Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Musk's idea of home automation is pneumatic tubes throughout your house, firing soup everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gschmidl posted:

That is why humans can't vacuum efficiently in the dark but a $150 robot can.

The vacuum katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded vacuuming sessions, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of furniture in any living room is a statistically predictable element. The vaccum kata treats the Dyson as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum cleaning zone, inflicting maximum suction on the maximum number of dirt particles while keeping the vacuumer clear of the statistically traditional living room obstacles. By the rote mastery of this art, your vacuuming efficiency will rise by no less than 120%.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 21, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

incels interlinked posted:

The vacuum katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded vacuuming sessions, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of furniture in any living room is a statistically predictable element. The vaccum kata treats the Dyson as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum cleaning zone, inflicting maximum suction on the maximum number of dirt particles while keeping the vacuumer clear of the statistically traditional living room obstacles. By the rote mastery of this art, your vacuuming efficiency will rise by no less than 120%.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

Musk's idea of home automation is pneumatic tubes throughout your house, firing soup everywhere.

im pretty sure it's a bed that drops you into a hole and seals you in

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

im pretty sure it's a bed that drops you into a hole and seals you in

so that dahir insaat earthquake bed

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

psiox posted:

imagine being trapped in a post-mortem virtual hell where you're just driving forever in a simulation that maps to reality so you can chauffeur drunken college kids until such time as you're compacted and recycled

I would probably try to end my suffering and drive into a firetruck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MononcQc posted:

:aaaaa:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

MononcQc posted:

difficulty: your brain jar is in a data center somewhere so you just killed a bunch of innocent people

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zlodo posted:

difficulty: your brain jar is in a data center somewhere so you just killed a bunch of innocent people

At least one of those people bought a Tesla, the others chose to ride with someone who bought a Tesla.

I’m not saying they deserved it, but they were no angels.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Zlodo posted:

so you know why it keeps happening over and over again

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they already did that, but for home automation

that was also one heck of an episode of the x-files

the one where you realize they'd jumped the shark, ran out of good writers and were banking on duchovny and anderson's charisma and gently caress it we got nothing

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

YOSPOS > "even in death i swerve"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's an excerpt from traffic about that

he's also got a chapter about visual illusions and perception of distance and how we process that stuff

basically, human visual limitations suck and lol at wanting to just copy that right over. imagine thinking that instead of measuring the distance to the car in front of you, the goal should be to detect brake lights and guess at distance and speed

What I don't get about the whole "camera-only, because people only have visual input" is that it ignores that we actually have a ton of other inputs while driving. Just on a pure sensation level we can sense inertia and balance. Then there's the whole sympathetic response that goes a long way to determining other people's potential behavior.

It seems like the main assumption most of the autonomous-vehicle boosters make is that humans are terrible at driving, so obviously machines are going to be better. But humans are actually tremendously good at driving. We've just had nothing to compare ourselves to.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Humans are so good at driving that they can still do 90% of it even while paying absolutely no attention to the task at all.

Which is a problem when missing that last 10% isn't noticeable until it ends up killing someone.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
humans can also intuit the complex relationships between various vehicles and pedestrians

arguably one of the main ways people get into serious crashes is when they misjudge something like that, like say speeding down an unoccupied lane in traffic without realizing that other cars might easily pull out and use the same lane

another thing humans can do is judge how to behave on an unfamiliar roadway that's missing things like pavement markings or signage, or even conflicting markings like what might be seen in a construction area

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

humans can also intuit the complex relationships between various vehicles and pedestrians

arguably one of the main ways people get into serious crashes is when they misjudge something like that, like say speeding down an unoccupied lane in traffic without realizing that other cars might easily pull out and use the same lane

another thing humans can do is judge how to behave on an unfamiliar roadway that's missing things like pavement markings or signage, or even conflicting markings like what might be seen in a construction area

b-but non-laboratory conditions void warranties, just use as intended for heated indoor conveyance (or in tunnel if death doesn't come quickly enough)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

psiox posted:

b-but non-laboratory conditions void warranties, just use as intended for heated indoor conveyance (or in tunnel if death doesn't come quickly enough)

*Calls the “No guys, this is totally just cruise control plus plus, not some sort of automatic piloting system! That would be crazy!” system “AutoPilot”.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*gets into a tiresomely pedantic argument about what airline autopilots actually do*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or this

https://twitter.com/WWLTV/status/1087136024508153856

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is that a hand egg thing?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

*gets into a tiresomely pedantic argument about what airline autopilots actually do*

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

yessss

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
computers should not be held to the same standards as people because people are terrible.

the only way autopilot will become a thing is if society accepts that a computer, acting on their behalf, causing bodily harm is their responsibility. Imo this is a hell future but whatever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol at the wailing and gnashing of teeth from my family and friends there

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Discendo Vox posted:

yes. username is donoteat. I think I was wrong earlier and it's a Boston accent.

it is obviously an upper midwest accent :chloe:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

is that a hand egg thing?

are people still doing this pretend to not know about sports thing?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
ive been playing too much diablo, what happened with the football

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Moist von Lipwig posted:

ive been playing too much diablo, what happened with the football

controversial endings and bad reffing. standard NFL poo poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A team lost, I think?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

we could have had a fun discussion of physics from that road sign but "heh hang egg amirite :smug:"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

we could have had a fun discussion of physics from that road sign

what?

i'm sorry about your terrible american sport that uses the wrong name though, please try not to get too mad about it

we don't all follow the road to the super ball

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

what?

i'm sorry about your terrible american sport that uses the wrong name though, please try not to get too mad about it

congratulations on becoming fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

what?

oh right you're salty nobody watches your somehow stupider native version of the game that plays in dingy baseball stadiums

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
sorry

canadian fishmech

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

oh right you're salty nobody watches your somehow stupider native version of the game that plays in dingy baseball stadiums

we moved it, it's played in a dingy soccer stadium now

also, no, no one here watches that either

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jitty jitty bang bang posted:

In general or for like specific things?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for some reason I thought this was a protest against a new tollway. like they edited the message to say 'we were robbed' over their new tollway as a protest against private ownership of infrastructure.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't follow sports and idgi that street sign picture.

Yeah yeah "sports ball" jokes are lame regardless

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
use context clues ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i assumed the people who operate the sign were being held at gunpoint and were trying to secretly get a message out without the guy knowing