Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh I also asked about the accent

She said she basically made it up from Jared Harris' character in season one. It does not come naturally at all and usually requires several takes to get right

There is a dialect coach for Belter on-set to help with pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's her go to drink?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I hope season 4 doesn't focus too much on the Roci crew, especially with reintroducing us to their various dramas. least there is always s1 i guess. it was nice not being attached to the characters yet, show felt bigger when we saw more of the universe moving, vs just focusing on these small stories and just hearing about the big stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/amazon-the-expanse-first-three-seasons-streaming-1203113740/

Amazon has acquired worldwide subscription-streaming rights to the first three seasons of “The Expanse,” the space thriller that originally aired on Syfy, leading up to Prime Video’s debut of season 4 later in 2019.

Seasons 1-2 of “The Expanse” are currently available in the U.S. on Prime Video. All three seasons, comprising 36 episodes in all, will become available on the service in over 200 countries and territories starting Feb. 8.

Amazon picked up the fourth season of “The Expanse” after NBCUniversal’s Syfy cancelled the show last year. Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon, announced that deal in May 2018 at the National Space Society’s International Space Development Conference in L.A. (Amazon hasn’t announced a premiere date for season 4.) Bezos has a personal passion for space exploration, having founded space-aeronautics and spaceflight company Blue Origin in 2000.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Neat.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Drummer and Ashford were amazingly cast and made the characters way better than the book.

It's good to hear that actress is rad because she was awesome in the role. As a flip side it was a huge bummer to find out that the actor playing Jayne in Firefly was a huge turd in real life because his character was rad. I'm always glad to hear that is not the case with other rad characters in other tv shows.

Also, I am curious if the actors are familiar with the books because Drummer plays a huge role in book 7. I should have asked that before!

Edit -
My girlfriend and I were watching the season 3 behind the scenes special (including the completely cringe-worthy segment intros by the actress who portrays Naomi) and the few bits with an interview with Cara Gee were amazing because she is so different from her character. She also is really adorable.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 22, 2019

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

jeeves posted:

(including the completely cringe-worthy segment intros by the actress who portrays Naomi)

Apologize

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I would probably hang out with anyone on this show...I'm so glad it got picked back up just so all of these cool people got to keep their jobs!
:allears:

Rocksicles posted:

Diogo has the best accent.

Still hoping my boy gets unsquished for S4! :killdozer:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jeeves posted:

Also, I am curious if the actors are familiar with the books because Drummer plays a huge role in book 7.

Good to know, i'm half way through book 6

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mu Zeta posted:

Seasons 1-2 of “The Expanse” are currently available in the U.S. on Prime Video. All three seasons, comprising 36 episodes in all, will become available on the service in over 200 countries and territories starting Feb. 8.

But will Season 2, Episode 1 still be the abridged TV edit? :colbert:

It's only missing Cotyar's introductory scene (~2 minutes), but still - Alcon sent out the corrected version to streaming services within days of the airing. Fix it, Amazon.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Excellent, about time!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Still hoping my boy gets unsquished for S4! :killdozer:
He's the show's second hybrid.

Half man, half elevator.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

jeeves posted:

My girlfriend and I were watching the season 3 behind the scenes special (including the completely cringe-worthy segment intros by the actress who portrays Naomi) and the few bits with an interview with Cara Gee were amazing because she is so different from her character. She also is really adorable.
Speaking of, anyone got a youtube link or whatever for it? I want to show it to my fiancée, but I can't find it. :mad:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The interviews I've seen the actors all seem to be reading just the book that the TV show is up to so they don't get confused about where their character is, which makes sense. I think Wes Chatham said he had read up to like book five though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw an interview with Cara Gee and listening to her without the belter accent is messing me up. Everything about it is wrong.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw an interview with Cara Gee and listening to her without the belter accent is messing me up. Everything about it is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odxDf_j5g6Y

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i love the expanse

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Laterite posted:

i love the expanse

Me too, friend. I'm going to do a re-watch once it's out on Amazon Prime here in Canada.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah seeing that sort of high pitched valley girl voice after watching her as Drummer was quite the shock.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Meanwhile Cas is seemingly adopting his martian accent and character in real life.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Baronjutter posted:

Meanwhile Cas is seemingly adopting his martian accent and character in real life.

It's a solid way to live though. The world would be a better place with more people like Alex Kamal.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Grand Fromage posted:

The interviews I've seen the actors all seem to be reading just the book that the TV show is up to so they don't get confused about where their character is, which makes sense. I think Wes Chatham said he had read up to like book five though.

This sort of thing is why I'd make a terrible actor. There is no way I could possibly get invested in a book series and then just somehow not read them all.

Don't even ask me to lose 60 pounds or lock myself in a hotel room for a month.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagine if a studio paid you millions of dollars to lose weight and also provided a trainer and a dietician so you don't have to think about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

Imagine if a studio paid you millions of dollars to lose weight and also provided a trainer and a dietician so you don't have to think about it.

gently caress that: imagine the studio paid you 75k per year and still did all of that...I'm there, son!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I was more thinking Christian Bale losing 60 pounds to play a cadaver in The Machinist. I'm reasonably fit by American standards (aka maybe 10-15 pounds overweight) so 60 pounds would just about kill me. I'd go on the Batman training in a heartbeat if they paid for it, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
His diet was cigarettes and an apple. I don't know how he could stand that. If I'm not actively doing something, I just start eating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

His diet was cigarettes and an apple. I don't know how he could stand that. If I'm not actively doing something, I just start eating.

A can of tuna and an apple a day I heard

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Azhais posted:

Yeah it was this.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
He definitely would have been a shoe in to play a Beltaloda!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Ugh, just imagine this endless aching feel of hunger in your body every day and you're not allowed to satisfy it with more than that.

I mean, sure, money, but knowing that you get paid for this doesn't help you when you stand in front of a fridge with your stomach begging for input.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Azhais posted:

Can of chicken -- just to keep it on theme here

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Goons Are Great posted:

Ugh, just imagine this endless aching feel of hunger in your body every day and you're not allowed to satisfy it with more than that.

I mean, sure, money, but knowing that you get paid for this doesn't help you when you stand in front of a fridge with your stomach begging for input.

gently caress him. He gets paid millions of dollars to do what we all did as kids: pretend to be something else. I have no idea why we celebrate ~method actors~ who are so lovely at their jobs they have to actual become the thing to act like it.

Oh wait, he breaks character when he gets mad? So it's not total dedication then, is it? :nallears: Daniel Day Lewis is the only one who isn't insufferable, but if the cameras stopped rolling and he was still Daniel Plainview: Nope. Like, if I had been at that table read for Suicide Squad I'd have called Jared Leto the gently caress out.
:fuckoff:

Anywho, got the third season on bluray for Christmas and have been doing a rewatch: friendly reminder that the opening zero-g bang scene looks SOOOO weird in HD. :stare:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Can of chicken -- just to keep it on theme here

https://i.imgur.com/b9gF5oh.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

gently caress him. He gets paid millions of dollars to do what we all did as kids: pretend to be something else. I have no idea why we celebrate ~method actors~ who are so lovely at their jobs they have to actual become the thing to act like it.

Oh wait, he breaks character when he gets mad? So it's not total dedication then, is it? :nallears: Daniel Day Lewis is the only one who isn't insufferable, but if the cameras stopped rolling and he was still Daniel Plainview: Nope. Like, if I had been at that table read for Suicide Squad I'd have called Jared Leto the gently caress out.
:fuckoff:

Anywho, got the third season on bluray for Christmas and have been doing a rewatch: friendly reminder that the opening zero-g bang scene looks SOOOO weird in HD. :stare:

Jim Carrey would have pissed me off for man on the Moon. He didn't seem to get that real Andy turned it off sometimes. So he was constantly ripping on Lawler because he thought the feud was real.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Method acting is dumb and weird.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Azhais posted:

Was he popping dozens of supplement pills a day or does tuna and an apple actually meet some sort of bare minimum of human nutritional needs?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So you are saying method actors would be terrible at DnD because they could never drop their character between sessions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pixaal posted:

So you are saying method actors would be terrible at DnD because they could never drop their character between sessions.

Thought you meant Debate and Discussion at first and it is dumb that it still works

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"My dear boy, have you tried acting?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arrinien posted:

Was he popping dozens of supplement pills a day or does tuna and an apple actually meet some sort of bare minimum of human nutritional needs?

Unknown, he's only ever really talked about tuna, apples, water, and black coffee