Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

musk's rocket looks like it should be on the roof of a car dealership

no that's a lotus chassis, this is the rocket:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

iospace posted:

"IT'S A TEST ARTICLE"

So the Star Citizen defense.

Musk should team up with Roberts and just launch JPEGs into space.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Its the little things in life like this that make me smile.

E:

Air density and all that... still lmao at the tipped over rocket. this is the "wheels come off the rover" moment of Musk rocketery. love it.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Truga posted:

no that's a lotus chassis, this is the rocket:

good thing it wasn't filled up with water yet

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
every rocket scientist knows if the rockets lay down it means rains a comin'

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you know, now that I think about it i'm actually kind of pissed off at musk for taking advantage of all these nerds aspirations to have a real space program again

not that any of them would work in it, they're programming fart apps for the most part

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

you know, now that I think about it i'm actually kind of pissed off at musk for taking advantage of all these nerds aspirations to have a real space program again

not that any of them would work in it, they're programming fart apps for the most part

they'd shallowly marvel at it on the surface and then promptly vote for people who would cut its funding because taxation is theft!!!!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
then again, an all-volunteer ablative bazinga spaceforce could lower costs dramatically

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

psiox posted:

then again, an all-volunteer ablative bazinga spaceforce could lower costs dramatically

ugh you just made me realize that hundreds or thousands of people would absolutely line up for the chance to be musk's heatshield even if they have to ride on the outside of the ship with no space suit and thus die within a minute of launch

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

ugh you just made me realize that hundreds or thousands of people would absolutely line up for the chance to be musk's heatshield even if they have to ride on the outside of the ship with no space suit and thus die within a minute of launch

He'll mention something about uploading their brains to machines for the Mars colony

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

keyboard vomit posted:

He'll mention something about uploading their brains to machines for the Mars colony

the vacuum of space is a great way to freeze-dry your corpse so it can be re-animated in the future!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
we live in the venture brothers future and instead of fixing it they're jerking off over an ego-maniac

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lancemantis posted:

the similarities are striking

Trump “suddenly appeared distracted, distant,” wrote Sims. “I could sense the gears inside of his head starting to turn. I was losing him.” As the clock ticked down, Trump “suddenly turned toward the NASA administrator.” He asked: “What’s our plan for Mars?”

Lightfoot explained to the president — who, again, had recently signed a bill containing a plan for Mars — that NASA planned to send a rover to Mars in 2020 and, by the 2030s, would attempt a manned spaceflight.

“Trump bristled,” according to Sims. He asked, “But is there any way we could do it by the end of my first term?”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the similarities are striking

Trump “suddenly appeared distracted, distant,” wrote Sims. “I could sense the gears inside of his head starting to turn. I was losing him.” As the clock ticked down, Trump “suddenly turned toward the NASA administrator.” He asked: “What’s our plan for Mars?”

Lightfoot explained to the president — who, again, had recently signed a bill containing a plan for Mars — that NASA planned to send a rover to Mars in 2020 and, by the 2030s, would attempt a manned spaceflight.

“Trump bristled,” according to Sims. He asked, “But is there any way we could do it by the end of my first term?”

i mean its was literally impossible to do it by 2020 due to transfer windows but i bet nasa could've done it by 2024 given a trillion dollars or some other military only ludicrous amounts starting in 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They coulda just faked it for the president and used all the money to do other good poo poo

like Elon's water tower rocket builders did

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Powershift posted:

They coulda just faked it for the president and used all the money to do other good poo poo

like Elon's water tower rocket builders did apollo missions did :tinfoil:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean its was literally impossible to do it by 2020 due to transfer windows

kerbal space program has taught me that transfer windows mean nothing if you have a ton of nuclear engines

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/osQ9QHD.mp4

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

psiox posted:

all-volunteer ablative bazinga spaceforce

thread title plz

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean its was literally impossible to do it by 2020 due to transfer windows but i bet nasa could've done it by 2024 given a trillion dollars or some other military only ludicrous amounts starting in 2017

he should have just quoted a ridiculous amount of money like $10 trillion. even if he did get it, captain mush brains would have either forgotten about it by that time or maybe even be incarcerated so it’s not like they’d have to worry about actually delivering that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

a very tesla owner thing to do

also I have trouble telling the blobs that are teslas apart now -- are those two model x-es

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaeNelsAOGo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
is it normal for 1/3 of the garage to be devoted to kids toys

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Silver Alicorn posted:

where do /you/ store the talismans of bought affection after they start to pile up?!

fake edit: probably too harsh on tesla owners/the rich possibly idk

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's 2/3 though?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver Alicorn posted:

where else you going to put the outside toys, honestly

Emptyquoter
Feb 26, 2014

Truga posted:

it's 2/3 though?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

psiox posted:

where do /you/ store the talismans of bought affection after they start to pile up?!

fake edit: probably too harsh on tesla owners/the rich possibly idk

Boarding school?

Fake edit: probably not hard enough on the rich

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

it's 3/3 though?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Take these broken wings
And learn to fly again
And learn to live so free
When we hear the voices sing
The book of love will open up
And let us in
Take these broken wings

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol :rip: iospace, fighting the good fight

iospace posted:

I was trying to avoid bringing up Musk (per request) but here:

He's trying to invent things that exist already, then take credit for it. Another issue comes from the fact that he's trying to say there's a heavy lift market when the stark reality is there is none. The amount of Delta IV Heavy launches remain on two hands (ten). The amount of Falcon Heavy launches remains at 1 (and even then it was simply a test payload) with none planned for the future. Why isn't he using that? It's proven tech, what's wrong with it (ok I'll concede that volume of cargo is a limitation)?

Any realistic mission to Mars is a decade out at best, even if Trump did give NASA unlimited funding (like he reportedly offered) and the ability to nuke the SLS from orbit (dunno if he did).

Oh, and Musk sent all his employees an email at 1 am last night telling them to work harder after laying off a significant portion of both of his major companies. The BFR/Starship/whatever it's called these days may fly, but I don't know if SpaceX will last much longer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tho i didn't think mods were supposed to probert other mods like that

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol :rip: iospace, fighting the good fight

tho i didn't think mods were supposed to probert other mods like that

idgi why was he probated for that

are posting facts against the rules now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that particular thread had a mod say to take musk poo poo to another thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that particular mod is also the gun mod who gets real mad if anyone talks down to the glazed-eyed psychos in there when they discuss their need to conceal a handgun because they're threatened by *~urban teens~*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
probably like every other musk industry adjacent thread in d&d and ai there's a moratorium on posting about how lovely musk specifically is. they turn into multiple page derails with bazingas selflessly flinging themselves in front of any suggestion that the great man is anything but the saviour of <x>

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that thread is goddamn infuriating and i had to stop reading it after one page, jesus

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

that thread is goddamn infuriating and i had to stop reading it after one page, jesus

yeah no kidding, loving Christ

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hexyflexy posted:

This is a bit odd:

"He's trying to invent things that exist already, then take credit for it." - That's invention, being an ideas person is bullshit, who builds it owns it. That goes for all drat science and engineering.

"Another issue comes from the fact that he's trying to say there's a heavy lift market when the stark reality is there is none." - He's betting there will be if it's cheap. Nobody is looking because for half a bill a launch, who'd care?

"The amount of Delta IV Heavy launches remain on two hands (ten). The amount of Falcon Heavy launches remains at 1 (and even then it was simply a test payload) with none planned for the future. Why isn't he using that?" - He wants to make money when this new market opens up, why on earth if you had the cash wouldn't you do that?

I don't get what you're trying to say - I'd go with you and give him a very low chance of success, but if he thinks there'll be a market, and going with reusables will open it up cheaply, and he has the cash, cool?

hmm I think the people in the science forum might not be that smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
from the greylon musk thread https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1088217383519600640

lmao