Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberGeist
Aug 31, 2001
WORTHLESS

Mesadoram posted:

So I just did Second Dream...

Did not loving expect that. Last game to leave me stunned with that was the end of Braid.

Glad I got to experience that, really neat experience.

Been playing off and on for five years jumping between PC/PS4 and now Switch and just finished the quest.

Man, I kinda knew what to expect but even then, this just blew me away with how it presented itself and the storyline (which to be fair, I was NOT paying too much attention to before).

Now I'm kinda afraid to even wiki anything because I don't want to ruin other mission based stories just biased on how good this one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I stopped playing right after the Second Dream and started playing again a few weeks ago. While finishing the The War Within it seemed like I forgot about a lot of the lore in 2 years, or maybe I didn't pay attention to begin with, because I didn't really get the spoiler.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

KDdidit posted:

I stopped playing right after the Second Dream and started playing again a few weeks ago. While finishing the The War Within it seemed like I forgot about a lot of the lore in 2 years, or maybe I didn't pay attention to begin with, because I didn't really get the spoiler.

there's a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense or seem meaningful unless you've seen other content or that becomes more meaningful if someone explains some of the limited time events that forwarded the story. Some of it's because the story/junctions don't quite mesh up anymore, other times it's teasers and lines that seem like throwaways suddenly make more sense once you've seen other stuff.
Like Second Dream stuff: Ordis's history is teased and referenced in second dream, but now you're more likely to do second dream long before doing enough scans/finding the codex easter eggs. You also do second dream before you get to the planet with Mutalist Alad V, so suddenly he's just a weird mutant for some reason, and everyon acts like you should know that, because the whole Mutalist story happened before Second Dream launched.
Or War Within and Jordas/Infested bosses has The Worm specifically refers to your warframe as an 'infested puppet,' and there's also all the lines from infested bosses about you being of the same flesh. Her direct call out I didn't pick up on until I recently played through the star map again on ps4.
I'm rather fond of the bits of story you pick up incidentally in item descriptions or lore dumps attached to frames in the codex.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

CyberGeist posted:

Been playing off and on for five years jumping between PC/PS4 and now Switch and just finished the quest.

Man, I kinda knew what to expect but even then, this just blew me away with how it presented itself and the storyline (which to be fair, I was NOT paying too much attention to before).

Now I'm kinda afraid to even wiki anything because I don't want to ruin other mission based stories just biased on how good this one was.

You are me both. Gotta say, I never played a game that had a character creator 40 loving hours in (<--- legit Second Dream spoiler). Now I really want to see what weird directions this story is going to go now.

I feel like I say this about a lot of frames, but I can't get the hang of Nyx. She doesn't really seem to do anything like super special besides the chaos ability. It can take heat off my allies, but the key word there is can.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

You are me both. Gotta say, I never played a game that had a character creator 40 loving hours in. Now I really want to see what weird directions this story is going to go now.

I feel like I say this about a lot of frames, but I can't get the hang of Nyx. She doesn't really seem to do anything like super special besides the chaos ability. It can take heat off my allies, but the key word there is can.

Nyx is a Bad Frame and console haven't even gotten the recent rework that makes her more useful. Chaos is kind of her only ability for now, and her 4 if you have the Augment that lets her walk.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
a few frames run into that whole problem of just being what some folks call a "weapon platform" where their abilities don't quite feed into anything more them feel too unique or fun to play on their own, even if they have a somewhat useful gimmick like "literally can never die" or require a very specific build and augment to be useful. Others are just 'meh' overall. I'm still glad they've gone back and made some previously worthless frames like the bird and hydroid cool.
edit: also luckily most content is so under-tuned you can still run it with pretty much anything as long as you can fit the basic mods into your weapon and frame

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
I built a Nyx since it was the first frame I found all the parts for; and I feel like if you could spam her 1st ability she’d be a huge badass, but as far as I can tell that’s a no-go? I like dropping chaos and then mind controlling the nastiest unit and watching them wreck poo poo. But the bolts suck and if I can’t revive while I ultimate it’s not nearly as useful. I’ve only gotten to Jupiter and so far she can hang with all the missions I got, but she feels meh still. I’m much happier with my Volt default frame.

But I did have to learn to be a lot sneakier cause she felt so very gimped at first. So now I’m better at spy missions.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just wondering, if 3 people leave after like a wave 10 and I die because they all bailed on me at the last second of the count down, do I lose all of the awards for failing?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes. Also fun is when everyone moves over to stay, then with 1 second to go, everyone moves to leave, splitting the group and leaving you to solo rounds 15-20 with a partially levelled frame.

Or when the host leaves, three of you stay, and you lose everything anyway when the connection to the host drops. I really wish they'd indicate who's the host on the defence extract screen, so I could leave if they do.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or when the host leaves, three of you stay, and you lose everything anyway when the connection to the host drops.

Is this a thing that's been tested and confirmed on PC where I understand you can see who's the host? Behavior I've seen so far seems to indicate that only your own client tracks your rewards and not the host.

When you're not host and you're kicked out the main menu for whatever reason, when you reconnect to that same squad/mission you lose everything you accumulated to the point you got kicked out even though the host hasn't changed and is still in the game. They could restore all your rewards if the host was tracking it when you reconnected.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I’m avoiding spoilers so just posting this here. Is there any trick to finding neurodes? I haven’t had issues with other resources at this point in the game. I do have an extractor I keep sending to Earth, but it’s never returned neurodes. Tried grinding Coba on a suggestion, but no luck yet. I’d like to build the Hek shotgun but I need a couple more neurodes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

I’m avoiding spoilers so just posting this here. Is there any trick to finding neurodes? I haven’t had issues with other resources at this point in the game. I do have an extractor I keep sending to Earth, but it’s never returned neurodes. Tried grinding Coba on a suggestion, but no luck yet. I’d like to build the Hek shotgun but I need a couple more neurodes.
According to the wiki, the drop rate is pretty low so you're more likely to get them from finding neuroptic masses while playing on earth. Solo the first few missions and just scour every corner of the level until you find them.

They also drop from higher level enemies on the plains, but the drop rate is pretty low and you'll need a pretty robust build to survive the kind of fights where they frequently drop.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

mentalcontempt posted:

If you've made it to Lua on the starchart there's a mission there with some enemies that guaranteed drop them.

If not, pick the earth exterminate or capture missions, load your frame up with loot radar mods and hope you find the containers to get a couple.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Real talk: these Fortuna bounties are terrible. Really just wretchedly conceived and implemented. I seem to spend half my time running around a deserted map, full of utterly empty buildings, hoping for enemies to spawn. Really hope part 2 improves them, like, a lot.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I don’t do them anymore cause they’re not a good return on my time. I can max standing much more quickly by hunting down kubrodons. I’m pretty sure I got most of the drops during the rush to rank 5, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything at any rate

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

When I saw that Fortuna had an alert level to control how enemies spawn, first thought was hunting Juggies where you want to piss it off but it pisses off instead because you can't find enough infested to kill in time.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Vegastar posted:

If you've made it to Lua on the starchart there's a mission there with some enemies that guaranteed drop them.

If not, pick the earth exterminate or capture missions, load your frame up with loot radar mods and hope you find the containers to get a couple.

Not at Lua yet, so I’ll try the other suggestions. Kind of frustrating to have things gated behind this specific resource since it’s a pain in the rear end to get.

A couple other random questions:

1) Last night I was running some lower-level missions (10-15), and a couple of times, level 35 mobs would storm in suddenly and just wreck me and some of the others. Would this be caused by a higher-level player being in the squad? Had no idea what spawned them as I’d never seen that before.

2) Is there a trick to the Archwing Rush mission that gates one of the junctions (Ludi?) My archwing just bumps around all over the place and I run out of time and the transports leave. Can’t access the junction unless I complete this irritating mission.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mentalcontempt posted:

Not at Lua yet, so I’ll try the other suggestions. Kind of frustrating to have things gated behind this specific resource since it’s a pain in the rear end to get.

A couple other random questions:

1) Last night I was running some lower-level missions (10-15), and a couple of times, level 35 mobs would storm in suddenly and just wreck me and some of the others. Would this be caused by a higher-level player being in the squad? Had no idea what spawned them as I’d never seen that before.

2) Is there a trick to the Archwing Rush mission that gates one of the junctions (Ludi?) My archwing just bumps around all over the place and I run out of time and the transports leave. Can’t access the junction unless I complete this irritating mission.
1. That's a syndicate hitsquad invasion. So kinda yeah it's because the higher level dude is currently hated by a faction so will randomly get those invaders.
2. A buddy helps the most, since you'd have to do a bit of aw grinding to be able to damage the transport quickly enough or blow up the mines that slow you.
The corpus aw map is rear end and even worse when you need to quickly move through it. Make sure to toggle into strafe mode instead of speed mode (where your wf stays 'upright' when you move instead of leaning forward) that controls a little better. And go into speed mode/boost only in straightways. But yeah AW really wasn't designed for controller play.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

Alright, thanks. Strafing is what I’ve been doing for the most part. Do you recommend turning down the sensitivity on look/aim or movement? That was the other thing that was jarring to me.

The amount of things to learn can be a little overwhelming but I feel like I’m doing ok. It’s a little frustrating getting blueprints and not having the necessary materials, and then having to figure out where to get them. But I’ve opened up Venus and Mars, managed to somehow get a little floating companion that shoots things and boosts my shield, etc. And I’ve seen some higher level players that can do really cool things, which I’m looking forward to.

Turning down the sensitivity is recommended as probably the first thing you do on basically every platform. I think iFlynn is doing fresh 'new player info' series of videos on his youtube and in one of them he immediately turns the sensitivity down from the default 50 to 8. So definitely play around with that until you get something you like, you'll still want to be able to turn around quickly but you don't need a sensitivity that activates max motion blur on every small turn.

The amount of systems and things to comprehend in this game is large. The list of unique/important nouns alone is probably pretty stupid. But it's kind of one of those things where as soon as you understand how various things work you kind of go 'well of course they work that way, anything else would really not make sense.' As far as gathering materials go, you can get clanmates or random players to taxi you to nodes and planets that you do not have access to yet, allowing them to bring a nekros to some place that drops neurodes, or take you to a boss that is highly likely to drop them. That little floating companion, Taxon, is a really good first sentinel to have and later on it's super weakass cold laser can have it's 'always procs a cold status on hit' mechanic exploited with Condition Overload to make having a Taxon a large single target damage buff. But hey, that's something to worry about later.

CyberGeist posted:

If you're interested you could safely wiki past events that aren't currently available, that will shed a little bit of light on even The Second Dream much less some of Warframe's cooler enemies. As for stuff in game, avoid reading about Chains of Harrow, Octavia's Anthem, War Within, and The Sacrifice. The Second Dream was my favorite quest both from a story and playthrough point of view, but the rest are still neat.

Mesadoram posted:

You are me both. Gotta say, I never played a game that had a character creator 40 loving hours in (<--- legit Second Dream spoiler). Now I really want to see what weird directions this story is going to go now.

Oh buddy we are going places. If you've done War Within and Sacrifice, there is a trailer out there for The New War.

Nyx without the recent update is honestly pretty bad. Chaos can still save a party's rear end when all the warcrime frames or even other CC frames somehow fail, I've definitely had sortie and the rare challenging alert missions completely saved by a Nyx's Chaos. But without the update that's all she has really, Mind Control is bad and Psychic Bolts is garbage and too many frames have better versions of Absorb. But after the update Mind Control is pretty alright if you can dump a ton of damage on a single target in a few seconds. Psychic Bolts becomes a very very powerful debuff skill, you can strip all armor and turn off eximus and ancient buffs with the same skill. Absorb is better but still not fantastic.

mentalcontempt posted:

I guess I already addressed this but you can get clan mates to taxi you to missions you don't have access to yet, so they can take you to a planet or boss fight that is very likely to drop some neurodes or whatever you're looking for.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
Can I get an invite to the Switch clan? I'm not really into multiplayer things and kinda just looking for access to research blueprints. I hope that's alright.

IGN is RiffRaff1138, same as here.

Edit: Got the invite. Thanks!

RiffRaff1138 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 23, 2019

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Would it also be possible for me to get a Switch clan invite? My IGN is 'stopandstart', thanks!

(I, too, am someone who plays mostly single player and just wants blueprints if that's all right.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

letthemreadprose posted:

Would it also be possible for me to get a Switch clan invite? My IGN is 'stopandstart', thanks!

(I, too, am someone who plays mostly single player and just wants blueprints if that's all right.)

Invite sent. Jump into the discord, folks have mods and stuff to share if you need them.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
So... can’t use vapor specters or any such thing in nightmare mode defense, huh? Cool beans. I dropped a vapor specter in the beginning of the last wave, and he proceeded to turn around and gib me, then completely wreck the cryochamber. Good times.

I’m having tons of fun on Saturn, but I cannot for the life of me beat the Kepler Archwing rush. Even if I get there in time to catch two of three transports, I can’t take them down quick enough. Do I really need to buff my mods, or should I be looking at different weaponry? I’ve been eyeing the Corvas.

I’m not too enthralled with this Excalibur I picked up. Kinda wanna sell it and build a Nehza. No biggie, yah? I bought it half price in the store, so I figure I’m only losing a handful of plat since I got the frame slot with it. I figure, if I really regret it, it’s an easy farm; and I plan only buying more frame slots later anyways. Am I missing something or is it worth it to swap?

This game has so much it’s hard to concentrate on grinding one thing. I’m really happy to be on Saturn though cause it has all the tasty goodies I’ve been needing to farm.

When the clan finishes a pigment color, where do I get to access it?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rama of Ra posted:

When the clan finishes a pigment color, where do I get to access it?

Those are for dojo decoration, not personal use.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rama of Ra posted:

I’m having tons of fun on Saturn, but I cannot for the life of me beat the Kepler Archwing rush. Even if I get there in time to catch two of three transports, I can’t take them down quick enough. Do I really need to buff my mods, or should I be looking at different weaponry? I’ve been eyeing the Corvas.
Fluctus makes every archwing mission so much easier, since the wave it fires punches through and has a really wide projectile size,, making it much easier to spam and hit ghings without really aiming. It's annoying to get your hands on - probably worth just buying with plat.

Grattler is also useful because of its innate splash damage, but again, the build cost is prohibitive for new players.

Rama of Ra posted:

I’m not too enthralled with this Excalibur I picked up. Kinda wanna sell it and build a Nehza. No biggie, yah? I bought it half price in the store, so I figure I’m only losing a handful of plat since I got the frame slot with it. I figure, if I really regret it, it’s an easy farm; and I plan only buying more frame slots later anyways. Am I missing something or is it worth it to swap?
Ordinarily i'd say do not ever sell warframes, just buy more slots. The only reason you should sell a frame is if you get the prime version.

However Excal is an exception since he has no Prime (it was a founders exclusive), and a later quest gives you a better version (the sacrifice). I'd still say keep him and read some guides on how to build and use him because he does have a useful kit.

Nezha is better though, so definitely build him. I just wouldn't sell any frames.

E: especially don't sell any frames you bought with plat - they come with a reactor, which doubles the amount of mod space they get when fully levelled.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Rama of Ra posted:

So... can’t use vapor specters or any such thing in nightmare mode defense, huh? Cool beans. I dropped a vapor specter in the beginning of the last wave, and he proceeded to turn around and gib me, then completely wreck the cryochamber. Good times.

That sounds like the "radiation" modifier, which enables friendly fire. It fucks over a lot of stuff, including killframes, as your usually benevolent massive explosions will now murderise your entire team as well as the mobs :getin:

Rama of Ra posted:

It may be your damage output, do you have most of the archwing weapon mods like +damage, +elemental damage etc. installed and maxed out? Like normal weapons, the mods make a significant difference to damage output for archwing. I've got spares on Xbox if you need any, on other platforms just ask in clan to see if anyone has some they can trade. Also if you need it unlocking just ask for some help in clan, MR20+ old farts are happy to taxi people around when we've got nothing better to do ;)

Rama of Ra posted:

I'd be tempted to say keep it, and just buy more slots anyway. You can never have too many slots. Also with a decent setup Excal is a great frame, like your archwing guns it may just be that you haven't maximised his potential due to a lack of mods.

If it is Excal's gameplay aesthetics that are the issue for you then fair enough, but I still have my starter Excal hanging around. Once I've stuck a potato and a few forma into a frame, I'm loathe to part with it...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Helter Skelter posted:

Those are for dojo decoration, not personal use.

Equally important.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Right now plat on switch might not be as funky as the ps4 and xbox just because people were able to copy over their PC account, but unless the market winds up working much differently in terms of plat discounts, it's gonna dry up and be much more rare. If you were on PC and got him for 50-75% off you were roughly paying just the cost of a slot, and you'd easily make that up selling even garbo rivens. Also remember that frame you bought came with a preinstalled reactor.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

it might just be me, but the PS4 market seems to have really picked up since xmas. Like, you can sell ayatans at 10p each if you're lucky, when you'd have struggled to get 5 for them before. People are just freer with their plat now, or so it seems. like I say, that's just what I've noticed, I could be wrong.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
There was that holiday plat sale. Hopefully some more got injected into the economy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I know i'm being a complete idiot with plat right now. I had 750ish at xmas, i'm down to just over 400 and i'm eyeing up a second fishtank for my quarters for my new robit fish.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

The more I start the understand this game, the more I realize how much I don’t know. I was reading something last night about ways to earn plat through trading. I guess you can sell Prime parts that you don’t need, like stuff from good relics, for plat? People were talking about selling them in bundles of five, to buyers who turn around and sell them for ducats. I’m not even sure how you’d sell a bundle of these things but I’m at a point where I’ll need plat to get more slots, and I am accumulating random Prime parts.

And based on the post above, you can sell Ayatan... stars? Statues? I have a bunch of the stars but no statues.

I’m also trying to figure out how to balance mod upgrades, since it increases the drain. E.g. is it better to level up certain mods (say health/shields/shield recharge) for your warframe, knowing that you may have to sacrifice some other mods because of limited capacity? And I understand you can use catalysts or reactors to expand mod capacity, but right now I only have one catalyst.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Consple Baro is at Larunda!

Get Primed Flow. Get Primed Flow.

Get

Primed

FLLLOOOWWW

Prisma Twin Gremlins are a top buy. Quanta Vandal is also great. Ignis Wraith is great too damnit!

Also turn your sentinel into a 🐈! Operator Princess tiara! Purple color palette! Affinity booster!

Also the acolytes are back!

Fuuuck so much to do!

E: fortuna part 2 is in cert fuuuck

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 26, 2019

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Is there an active PS4 clan with players interested in helping a tenno clear his star map? I've just recently got to Saturn and even with a lot of upgraded mods and a level 30 warframe I'm finding certain missions like rescue hard to complete on my own.

Also I want an archwing launcher.

My ign is samuraipaul same as my PSN

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2019

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

SamuraiPaul posted:

Is there an active PS4 clan with players interested in helping a tenno clear his star map? I've just recently got to Saturn and even with a lot of upgraded mods and a level 30 warframe I'm finding certain missions like rescue hard to complete on my own.

Also I want an archwing launcher.

My ign is samuraipaul same as my PSN

I just got to Neptune and would like to join you on your star map completion journey.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Raspberry Bang posted:

I just got to Neptune and would like to join you on your star map completion journey.

I’m clearing Jupiter now, also open to joining up.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Yay finally a thread for sad console peasants like me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cheer up friend, at least we have

uh

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Hey Console Peasants, best peasants. We could be on mobile...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Cheer up friend, at least we have

uh

Half of fortuna! An expansion dedicated to how much capitalism sucks.