Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have tried to negotiate these things. unsuccessfully. several times.

I've managed to a few times, but usually it really depends on the employer; usually smaller ones since you get more weight in negotiating.

- I already have projects/side contracts, I'm not stopping
- what about contributions to open source libraries we use for work when we find issues?
- is it good enough to just prevent any open work on work locations/using work equipment?

etc. But I guess it helps if they find you through your open source work in the first place, and if they're not big enough to ever give a poo poo, like Apple, which afaict also prevents you from speaking at conferences as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

since he just tweeted it by any chance does someone have a link to the original post where that goon mailed his signed acceptance letter to his boss and hr by mistake but we all know was the biggest dick energy move in yospos history?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

since he just tweeted it by any chance does someone have a link to the original post where that goon mailed his signed acceptance letter to his boss and hr by mistake but we all know was the biggest dick energy move in yospos history?

I remember that. It was wonderful. :allears:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

I've managed to a few times, but usually it really depends on the employer; usually smaller ones since you get more weight in negotiating.

- I already have projects/side contracts, I'm not stopping
- what about contributions to open source libraries we use for work when we find issues?
- is it good enough to just prevent any open work on work locations/using work equipment?

etc. But I guess it helps if they find you through your open source work in the first place, and if they're not big enough to ever give a poo poo, like Apple, which afaict also prevents you from speaking at conferences as well.

at small firms nobody cares and they fix the contract and you get on with life

at my current job, a huge company, they care very much. i actively contribute to open source for my job and every drat thing has to go through legal review

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at small firms nobody cares and they fix the contract and you get on with life

at my current job, a huge company, they care very much. i actively contribute to open source for my job and every drat thing has to go through legal review

Yeah, Salesforce was kind of heavy-handed as well when you wanted to ship new poo poo from work, but mostly they wouldn't give a poo poo what I did at home.
For the components I opened up though, it was a 3-5 months process going through legal, patent counsel, getting a CTO's approval, and some internal OSS committee they had in place, along with an audit from a security team. Not really easy, but doable.

Current employer has ~1400 employees and still got them to edit some stuff, but it's probably easier when you're getting in as an architect than as a junior dev anyway.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

i think bloody was the one who did this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
so y'all are saying that NYC companies absolutely refuse to match what CA enshrined in law? still don't understand the attitude some folks cop when they're getting clowned like that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

so y'all are saying that NYC companies absolutely refuse to match what CA enshrined in law? still don't understand the attitude some folks cop when they're getting clowned like that

The East coast still doesn't understand that working remotely is a thing and that they have to compete with good states like California.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

<bloody> it was in one of the jobs threads 2 years ago
<bloody> i had typed up my notice letter and also just scanned my signed offer letter
<bloody> then sent the signed offer letter to my management chain and HR
<bloody> instead of the notice
<bloody> i think the attachment was supposed to be some signed intent to leave form thing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

JawnV6 posted:

i work at a relatively stodgy nyc fintech firm and i only signed away ownership of stuff i build that has to do with work, so whatever’s going on isn’t universal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
again, with small companies i've had no problem getting that clause taken out of my contract

i have had zero luck with large firms, which is where i much prefer to work for reasons other than "ease of realeasing side projects"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not an idiot

i have tried to negotiate these things. unsuccessfully. several times.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain Foo posted:

<bloody> it was in one of the jobs threads 2 years ago
<bloody> i had typed up my notice letter and also just scanned my signed offer letter
<bloody> then sent the signed offer letter to my management chain and HR
<bloody> instead of the notice
<bloody> i think the attachment was supposed to be some signed intent to leave form thing

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

That is actually alpha as gently caress and my only wish is that he'd done it intentionally

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

awesome thanks. i wanted to re-read everyone’s reaction

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

all my contracts have been worded so it's my IP what i do on my free time (unless it's something really similar to what the company does), i had to specifically ask the last company but they were small so it was ok.

i have not yet signed and nda or copyright related stuff with my next company though which is by far the largest yet, so holding my breath

probably going to walk asap if it they are having potential legal issues with me doing my music stuff on the side

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

manero posted:

:words: on vettery

So I threw my stuff into here, and I have one major complaint:

The lack of locations they allow you to select is absolutely bullshit, and they don't allow you to put in a city that is not listed. My loose definition of a "major city" is a city that has a major 4 sports team in the US, exempting Green Bay. By this standard, they're missing: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Milwaukee*, Kansas City, Portland... I could go on. There's a lot of locations missing and it really hamstrings the site.

*Milwaukee is a weird duck because of how close it is compared to Chicago. It's 90 miles, so if you select Chicago, you might get some Milwaukee jobs. However, not having any of the major Ohio cities, ESPECIALLY Columbus, is dumb if you ask me.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

iospace posted:

So I threw my stuff into here, and I have one major complaint:

The lack of locations they allow you to select is absolutely bullshit, and they don't allow you to put in a city that is not listed. My loose definition of a "major city" is a city that has a major 4 sports team in the US, exempting Green Bay. By this standard, they're missing: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Milwaukee*, Kansas City, Portland... I could go on. There's a lot of locations missing and it really hamstrings the site.

*Milwaukee is a weird duck because of how close it is compared to Chicago. It's 90 miles, so if you select Chicago, you might get some Milwaukee jobs. However, not having any of the major Ohio cities, ESPECIALLY Columbus, is dumb if you ask me.

My experience has been any web site like this doesn't give a gently caress about any other city than San Francisco and New York.

This morning I took a coding test for Amazon's entry level Security Engineer position. I got through the first problem no sweat, but the second one was basically asking to implement A* search in fourty-five minutes. I'll just say I did not remember how to implement A* search correctly in fourty-five minutes. :rip:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I just use a nom de plume when contributing to side projects: yosmuel testinprod

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mekkanare posted:

My experience has been any web site like this doesn't give a gently caress about any other city than San Francisco and New York.

This morning I took a coding test for Amazon's entry level Security Engineer position. I got through the first problem no sweat, but the second one was basically asking to implement A* search in fourty-five minutes. I'll just say I did not remember how to implement A* search correctly in fourty-five minutes. :rip:

This is wrong, sometimes they also care about palo alto and mountain view

(I suspect there's more developer computer touchers in mountain view than Ohio)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i can believe there are more developers in the whole bay area than ohio, sure. it is an unusually prominent industry in the bay area, and makes up a larger than normal fraction of employment.

but ohio is 12 million people. there's no way that mountain view alone can rival it, even if ohio has fewer software developers than average for the midwest.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i can believe there are more developers in the whole bay area than ohio, sure. it is an unusually prominent industry in the bay area, and makes up a larger than normal fraction of employment.

but ohio is 12 million people. there's no way that mountain view alone can rival it, even if ohio has fewer software developers than average for the midwest.

you're right, s/mountain view/santa clara county, about, it looks like

https://dqydj.com/number-of-developers-in-america-and-per-state/
https://dqydj.com/developers-per-zip-code-america/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

these charts are a nice reminder that the #1 and #2 markets for software developers are still only a small fraction of total software employment

(just, all those jobs in the other states pay less :( )

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

This is wrong, sometimes they also care about palo alto and mountain view

Oh yeah my bad. I always think that they're suburbs that are 10 miles within each other but looking at a map I see it's not the case.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ohio also has one of the most well known universities in the country in Ohio State. You'd think they'd include Columbus.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mekkanare posted:

Oh yeah my bad. I always think that they're suburbs that are 10 miles within each other but looking at a map I see it's not the case.

my mental map of the bay area wrt the bits that matter to computer touchin goes like this (look at caltrain map while reading: http://www.caltrain.com/stations/systemmap.html):

marin - doesnt exist
san rafael - doesnt exist
SF
then, split into east bay (which is basically comprised of Berkeley and Oakland, software-wise, and Oakland almost doesnt exist) and peninsula and south bay proper

hayward and fremont basically don't exist
stuff south of SF and north of san mateo basically doesn't exist. then, san mateo, redwood city sort of exist. menlo park, palo alto, mountain view and sunnyvale are the valley proper. then, there's another lacuna until san jose, which has some older stuff in it but is definitely not the capital of the valley like it pretends to be. it is deffo the southern edge of the valley, tho

marin county to san jose is 90 miles, about half the height of south korea. longer than hadrian's wall

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

marin county to san jose is 90 miles, about half the height of south korea. longer than hadrian's wall

i know people who commute from massachussetts for the opportunity to work a software job in manhattan

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
an email came in, which i present without comment

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheFluff posted:

an email came in, which i present without comment

What the

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
seems like a spam profile, so the name is probably just clickbait

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

<edit: probably not the right thread>

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:justpost:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

finally got a call from a headhunter this morning

i'm sure i'll regret being under the gaze of the eye of sauron but it beats the hell out of silence for the nonce

(e) there any good reason to volunteer salary or salary reqs to external recruiters? seems a bit different from speaking directly to companies in that they want to get me a job to make dosh, i think, but i don't know the pitfalls

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 21, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

(e) there any good reason to volunteer salary or salary reqs to external recruiters?

[Image:Lana Kane Nooooooope!]

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

finally got a call from a headhunter this morning

i'm sure i'll regret being under the gaze of the eye of sauron but it beats the hell out of silence for the nonce

(e) there any good reason to volunteer salary or salary reqs to external recruiters? seems a bit different from speaking directly to companies in that they want to get me a job to make dosh, i think, but i don't know the pitfalls

Volunteer nothing, salary requirements are a part of the process, obviously, but current salary is 100% fully irrelevant

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

doesn't really matter

external recruiter will lie to both sides up until the very last minute hoping to close a deal, sooooo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you should delay, delay, delay on salary requirements with an internal recruiter because they work for HR, and it's HR's job to filter out candidates for stupid reasons

external recruiters are mercenaries and they don't care

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i would suppose the incentives for an external recruiter are probably like a realtor

you might think "they make a percentage of what i get so they'll fight for a larger number for me" and that's true in the short term, but the longer it takes to sell your house (or place you, in the case of a recruiter) the more they'll want to just seal the deal and move on to the next sale/placement

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cold on a Cob posted:

i would suppose the incentives for an external recruiter are probably like a realtor

you might think "they make a percentage of what i get so they'll fight for a larger number for me" and that's true in the short term, but the longer it takes to sell your house (or place you, in the case of a recruiter) the more they'll want to just seal the deal and move on to the next sale/placement

Also, there are dramatically fewer “buyers” and they can choose which “realtor” they work with, so the incentives aren’t in your favor.

An external recruiter being too pro-applicant would be like a west coast realtor tattooing “PRC: Hands Off The Independent Nation-State of Taiwan” on their foreheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thanks for the info, then

both openings the recruiter had are for gambling machine companies which is pretty :\ but really anything beats current, so we'll see i guess