Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet Personality + WoW Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Max Wilco posted:

I forgot about that; WOW does have very little in terms of character customization, to the point where I expect you'd run into another player who looks like your doppelganger.

I've heard you can customize your character a lot more in FF14, not just in terms of looks, but also gear & clothing (I think I once heard it referred to Fashion Fantasy 14).

There's literally a fashion show minigame in it now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fabricated posted:

The individual/small scale stuff in WoW has actually generally been good- like leveling zone story arcs and stuff like that. The overarching story in BfA makes no real sense to me and I kinda hate it because it always has to lead back to the status quo- meaning no matter what insane event happens that inevitably drives both factions to work together in some fashion to save the entire planet or possibly galaxy from some bigger evil someone always appoints a war criminal to run one of the factions and pisses the other off and their increasingly asinine war starts over again.

I'm still a fan of the draenei starting zone story. It made me think my space goat was important before she was cast out into the wider world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm curious about he Darkest Dungeon quest chain they added.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm curious about he Darkest Dungeon quest chain they added.
It's weird, because there's a hidden debuff that doesn't go away until you die. It's meant to be this odd little diversion, like a quest pops up in this area seemingly at random, but that also makes it easy to stop caring about. Or you go hard and kill yourself seven times in a row to finish the quest chain.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The individual/small scale stuff in WoW has actually generally been good- like leveling zone story arcs and stuff like that. The overarching story in BfA makes no real sense to me and I kinda hate it because it always has to lead back to the status quo- meaning no matter what insane event happens that inevitably drives both factions to work together in some fashion to save the entire planet or possibly galaxy from some bigger evil someone always appoints a war criminal to run one of the factions and pisses the other off and their increasingly asinine war starts over again.

I never understood why there was a faction war in the first place. When I first played Warsong Gulch all those years ago in Vanilla, I always thought it was a border skirmish over orcs wanting lumber and the night elves wanting them out of their land, preventing the desecration of the forest with both faction leaders turning a blind eye to it to prevent full scale war.

Hell my Rogue never even identified with the Alliance, I always felt he was part of the Ravenholdt society basically just using the cities and alliance towns as trading hubs. To me that always made more sense, multiple factions within the Horde and Alliance, causing conflicts across the world and the leaders either turning a blind eye to it because it provided resource gains or trying to manage the fallout.

NPC leaders and players zealously following their leaders into battle for no reason makes no sense whatsoever and makes even less sense the more they try to push dumb faction wars where you have have a leader commit wholesale genocide and you have races who don’t stand for that sort of behaviour just meekly go along with it for no reason at all

Asuron fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 14, 2019

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Asuron posted:

I never understood why there was a faction war in the first place. When I first played Warsong Gulch all those years ago in Vanilla, I always thought it was a border skirmish over orcs wanting limber and the night elves wanting them out of their land, preventing the desecration of the forest with both faction leaders turning a blind eye to it to prevent full scale war.

Hell my Rogue never even identified with the Alliance, I always felt he was part of the Ravenholdt society basically just using the cities and alliance towns as trading hubs. To me that always made more sense, multiple factions within the Horde and Alliance, causing conflicts across the world and the leaders either turning a blind eye to it because it provided resource gains or trying to manage the fallout.

NPC leaders and players zealously following their leaders into battle for no reason makes no sense whatsoever and makes even less sense the more they try to push dumb faction wars where you have have a leader commit wholesale genocide and you have races who don’t stand for that sort of behaviour just meekly go along with it for no reason at all

You just don't get it. A tribe of shamanistic nature-loving bull-men will gladly shed its own blood so a cult of Undead defilers (who call themselves Defilers) can clear-cut the forest they too call home!

The Alliance may be dull, but a lot about the Horde and how it fits together is just plain bonkers.

Steering this back to the rails, (or trying):

Does WoW have a Twitch/streaming presence? It really diesn't feel geared toward it. Raids are too big to allow anyone's personality to come through, and questing may be too sparse/generic to hold a crowd's attention.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Does WoW have a Twitch/streaming presence? It really diesn't feel geared toward it. Raids are too big to allow anyone's personality to come through, and questing may be too sparse/generic to hold a crowd's attention.

Yes, a big one. Even if it's not in the top 5 of Fortnite/LoL/DOTA and the other top games it's certainly in the next biggest league, probably just in the top 10 for games.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 14, 2019

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WoW streaming is almost without fail one of three things: The same couple guilds it ever is doing world/realm first raiding, someone doing ~high level~ PvP, some 'personality' streamer who's either fine or terrible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

WoW streaming is almost without fail one of three things: The same couple guilds it ever is doing world/realm first raiding, someone doing ~high level~ PvP, some 'personality' streamer who's either fine or terrible.

And even if they're fine they might become terrible when a horde of their followers (or people who just want to stream snipe) descend around them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clerical Terrors posted:

Were the Draenei ladies not curvy enough already? Blizzard horny has no limits.

did they do another one of their stupid retcons about the draenei to make them look like eredar because they thought nobody would play an ugly race?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did they do another one of their stupid retcons about the draenei to make them look like eredar because they thought nobody would play an ugly race?

This is still incredibly lame too, broken draenei are way cooler looking than the doofily proportioned large mcfridgehuge guys and samey rear end 'n' titties goat women.

In general RPGs/MMOs being cowardly about playable non-conventionally-pretty races is the worst, it's how you get poo poo like BDO, where every character is just some oily looking uguu waifushit.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
It sucks, but apparently is what sells judging from the blood elf population on the supposed "monster faction," the Horde, in WoW.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My Secret World character is Jeremy Corbyn.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yes but trying to pander to people only wanting generically pretty poo poo is also dumb, it's uncreative and dull because that's just the default lame plan in most cases. That and boring elves aren't even the worst it could be, realmpop reads out them being something like 30% of the total Horde playerbase, which is eye rolling but it's not like heaps of people don't play almost every other race in significant numbers too. That and partially there's a stupid design bias as well, because for the longest time only the twiggy elves could be paladins for Horde, which now there's also tauren but meh, along with dumb elves also being the only race that can be demon hunters too with Legion, which still completely sucks rear end and took away so much of my desire to play them, despite their skillset being good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

This is still incredibly lame too, broken draenei are way cooler looking than the doofily proportioned large mcfridgehuge guys and samey rear end 'n' titties goat women.

In general RPGs/MMOs being cowardly about playable non-conventionally-pretty races is the worst, it's how you get poo poo like BDO, where every character is just some oily looking uguu waifushit.

yeah the true draenei were a lot cooler looking.

all the coolest races in eq were the "ugly" ones.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

EQ certainly had a lot of variety compared to most later MMOs. Ogres and trolls were the really ugly races, but they also had lizard-people, cat-people and frog-people in addition to the fantasy staples like elves and dwarves.

City of Heroes had the most versatile character creator I’ve seen in an MMO, though. Everyone was human, at least in theory, but you could very easily make them into an alien or a cyborg or all sorts of other things, including some options that looked completely monstrous.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Even EQ2 wound up being better about that than most MMO’s. They added Dragon People at some point that were just large bipedal lizards, where the women were a good 50% larger than the men. I thought that was pretty neat since you don’t often see that kind of dimorphism. Just a shame that everything in the game looked horrendous, plus everything ELSE wrong with the game.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

There's a fourth genre these days: streamers raffling off Mythic+ carries and using the M+ group finder as an ad for their stream.

To bring this actually back on topic, Ernest Roulette got around to Ernest goes to Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9iH62zqJBI

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Is the WoW derail the new anime/Star Wars/etc. derail?

AllmyFrench78 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moUOvHftKXQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxHCQOgIvlE Todd in the Shadows finally goes over his top ten best songs of 2018.

These are always interesting as a window into his tastes. Some good choices, for sure.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

TheMaestroso posted:

[Todd in the Shadows' Best of 2018 list]

These are always interesting as a window into his tastes. Some good choices, for sure.

Yeah, I love at least two of the songs on his list. I loved the Cardi B and Nicki Minaj songs from the minute I heard them, and I'm glad Todd also recognises those songs as the bangers they are. Points also for promoting Janelle Monae, who was criminally ignored by pop music radio. Dirty Computer deserved so much more success.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FoldableHuman posted:

To bring this actually back on topic, Ernest Roulette got around to Ernest goes to Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9iH62zqJBI

I didn't even know this existed - the show OR Ernest being very problematic in Africa.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's a Neil Cicierega joint so you know it's good.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Is the WoW derail the new anime/Star Wars/etc. derail?

It dominates the thread more but there's not as many "stop talking about it!" posts, and it's less contentious, so probably not to their level of annoying yet.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

ZakAce posted:

Points also for promoting Janelle Monae, who was criminally ignored by pop music radio. Dirty Computer deserved so much more success.

:hmmyes:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AllmyFrench78 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moUOvHftKXQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxHCQOgIvlE Todd in the Shadows finally goes over his top ten best songs of 2018.

i liked his list better when it was bitch i'm a cow 10 times

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i liked his list better when it was bitch i'm a cow 10 times

:emptyquote:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

I see your Black Desert Online, and raise you Scarlet Blade.

Bakeneko posted:

EQ certainly had a lot of variety compared to most later MMOs. Ogres and trolls were the really ugly races, but they also had lizard-people, cat-people and frog-people in addition to the fantasy staples like elves and dwarves.

I've run across a couple of videos talking about EverQuest (this one's a pretty good watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhvTlR1WSc). What shocked me is that EQ is still getting expansion packs.

It seems like there's tons of MMOs nowadays, but WOW and FF14 seem like the two big ones that have the most activity. I keep thinking about giving WOW another shot, but I feel like I'm held back by a mix of social anxiety and a lack of commitment. Main thing that has always put me off about MMOs is the need to pay a monthly fee, so it feels like you need to put time into it to make sure you're getting your money's worth (and there's that fear of getting addicted and playing it constantly).

There's also the matter of joining a guild or raid group or whatever, and there I have the worry that I'll joini a group, get burned out on the game, and drop out, letting the rest of the group down. (I tried out Diablo 3 multiplayer yesterday to earn some gold, and I got an offer to join a guild, which I turned down, because I didn't know how much more of D3 I wanted to play.)

Granted, I've been told that you can actually do a lot of WOW content solo, but I feel like that's missing the point of an MMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZakAce posted:

Points also for promoting Janelle Monae, who was criminally ignored by pop music radio. Dirty Computer deserved so much more success.

Dance Apocalyptic is an evil catchy song that I will probably need an icepick to dislodge from my brain.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ZakAce posted:

Eh, rightly so though, as that's not pop music. I am pretty sure dirty computer made the quietus top albums list, so not sure it would make sense to put up alongside Ariana Grande.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If Make Me Feel doesn't count as pop, I don't know what pop is

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Biomute posted:

Eh, rightly so though, as that's not pop music. I am pretty sure dirty computer made the quietus top albums list, so not sure it would make sense to put up alongside Ariana Grande.

Todd already put up trap music alongside Ariana Grande, so I'm not sure what your argument here is. I see no validity in separating them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I finished the Neptunia LP

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stop doing this to yourself.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

at least your torment is over

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/DollarShaveClub/status/1084917538713067520

Dollar Shave Club found a new sect of YouTubers to sponsor I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can't wait for the great patriotic meme war to get my toothbrush, comb, and toilet cleaner too.

I wonder how concerned the dollar shave club people are that the chuds are holding them up as a totem now?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Given they started Mel Magazine with the money from their shaving venture, my guess is "Oh sure, another market cornered".

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I see your Black Desert Online, and raise you Scarlet Blade.

I've run across a couple of videos talking about EverQuest (this one's a pretty good watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhvTlR1WSc). What shocked me is that EQ is still getting expansion packs.

It seems like there's tons of MMOs nowadays, but WOW and FF14 seem like the two big ones that have the most activity. I keep thinking about giving WOW another shot, but I feel like I'm held back by a mix of social anxiety and a lack of commitment. Main thing that has always put me off about MMOs is the need to pay a monthly fee, so it feels like you need to put time into it to make sure you're getting your money's worth (and there's that fear of getting addicted and playing it constantly).

There's also the matter of joining a guild or raid group or whatever, and there I have the worry that I'll joini a group, get burned out on the game, and drop out, letting the rest of the group down. (I tried out Diablo 3 multiplayer yesterday to earn some gold, and I got an offer to join a guild, which I turned down, because I didn't know how much more of D3 I wanted to play.)

Granted, I've been told that you can actually do a lot of WOW content solo, but I feel like that's missing the point of an MMO.

He's got an interesting point about how automating the wrong parts of social features can produce an anti-social environment. Like means of effectively communicating (e.g. linking items) or help with organizing friends, groups, and public spaces are good because they make it easier to talk to people but if automation is treated as a way to avoid interaction then social interaction goes from a pillar of the game to an unpleasant obstacle between you and the loot.

I think that principle can be applied to a lot of aspects of modern game design, like how the abundance of objective markers has ultimately reduced immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Can't wait for the great patriotic meme war to get my toothbrush, comb, and toilet cleaner too.

I wonder how concerned the dollar shave club people are that the chuds are holding them up as a totem now?

Prob not much. I mean, they've been sponsoring various cuntstumps for years and they're not so stupid to not try and get over with people who are so sensitive and precious that they're going to switch razors over some dumbass advert.