Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Athens isn't really a party city. It has bars but its not Berlin or Prague or Budapest. If you want to party in Greece you go to the islands afaik.

If you stay at a party hostel, you aren't going to be able to turn off, its going to be party party party. Either the owners or the workers at party hostels get kickbacks for signing you up to 'events' that you could just organise yourself for less with people you actually like. You're planning your own trip instead of going to a travel agent, why go to a party hostel to have them do the same thing? I got a really bad impression from the party hostels I stayed at, the environment is very high pressure, the people working there often have to take pills because they drink enough to put any alcoholic to shame. I was talking to one girl who'd recently started working at one, and she interupted me because her gums were bleeding. The manager of the hostel quickly jumped in and told her the exact thing she needed to ask for at the chemist in Hungarian because everyones gums did that once they'd worked there for long enough. So much alcohol their loving gums bled :stare:. And this was just a normal thing for them, like tissues for a blocked nose or paracetamol for a headache.

The people who stay at party hostels are just there to gently caress and drink, which okay yeah sure, but thats all they want to do and all they want to talk about, and they are all really insecure and shallow and fake and eughh. On the other hand, I had an absolute blast sharing a bottle of cheap vodka with people I shared dorm rooms with in not party hostels, usually people I'd only met hours earlier when I got there. Depends how old you are I guess as to whether or not you'll get along with the type of person in a party hostel but either way the lifestyle of the people working at them is extremely :stonk:. I was 22 and it felt like talking to highschool kids, even the people way older than me.

Any hostel is going to have lots of people in it, don't think that you need to go to a party hostel to meet people. Talk to the other people in your rooms, hang out at the bar, hang out in the lounge. If you stay in Athens, Athens backpackers is at the foot of the acropolis and extremely good if you want a base to see the historic sites of the city. I was a solo traveller and hung out with a different group at that hostel every single day, some days more than one group, most of which I met in my room or downstairs on the couches in the kitchen. Athens is really loving cool IMO if you have any interest in history, especially so if you know enough to know what you're looking at. All the major sites are unguided, you walk around yourself, but you can also choose to go on walking tours. The one organised by the hostel I mentioned is pretty good, you dont go in anything but it's something you'd do on your first day to learn a bit about most of the major landmarks.

Athens is definitely a pretty chill city. The roads are chaotic and I wouldn't want to live there but as a tourist its really laidback and there's lots to see. The historic sites are big, and you can wonder around and look at them to your hearts content. I was at the Parthenon around sunnset, and I just found a clear spot and lied down using my bag as a pillow and enjoyed it. Definitely not rushed. If you want to go out and drink, there's plenty of bars, but not really any clubs or party scene afaik.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

underage at the vape shop posted:

Is there a time of year where the historic sites in Rome aren't overcrowded? Obviously the Vatican and things like the Colloseum are always going to be popular but I'm not very interested in going inside the vatican, I mostly want to see stuff from the Empire.

Ehhh not really, I was there in April, which is considered to be one of the lowest-trafficked months by toursits, and the Forum and all the associated spots were still pretty packed. If you actually went out to some of the less popular sites, though, like Ostia Antica and the Circus Maximus, you definitely had a lot more space to yourself.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

underage at the vape shop posted:

If you stay at a party hostel, you aren't going to be able to turn off, its going to be party party party. Either the owners or the workers at party hostels get kickbacks for signing you up to 'events' that you could just organise yourself for less with people you actually like. You're planning your own trip instead of going to a travel agent, why go to a party hostel to have them do the same thing? I got a really bad impression from the party hostels I stayed at, the environment is very high pressure, the people working there often have to take pills because they drink enough to put any alcoholic to shame. I was talking to one girl who'd recently started working at one, and she interupted me because her gums were bleeding. The manager of the hostel quickly jumped in and told her the exact thing she needed to ask for at the chemist in Hungarian because everyones gums did that once they'd worked there for long enough. So much alcohol their loving gums bled :stare:. And this was just a normal thing for them, like tissues for a blocked nose or paracetamol for a headache.

The people who stay at party hostels are just there to gently caress and drink, which okay yeah sure, but thats all they want to do and all they want to talk about, and they are all really insecure and shallow and fake and eughh. On the other hand, I had an absolute blast sharing a bottle of cheap vodka with people I shared dorm rooms with in not party hostels, usually people I'd only met hours earlier when I got there. Depends how old you are I guess as to whether or not you'll get along with the type of person in a party hostel but either way the lifestyle of the people working at them is extremely :stonk:. I was 22 and it felt like talking to highschool kids, even the people way older than me.

Thanks for the perspective. I've never seen a party hostel that bad as you've described and I've stayed at a few of the most famous ones, but I get it. I've met a lot of standard British lad boors who are as you described, but I've also met a lot of people who I guess are like me-- want to have fun interactions and experiences during the day, but yeah, I wanna get drunk and potentially hook up at night. I've also stayed at enough hostels to know that it's easy to show up at one and have it be very solitary like a hotel-lite, so I tend to skew more towards the party side. That's what Crete / Ios / Mykonos is going to be for, I guess. Just gotta figure out where to stay while there. Athens I'm not too worried about since we're not going there to party hard.

And after some talk with friends, we are going to combine Greece and Oktoberfest so looks like we're going to Greece mid-September for a week and then hitting up Munich starting the Tuesday after Oktoberfest starts.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Go to Athens. Save your travel time and stay in the same country.

Athens is young and fairly 'hip' with lots of great places to eat and drink. You will not be disappointed if you want history - there are free mini museums in metro stations and you'll turn a corner on a modern street and be confronted with ancient ruins. It's quite something.

I don't know personally but it feels like you'd be able to find a punk/hardcore club there too if you do a bit of research.

Eat at Akordeon, drink at Six d.o.g.s, skip the archaeological museum but hit up the one at the bottom of the Acropolis. The Panatheneic Stadium is also a cool bit of history and I think I actually shed a tear at the Temple of Olympian Zeus because its REALLY FUCKIN' OLD and just standing in the middle of this bustling city!

Athens really captured my imagination and I think it's definitely worth a visit if you're at all able.

Awesome. This is perfect. Thank you. Yeah, we'll probably spend 2 - 3 days there after Crete / Ios / Mykonos (not sure which exactly ATM) but before we head out to Oktoberfest.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 14, 2019

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I just used most of the remainder of my miles to book a trip to Italy this fall. Barring schedule changes we're going to have a nine hour layover at CDG on the way there so we'll probably try to get out and see the city for an afternoon. I've only gone through security at CDG twice ever but I don't remember it being particularly long or anything, but when I'm looking online I'm seeing a bunch of people saying that getting back to the airport anything less than 3 hours before the flight is risky. I assume that's just really nervous people posting on the Internet but I thought I'd ask the thread. Does CDG get crazy long lines sometimes? It'll be a Monday late afternoon/evening if it matters.

Because right now we're scheduled to land at 11:10AM and depart at 8:35 that evening. So I figure even if I allocate an hour and a half to get through immigration and then another hour to get in to the city I'm looking at 3-4 hours before we have to head back. 3-4 hours is worth it since my wife has never been to Paris so we can at least see some of the iconic stuff. But if we'd have to turn around after just an hour or two it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I just used most of the remainder of my miles to book a trip to Italy this fall. Barring schedule changes we're going to have a nine hour layover at CDG on the way there so we'll probably try to get out and see the city for an afternoon. I've only gone through security at CDG twice ever but I don't remember it being particularly long or anything, but when I'm looking online I'm seeing a bunch of people saying that getting back to the airport anything less than 3 hours before the flight is risky. I assume that's just really nervous people posting on the Internet but I thought I'd ask the thread. Does CDG get crazy long lines sometimes? It'll be a Monday late afternoon/evening if it matters.

Because right now we're scheduled to land at 11:10AM and depart at 8:35 that evening. So I figure even if I allocate an hour and a half to get through immigration and then another hour to get in to the city I'm looking at 3-4 hours before we have to head back. 3-4 hours is worth it since my wife has never been to Paris so we can at least see some of the iconic stuff. But if we'd have to turn around after just an hour or two it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

That’s right. You definitely in no way need to be at an airport three hours before a flight, including CDG, that’s insane. Leaving your central Paris hotel 3 hours before your flight takes off would be reasonable, since it takes like an hour and change door to door.

Unless something super bizarre is going on, but if there is, you’ll notice when you leave the airport if 90% of the screening staff is on strike or whatever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Saladman posted:

That’s right. You definitely in no way need to be at an airport three hours before a flight, including CDG, that’s insane. Leaving your central Paris hotel 3 hours before your flight takes off would be reasonable, since it takes like an hour and change door to door.

Unless something super bizarre is going on, but if there is, you’ll notice when you leave the airport if 90% of the screening staff is on strike or whatever.

Thanks. That matches what I was thinking. I figured getting back on the RER towards the airport at about 5:30 would give us plenty of time to make an 8:35 flight.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
In July, I take a board certification exam on a Thursday and don’t start my job until 3 weeks later, so for the first time in our marriage, we’re limited by my wife’s PTO and not mine. We can do 8 working days off, so we’re working on an itinerary.

Neither of us have ever been to Barcelona or France, and they’re close enough that we’d like to do both. We’re leaving Friday July 12th and coming back either the 24th.

My initial plan was something like, 4 days in Madrid (+ a travel day), 4 in Barça, and 3 in Nice. Is that a reasonable idea? I know it’s impossible to see all of Madrid or Barça in that time, but we’re ok just hitting the highlights. I would like to take a day trip to Montserrat, and I think we can swing that.

I had also kicked around the idea of going to Paris, but we just don’t have enough time.

Dicking around with flights, the itinerary could be something like 3 days in Madrid, 3 in Barcelona, 2 in Nice, and 3 in Paris...which seems like a lot. I think the original plan of skipping Paris is the way to go?

Aggro fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My wife and I will be traveling to Ireland in a few months and want to get a pair of prepaid SIM cards to use while we are there. We both have unlocked "international" model iPhones which should work no problems with an appropriate SIM.

Ideally I would like to order them ahead of time and just swap them over on the plane so we never have to worry about our phones trying to connect to some tower and getting dinged with some insane Verizon international roaming charge. Any suggestions on ones that we can order online and have delivered in the US?

A few gigs of data is all I'm after, maybe 5-10. We're taking a tour that will be going out into the countryside so it can't be a Dublin-only type deal (I have no loving clue how cell providers work there but here there are some providers that are effectively unusable outside of major cities).

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Aggro posted:

In July, I take a board certification exam on a Thursday and don’t start my job until 3 weeks later, so for the first time in our marriage, we’re limited by my wife’s PTO and not mine. We can do 8 working days off, so we’re working on an itinerary.

Neither of us have ever been to Barcelona or France, and they’re close enough that we’d like to do both. We’re leaving Friday July 12th and coming back either the 24th.

My initial plan was something like, 4 days in Madrid (+ a travel day), 4 in Barça, and 3 in Nice. Is that a reasonable idea? I know it’s impossible to see all of Madrid or Barça in that time, but we’re ok just hitting the highlights. I would like to take a day trip to Montserrat, and I think we can swing that.

I had also kicked around the idea of going to Paris, but we just don’t have enough time.

Dicking around with flights, the itinerary could be something like 3 days in Madrid, 3 in Barcelona, 2 in Nice, and 3 in Paris...which seems like a lot. I think the original plan of skipping Paris is the way to go?

I'd do 3 days Lisbon, 4 days Barça, 4 days Paris. I'd skip Nice and Madrid, but it seems you're really interested in those two cities.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shifty Pony posted:

My wife and I will be traveling to Ireland in a few months and want to get a pair of prepaid SIM cards to use while we are there. We both have unlocked "international" model iPhones which should work no problems with an appropriate SIM.

Ideally I would like to order them ahead of time and just swap them over on the plane so we never have to worry about our phones trying to connect to some tower and getting dinged with some insane Verizon international roaming charge. Any suggestions on ones that we can order online and have delivered in the US?

A few gigs of data is all I'm after, maybe 5-10. We're taking a tour that will be going out into the countryside so it can't be a Dublin-only type deal (I have no loving clue how cell providers work there but here there are some providers that are effectively unusable outside of major cities).

I haven’t been through Dublin airport specifically, but I’d imagine there are several places in the arrivals hall where you can get tourist SIM cards.

Don’t worry about roaming charges, you can turn off data roaming in your iPhone settings (and you definitely should).

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm going to plug this wiki again, which covers prepaid data options for pretty much any country in the world. Ireland doesn't require registration of SIMs like some other countries, so availability on the ground (or through resellers online) should be good.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Shifty Pony posted:

None of the mobile providers here will ship SIM cards overseas, I'm afraid, but you may be able to buy a prepaid SIM at WHSmith or Spar at the Dublin airport. No idea what they cost or what providers and plans they sell, though. Any of 'em will work everywhere in Ireland; some networks have slightly better coverage than others, of course, but there aren't really any completely dead zones around here unless you're hiking deep inside one of the larger mountain ranges or out on the Skelligs or something. No idea what the prices or terms will be for SIMs sold through some third party like that, so just go with whichever provides the data you need. If they're charging you much more than €30 or so, they're probably ripping you off, though. Just remember to turn off data roaming on your phones after you board the plane to avoid getting dinged with any roaming charges here before you swap SIMs.

Edit: One thing to note; if you venture into Northern Ireland, it might or might not still be free to roam there (depending on circumstances... :britain: ), but if it is still free, you will probably still have a lower roaming data limit on your plan than the limit within Ireland, so make sure you read the terms of service carefully.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 16, 2019

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

As long as you turn it on in advance Verizon is $10/day per phone to use pretty much anywhere in Europe. Not ideal or something you'd want to use for the entire trip, but something to keep in mind if you can't find a SIM card right away and need to turn it on to find directions or check in or anything like that.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Just eject your SIM before landing, then find one in the arrivals hall and buy it. I used 3 UK SIM when I went in 2016 because the roaming through Europe was leagues ahead of the competition but the recent laws about fairer roaming costs have probably flattened the field.

Do research and check it again in March-ish once Brexit shakes out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thanks everyone! Sounds like grabbing one on arrival will be the thing to do.

And we're showing up a few weeks after Brexit, so hopefully that doesn't make it interesting in the wrong ways.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shifty Pony posted:

And we're showing up a few weeks after Brexit, so hopefully that doesn't make it interesting in the wrong ways.

You realize Ireland is a different country right

(though if you planned to go up to Belfast, yeah you might have some issues)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly the worst case scenario is that you have to buy a different SIM card when you cross into Northern Ireland. I really wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shifty Pony posted:

Tescomobile do a 15 euro sim only 15gb package plus free calls to other tesco mobile numbers but I've heard they aren't a great provider in more rural areas. I seriously doubt you'd encounter any totally dead zones unless you're planning to spend a lot of time on the backside of a very isolated mountain though.

https://www.tescomobile.ie/sim-only-plans.aspx

Vodaphone are supposed to have better coverage away from the cities, but it looks like their comparable plan/s are around 20 euro for 20gb of data

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/sim-only/pay-as-you-go

Basically there are only 3 actual networks to choose between - Eir, Vodaphone and Three - every other provider is just renting infrastructure from one of them, so Tesco runs off Three's network but offers their own packages.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Driving in Europe:

Want to drive from Blighty around the EU a little before it all goes to poo poo, so I am planning a couple of weeks to visit Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and passing through France.

I'm trying to make sure I haven't forgotten anything related to the car. So far my list is:

1) yellow vest x no of occupants
2) UK driving licence
3) all my car docs (registration & insurance cert)
4) beam deflectors
5) satnav with EU maps
6) breakdown insurance (?)

Anything that I might have missed out? Also any tips for driving in those countries that I should be aware of?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

stay on the right

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

Driving in Europe:

Want to drive from Blighty around the EU a little before it all goes to poo poo, so I am planning a couple of weeks to visit Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and passing through France.

I'm trying to make sure I haven't forgotten anything related to the car. So far my list is:

1) yellow vest x no of occupants
2) UK driving licence
3) all my car docs (registration & insurance cert)
4) beam deflectors
5) satnav with EU maps
6) breakdown insurance (?)

Anything that I might have missed out? Also any tips for driving in those countries that I should be aware of?

First aid kit, warning triangle

e: Dunno where you're going in Germany, but an emissions sticker would be handy

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Drone posted:

You realize Ireland is a different country right

(though if you planned to go up to Belfast, yeah you might have some issues)

Oh of course, I was mostly joking but it doesn't take much to turn international air travel into a total clown orgy.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jeoh posted:

First aid kit, warning triangle

e: Dunno where you're going in Germany, but an emissions sticker would be handy

Forgot to mention that I have a triangle, first aid kit, bulb kit and the usual bits and pieces to keep a car going.
(and will disable speed camera warnings on the satnav)

Didn't know about the emissions certificate, thanks - either of these places do? (I plan to drive in Dusseldorf)
https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php
https://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/feinstaub-plakette/feinstaubplakette_ausland/england
https://www.tuev-nord.de/en/private/traffic/car-motorcycle-caravan/emissions-sticker/order/
(any idea who would be faster?)

My Lovely Horse posted:

stay on the right

Thinking about getting a post-it note on the speedo to remind me.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 17, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In France it's theoretically required to carry a single-use alcohol breath test device on board, although I've never heard of tourists being asked for one. You can get those things in gas station shops for like 5 eur though.

Note that in Belgium it's required to store the safety vests in a place reachable from the driver's seat without exiting the car.

For the German emissions sticker, TUV is the German automobile association and any supplied by them are fine. It's indeed easiest to order them online in advance.

A handful of French cities also require emission stickers in the city center. The German emissions sticker is *not* valid there. The last time I checked, it's a bit of a mess in France. Every city implementing this has its own rules. For instance, some only check if the particle levels in the air are above a certain value. If you don't plan to spend long in France I suggest not going to those cities so you don't have to sort that mess out.

Remember to take roundabouts counterclockwise, and remember that on intersections without clear yield signs or without the orange diamond "right of way" sign, you have to yield to traffic coming from your right. This includes yielding to bicycles, mopeds and cars, but not to pedestrians (those only get priority on zebra crossings).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In France it's theoretically required to carry a single-use alcohol breath test device on board, although I've never heard of tourists being asked for one. You can get those things in gas station shops for like 5 eur though.

Note that in Belgium it's required to store the safety vests in a place reachable from the driver's seat without exiting the car.

For the German emissions sticker, TUV is the German automobile association and any supplied by them are fine. It's indeed easiest to order them online in advance.

A handful of French cities also require emission stickers in the city center. The German emissions sticker is *not* valid there. The last time I checked, it's a bit of a mess in France. Every city implementing this has its own rules. For instance, some only check if the particle levels in the air are above a certain value. If you don't plan to spend long in France I suggest not going to those cities so you don't have to sort that mess out.

Remember to take roundabouts counterclockwise, and remember that on intersections without clear yield signs or without the orange diamond "right of way" sign, you have to yield to traffic coming from your right. This includes yielding to bicycles, mopeds and cars, but not to pedestrians (those only get priority on zebra crossings).

God bless America

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

God bless America

You guys just got a fetish for unnecessary stop signs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shut up Meg posted:

(I plan to drive in Dusseldorf)

Go to Füchschen brewery!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Blinkman987 posted:

God bless America

Tradeoff's worth it imo

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Many thanks for the effort post - it is much appreciated and helpful.

I see lots of articles saying that the French breath test regulations seem to exist in something of a legal limbo, but I guess I'll buy one just in case I encounter a gendarme in a bad mood.
I've just ordered the German sticker online. I am not planning to visit any French cities (partly due to the occasional unrest)

Beachcomber posted:

Go to Füchschen brewery!

Thanks for the recommendation. Any other suggestions for places of interest are welcomed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Make sure you budget for the French motorways as they’re tolled pretty heavily. As a rough guide it’s about one euro per 10 kilometres, so if you do a few hundred kms it adds up pretty quick.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

webmeister posted:

Make sure you budget for the French motorways as they’re tolled pretty heavily. As a rough guide it’s about one euro per 10 kilometres, so if you do a few hundred kms it adds up pretty quick.

Yeah, or if time is not an issue go for a more scenic route using smaller roads.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Shifty Pony posted:

I use a Three UK sim for all of my Europe trips. Sure, the number will be a UK number but works most anywhere in Europe and Ireland. I've picked them up from Ebay for about $30 shipped and comes with enough credit on it for a £20 30 day 12gb plan.

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

uli2000 posted:

I use a Three UK sim for all of my Europe trips. Sure, the number will be a UK number but works most anywhere in Europe and Ireland. I've picked them up from Ebay for about $30 shipped and comes with enough credit on it for a £20 30 day 12gb plan.

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam

If you're at all concerned about Brexit and its impossible-to-foresee immediate effects, I wouldn't buy a UK SIM card.

I mean, it'll definitely still -work- after Brexit, but roaming fees that were abolished within the EU in 2017 might suddenly get slapped on.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Drone posted:

If you're at all concerned about Brexit and its impossible-to-foresee immediate effects, I wouldn't buy a UK SIM card.

I mean, it'll definitely still -work- after Brexit, but roaming fees that were abolished within the EU in 2017 might suddenly get slapped on.

I can imagine some ceo sitting in his darkened lair, looking at a big green button on his desk and salivating

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, or if time is not an issue go for a more scenic route using smaller roads.

Absolutely this. The French motorways are really nice, they're wide and smooth. But the toll system is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen, they just plonk a toll island in the middle of the drat thing at random intervals where the entire motorway has to stop and pay €1.35, €3.60, €8.30 or who knows, just pay now. How bad is it when your public planning infrastructure is embarrassingly bad when compared with Italy? There you just take a ticket when you get on the motorway and you pay when you exit, easy!

Anyway the A roads in France are much more interesting and scenic anyway so we usually just take those.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

uli2000 posted:

I was running though my list of stuff to get (appropriate plugs, etc) and had mentally planned '4 countries=4 sim cards'
Imagine my joy when I learnt of this EU ruling and that my UK sim would be fine.

Beachcomber posted:

I can imagine some ceo sitting in his darkened lair, looking at a big green button on his desk and salivating
Then I felt sad about brexit.

greazeball posted:

Anyway the A roads in France are much more interesting and scenic anyway so we usually just take those.

Time in France will be mostly limited to getting to the Netherlands, so worst case will be a couple of tolls, but I definitely agree that the A roads are going to be more enjoyable.
I'm hoping that the 'avoid toll roads' feature on my Garmin will actually work.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

I see lots of articles saying that the French breath test regulations seem to exist in something of a legal limbo, but I guess I'll buy one just in case I encounter a gendarme in a bad mood.

I did the same, then I found out those stupid things expire after like a year, or maybe it was two years. What a pain in the rear end object to require everyone to have in their car. It's like the weird vaguely-well-meaning requirements they have in corrupt dictatorships that are used as excuses to fine drivers so that the government doesn't have to pay its police officers a living wage (e.g. a fire extinguisher is a mandatory object to have in your car in Cameroon). I imagine in France it's a MADD gone wild kind of issue, but it still rings of bullshit. As if anyone is going to use their single-use car breathalyzer to determine whether they're too drunk to drive. I bet it has prevented zero accidents in the 5-ish years it has been in place.

E: I've been pulled over twice in France and was not asked either time, but YMMV. Once for having no front plates on my car (which was legal for my car, but it was weird so they stopped me after I passed a stopped cop car on a country road) and once for gunning an orange. I don't even drive that much in France and I've never been pulled over anywhere else.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 21, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Umweltplakette arrived in today's post and I only applied last friday afternoon. They must have done it within a couple of hours of my online application, which is drat impressive.

Saladman posted:

I did the same, then I found out those stupid things expire after like a year, or maybe it was two years. What a pain in the rear end object to require everyone to have in their car. It's like the weird vaguely-well-meaning requirements they have in corrupt dictatorships that are used as excuses to fine drivers so that the government doesn't have to pay its police officers a living wage (e.g. a fire extinguisher is a mandatory object to have in your car in Cameroon). I imagine in France it's a MADD gone wild kind of issue, but it still rings of bullshit. As if anyone is going to use their single-use car breathalyzer to determine whether they're too drunk to drive. I bet it has prevented zero accidents in the 5-ish years it has been in place.

I don't hate on the desire to increase safety and don't mind spending a handful of Euros on stuff to sit in the back of the car, but I do agree that it's not really taking into account the reality of the world.

e.g. spare bulb kits: I replace my own bulbs, so I already had a complete set in the back already (albeit in various packets, rather than a neat plastic box), so making it compulsory made no difference to me. But my colleague Ann doesn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other and would never even attempt to replace a bulb. My other colleague, Bob, would simply take it to the nearest main dealer and pay EUR50 to get it replaced.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shut up Meg posted:

Time in France will be mostly limited to getting to the Netherlands, so worst case will be a couple of tolls, but I definitely agree that the A roads are going to be more enjoyable.
I'm hoping that the 'avoid toll roads' feature on my Garmin will actually work.

AFAIK the highway from Calais to Belgium is toll-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
My partner and I finally have time in our schedules to take our honeymoon trip to Italy, only two and a half years late. At the moment we're looking at spending 8 nights in Turin, and 5 in Asti, but I might tweak those. I've got a list of things I want to check out, but mostly I was curious if anyone has any recommendations for flying to Italy from the United States - this'll be my first time traveling to Europe, and if there's a crap airline or something, I'd like to know what to avoid!