Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The total TV audience is much smaller too.

Certainly that's because the product has a national audience and broadcast deals, and not because a monopsony has allowed a dogshit product to be on air for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Easy Diff posted:

Certainly that's because the product has a national audience and broadcast deals, and not because a monopsony has allowed a dogshit product to be on air for 20 years.

You know that wrestling started being on TV before 2000, right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are they using "Monopsony" because they lost the rights to Monopoly?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are they using "Monopsony" because they lost the rights to Monopoly?

no, it's a real thing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Well, gently caress me

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yep, the United States does professional wrestling the way North Korea did agriculture.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Yep, the United States does professional wrestling the way North Korea did agriculture.
Don't be obtuse. If you want to be a professional wrestling entertainer in the US, and make enough money to support a family and hopefully retire before your bones all shatter like dollar-store toys, there is exactly 1 buyer for that labor - WWE.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wasn't being sarcastic.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Don't be obtuse. If you want to be a professional wrestling entertainer in the US, and make enough money to support a family and hopefully retire before your bones all shatter like dollar-store toys, there is exactly 1 buyer for that labor - WWE.

There are nearly infinite counterexamples to this

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Easy Diff posted:

Every time I see Christopher Daniels' name, I get mad all over again at the capricious cruelties of genetics.

If Christopher Daniels had Matt Morgan's body, we'd be saying "Dwayne who?" right now.

Even if he would have been too small for WWE, I feel like he could have done well in WCW as a semi-cruiserweight.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
have there ever been any serious "Daniels to WWE" talk? I know he's old but I would imagine they'd be interested in him in the Chris Hero spot where he puts over the young guys and starts training

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Kimoa Kid posted:

There are nearly infinite counterexamples to this
In wrestling? What other promotion even offers six-figure, yearly contracts? Impact, I guess. But outside them, you're talking about 3-digit deals at best working high school Gyms.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Easy Diff posted:

In wrestling? What other promotion even offers six-figure, yearly contracts? Impact, I guess. But outside them, you're talking about 3-digit deals at best working high school Gyms.

ROH and All Elite have given them out and MLW offered one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

ROH and All Elite have given them out and MLW offered one.

Did TNA ever offer that kind of money? I don't imagine it was common...but I could see people like Angle or Hardy fetching that money

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even if you can make WWE money outside the WWE, their market share and influence is such that anything else out there is defined in relation to it. Or you go to Mexico or Japan, which just strengthens the argument.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Did TNA ever offer that kind of money? I don't imagine it was common...but I could see people like Angle or Hardy fetching that money

I believe the reason James Storm left NXT to go back to Impact was because he was given a guaranteed monster contract that was more money than he'd ever made before?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A lot of people take pay cuts when they join NXT because they figure the growth potential is so great. I'm pretty sure Kairi was making more in Stardom.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Halloween Jack posted:

Even if you can make WWE money outside the WWE, their market share and influence is such that anything else out there is defined in relation to it. Or you go to Mexico or Japan, which just strengthens the argument.

Also, many of the people who are making WWE money outside WWE are ex-WWE stars who would not be making that amount without their time there.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I believe the reason James Storm left NXT to go back to Impact was because he was given a guaranteed monster contract that was more money than he'd ever made before?
ive literally never watched impact and this was some crazy poo poo to me, from the cup of coffee in nxt he seemed okay in the ring and a good promo but nothing that made me think he’s a must-have by any means

Good on him for grifting more money out of Dixie though obviously

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Not true. He burnt a bridge with NXT as he leaked their interest in him to Pro Wrestling Sheet to create a bidding war between IMPACT and NXT.

James went back to working in construction and hated it rang/cried to Billy Gunn when he was coach at NXT. Billy called in personal favour with Triple H to sign him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Can you break down the timeline a little more? I'm a little confused as to whether he leaked to PWS before or after he signed the big deal with Impact and left NXT? Were there talks for him to go back again AFTER he initially left for Impact?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Can you break down the timeline a little more? I'm a little confused as to whether he leaked to PWS before or after he signed the big deal with Impact and left NXT?

Before.

Jerusalem posted:

Were there talks for him to go back again AFTER he initially left for Impact?

Yes.

Billy Gunn and Triple H felt they were being played so they cut ties. The whole NXT signing deal is to lie low and act in good faith. James did neither.

I posted this blow by blow and in better detail I can remember on here at the time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

After the big strike over wrestling getting on national TV (the wrestlers opposed it believing it would hurt live gates) CMLL co-opted a union, the one that exists in the company to this day. From what I gather it basically does what the "not a union" Cody proposed would do.

Cody better protect his car

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For awhile a bunch of guys were making six figures. Sting got 500K a year to do nothing, Angle got similar money to kill himself, Christian, AJ, Joe and some others, plus the old guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, them lowballing AJ is what made him leave. They had some notion that AJ would take a massive drop in pay out of loyalty and he called them on it and it's worked out pretty well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Oh and NJPW obviously has been offering six figured guaranteed contracts for years.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Oh and NJPW obviously has been offering six figured guaranteed contracts for years.

Noted US wrestling company NJPW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Easy Diff posted:

Noted US wrestling company NJPW

Luckily there are the other three companies that either offered or signed people to six or possibly seven figure deals in the last month.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What’s your favorite wrestling move and why is it the tilt a whirl back Breaker?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

because it looks so drat cool

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alaois posted:

because it looks so drat cool

hell yeah it does!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Burning Hammer

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRr5p8dHv0

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

oldpainless posted:

What’s your favorite wrestling move and why is it the tilt a whirl back Breaker?

Its the perfect kitchen sink or a powerbomb that makes me flinch.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

oldpainless posted:

There's a reason at least 4 of the top 10 best wrestling finishers of all time are variations of the cutter. Ramming someone face first into the ground is just satisfying on a primal level.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

CityMidnightJunky posted:

There's a reason at least 4 of the top 10 best wrestling finishers of all time are variations of the cutter. Ramming someone face first into the ground is just satisfying on a primal level.

not all cutters are created equal. The diamond cutter is ten times better than the RKO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

This is basically Ospreay's finish.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's unfortunate that the Powerbomb has kind of gotten DDT-ified because it's such an amazing move even in its basic form. It's always been a personal favorite of mine.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Best times that a wrestler got (more or less) the opposite reaction they were expecting from a crowd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bessantj posted:

Best times that a wrestler got (more or less) the opposite reaction they were expecting from a crowd?

Triple H teasing retiring, attempting to milk the crowd after losing to Brock at Summerslam 2012 only to get indifference and "you tapped out" chants"

He then came out at Raw two weeks later to do the same thing, hoping this crowd would give the right reaction, only to be met with more indifference