Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i know musk wasn't born in america but he sure has adopted the culture

what could possibly be more american than convincing people that saving the world is as easy as buying the right car and you don't even have to change your behaviour otherwise

much as i love za you will very much learn that lie there at least as effectively as in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

widespread adoption of EVs would only make this worse - both lessening the impact of long commutes as well as undermining the motivation to build more transit
that goes double for autonomous vehicles (assuming those arrive in less than geologic time)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

that goes double for autonomous vehicles (assuming those arrive in less than geologic time)

my friend that works in AVs recently told me that he's "over lidar"

lol that poo poo's never gonna happen

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

yuuup this is all too common.

bonuses 👏🏻 aren’t 👏🏻 real 👏🏻 until 👏🏻 they’re 👏🏻 in 👏🏻 the 👏🏻 bank 👏🏻

even once they're in the bank it's not unheard of for contracts to require repayment of bonuses under some circumstances

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

personally, i love the "well humans don't have lidar" argument from proponents of purely optical recognition systems.

i mean that's true, and if you manage to shove a human brain behind your webcams that might even matter, but until then you probably ought not be comparing your bullshit to what humans do to navigate the world.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

infernal machines posted:

personally, i love the "well humans don't have lidar" argument from proponents of purely optical recognition systems.

That is why humans can't vacuum efficiently in the dark but a $150 robot can.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean that's true, and if you manage to shove a human brain behind your webcams that might even matter, but until then you probably ought not be comparing your bullshit to what humans do to navigate the world.

self-driving cars will simultaneously be way better than humans at avoiding crashing but also must have all the limitations of humans, got it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

here's an excerpt from traffic about that

quote:

In certain ways, Junior has advantages over humans, which is precisely why some robotic devices, like adaptive cruise control—which tracks via lasers the distance to the car in front and reacts accordingly—have already begun to appear in cars. When calculating the distance between himself and the car ahead, as with ACC, Junior is much more accurate than we are—to within one meter, according to Michael Montemerlo, a researcher at Stanford. “People always ask if Junior will sense other people’s brake lights,” Montemerlo said. “Our answer is, you don’t really have to. Junior has the ability to measure the velocity of another car very precisely. That will tell you a car’s braking. You actually get their velocity instead of this one bit of information saying ‘I’m slowing down.’ That’s much more information than a person gets.”

he's also got a chapter about visual illusions and perception of distance and how we process that stuff

basically, human visual limitations suck and lol at wanting to just copy that right over. imagine thinking that instead of measuring the distance to the car in front of you, the goal should be to detect brake lights and guess at distance and speed

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i guess you can do both with stereoscopic imaging, but like they said, you don't really need to if you have a better way of determining the speed of the vehicle in front of you already.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e: wrong thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if it's better to know the instantaneous velocity and closure rate of the car ahead, or the driver's intent (am i pressing the brake, or just absentmindedly letting off the gas?)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder if it's better to know the instantaneous velocity and closure rate of the car ahead, or the driver's intent (am i pressing the brake, or just absentmindedly letting off the gas?)

why do you think felon's trying to get everyone to sign up for brain chips

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just take a leaf out of warhammer's book and plug the brain from a fatally-injured human driver into a car. boom - you've got an autonomous car and you didn't have to create a thinking machine

"even in death i swerve"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"even in death i swerve"

snort

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
imagine being trapped in a post-mortem virtual hell where you're just driving forever in a simulation that maps to reality so you can chauffeur drunken college kids until such time as you're compacted and recycled

on the next black mirror

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

psiox posted:

imagine being trapped in a post-mortem virtual hell where you're just driving forever in a simulation that maps to reality so you can chauffeur drunken college kids until such time as you're compacted and recycled

on the next black mirror

pretty sure this was the plot of like, 3 or 4 metal gears

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

"even in death i swerve"

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

just take a leaf out of warhammer's book and plug the brain from a fatally-injured human driver into a car. boom - you've got an autonomous car and you didn't have to create a thinking machine

"even in death i swerve"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
poo poo i should really play those

all i know about that series is that it believes in living mas (dumb image redacted as it is too huge)

presumably your post-mortem consciousness would get a big speech from virtual elon that your corporeal self with rights consented to this before turning you loose to take out emergency vehicles

psiox fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 21, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

"even in death i swerve"

:nfpa:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

psiox posted:

on the next black mirror

this, except it will be a pre-mortem physical hell, staffed entirely by wage slaves in a third world country (america in 2022)

like why bother inventing the tech to plug a dead person's brain into a driverless car when you can give an alive person an xbox controller and $5 bucks an hour to do the same thing

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Plank Walker posted:

like why bother inventing the tech to plug a dead person's brain into a driverless car when you can give an alive person an xbox controller and $5 bucks an hour to do the same thing

Now! That's What I Call Shareholder Value

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
this seems a good time to remind everyone to read Manna as it's still the most realistic view of the future of automation if we let capitalism keep running everything: http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

just ignore the last part where they go to the utopian robot future australia because lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

this, except it will be a pre-mortem physical hell, staffed entirely by wage slaves in a third world country (america in 2022)

latency?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nh_vxpycEA

tom's guest video points out that carbon in our atmosphere could reach a point where we'll lose 15% of our cognitive abilities

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Plank Walker posted:

Dude we already have uber

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

tom's guest video points out that carbon in our atmosphere could reach a point where we'll lose 15% of our cognitive abilities

good news, we have a solution

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

"even in death i swerve"

hehehehe

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

i suspect you'd be a billionaire in short order if you could be bothered to productize this

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shame Boy posted:

pretty sure this was the plot of like, 3 or 4 metal gears

going back and realizing that kojima predicted 9/11 and the meme wars is a huge mindfuck

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

good news, we have a solution

man i'm depressed that mel brooks was too old to do starballs 2: the next evolution

he had a great 1on1 interview with conan and he was all with it and poo poo, just seemed tired out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

well that's one way to get more conservative votes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

man i'm depressed that mel brooks was too old to do starballs 2: the next evolution

he had a great 1on1 interview with conan and he was all with it and poo poo, just seemed tired out

he fought against actual nazis in ww2, spent his later life trying to strip away any remaining power they had through mockery, and now they're back and the president is basically one of them

of course he's tired

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

"the search for more money" cmon man

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

he fought against actual nazis in ww2, spent his later life trying to strip away any remaining power they had through mockery, and now they're back and the president is basically one of them

of course he's tired

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

psiox posted:

poo poo i should really play those

all i know about that series is that it believes in living mas

the Adeptus Mexicanicus of the Forge World Taco Bella

edit: Taco Bellicosia

edit2: the Adeptex-Mexicanicus

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 21, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Truga posted:

"the search for more money" cmon man

spaceballs 3: the search for 2

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

of course he's tired

i just said i was depressed

i don't even own a--

well i get the tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

psiox posted:

on the next black mirror

they already did that, but for home automation