Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Moon Monster posted:

Wait so did they actually cause/exacerbate those fires or does "wildfire liabilities" have some sort of businessy meaning I'm not familiar with.

Line maintenance is too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The Moon Monster posted:

Wait so did they actually cause/exacerbate those fires or does "wildfire liabilities" have some sort of businessy meaning I'm not familiar with.

We could invest in line safety through remote high-risk areas but then our shareholders would get 1% less dividends so....

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

fizzymercy posted:

I worked at a Buc-ees in high school just down the road from corporate. You were required to be a non-smoker, you were only allowed "break moments" that couldn't be more than 5 minutes long, and you were yelled at extensively if any customer complained about anything. I had to go to corporate for service classes where they trained you on every single tiny bit of customer service minutiae that you can possibly imagine. The employee handbook was 182 pages long. I never, ever, had to guess at how to handle a situation with a customer because they had a Rule For That and you were fired if you hosed it up. We prayed before every shift as a requirement.

They also paid $11.22 an hour in 1999 to a 17 year old gently caress up that was super weird and extremely tiresome, so yeah. They're loving rad. Please help keep the bathrooms nice, they're amazingly hard to clean.

That's nuts. I knew someone who worked at one and he really liked it and didn't describe it like this at all. I wonder if it has changed or if he was just a true believer.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's nuts. I knew someone who worked at one and he really liked it and didn't describe it like this at all. I wonder if it has changed or if he was just a true believer.

Whoops, yeah I made that sound awful. It's changed a lot, and also I worked about 15 minutes from HQ in one of the original, normal sized Buc-ees. I didn't mean to make it sound terrible, I loved it there. They worked you hard but treated you with ample respect, which is unicorn-levels of rare for a convenience store.

The non-smoking, yelling, let us pray was worth it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Camp Fire was caused by equipment failure. Said equipment being a metal hook from the 1920s installed on an equally old transmission tower. Because if it ain't broke why fix it?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The 2017 Tubbs fire (the one that decimated parts of Santa Rosa) was also caused by PG&E power lines. so that's 2 wildfires in as many years, plus the pipeline leaks and explosions in Richmond

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

if safety was important, the free market would provide it

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

They're spreading up the highway 52 corridor from Rochester like the shingles virus, too.

I did an infrastructure project for the KT guys not too long ago, their corporate people are some of the nicest clients I've had in a while. They described their growth strategy as pay well, train well, and then do data-gathering and analytics on everything, even down to having people take a company ipad and logging temperatures on hot food racks every hour.

It seems to be working. They've moved into just about every area that didn't have someone doing what they're doing and I've never seen one not busy. The home office in La Crosse had their test kitchen pumping out some surprisingly good buffalo chicken pizza.

Hopefully they murder dead all the lovely BPs in the area that refuse to not be as filthy as they can make them.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Biplane posted:

if safety was important, the free market would provide it

California deserves to burn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

JB50 posted:

California deserves to burn.

"my boom booms that make my peep pee hard aren't allowed in commiefornia booohoohoo"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Gymboree is gone now.

I always wondered how so many kids clothing places stayed open. I mean, kids outgrow clothes so fast that eventually you get hand me downs or shop Goodwill.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Gymboree is gone now.

I always wondered how so many kids clothing places stayed open. I mean, kids outgrow clothes so fast that eventually you get hand me downs or shop Goodwill.

I spent years of my life thinking Gymboree was youth-oriented gymnastic's training.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rick posted:

I spent years of my life thinking Gymboree was youth-oriented gymnastic's training.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, especially because the one at the mall had big foam things shaped like building blocks in the windows.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Snapchat's parent company is losing its CFO after less than a year, and the stock is plummeting

quote:

His exit is the latest of a growing line of Snap execs to jump ship from the company in recent months.

On Monday, Business Insider reported that the company's HR head Jason Halbert was leaving. Head of global strategic partnerships Elizabeth Herbst-Brady left earlier in January. Chief Strategy Ifficer Imran Khan bailed in September 2018. Other high-profile departures include communications VP Mary Ritti, product head Tom Conrad, and sales head Jeff Lucas.

Snap has lost about 2/3 of its value since its IPO less than two years ago.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Gymboree is gone now.

Really it's probably the big box stores eating into their market,a nd the overall death of malls. Second-hand clothing is great, but it's not reliable and when kids get older they want a say in what they're wearing. We got tubs of handme downs for my niece, and still ran to Target to buy new onsie packets because she grew and there were only two from the tubs that would fit the new size.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

red19fire posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, especially because the one at the mall had big foam things shaped like building blocks in the windows.

They have (had?) a business of structured play sessions, where you bring your kids and they do certain learning oriented play stuff but also just run around as part of that

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Rick posted:

I thought so until about 60 seconds ago so I feel extremely dumb

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

sweeperbravo posted:

I thought so until about 60 seconds ago so I feel extremely dumb

No, it definitely started as exactly that, the line of clothes came later.

from USA Today:

Founded in San Francisco in 1976 as a program devoted to nurturing child learning through playtime with parents, Gymboree started its first store in 1986 and now operates stores worldwide under three brands: Gymboree, upscale chain Janie & Jack and value-focused Crazy 8.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Doggles posted:

Snapchat's parent company is losing its CFO after less than a year, and the stock is plummeting

Snap has lost about 2/3 of its value since its IPO less than two years ago.

Good. gently caress anything even tangentially related to social media

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AutoArgus posted:

even down to having people take a company ipad and logging temperatures on hot food racks every hour.

When I worked at Safeway in 2014 they showed me where the temperature gun was kept, and then instructed me to just write down a number that's between the two allowable numbers, and to vary a few tenths of a degree to make it look right.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Kwik Trip has cotton candy faygo soda so they're my top stop

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't have thought I'd like sugar flavored soda as much as I do but that's what cotton candy soda is so...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's like cream flavoured gelato. Beautiful in its purity.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does it taste anything like Inka Kola? That stuff always reminds me of cotton candy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

red19fire posted:

Same. I can't decide if that helped or hurt them. On one hand I was always confused about it, but that was also before I had kids. I guess if I were walking around with kids and saw a store that looked fun for them but I could also buy their clothes at the same time, that might be appealing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sears lives on for now

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1085540433479041024?s=21

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Circling the drain, but just won't go down it. Someone get me a knife.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I like this part from the Wall Street Journal article on it:

quote:

The deal releases Mr. Lampert and others from liability over future lawsuits related to a series of spinoffs that creditors say might have siphoned valuable assets away from the company, the people said. Mr. Lampert has repeatedly denied those accusations.

The classic "burning my own cash to own the people I owe money to" strategy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Except for it’s debt load, Sears I think is getting close to breaking even.

The problem is it won’t grow. It might cut its way to a small glimmer of profitability, but they’ve got all the same long term problems of JC Penney and other department stores with none of the advantages.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I mean, there is a market for general retailers that don't sell the absolute lowest quality goods imaginable; it loving sucks my town has literally nothing but Walmarts and closeout stores a la TJ Maxx/Big Lots. They just have to not be managed by libertarian sociopaths.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My parents who are 60 and 64 don't know anyone other than Sears for large appliances. If their washer broke, for instance, and there was no Sears, I legitimately don't know what they'd do. People of a certain age and income.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My parents who are 60 and 64 don't know anyone other than Sears for large appliances. If their washer broke, for instance, and there was no Sears, I legitimately don't know what they'd do. People of a certain age and income.

Tell them to go outside the house or pick up a yellow pages or something.

How could they possibly be ignorant of other stores?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But saying people of a certain age only shop at Sears does nothing for Sears’ future prospects unless everyone who hits that age is now predisposed to shop there. Like Sears is a condition of aging similar to high waisted pants and baby aspirin.

Sears could try and finally combine their stores with Kmarts and have a Walmartesque environment with appliances, better clothing, and superior tool selections. But that would cost capital that they just don’t have.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sears has been around since 1886. Before the internet, you just bought everything at Sears, or from the Sears catalog, it's the only thing old people know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

But saying people of a certain age only shop at Sears does nothing for Sears’ future prospects unless everyone who hits that age is now predisposed to shop there. Like Sears is a condition of aging similar to high waisted pants and baby aspirin.

Sears could try and finally combine their stores with Kmarts and have a Walmartesque environment with appliances, better clothing, and superior tool selections. But that would cost capital that they just don’t have.

Lets not forget they've already spun-off the brands they used to be known for. Craftsman hasn't been superior for a while, and now either Lowe's or Home Depot owns the brand.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Tell them to go outside the house or pick up a yellow pages or something.

How could they possibly be ignorant of other stores?

I would imagine it's akin to how once you get enough apps on your phone, you can't be assed to install this hip new trendy one that does this new thing, how can you be so stuck in the past?

For instance, I tried snapchat when it first came out. I didn't really get it, none of the buttons were labelled, and frankly it seemed like a time waster to 30 year old me, so I uninstalled it. Same for instagram, same for twitter. Now uber and lyft and all that are a thing, I don't care about them. Amazon is this huge thing, I wish I could just drive to the warehouse and get the stuff myself instead of waiting a week for amazon. I also don't want to pay for prime, so I just don't shop with amazon. I think grocery shopping services are for the super lazy. Frankly most of the 'sharing economy' stuff seems like a solution in search of a problem. Shoot, I wanted to split a bill with some friends and they wanted me to install this venmo thing. I just went to an ATM and got them some cash because screw having to remember yet another password even though I already have a paypal account, but no that's not good enough, this hip new thing bla bla bla.

In other words, I'm not a luddite, I just find a lot of the new 'tech' industry to be a lot of marketing hype and not a lot of substance, and I want very little part of it.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Hell, I'm 30 and moving house and I"m getting pissed off cause every time I think "Oh i'll go get a new muffin pan" or "Hey I really need a new dishwasher" my dumb
brain is like "GO TO SEARS". Except I'm in Canada and welp they're all gone here.

I blame the PTSD from working there for two and a half years. :negative:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Really? My mom and dad are retired and in their early 70s, and they're legit smart about that stuff.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets not forget they've already spun-off the brands they used to be known for. Craftsman hasn't been superior for a while, and now either Lowe's or Home Depot owns the brand.

Black & Decker bought the brand.

The last indignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BloodBag posted:

I would imagine it's akin to how once you get enough apps on your phone, you can't be assed to install this hip new trendy one that does this new thing, how can you be so stuck in the past?

For instance, I tried snapchat when it first came out. I didn't really get it, none of the buttons were labelled, and frankly it seemed like a time waster to 30 year old me, so I uninstalled it. Same for instagram, same for twitter. Now uber and lyft and all that are a thing, I don't care about them. Amazon is this huge thing, I wish I could just drive to the warehouse and get the stuff myself instead of waiting a week for amazon. I also don't want to pay for prime, so I just don't shop with amazon. I think grocery shopping services are for the super lazy. Frankly most of the 'sharing economy' stuff seems like a solution in search of a problem. Shoot, I wanted to split a bill with some friends and they wanted me to install this venmo thing. I just went to an ATM and got them some cash because screw having to remember yet another password even though I already have a paypal account, but no that's not good enough, this hip new thing bla bla bla.

In other words, I'm not a luddite, I just find a lot of the new 'tech' industry to be a lot of marketing hype and not a lot of substance, and I want very little part of it.

Same. If it works I don't want to "fix" it because nowadays that just means changing the marketing style while making it worse.