Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man they keep saying all the right stuff. Don't let me down Massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

They won’t see ya all day one yay!!!!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm pretty happy about the normalization, especially for lower level DZ because now there's actually a point to going in there without getting melted by higher level players.

I have a few concerns, the one I can talk about is the shock ammo from the Thieves' Den. On one hand it sounds annoying. But I see it's a good incentive to go in the Thieves' Den, especially because it requires going rogue and hacking 3 terminals -without killing anyone- to get inside. I'm hoping it's just a temporary buff for one magazine, and you can't pull some exploit poo poo to go in the Den over and over and fill your backpack with shock bullets. And maybe in a game where you can snipe effectively it won't be a huge imbalance.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's nice that all this stuff is coming out, can finally talk about it.

The dark zone in the alpha heavily lacked that sense of tension the div 1 dz offers and I've always been a big proponent of real tension and real stress heightening the quality of experience in games buuuuut we all know how that tension actually plays out in 1. This is going to be a great thing for the game, you'll see tons more activity in the DZ even during down times.

Love what I'm hearing about how they'll be using events to manipulate the population flow. Didn't notice that from the alpha but it sounds brilliant.

The only issue I had with the DZ in the alpha was the huge roving gangs of PVE players racing from one landmark to the next. They coalesced out of solo players and smaller groups going after the easy non-extract drops and we got caught up in them a few times. It kind of wasn't great gameplay because they were fast and the only game you were playing was keep-up so that you could get your few bullets in to be given credit and receive drops. Chasing pve groups to get my drops was powerfully unfun.

Finally, these kinds of gangs are also going to shred anyone going rogue since rogues will likely never be able to peacefully organize more than 1 squad of 4. Some people will love this shift of power but I don't think it's good balance.

The alpha only had the one DZ available so perhaps the dynamics will change once the map frees up. All in all, like Jose said, they're saying all the right things.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
So is this private beta the same as the closed beta that we were able to signed up for during last year's E3 event? Or is there actually going to be another closed beta after the private beta.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I doubt there's going to be a closed beta that is separate from the private beta that you get from pre ordering. I am willing to bet there will be an open beta though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mueller's Maulers

The Capitol Steps

So Others Might Eat

Low Tax Lobbyists

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubiso...igitalmarketing

"we are happy to announce that separate balancing is in effect for PVE and PVP modes. Skills and talents in organized PVP, for example, will have normalized versions that have different statistics than their PVE counterparts. In The Division 2, we want to keep PVP competitive and healthy without negatively impacting players who enjoy PVE."

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

DZ and PVP livestream on Tues Jan 22, 11 AM EST
Live gameplay with dev commentary

https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-updates/342817/special-report-dark-zones-pvp-stream

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
From reading this stuff and watching Marco's new vids, it seems they are really doing an awesome job on this.

My clan name suggestions:

Alex, Noooo!
The Numerators (because we're always on top, you see)
The Denominators (scrub tier clan where I would be)

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
The K Street Killers

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The Destiny PS4 clan is BDSM, they change the meaning almost every week to something new like Bungie Devs Seem Mediocre or Badman Don't Shoot Me! Maybe make the TD2 clan name like that. (Unless you can't change the clan name in TD2)

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Wish I would have picked up this game a year ago. Played a bunch last night and picked up an event mask, The House, and half a classified Nomad set. I also learned that I can re-roll the stat bonuses on armour, so now I can actually use all the perks on my guns. Kind of feels like finding a gift card for a shop during their going-out-of-business sale. The new trailers look great though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Wish I would have picked up this game a year ago. Played a bunch last night and picked up an event mask, The House, and half a classified Nomad set. I also learned that I can re-roll the stat bonuses on armour, so now I can actually use all the perks on my guns. Kind of feels like finding a gift card for a shop during their going-out-of-business sale. The new trailers look great though.

Honestly its probably better that you picked it up now because it took a while to get to where the game is now and with the low population you don't even need to worry about PVP much!

Anyways, to expand on re-rolls and to avoid any surprises later:

On non-Classified armor you can re-roll one stat (Firearms, Stamina, Electronics) or one attribute (the bonuses listed below the stat roll). Not one stat and one attribute, or.
On Classified armor you can re-roll two different things, a stat and an attribute or two attributes.
You can also reroll a single weapon talent per gun (you can't re-roll an exotic talent).

If you missed armor re-rolls you may have also missed the Optimization station which will slightly increase all the stats on a weapon or armor piece (not weapon or gear mods) for 250k credits and 50 division tech for each increase.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Is anyone else underwhelmed by the videos so far? The toons looks ridiculous with the huge sniper rifle, an smg and an assault rifle. I was also thinking about building a brand new PC since my pc is ancient and the bare rear end minimum for D2 (i5-2500, 970gtx). Is anyone else building/upgrading to play D2?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to be upgrading soon but not specifically because of TD2. Just a general sense that I've had to start turning a few settings down below "medium" so its time to move up.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
The Fort Bliss Battalion
Amherst's Disciples
Followers of Keener
Joe's Infernos
The Furiosos of Ferro
Barrett's Gigolos
Hey Hay LaRay
The Trudeau Search Team
Followers of the First
Weller's Security Forces (Or Trump)
Trump's Secret Service (Or Weller)
The Word of Valassy
Valassie's Truthsayers

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I haven't played in a while and I'm trying to keep my hype levels in check for Div 2. I want to get it because Div 1 got it's hooks in me after the revamp. I just hope massive doesn't pull a Bungie and have to overhaul the game. Not sure if I'm gonna jump in at launch.

Clan Names:

The Fat Orange Line
Bon Bon Eater's Anonymous
Got A hosed Up Back

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Radiohead71 posted:

Is anyone else underwhelmed by the videos so far?

I'm solidly on the hype train but I'm worried DC won't have the ~character~ of NYC in winter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Clan Names:

The Fat Orange Line

This is the winner right here.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm solidly on the hype train but I'm worried DC won't have the ~character~ of NYC in winter.

I've never seen a game that has managed to convey the heat of summer to me and the division 2 will certainly not be the first.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

I've never seen a game that has managed to convey the heat of summer to me and the division 2 will certainly not be the first.

Add a thirst mechanic like from Survival. Setup a promotional tie in with Circle K or 7-11 and add those stores to the game. Let your character raid the slushie machine to quench thirst.

Add tactical cargo jorts to the cosmetic pool.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hmm you're almost there. Maybe throw in an emote of taking off your shirt and wringing out the sweat onto the sidewalk before putting it back on.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Wamdoodle posted:

Got A hosed Up Back

Low Speed High Lumbago

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I was thinking clever versions of an acronym for ISAC but I haven't been funny in years so I'm drawing a blank

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Joe Ferro Did Nothing Wrong.

Also, that would be a good clan name for Division 2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I.S.A.C.

I Stole A Cache.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I Seek Air Conditioning

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
If we can make the clan icon a firetruck then we could name the clan something like "Disciples of the Dragon"

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The Limping Lau's
Alex Jr
Affirmative Amos
9k Striker Memorial Crew
Car Door Closers
Just Another Goony Body
I Dream of Lexington

I am beyond hyped for Division 2. Never really stopped playing Division 1 but new PC build sees it crashing constantly (that old classic issue, forgot how i fixed it before and all the googling doesn't help) so with one last trip into the DZ in the book i'm done. Div1 was some of the most broken and hosed online gaming for so long which coughed and spluttered into a wonderful game. Maybe things will still be on fire day 1, but I've never felt better about plonking down some hard-earned early for a game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gore won in 2000
9-11 and Dollar Flu survivor

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
Goon Valassy
Valaesie's Goon Swarm
Spirit of Cecil
Cecil Men Hyena Hunters Club
The Word of Hightax (Or Lowtax)
iSac
iSac T-Baggers Club
ISAC (International Society of Autistic Chauvinists)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Marco's thoughts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxfn0l4MbE

- A dev confirmed that snipers and shotguns will not stagger players in the final game
- I disagree with him about the movement and the DZ checkpoint turrets

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I was surprised to see he disagreed on the turrets. I guess if they do end up being disliked by the majority they’d be easy to patch out.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Pretty much all the "FOR CASUALS!!!" stuff like turrets won't be in Occupied DZs so I don't see what the problem is, but whatever.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Yeah, a bunch of the stuff he didn't like I was pleased with, but he obviously plays the game very different than I do, so his takes will be different than mine and many other "casual" types.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

God the occupied DZ sounds so crazy. I can’t wait to try it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I saw that I’m 3 trophies short of the platinum for this game. They are dumb easy ones too. Pop the signature ability 100 times, Kill 20 rogues, and extract 1 time each in DZ 1-6.

Heavy Rain plat, you’re about to have a friend!

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
I'm never getting hype for a video game ever again, I said.

I'm getting too old for this poo poo, I said.

I need to focus on life/work/girlfriend, I said.

Welp. I'm hype. I'm pre-ordered. I've got some time off when the game comes out.

Time to catch up on some shields. I'ma be online today if anyone wants to do some legendaries or roll the DZ or whenever happens in the docks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lunchboxx posted:

I'm never getting hype for a video game ever again, I said.

I'm getting too old for this poo poo, I said.

I need to focus on life/work/girlfriend, I said.

Welp. I'm hype. I'm pre-ordered. I've got some time off when the game comes out.

Time to catch up on some shields. I'ma be online today if anyone wants to do some legendaries or roll the DZ or whenever happens in the docks.

Just give in friend. It’s just money. Let it ride