Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Good Listener posted:

If Slaughter lost the deal when he returned in 1990, I'm assuming the toyline was kind of waning in popularity as well at that point.

By 1990, the Ninja Turtles had straight up buried GI Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

According to this, Sarge's last Joe figure was in 1989, and he didn't get another until 2006:

https://www.yojoe.com/action/89/sgtslaughter4.shtml

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nipponophile posted:

Three of my favorite wrestlers are AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels, and they're apparently lifelong best friends.

Daniels, Joe, Kaz and Cena all trained together in UPW together

there's even a training video set with them taking bumps

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

Three of my favorite wrestlers are AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels, and they're apparently lifelong best friends.

Every time I see Christopher Daniels' name, I get mad all over again at the capricious cruelties of genetics.

If Christopher Daniels had Matt Morgan's body, we'd be saying "Dwayne who?" right now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If he had Matt Morgan's body, he would've gotten yelled at for actually doing any cool moves.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Maybe it's because I don't know or like all that many new wrestlers. Things have changed so much in the 21st Century, I suspect a lot of the old animosities are a result of the older ways maybe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was the point of Greg Valentine?

Besides looking like Ric Flair's older lesbian sister.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What was the point of Greg Valentine?

Besides looking like Ric Flair's older lesbian sister.

He was a good territorial heel who was really easy to dislike because he looked like (and was) a vicious rear end in a top hat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Valentine was one of those guys who meant something to a territory promotion but was just kind of there in the WWF. His gimmick was that he was a bastard who used dangerous moves that injured people. He played on that a few times in the WWF, but it's not like he was on the level where they were going to do an injury angle with him and a top star.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

His peak in WWF was also before the first Wrestlemania and he was pretty much permanently on his way down the card shortly after it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He had the personality of a loving ficus.

And what was with the WWF in the 80s bringing in these guys that got over in a specific way, and then completely changing it? Or did they keep doing it because it was successful with the Bushwhackers?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Greg Valentine is a great example of a good territory guy, who could be an asset in a lot of places, but in WWE, will have none of his strengths highlighted.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Some of it was just robbing smaller companies of their best talent. Plenty of WWF jobbers had meant something to a regional promotion. But it was also still meaningful at that point to retain the fanbase these guys had had in a territory, which is why Ricky Steamboat kept his silly name.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

He played on that a few times in the WWF, but it's not like he was on the level where they were going to do an injury angle with him and a top star.

They literally did it when he beat Tito for the IC title.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

And what was with the WWF in the 80s bringing in these guys that got over in a specific way, and then completely changing it? Or did they keep doing it because it was successful with the Bushwhackers?

They literally never stopped doing that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TriffTshngo posted:

They literally never stopped doing that.

Oh, I realize it still happens, but the Sheepherder->Bushwhacker thing is amazing. Has there been a more recent example of a complete change like that?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Some of it was just robbing smaller companies of their best talent. Plenty of WWF jobbers had meant something to a regional promotion. But it was also still meaningful at that point to retain the fanbase these guys had had in a territory, which is why Ricky Steamboat kept his silly name.

Koko B Ware was a pretty big star in Memphis...not so much in WWE

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Were the Sheepherders vicious heels instead of comedy faces or something? I know nothing about them pre-Bushwhackers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Were the Sheepherders vicious heels instead of comedy faces or something? I know nothing about them pre-Bushwhackers.

Yes. Literally nothing was the same except having the same guys in the team. (their brawling style also worked much, much better as vicious heels)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
They were originally more "Wake in Fright" hillbillies than "Beverly" hillbillies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Google either one of them and take a look at their foreheads.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Are the sheepherders still the only people to have a ***** match and a -***** match?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Google either one of them and take a look at their foreheads.

They've taken a lot of licks for sure.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the biggest upset in wrestling history?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Me when Jericho had to hand the title back to Triple H after his first title win :negative:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

21-1

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jerusalem posted:

Me when Jericho had to hand the title back to Triple H after his first title win :negative:

god, loving same

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

Undertaker losing to Lesnar. Much less so but probably still relevant to the modern age is Rollins cashing in at the height of "Reigns is gonna beat Lesnar for the title" hysteria.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Not Lightning Kid beating Razor? I saw him on GWF but still assumed he was there as a jobber

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Okada defeating Tanahashi at New Beginning 2012 might also be right up there: pretty sure that no one predicted that one without inside information.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Misawa beating Jumbo Tsuruta clean was a big upset that led to a golden age for All Japan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I genuinely wonder what would have happened if they'd called the audible and let Jericho hold it as a babyface for a bit.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I always thought a good answer to the biggest upset question was Horowitz Wins, even if it's wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Greg Valentine was responsible for the great "I broke Wahoo's leg" shirt and thus was great even if the only pre-WWF Valentine I've seen was the really bloody dog collar match with Piper at the first Starcade

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
man i remember back when Lesnar and Undertaker were having that Wrestlemania match, i still had friends that would watch wrestling with me in real life, and i didn't have to post here. the match was so bad and i knew Taker was winning so i wasn't paying a lot of attention and when Lesnar pinned Taker i didn't understand what i was seeing. it's like being in a car crash, those few seconds after the pin stretched out into infinity while i thought about how The Undertaker would win the match after Lesnar got a 3 count on him

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
and now brock gets to have a marquee mania match every year where the outcome is almost never in doubt and the quality varies wildly from "really bad" to "ok"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Low Desert Punk posted:

Vader squashing Inoki.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Baron Corbin posted:

man i remember back when Lesnar and Undertaker were having that Wrestlemania match, i still had friends that would watch wrestling with me in real life, and i didn't have to post here. the match was so bad and i knew Taker was winning so i wasn't paying a lot of attention and when Lesnar pinned Taker i didn't understand what i was seeing. it's like being in a car crash, those few seconds after the pin stretched out into infinity while i thought about how The Undertaker would win the match after Lesnar got a 3 count on him

I watched that at a bar and when the ref counted 3 no one cheered except my friend the Brock fan and it was only a second as the reality set in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

Vader squashing Inoki.
This may be true, but in terms of history repeated the most often is 123 Kid and Scott Hall, rightly or wrongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I also remember some people speculating that it was an audible and you could hear Lesnar thanking Undertaker as he pinned him.

I mean, there's no way it was but people were in shock.