Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How about Gex? (It's tail time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gex 3D/64. would be pretty ideal.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Super Mario Odyssey has over 800 moons to collect and yet, despite them being everywhere, every single one is deemed important enough to merit the "item get" animation. Joseph Blanderson made it sound like the tedious game ever, and he said only 120 moons had any effort to them.

Spyro the Dragon had you pick 12000 gems (Or was it 14000?) and the game never paused when you picked up the stuff, unlike the petrified dragons

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ariong posted:

(When referring to a singular person, do you say themselves or themself?)
having grown up in a country where they was taught as a singular, it was taught as themselves - but the reality is that it's personal preference because language doesn't mean anything but what we agree on and a lot of people use themself because it mimics himself/herself in the singular, while sometimes people use theirself in mimicry of myself/yourself without acting as a 'third gender', and ultimately it's a use case that does not arise often enough to worry about being "correct" so long as it can be reasonably assumed that people will figure out from the context that you're using a non-gendered singular and you're not being a dick about how someone wants to be addressed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

having grown up in a country where they was taught as a singular, it was taught as themselves - but the reality is that it's personal preference because language doesn't mean anything but what we agree on and a lot of people use themself because it mimics himself/herself in the singular, while sometimes people use theirself in mimicry of myself/yourself without acting as a 'third gender', and ultimately it's a use case that does not arise often enough to worry about being "correct" so long as it can be reasonably assumed that people will figure out from the context that you're using a non-gendered singular and you're not being a dick about how someone wants to be addressed.

Alright cool.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Super Mario Odyssey has over 800 moons to collect and yet, despite them being everywhere, every single one is deemed important enough to merit the "item get" animation. Joseph Blanderson made it sound like the tedious game ever, and he said only 120 moons had any effort to them.

Spyro the Dragon had you pick 12000 gems (Or was it 14000?) and the game never paused when you picked up the stuff, unlike the petrified dragons

The animation is quite short though, so it only really gets tedious at one point: in the very last section you meet Toadette, who will give you moons in exchange for certain accomplishments like having captured 20 different things. There you get like 40 or 50 moons right after another and they really should have turned the animation off for those. Other than that, the little flourish is an appropriate conclusion to whatever little puzzle or challenge you had to do to get the moon.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm sorry, Lanky is clearly NB

:actually: NB is considered a part of the trans umbrella, and is represented by the color white on the trans flag. Individual NB folks may opt out of that ID by their personal choice though! :eng101:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know, since he'd (assumedly) be playing the UK version, where Gex was voiced by Leslie Phillips, and if you wanted to prove your dedication via powering through a collect-a-thon to 100%, you'd endure the US dub with Dana Gould.

Ahahaha, oh god, there's a YIIK emoticon already?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 24, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the emoticon needs to be three minutes long to be accurate.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

chipcheezum already streamed all 3 gex games for 24 hours

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ariong posted:

(When referring to a singular person, do you say themselves or themself?)

At least in the US, I don't think it's been around long enough to crystallize definitively.

ETA: by "it" I mean specifically using they to refer to a singular person regularly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This book is bad. Big bad. Bigger bad than most of Lineham's tweets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The party member who who literally eats babies on the other hand...

Drakengard's party:

-Main that kills dozens of child soldiers

-Barely suppressed pedo

-Woman driven cannibalistically insane and prefers child flesh

-Child

Among other traits. And that's just the start of the darkness.

There's really nothing like it, before or since.

Also it plays terribly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the reason all the characters are like that in drakengard is because yoko taro thought that you need to be insane to kill people and he's not one for subtlety

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

the reason all the characters are like that in drakengard is because yoko taro thought that you need to be insane to kill people and he's not one for subtlety

*Thousands of people, like your average dynasty warrior.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

Drakengard's party:

-Barely suppressed pedo

-Child

Also it plays terribly.

Also it has an amazing soundtrack of pure insanity, straight up comtenporary music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZqPGHuBxA

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

This book is bad. Big bad. Bigger bad than most of Lineham's tweets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4

It's worth sitting through for the history of the book's writing, but GOOD LORD N BUTTER is that book insufferable. Just the worst, laziest kind of aggressively ignorant. Like if Mallard Fillmore was about a buff army dude instead of an alcoholic duck.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Arbite posted:

Drakengard's party:

-Barely suppressed pedo

-Child

Also it plays terribly.

Also a priest that is very into the whole genocide thing.

Honestly I don't know how much of that is text and how much of that is from the Let's Play but considering the rest of the party, I feel like it's text.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also it has an amazing soundtrack of pure insanity, straight up comtenporary music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZqPGHuBxA

Oh yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2VJhCgSJPw

And I can still hear those bells.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

JordanKai posted:

So Donkey Kong 64 is a game with good core gameplay that suffers from being too big, too much of the content consisting of menial interactions with the game world, and feeling unfinished.

It is clear then that the only true spiritual successor to Donkey Kong 64 is Metal Gear Solid 5.

Once again maybe when streaming a game for charity for don't pick a game with a pedophilic rape scene, or where the main upgrade mechanic is built on enslaving people.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hel posted:

Once again maybe when streaming a game for charity for don't pick a game with a pedophilic rape scene, or where the main upgrade mechanic is built on enslaving people.

I don't think they were nominating it to be the next charity stream, just making a joke about DK64 being overstuffed

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

How about the recent Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the Dragon remaster?

I wouldn't do the remasters for crash tbh, the hitbox thing alone is enough to make that less fun.

I adore the original crash bandicoot and I was disappointed by the remake.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone give me the scoop on [Unidentified Caller], I've scrolled through more of Dan's Twitter feed than I am proud of and I'm still not closer to an answer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MiddleOne posted:

Can someone give me the scoop on [Unidentified Caller], I've scrolled through more of Dan's Twitter feed than I am proud of and I'm still not closer to an answer.

Some buzzfeed-type website clipped the bit where AOC called in, and subtitled it for viral shares. In the subtitles, Olson, Chelsea Manning, and others are all labeled "[Unidentified Caller]" even though maybe 15 minutes of work could have IDed them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hel posted:

"Hi, welcome to my charity stream of Manhunt"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just do Doom16. It’s the least offensive game ever made.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hbomb sets out to do a Dwarf Fortress run and literally never returns

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Au contraire, you are permanently on the offensive.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Video Game Fact: Olivia Pierce is a TERF. This is the true reason why she is hunted down throughout the game by the Doom Slayer, who is DGtDG transgender. (DoomGal to DoomGuy)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I Before E posted:

Hbomb sets out to do a Dwarf Fortress run and literally never returns

3 weeks later, Harris Bomberguy is added to Dead by Daylight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darth Walrus posted:

Au contraire, you are permanently on the offensive.

Hey you know in my play through they got the first hit. I defended myself through and through!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JQtxTzjqc

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoubleCakes posted:

I had no idea that Banjo-Tooie had a lot of collecting stuff. What's all in it? Banjo 1 was pretty good with that.

Tooie is a lot more intricate and larger overall, the overworld especially. The levels are also a bit less self-contained compared to the first game. You can also see the beginnings of D64 in how some stuff is predicated on getting bear and bird to a split-up pad, then navigating one of them solo to some bespoke puzzle or challenge, then navigating back. Basically it's more about scale than raw number of collectibles, IIRC.

Sanguinia posted:

I vote with whoever suggested a full Rare Replay run through. Even if you dont 100% them, going through that many games will be a slog, and it has a cool "Oh poo poo, next is Banjo/Jet Force/Pinata factor

Nah, my thought was it would be one game per charity stream. For the N64 ones, anyway. I don't think Jetpac would make for a very compelling 24+ hour stream.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

banjo-kazooie is still the best one and it's weird how the later games (including yooka laylee) somehow had worse design.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I loved Croc as a kid but that's probably too linear and the collectables too lenient to even be classified as a collectathon.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hel posted:

I know I know. It was a joke suggestion. Though I will admit that I didn't know there was a rape scene in MGS5. I thought that happened in the standalone prologue thingy and not the game proper.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

I know I know. It was a joke suggestion. Though I will admit that I didn't know there was a rape scene in MGS5. I thought that happened in the standalone prologue thingy and not the game proper.

It is in Ground Zeroes, but Phantom Pain still has the whole sequence of events with Paz from the GZ ending.

Also Quiet. Just...Quiet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Anyone remember Jersey Devil for the PS1?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yes, if only because A) I live in NJ and B) my friend who had a PS1 owned it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I remember playing the first level on one of those demo collection discs they used to put out, that’s kinda it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

It is in Ground Zeroes, but Phantom Pain still has the whole sequence of events with Paz from the GZ ending.

Also Quiet. Just...Quiet.

Any time Quiet's in the helicopter with you, I can't help but think of an MST3K riff from Space Mutiny; "She's presenting like a Mandrill!"