Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

TheRat posted:

Why would it be a joke?

As a programmer, it's kind of insane for a thing to remain in an invalid state for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

boo_radley posted:

As a programmer, it's kind of insane for a thing to remain in an invalid state for a very long time.

I'm sure they could just go and manually fix the entries in the database, but they want to make sure they fully understand what is causing it before doing something that could make it a whole lot worse.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

low-level database fuckery is almost never the correct solution

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Hot take: if the argument for a skill being overtuned is "it gives you a reasonable degree of quality of life against the game's bullshit, and lets a person with good enough mechanics see most of the game's content without being rich" then it's actually pretty properly tuned

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ahh. I also keep getting whispered about a wolf div card I had up for 10c. Luckily it's like once a day.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If someone else's success in the game diminishes your enjoyment of it, look inward imo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Underpriced a amulet 5 days ago, still get a dozen whispers each day for it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

JerryLee posted:

Hot take: if the argument for a skill being overtuned is "it gives you a reasonable degree of quality of life against the game's bullshit, and lets a person with good enough mechanics see most of the game's content without being rich" then it's actually pretty properly tuned

Well... I don't think anyone was making that augment?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I agree, but what about arc?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MMF Freeway posted:

It's a paraphrase about how most of the arguments against arc come across to me, tbh.

I don't even play Arc this league (I started an arc character before Syndicate got nerfed to see if it would be any better at endgame, but then Syndicate got nerfed and my current build felt playable again), but I'm glad it always exists as an option.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

TheRat posted:

Im not really sure I agree there's any problem with syndicate rewards outside of maybe mastermind herself and ITF research being about 79 times too powerful.

E: Oh, and vagan is useless I guess

It's not really ITF in research as much as it's pure breachstones being much easier and quicker experience than anything else in the game.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

MMF Freeway posted:

A lot of it got mashed together in that whole discussion. For people bitching about arc - there’s no one making you play arc. But that doesn’t mean an outlier skill is something that’s good for the health of the game, nor is it good to use arc as some water mark for balancing the game. It could probably stand to get toned down a bit, but as someone else said - there’s always going to be another Arc.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

remember posted:

It's not really ITF in research as much as it's pure breachstones being much easier and quicker experience than anything else in the game.

You just repeated what I said with different words

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

JerryLee posted:

It's a paraphrase about how most of the arguments against arc come across to me, tbh.

I don't even play Arc this league (I started an arc character before Syndicate got nerfed to see if it would be any better at endgame, but then Syndicate got nerfed and my current build felt playable again), but I'm glad it always exists as an option.

A reasonable degree of quality of life and able to take on most content without being rich describes most of the skills these days. Arc offers too much for too little investment, but that's not even the reason its the topic of conversation. The issue is that its been this way for several leagues now, and that tends to annoy people since they get sick of seeing and hearing about it. Its not a broken skill, at least I don't think so, its just a little much and even a token nerf could help nudge the meta towards something else.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Zmej posted:

syndicate scarab farming on harbor bridge/foothills/ossuary is stupid but it makes me stupid money. I look forward to them swatting it down.

So I’ve been trying to do this and I feel like I’ve hosed up somehow. I’m trying to follow the guide below, but I’m at a point where all I ever get is solo encounters with the occasional 2 person. So I never get the rank up option. I’ve got a billion trusted links all over the place and none of the safe houses are available for raiding. Any ideas? Or is the guide the wrong way to do it? I’ve been at it for most of last weekend and this week but have only managed a 3* Rin once and haven’t even been able to get Cameira into the drat Intervention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/abdd26/the_defacto_syndicate_farming_guide/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Keep grinding them out.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I had a question that I forgot to ask last night... some chap was running people through pure breachstone areas. the name was something like "auto ... bot". What was your build? p.s. thanks too. it got me past the lvl 91 hurdle.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So I’ve been trying to do this and I feel like I’ve hosed up somehow. I’m trying to follow the guide below, but I’m at a point where all I ever get is solo encounters with the occasional 2 person. So I never get the rank up option. I’ve got a billion trusted links all over the place and none of the safe houses are available for raiding. Any ideas? Or is the guide the wrong way to do it? I’ve been at it for most of last weekend and this week but have only managed a 3* Rin once and haven’t even been able to get Cameira into the drat Intervention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/abdd26/the_defacto_syndicate_farming_guide/

I also tried following this guide in Harbor Bridge. After four hours of grinding I got to run ITF as a 3-star leader of Research once, and have been trying to get him back as a member of Research now. Granted, I was making mistakes in the first few hours that prevented me from actually doing it right, and my character doesn't have a ton of movespeed beyond typical boots + flask, but I still feel that it's super boring and not as easy as advertised. I'm probably going to run it once more and stop.

What stage of farming are you stuck at? Getting your target member into the target order? Ranking them up? Swapping out the leader? It seems to me like the first stage is the most random / lengthy. One thing I heard is that the chances of each encounter type showing up is not necessarily 25%, but is based on the number of members in each order - i.e. an order with 4 members is twice as likely to show up as an order with 2 members. If your target order has few members, this may be slowing things down. I guess the only other advice would be to make sure to follow the guide to the letter.

For another take on syndicate farming, this guy did it a different way, by filling the board with rivalries instead of trusted links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaC2G6YvspA. I suppose both work, as long as you can consistently get encounters with the option to rank someone up.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

yegods posted:

I had a question that I forgot to ask last night... some chap was running people through pure breachstone areas. the name was something like "auto ... bot". What was your build? p.s. thanks too. it got me past the lvl 91 hurdle.

man you wont believe what level the next hurdle is

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

ThePineapple posted:

I also tried following this guide in Harbor Bridge. After four hours of grinding I got to run ITF as a 3-star leader of Research once, and have been trying to get him back as a member of Research now. Granted, I was making mistakes in the first few hours that prevented me from actually doing it right, and my character doesn't have a ton of movespeed beyond typical boots + flask, but I still feel that it's super boring and not as easy as advertised. I'm probably going to run it once more and stop.

What stage of farming are you stuck at? Getting your target member into the target order? Ranking them up? Swapping out the leader? It seems to me like the first stage is the most random / lengthy. One thing I heard is that the chances of each encounter type showing up is not necessarily 25%, but is based on the number of members in each order - i.e. an order with 4 members is twice as likely to show up as an order with 2 members. If your target order has few members, this may be slowing things down. I guess the only other advice would be to make sure to follow the guide to the letter.

For another take on syndicate farming, this guy did it a different way, by filling the board with rivalries instead of trusted links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaC2G6YvspA. I suppose both work, as long as you can consistently get encounters with the option to rank someone up.

Right now I can’t even get Rin/Cam in Intervention. Rin is stuck as the leader of Fort and Cam has been in the floater pool (with almost everyone else) forever. I’d feel more optimistic if I was getting more opportunities to rank up/move folks around, but it’s been pretty dry for a while now. Which is why I think I’ve messed something up somehow cause folks talk like it’s a relatively smooth process.

When I did manage to get 3* Rin once, it was before I was following that guide and I was just trying to funnel as many people over to Intervention as possible and keep the other three branches safehouse locked. I guess I just got really lucky on that one.

I might finally have enough currency to get my next build online, so I may just try and get that one going and keep my impossibly smooth brain focused on maps. Anyone got any leveling tips? My first character ever took like 24 hours of play time to get to Maps so I’m hoping #2 won’t be quite that bad

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Have you ranked up too many members? You want as many unaffiliated floaters as possible because they can show up in any encounter. The issue with having people in the divisions is that they won't show up in any encounter if their division is locked out, so after a while you'll start stagnating and seeing the same encounters over and over.

Also as someone else said, there was a more recent video posted where the strategy was to form as many red lines as possible because then you get the rank up option in 2-person encounters. I switched over to this method and anecdotally felt like it was MUCH faster.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Right now I can’t even get Rin/Cam in Intervention. Rin is stuck as the leader of Fort and Cam has been in the floater pool (with almost everyone else) forever. I’d feel more optimistic if I was getting more opportunities to rank up/move folks around, but it’s been pretty dry for a while now. Which is why I think I’ve messed something up somehow cause folks talk like it’s a relatively smooth process.

When I did manage to get 3* Rin once, it was before I was following that guide and I was just trying to funnel as many people over to Intervention as possible and keep the other three branches safehouse locked. I guess I just got really lucky on that one.

I might finally have enough currency to get my next build online, so I may just try and get that one going and keep my impossibly smooth brain focused on maps. Anyone got any leveling tips? My first character ever took like 24 hours of play time to get to Maps so I’m hoping #2 won’t be quite that bad

i followed this thing for leveling https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2150196

and knocked it out much faster than 24 hours for sure. Just be sure to do all the parts labeled "skill point"

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Papercut posted:

Have you ranked up too many members? You want as many unaffiliated floaters as possible because they can show up in any encounter. The issue with having people in the divisions is that they won't show up in any encounter if their division is locked out, so after a while you'll start stagnating and seeing the same encounters over and over.

Also as someone else said, there was a more recent video posted where the strategy was to form as many red lines as possible because then you get the rank up option in 2-person encounters. I switched over to this method and anecdotally felt like it was MUCH faster.

I definitely kept everyone in the pool whenever possible. None of my branches have more than 1 leader and 1 member currently.

I’d try the rival method, but it seems like it’d take quite a bit more time to undo all the trusted links just to get it off the ground. I’m already kinda sick of running up and down that drat bridge anyway. New character time

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

emdash posted:

i followed this thing for leveling https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2150196

and knocked it out much faster than 24 hours for sure. Just be sure to do all the parts labeled "skill point"

Thanks, I’ll follow that this go-round. I’ll probably pick up a Tabula to go with my goldrim as well so I don’t have to fiddle with gearing too much.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So when it comes to Syndicate, i was levelling this Energy Shield char with the idea of being CI so my life was very low with loads of energy shield on top.

I was afraid of getting ripped by Syndicate's chaos damage, so I was skipping all encounters except the first two in act one. Once I got to the first research encounter, I ignored it, so then for the next 5 acts Jun was only giving me research ones which are easy to skip. Like not a single fortification or transportation.

Not sure if a bug or intended behaviour but I was happy with the outcome when levelling.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

kaaj posted:

So when it comes to Syndicate, i was levelling this Energy Shield char with the idea of being CI so my life was very low with loads of energy shield on top.

I was afraid of getting ripped by Syndicate's chaos damage, so I was skipping all encounters except the first two in act one. Once I got to the first research encounter, I ignored it, so then for the next 5 acts Jun was only giving me research ones which are easy to skip. Like not a single fortification or transportation.

Yeah, as long as you keep skipping the Research encounter, you'll keep getting only Research encounters. It's an easy way to skip Betrayal content if you don't want to deal with it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

boo_radley posted:

Hey they are celebrating the holiday for two months, completely normal thing to do. Love ggg so much

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Had my first exalt drop... up to about 200c budget now and am looking for upgrade recommendations for Spectre/Zombie Necromancer

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ElChimiCabraDiablo/characters?characterName=BarrelFullOfChimis

I'm a little squishy but don't die very often. Damage isn't an issue currently but I'm still running a 5-link. Currently have a little over 5k life and 1k ES, resists are just barely over 75% cap. My jewels suck and will most likely be some upgrades there. Finishing up yellow maps and will start getting into reds this week. Any help would be appreciated, thanks a bunch!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 16, 2019

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Otacon posted:

Had my first exalt drop... up to about 200c budget now and am looking for upgrade recommendations for Spectre/Zombie Necromancer

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ElChimiCabraDiablo/characters?characterName=BarrelFullOfChimis

I'm a little squishy but don't die very often. Damage isn't an issue currently but I'm still running a 5-link. Currently have a little over 5k life and 1k ES, resists are just barely over 75% cap. My jewels suck and will most likely be some upgrades there. Finishing up yellow maps and will start getting into reds this week. Any help would be appreciated, thanks a bunch!

6L your chest and absolutely get Elemental Equilibrium. Respecc into it right now and find a way to fit Orb of Storms or Storm Brand into your build to procc it.
Replace your weapon - Its literally a one-mod weapon with a 30% minion damage bench craft. If you dont want to bother with finding a good crated weapon, just buy a 1c The Scourge.
Replace your amulet with a dex or hybrid dex base, so you get to 111 dex for lvl20 dex-based gems (especially Greater Multiple Projectiles)
You should really get a Quicksilver flask, preferably with Adrenaline.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Wuxi posted:

6L your chest and absolutely get Elemental Equilibrium. Respecc into it right now and find a way to fit Orb of Storms or Storm Brand into your build to procc it.
Replace your weapon - Its literally a one-mod weapon with a 30% minion damage bench craft. If you dont want to bother with finding a good crated weapon, just buy a 1c The Scourge.
Replace your amulet with a dex or hybrid dex base, so you get to 111 dex for lvl20 dex-based gems (especially Greater Multiple Projectiles)
You should really get a Quicksilver flask, preferably with Adrenaline.

:h:

Thank you so much, will work on all of this! Didn't realize EE worked how it does.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

boo_radley posted:

Isn't that what memory leaks are?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

McFrugal posted:

not really, no

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

McFrugal posted:

Well now we have two insane things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

boo_radley posted:

Well now we have two insane things.

Rude.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Could also use some build advice.

My character (link) is at that awkward place at level 91 where it becomes unclear to me on what is a meaningful upgrade and what isn't. I'm riding the edge of what I feel is "too squishy", with PoB saying 6550 Effective Life with the 40% MoM. I have approximately 2ex in easily available currency, maybe one or two more in assets mode difficult to turn into c or ex. I was aiming at getting a 6-link Soul Mantle, but was wondering if there are other ways to get the same, or better, improvement.

Fake edit: Also, is the DPS shown in PoB per-totem or total?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Hey they are celebrating the holiday for two months, completely normal thing to do. Love ggg so much

Isn't this just their summer vacation?

Loezi posted:

Per totem

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks to some extremely helpful goons tonight who sold me a bunch of T11/12 maps in a big batch, I was able to complete the Atlas up through T12 for the first time ever.

I'm also comfortably running the T11/12 maps even in horribly corrupted states (as long as no elemental reflect) without hardly ever dying, and got to level 91 tonight.

Thanks goons whose SA names I do not know, you really got me some solid progress tonight.

Also thanks for that run through the Mau Tun or whatever it's called map. That was fast and fun.

I had a Kaom's Heart drop this morning with 28% Fire resist, and on a whim I hit it with a Divine and rolled a perfect 40%, and about 30 minutes later that sold for 2ex + 55c, so I've got (for me) lots of money with 3ex and about 200c, which is nice. Overall this is easily the best league for me personally so far, and I'm at a personal record depth of 137 in the mine, with only sulphite keeping me from being deeper as I'm having no problem at all with the content at that depth.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Loezi posted:

Could also use some build advice.

My character (link) is at that awkward place at level 91 where it becomes unclear to me on what is a meaningful upgrade and what isn't. I'm riding the edge of what I feel is "too squishy", with PoB saying 6550 Effective Life with the 40% MoM. I have approximately 2ex in easily available currency, maybe one or two more in assets mode difficult to turn into c or ex. I was aiming at getting a 6-link Soul Mantle, but was wondering if there are other ways to get the same, or better, improvement.

I played arc totems in delve. If you are feeling squishy, it's quite possibly because of the curses from Soul Mantle. The advice I got was that if you want to use a Soul Mantle, you should consider running 2x Kikazaru rings to mitigate the curses. That does mean taking off your "Wrath", but you can run the "Self Flagellation" jewel to gain damage from each of your curses. Honestly when I tried it I felt a lot better.

You can find my old character "Pizzoccheri" here - https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/T3suji/characters . I got lucky that league and came into a decent amount of money so I was able to afford a 6L soul mantle plus two void batteries, but I wouldn't say you need them to be successful.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey goons. I'm done for the season due to having unplayable internet so I'm going to be giving away all my gear and currency in global 5555 over the next little while and am never going to touch standard with a 10 ft pole.

Come and get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
To whomever goon I was crafting on rank 4 ar/es on your belt, my home internet just went down. Sorry. I’ll fix it up once I can get back on.