "OMG YOU HAVE TO USE SOAKED DRIED CHICKPEAS THE TEXTURE IS ALL WRONG OTHERWISE" so I did that instead of using canned chickpeas and, well, I was not impressed. the thing didn't want to hold together - just not enough binder (I was using ground walnuts, by the way, one of the options in the recipe) - and the texture was way too crumbly, especially after being baked in the oven for a while. also the flavor was really lacking, it needed more seasoning.

part of the issue may be that I don't have a food processor, so I was using a blender to chop up the chickpeas. AS EVERYONE KNOWS, a blender is essentially IDENTICAL to a food processor, which is just a trick by Big Appliance to try to get people to purchase another kitchen gadget to take up space and mock us by remaining perenially unused. however, while I firmly believe the foregoing, I must also admit that blenders kind of suck at certain chopping and mixing tasks, and that may well have contributed to my issues.

however, when all plated up and assembled, the thing actually tasted really good. I think it was those bacon marinade flavors that punched everything up, and with the firm meatiness of the portobello mushroom the crispy/dry falafel patty just wasn't a big issue.

so this was a good learning experience. I can tell I have further experimentation to do getting a good veggie patty, although I suppose I could just buy something ready made and save myself a ton of effort.

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

well I made an attempt a few days ago but for some reason I was unable to post so here goes

"bacon" mushroom "burger"

I've been trying to eat less meat lately, so I thought I'd try my hand at a veggie burger. I'll be honest, more than half of this was an excuse to try a recipe I came across some time ago, eggplant "bacon" by chef john of food wishes. but beyond that, I also wanted to see whether I could make something overall satisfying from a burger perspective.

the plan of attack: a patty in two parts - mushroom for meatiness, and a falafel-like chickpea patty for heft and for crunchy texture. "bacon" on top, plus lettuce, tomato, and mustard on a whole wheat bun.

so this came out good, bad, and ugly. probably the best part was the eggplant bacon. you really do need to get it just right, it needs to be fairly firm and crispy (it's no good if it's limp) but if it goes all the way to black it takes on an unpleasant burned taste. still, it's worth it imo. if you go into it expecting bacon of course you'll be disappointed, but if you go into it expecting a delicious savory way to eat eggplant I suspect you'll really like it. here's a before and after (the oven) of the facon:

for the mushroom I decided to do a whole portobello cap. I initially thought I'd just saute that sucker in some olive oil and garlic, but a whole cap just doesn't cook easily that way. fortunately, I was able to just throw it into the oven with my falafel patty, and for good measure I basted it with some of the leftover bacon marinade, and that definitely did the trick.

the bad/ugly was the falafel patty. I mostly followed a recipe I found online (here) except reading up on falafel so, so many other recipes said "OMG YOU HAVE TO USE SOAKED DRIED CHICKPEAS THE TEXTURE IS ALL WRONG OTHERWISE" so I did that instead of using canned chickpeas and, well, I was not impressed. the thing didn't want to hold together - just not enough binder (I was using ground walnuts, by the way, one of the options in the recipe) - and the texture was way too crumbly, especially after being baked in the oven for a while. also the flavor was really lacking, it needed more seasoning.

part of the issue may be that I don't have a food processor, so I was using a blender to chop up the chickpeas. AS EVERYONE KNOWS, a blender is essentially IDENTICAL to a food processor, which is just a trick by Big Appliance to try to get people to purchase another kitchen gadget to take up space and mock us by remaining perenially unused. however, while I firmly believe the foregoing, I must also admit that blenders kind of suck at certain chopping and mixing tasks, and that may well have contributed to my issues.

however, when all plated up and assembled, the thing actually tasted really good. I think it was those bacon marinade flavors that punched everything up, and with the firm meatiness of the portobello mushroom the crispy/dry falafel patty just wasn't a big issue.

so this was a good learning experience. I can tell I have further experimentation to do getting a good veggie patty, although I suppose I could just buy something ready made and save myself a ton of effort.

A+ burgin and I'm definitely trying eggplant bacon. 5/5

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

glowing-fish posted:

I don't really have a "recipe", but I am about to make some vegetarian hamburgers, and then add some hummus from yesterday to them. Hummus as a burger topping...has science gone too far?

This actually sounds amazing

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I got some bad news yesterday and worse today, but don't worry I will be ok. the bad part is I shouldn't indulge in the burger recipe ingredients I planned on, as every penny will count for the next month or so.

again, don't worry about me, no sympathy or well wishes required. I'm a grown up and can handle this stuff, lament only for a burg that could have been: za'atar black bean burger on pita bread with melted feta, tomatoes, grilled onion, tzatziki, and fresh dill.

one day though, I will burg SO HARD

Robot Made of Meat

Hugh Malone posted:

I got some bad news yesterday and worse today, but don't worry I will be ok. the bad part is I shouldn't indulge in the burger recipe ingredients I planned on, as every penny will count for the next month or so.

again, don't worry about me, no sympathy or well wishes required. I'm a grown up and can handle this stuff, lament only for a burg that could have been: za'atar black bean burger on pita bread with melted feta, tomatoes, grilled onion, tzatziki, and fresh dill.

Yob speed, Hugh.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hugh Malone posted:

I will help you burg friend, tell me how. You are a good bud and a good egg and I wish you well

Manifisto

Hugh Malone posted:

:ohdear: the burg that could have been, I hear it crying out . . .

you're getting sympathy and well wishes whether you like it or not buster :colbert:

ty nesamdoom!

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Breakfast boig

fried egg
bacon
boig
tomato
onion
lettuce
cheese

did I mention pure sweet sweet juicy broiled burg?

oh yeah and hashbrown potatoes were in there

edit: pickles

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
dang it y'all! love ya's.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Breakfast boig

fried egg
bacon
boig
tomato
onion
lettuce
cheese

did I mention pure sweet sweet juicy broiled burg?

oh yeah and hashbrown potatoes were in there

edit: pickles

I will make the burg! part of this is my telling manifisto I'd make him a sig last year and I couldn't (make the thing as beautiful as I envisioned and was rightly shamed by my incompetence to a place of study. I stand here today, burg naked, and say, "I will make manifisto the speaker stack sound system .gif I 8magined), and THE OTHER part is I really wanna do this burg better than the place I am stealing it from. BYOB is not the place for schadenfreude so I won't tell you about all the horrible things this restaurant did in this forum

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
And also it seems, if you do Google penguin Drive-In, you don't find much about the Greek Burger I'm trying to emulate which was actually awesome despite all its problems

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Needless to say, a good friend bought my broke rear end some drinks tonight, but seriously Burger hard

FactsAreUseless

Hugh Malone posted:

And also it seems, if you do Google penguin Drive-In, you don't find much about the Greek Burger I'm trying to emulate which was actually awesome despite all its problems
Greek Burger:

1. burger
2. buns
3. tzatziki
4. gyro meat
5. lettuce
6. tomato
7. onions

make the burger with Mediterranean spices in it like garlic or pit sweat, then cook it
put tzatziki sauce on two buns
shred gyro meat and mix with tzatziki
put burger on bun
top with gyro meat and vegetables

you can also make this with falafel instead of hamburger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless

This is the second time I have suggested pairing a hamburger with tzatziki sauce, but the first was a joke.

edit: I found the thread and it still makes me laugh: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701044

edit 2: oh my god the guy who didn't know it was a joke is a mod now

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who made them a mod and I never realized

edit 3: correction, three people who are now mods, and it's only a two page thread, this is insane to me

edit 4: four people