Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's tough to pick which episode makes people cheer for charismatic space Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

lol but seriously I posted:

so i'm not crazy for thinking that sisko pushed dukat into "explicitly just murder all bajorans" mode right? like he was at least lying to himself that he had their interests at heart before this? is it "better" to wrap all your space racism up in layers of self delusion?

I think it's more that Sisko pushed Dukat into dropping the pretense and saying what he really thought rather than all the justifications he had built up for himself over the years.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
whats wrong with wanting to murder all bajorans?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

rear end cobra posted:

whats wrong with wanting to murder all bajorans?

That would mean you'd have to kill America's favorite son, Steven Weber

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just want to say "Waltz" rules and is one of my favorite episodes

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i am not saying it influenced critical darling six feet under but are there any earlier precursors to the whole "conversation with a person who is not there but you are really talking to yourself" thing? would not be surprised just curious

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Due South is the only show that pops into my head with those criteria.

Xenocides posted:

If you want a dark show about secret operations in the Star Trek Universe just run with it and have it be about the Tal Shiar or the Obsidian Order so you can get rid of the pretense that you are the “good guys”.

You can't reuse Federation starship sets and have half the away mission take place in malls if you go that way. Also, the makeup budget would be 10X what a section 31 show would be.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Blistex posted:

/\ Due South is the only show that pops into my head with those criteria.

You can't reuse Federation starship sets and have half the away mission take place in malls if you go that way. Also, the makeup budget would be 10X what a section 31 show would be.

Use old style Romulans before they altered their faces for some reason. Then all you ave to do is change the ears and give the skin a greener tint and you are done.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Xenocides posted:

Use old style Romulans before they altered their faces for some reason. Then all you ave to do is change the ears and give the skin a greener tint and you are done.

This would also allow the first real exploration of what Romulan culture is actually like.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Star Trek 2009 did away with most of the Romulan face changes anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CaptainSkinny posted:

This would also allow the first real exploration of what Romulan culture is actually like.

diane duance novels apparently have a Romulan romulannness

THS
Sep 15, 2017

CaptainSkinny posted:

vulcan but always horny and angry instead of every 7 years horny and angry

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

THS posted:

vulcan but always horny and angry instead of every 7 years horny and angry

That's kind of the problem. It would be a chance to make them something other than a monoculture. Then again, missed opportunities is the name of the game with new Star Trek.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they need to leave cardassians alone because they nailed non-monoculture perfectly there, despite having a culture with a defined thrust, and that's it, we're not getting another damar. thats it guys go home.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Make a goddamned show with Garak as the lead jeez

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pick posted:

Roddenberry hated them so much he tried to get them yanked out of publication, therefore they are good

Also I would unironically subscribe to CBS All Access for Garak's Weekly Holoprogram Cheers & Jeers

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 16, 2019

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

Roddenberry hated them so much he tried to get them yanked out of publication, therefore they are good

Also I would unironically subscribe to CBS All Access for Garak's Weekly Holoprogram Cheers & Jeers

What didn’t he like about them?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
isn't diane duane the one who wrote Dreadnaught! with it's mary sue character and objectivist ranting

if so she sucks

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

isn't diane duane the one who wrote Dreadnaught! with it's mary sue character and objectivist ranting

if so she sucks

Wrong Diane, that was Diane Carey.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just want to say "Waltz" rules and is one of my favorite episodes

Watching it now and lol at Potatoes' palpable disappointment when he beams two randos aboard instead of Sisko.

"Great, more fookin' officers..."

Laterite fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 16, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
What if Romulans but they were descended from Rom when he falls backward in time after fiddling with a ship's warp core.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Diane Duane's Star Trek books are pretty good. In addition to the Romulan books, she wrote, among others, "Spock's World", which is set on Vulcan and is half Kirk and the gang and half about Vulcan history, Doctor's Orders, where McCoy finds himself in charge of the Enterprise, and Dark Mirror, which is a TNG book where mirror universe Enterprise shows up, and actual Enterprise has to stop them. There's this great scene where Picard finds himself in Mirror Universe Picard's quarters, looking at his library. He starts flipping through the books, which are a lot darker than the real versions (For instance, in their Merchant of Venice, Portia orders Shylock to cut out Antonio's heart, and mocks Antonio about it). Picard then starts to pick up a bible, then puts it back, deciding he'd rather not know.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
concept: romulan anime

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Makes sense. Way back then he founded a settlement called Rom’s and Yours Land. Over time it got shortened to Romyours Land. Then even shorter to Romyourlan. Then we have Romulan.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Have you read them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

concept: romulan anime

I get the feeling they'd like Death Note, or those fantasy/sci-fi epics with super complicated plots where scheming bastards have plans within plans that involve giant robot battles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

Have you read them

no, but I have them, FCA lent them to me a couple weeks ago

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

no, but I have them, FCA lent them to me a couple weeks ago

they were cool as a kid I should read them again. I liked the language and history segments and stuff

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Human anime is to boobs as
Romulan anime is to shoulders.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling they'd like Death Note, or those fantasy/sci-fi epics with super complicated plots where scheming bastards have plans within plans that involve giant robot battles.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes sounds right up their alley

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i love morn

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Laterite posted:

i love morn

morn's a drunk. he won't treat you right

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

I DO NOT PLAY WITH TOYS. -WORF

The future's so bright, I gotta Worf Shades

I know this is a typo but now I wanna see a Star Trek Warehouse 13 about the special team that confiscates all the ultrapowerful tech that the Enterprise makes/discovers to solve their weekly problems and secures all the dangerous anomalies and artifacts like the Guardian of Forever and Iconian gateways.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

lol but seriously I posted:

morn's a drunk. he won't treat you right

riker would be fun and considerate until you've given up the goods then you'd get ghosted

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
picard would be so aloof that you will drive yourself crazy trying define what exactly it is you have got going on until you just sever to be done with it

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

shovelbum posted:

Have you read them

I have. Her books are pretty good.

naem
May 29, 2011

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lol, this rules

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Xenocides posted:

I could see a Section 31 show working if it involves mostly benign missions and then slowly grows darker and the protagonists eventually rebel against it and work together to expose it. The thing I do not get is who is behind it? The Federation Council? The President? Who is authorizing this stuff? Or are these more extreme measures unauthorized by the leadership?

If you want a dark show about secret operations in the Star Trek Universe just run with it and have it be about the Tal Shiar or the Obsidian Order so you can get rid of the pretense that you are the “good guys”.

The whole point of Section 31, which pretty much everyone but the original DS9 writers who came up with it have missed, is that there was nobody from the Federation behind it. It was a completely 100% unsanctioned terrorist group that had deluded themselves into thinking they were the hard men the Federation clearly needed to do hard things to protect Paradise.

Honestly, that's what kind of irks me about Ross looking the other way/tacitly supporting their actions on Romulus. Not only because it was almost a complete 180 from his characterization up to that point, but because it was the first time a Federation official was at all implied to be working with them in any way, which then grew with the last plot line involving them RE: the Founder disease and Starfleet Medical.

But anyway, seriously, the whole thing about Section 31 is that they're supposed to be a bunch of completely unsanctioned terrorists that have no connection to or support from whatsoever to the Federation, and trying to pawn them off as being 'the Federation's CIA' is just...wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Laterite posted:

i love morn

I was always disappointed that they never gave Morn a bar-mate. . . named Filc.