Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My neighborhood greasy spoon/late night Greek diner closed at the end of the year. :cry:

I mean there are still plenty of other options but that was one of the best of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Arlington has two diners called Bob and Edith's Diner and it's the loving greatest.

Closest Waffle House is like 30 minutes away though so I only get to go to it whenever I travel with my wife when she goes on business trips.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You can't just buy a waffle house franchise. You have to work your time in the company before they offer it to you. Part of that makes an owner easier on his staff, because he had to do all the dirty work too, at one point. They also pay a little better than most places.

Yup this is what I heard too. Amazing how treating your employees like humans can show.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

On the other hand this just opened in my neighborhood: http://www.unclewolfies.com

One of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

Arlington has two diners called Bob and Edith's Diner and it's the loving greatest.

Closest Waffle House is like 30 minutes away though so I only get to go to it whenever I travel with my wife when she goes on business trips.

TOO loving LOUD TO HAVE A NORMAL TALK WITH MY DEAF rear end PARENTS ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Otherwise pretty good and great hours

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

On the other hand this just opened in my neighborhood:

One of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time.

What...what is that?! :magical:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just an exceedingly delicious Eggs Benedict.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LingcodKilla posted:

TOO loving LOUD TO HAVE A NORMAL TALK WITH MY DEAF rear end PARENTS ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Otherwise pretty good and great hours

:lol: True.

Also watching people who've never been to a diner struggle with the concept of "First come first served" is always amusing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive got like 5 greek diners in a 10 min driving radius

ct is good for that

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
They closed the one Greek diner/ restaurant near me for health code violations

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
What has six tits and three teeth?

Night shift at the Waffle House.

lovely joke. When I lived in the south I frequently enjoyed WH. If this makes me white trash I'm cool with it. I would love to have a Waffle House in my area for the chocolate milk and scattered, smothered and covered. Plus you always knew there was good place for night food and a timeout. Now it's Taco Bell.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I thought you typed White House and I had to reread it a few times.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just don't mistake a Huddle House for a Waffle House. Don't know how many Huddles are left but they're mostly in the south and use a similar diner layout as WH. It's fine, just not the same.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've had Denny's once it was gross. iHop a few times, it's alright. Perkins the most frequent. Every one I've been in has been clean and good food and service. Never did Wafflehouse when I was in Mississippi, and there probably isn't one within 500 miles of here. Otherwise there's some great local places.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ive got like 5 greek diners in a 10 min driving radius

ct is good for that

CT also has O'Rourke's which may as well be the worlds best diner.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

M_Gargantua posted:

CT also has O'Rourke's which may as well be the worlds best diner.

i disagree, gently caress that place.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Casimir Radon posted:

I've had Denny's once it was gross. iHop a few times, it's alright. Perkins the most frequent. Every one I've been in has been clean and good food and service. Never did Wafflehouse when I was in Mississippi, and there probably isn't one within 500 miles of here. Otherwise there's some great local places.

Perkins is based out of Memphis. Haven't eaten in one since 2004, when I was on a mission in Korea to Camp Hialeah (before it was turned back over). There was one in some giant multistory mall in Busan. I was served an overcooked, undersized steak.

So yeah, two solid strikes from me, won't bother tempting a third.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vasudus posted:

pissssssssssssssssss

i have to get a professional headshot done

wish they would just give me a real headshot

i've become everything i hate

Better lean into it, whore. Uncle Sam wants a return on his investment

Edit: Food in Boulder is loving bullshit. Colorado is like a loving good restaurant desert. Dever has a couple OK spots but holy poo poo I did not realize how many lightyears New Orleans was ahead of middle america when it comes to food / drinks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Perkins is based out of Memphis. Haven't eaten in one since 2004, when I was on a mission in Korea to Camp Hialeah (before it was turned back over). There was one in some giant multistory mall in Busan. I was served an overcooked, undersized steak.

So yeah, two solid strikes from me, won't bother tempting a third.
Kind of serves you right. If you want steak do it yourself or go to a steakhouse. Their breakfasts are good.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

Kind of serves you right. If you want steak do it yourself or go to a steakhouse. Their breakfasts are good.

I don't know if they're getting worse or I'm getting pickier, but I haven't had a really great steak at a restaurant in years. Even name-brand steakhouses (Morton's etc.) are an expensive crapshoot compared to buying a very nice cut of meat and doing it yourself.

e: also, "steakhouse style" sides are 100% disgusting greasy piles. Even spinach isn't safe from being pumped full of animal fat and garlic.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 14, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I don't know if they're getting worse or I'm getting pickier, but I haven't had a really great steak at a restaurant in years. Even name-brand steakhouses (Morton's etc.) are an expensive crapshoot compared to buying a very nice cut of meat and doing it yourself.
My parents always bought filets when we did steak growing up. So yeah, a lot of restaurant steak doesn't measure up to that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit: Food in Boulder is loving bullshit. Colorado is like a loving good restaurant desert. Dever has a couple OK spots but holy poo poo I did not realize how many lightyears New Orleans was ahead of middle america when it comes to food / drinks

amen

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've had Mao on the Purina Pro Plan for a few days now and she's nuts for it. She'd been throwing up after some meals and I figured either she was eating too fast or the food was junk. Smaller portions and multiple feedings helped a bit, but she still gobbles the new food as well. No tummy problems since the switch.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EBB posted:

I've had Mao on the Purina Pro Plan for a few days now and she's nuts for it. She'd been throwing up after some meals and I figured either she was eating too fast or the food was junk. Smaller portions and multiple feedings helped a bit, but she still gobbles the new food as well. No tummy problems since the switch.

Probably eating too fast. Moo is an idiot and will eat so much dry food she barfs it up like 20 minutes later.

Keeping her bowl nearly empty, for some reason, stops her from gorging.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Glad Mao is doing better, and digs the pro plan.

I'm gradually cleaning and making things kitten-resistant. Met a cool cat named Dean this weekend. If he's still there friday he's coming home with me. Gotta vacuum up all the Frank hair first.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I figure it's because she was feral. When the meal is there, you take it. Now I have her on a breakfast/dinner schedule and she can tell time so there's less food anxiety.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Probably eating too fast. Moo is an idiot and will eat so much dry food she barfs it up like 20 minutes later.

Keeping her bowl nearly empty, for some reason, stops her from gorging.

Yeah my dumb rear end cat does this too. Usually it's early in the morning when he gets out of bed and gorges himself, then comes back and lays next to me until he starts doing the cat vomit dance.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that Boulder/Denver have lovely food.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Boulder/Denver food is okay, just okay. Better, spicier food in Pueblo. The Springs is kinda just your standard fare, run of the mill commercial restaurant poo poo. There are great mexican joints though.

There are stand-outs in each city, but Boulder south through the Springs are pretty soulless. There's not any real local niche food either. Lots of food trucks though. There's a guy that brings tamales to my work, in the trunk of his mustang. I'm not tempted enough by the probable food poisoning, so I stick to my morning protein bars.

Pueblo is solid though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Since I’m unemployed till the 22nd, I’m catching up on tv shows. Nathan For You is killing me.

“You can call me Nathan, or by my nickname ‘The N Word.’ “

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

I figure it's because she was feral. When the meal is there, you take it. Now I have her on a breakfast/dinner schedule and she can tell time so there's less food anxiety.

Yeah, bugged my wife about it (she's a vet), said it's most likely eating too much too fast.

You're doing the right thing by keeping the meals smaller and proportionate. Same deal goes for water, which sounds counter intuitive to most of us but it's a thing. Currently dealing with similar issues with one of our dogs.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Good News! I shot my first professional game! As in for another company for the sole purpose of media gathering. Not getting paid but baby steps.
Bad News! I was sick as hell and it was a miserable physical existence. I had fun though!
Bad News! Arena soccer is very difficult to shoot.
Good News! I think I did ok!

TFW you score a goal

album:https://imgur.com/a/HTclHuI
edit: The recurring person is there for a reason (she got me the media pass).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Boulder/Denver food is okay, just okay. Better, spicier food in Pueblo. The Springs is kinda just your standard fare, run of the mill commercial restaurant poo poo. There are great mexican joints though.

There are stand-outs in each city, but Boulder south through the Springs are pretty soulless. There's not any real local niche food either. Lots of food trucks though. There's a guy that brings tamales to my work, in the trunk of his mustang. I'm not tempted enough by the probable food poisoning, so I stick to my morning protein bars.

Pueblo is solid though.

I haven’t really been able to find good Mexican in Denver. Everybody acts like hole-in-the-wall joints are supposed to all be amazing but my experience hasn’t been great.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad thing about Waffle House

Definitely a regional thing, don’t think we have any :/

There are definitely no Waffle Houses in California. The closest one is in Phoenix but they are primarily in the Southeast. They remind me of the truck stop diner my mom worked at when I was really young. Decent food and full of working class people.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

There are definitely no Waffle Houses in California. The closest one is in Phoenix but they are primarily in the Southeast. They remind me of the truck stop diner my mom worked at when I was really young. Decent food and full of working class people.

What a hosed up state, they must get their breakfasts out of a dumpster like raccoons.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Fallom posted:

I haven’t really been able to find good Mexican in Denver. Everybody acts like hole-in-the-wall joints are supposed to all be amazing but my experience hasn’t been great.

Its this x1000000 people around here talk about restaurants like they're the second coming of christ and they're all usually pretty disappointing. Da Gee on the outskirts of Denver is probably my favorite restaurant around here and it's not that impressive for korean BBQ.

Southmouth wings and the Sun brewery's / pizzarias are the only restaurants I'd actually recommend around here. For a city with such a granola-y reputation there aren't even very many good vegetarian / vegan restaurants. It's loving bullshit!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Keep in mind that airplane food has and always will be poo poo, but also take into account that they've hired chefs to fix that, and it still tastes bland and terrible.

That's because altitude plays fuckery with your taste buds. Obviously not going to get the same results at 5k feet, but it might play in effect.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Obviously the answer is to do taste testing in altitude chambers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Keep in mind that airplane food has and always will be poo poo, but also take into account that they've hired chefs to fix that, and it still tastes bland and terrible.

That's because altitude plays fuckery with your taste buds. Obviously not going to get the same results at 5k feet, but it might play in effect.

It's also because nobody gives a poo poo. The amount of money and labor that could go into stupid poo poo like "better food" can keep the sky buses flying for an extra couple of months.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Its this x1000000 people around here talk about restaurants like they're the second coming of christ and they're all usually pretty disappointing. Da Gee on the outskirts of Denver is probably my favorite restaurant around here and it's not that impressive for korean BBQ.

Southmouth wings and the Sun brewery's / pizzarias are the only restaurants I'd actually recommend around here. For a city with such a granola-y reputation there aren't even very many good vegetarian / vegan restaurants. It's loving bullshit!

Weird. Boulder and Madison are always compared, and the latter of those has a fantastic food/drink scene for a city of 250,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
spicy mexican food in denver means they added paprika