Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tatsujin posted:

wonder if their fitness and slot/pachislot machine divisions aren't nearly as terrible as their video game and arcade game divisions

call me stupid but i keep getting mixed signals on whether its the same konami, having not taken any time to check yet

Schadenboner posted:

Game Design Considered Harmful.

Especially given what little I know about your psychological profile.

:(

ain't ideal but it beats military/govt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

AWWNAW posted:

god drat Apple recruiter that I assumed ghosted me emails me for availability the day after I sign an offer ffffffu

so follow up. get the job you want.

it’s Just Business

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Konami gaming had me doing a codility test, scheduled for two hours but I aced it in one, so in theory i've got a 30-45m phoner on Friday

At least it's a team lead in theory, I do way better with them than the HR people I can't reliably get technical with

Tell them U U D D L R L R B A Start to skip right to the job offer

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Sniep posted:

it’s Just Business

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sniep posted:

it’s Just Business

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sniep posted:

it’s Just Business

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

oh I'm going to talk to apple but it's a lot to juggle while I'm offboarding at one place and onboarding at another

I told the recruiter I wanna talk soon b/c I got another offer but I didn't say I'd already accepted it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qhat posted:

Enjoy your on call. But I have some friends at Amazon and I think aws is generally regarded as a more prestigious position within the firm, and really I'd probably consider it myself. Even if you hate it, it puts you in a good position to be accepted to another team.

A recruiter I was talking to said senior engineers (the position I would be applying to) typically aren't on call... I realize recruiters will lie though their teeth to get you on board, but it was a pretty cut and dry statement. Its obviously something I'm going to ask a lot about during the interview process, along with what does a typical day look like, what does a typical sprint focus on (assuming they're agile/scrum, which despite all its problems, is the process I prefer)

I'm also gonna reach out to a twitter recruiter I got half way through the process with before accepting my previous job

Fiedler posted:

lol.

"companyA isn't trendy enough so tell me about companyB. companyB can't really be as bad to its employees as everyone says, right?"

I guess... If I'm gonna work for Amazon/Google/Microsoft I wanna focus on their cloud stuff, and Microsoft is the one I know the least about, and the one people seem least excited about. The rest of the company has been the butt of jokes for the last 20 years. I don't use their operating system and don't program in their languages... I live in Seattle proper and don't really want to commute to Redmond (its further than you think)... Not to mention they have their own share of horror stories.

I'm not saying I'd never work there, but if I could find a cool team at a different company that's what I'd prefer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AWWNAW posted:

god drat Apple recruiter that I assumed ghosted me emails me for availability the day after I sign an offer ffffffu

apple moves really slow. the flipside is when he called to set up a second phone screen I told him I was in Europe and he'd have to wait a few weeks and that didn't hurt me at all. it's probably my most alpha moment tbh other than quitting epic immediately after returning from the trip to Europe they payed for.

but unless you're a total chump you're going to get paid a gently caress ton more at Apple than nearly anywhere else.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

don't feign ignorance, news of how they treat their employees has reached new york

they have a giant fuckin skyscraper in new york. my anecdotal reports of work conditions in new york and seattle vary from "pretty ok" to "outstanding"

is there something i am supposed to know, because i have been thinking about dropping a resume into amazon after having two people i respected jump ship for them

(edit: maybe i am hilariously biased from only knowing people who are a billion years old with kids and poo poo?)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 24, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

but unless you're a total chump you're going to get paid a gently caress ton more at Apple than nearly anywhere else.

lol whut

apple pays well, but they are in the same bracket as, well, a shitload of other employers

it's more of a "big companies pay better" and "job centers pay better" thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol whut

apple pays well, but they are in the same bracket as, well, a shitload of other employers

it's more of a "big companies pay better" and "job centers pay better" thing

in salary maybe but the amount of stock that gets thrown around is insane and the stock has, like, actual value.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

in salary maybe but the amount of stock that gets thrown around is insane and the stock has, like, actual value.

right

• the FANG lot does this directly, with stock grants

• banks do this indirectly, with bonuses and niggardly ESPPs

• non-financials, non-FANGs do this with bonuses and generous ESPPs (has to be generous -- they don't want to be like the banks!)

like, once you "graduate" from the nothings to the "big leagues" the pay leaps up, radically

apple pays very, very well. but there are dozens of other firms that play in that league.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for perspective the formula at my current employer is that your base pay is in the $100-$200k range no matter what, however high you ascend in the org

your bonus, issued in march-april, could be anywhere from 100% to 500% of your base pay, depending on level. and that's just what i know first hand. i suspect is an even higher ratio in upper management

this is not that different from google or apple, except that the "bonus" is stock instead of cash at the tech giants

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for perspective the formula at my current employer is that your base pay is in the $100-$200k range no matter what, however high you ascend in the org

your bonus, issued in march-april, could be anywhere from 100% to 500% of your base pay, depending on level. and that's just what i know first hand. i suspect is an even higher ratio in upper management

this is not that different from google or apple, except that the "bonus" is stock instead of cash at the tech giants

imo now that congress has 'fixed' this loophole you're going to see a gradual shift away from stock bonuses towards straight cash bonuses like you describe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

imo now that congress has 'fixed' this loophole you're going to see a gradual shift away from stock bonuses towards straight cash bonuses like you describe

err, what loophole?

direct stock grants never had any favored tax treatment. are you thinking of incentive stock options (ISOs) ?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

err, what loophole?

direct stock grants never had any favored tax treatment. are you thinking of incentive stock options (ISOs) ?

maybe, idk. basically when you're granted stock you have to immediately treat it as payment based on its immediate value instead of pocketing it and claiming cap gains if you hold on to it for over a year or whatever. now all of it is treated as raw income.

i think. i dunno. if my company ipos i'm absolutely going to be seeking out an accountant who knows what theyre doing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
one reason that (public) silly con valley firms favor stock grants over cash bonuses is that while neither has a favorable tax treatment, there is a certain vein of thought among GAAP auditors that you can count your 4-year agreements with employees as "one time" costs

your bonus schedules for employees are, well, obviously, employee comp, just like a salary

but, somehow, via accounting magic, you can pretend that 4 year agreement, each year, those costs are surprising one-time costs associated with recruiting

i don't imagine this scheme will hold up forever

(but, even when the accounting nonsense ends, it will still sometimes be sane to offer stock instead of cash -- why not encourage employees to be invested?)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

maybe, idk. basically when you're granted stock you have to immediately treat it as payment based on its immediate value instead of pocketing it and claiming cap gains if you hold on to it for over a year or whatever. now all of it is treated as raw income.

i think. i dunno. if my company ipos i'm absolutely going to be seeking out an accountant who knows what theyre doing

yes you are talking about options, not stock

stock grants are just grants. they're taxed like income. they have never had favorable treatment.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i could swear that some tax loophole where executives paid themselves via some stock manipulation that was treated as cap gains was closed but i'm also not at all a tax expert and may have dreamed this all up

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

i could swear that some tax loophole where executives paid themselves via some stock manipulation that was treated as cap gains was closed but i'm also not at all a tax expert and may have dreamed this all up

that's different from the rsus us normies get. it has always been the case that when my shares vest half of them are withheld to pay uncle Sam.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

Stock grants improve employee retention better than cash bonuses in general.

On the other topic though if you're in the 6 figure salary category then just take the job you want and is going to treat you better. And by treat you better I mean you start at 9 and go home at 5:30, no amount of poo poo in your workplace is worth anything more than that.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

ADINSX posted:

So I've heard all kinds of opinions about amazon ranging from "lol don't work there" to "its not bad depending on what team you're on". I'm in Seattle and I've decided I want a big name on my resume. I've been specializing in BIG DATA processing and technologies for the last couple of years and would like to continue with that, so working for AWS specifically is something I'm seriously considering.... (I've heard too many horror stories about Google, and I'd probably never make it past their interview process anyway... and Microsoft is... Microsoft... which leaves AWS, it doesn't hurt that they're headquartered here and are the biggest of the big three cloud companies)

Does anyone have experience working at AWS, or knows someone that does?

If you want to work at google just keep going for interviews, you'll get in eventually. The impression I got was they don't blacklist you if you failed an interview before, employees there have bragged about failing 3+ interviews in a row before being accepted.

:justpost: but instead interviews. Once you get in larp for 5 years then retire in the midwest a millionaire living like a king

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I was looking at glass door for salaries and it looks like I could make less than the other offer I signed, unless I’m missing something. my other offer is 180 salary, 125 in stock, 20% bonus supposedly. the apple job is in Austin fwiw and I’m in Chicago freezing my rear end off at the moment

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AWWNAW posted:

I was looking at glass door for salaries and it looks like I could make less than the other offer I signed, unless I’m missing something. my other offer is 180 salary, 125 in stock, 20% bonus supposedly. the apple job is in Austin fwiw and I’m in Chicago freezing my rear end off at the moment

Austin has scorpions, snakes, spiders, and even (a few) Texans.

Choose wisely.

:ohdear:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AWWNAW posted:

that is pretty good. obviously my pay isn't comparable to that because I'm a :females:. still can't hurt to see what they'll offer.

dunno what Austin's office culture is like but at my office I'm rarely in before 10.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Think I'm getting my first interview. Been talking through email with a guy who visited our software engineering presentation at campus last year. He wants to meet at the school tomorrow, and asked me to make a presentation on one of my past projects. aaaaaa

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i get so depressed reading about you people throwing around your $300k comp packages

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

raminasi posted:

i get so depressed reading about you people throwing around your $300k comp packages

I mean everyone’s gotta start somewhere, they’ll make it to the deece figgies level eventually?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raminasi posted:

• get more experience
  • move to a bigger / more vibrant job market

in any order

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• get more experience
  • move to a bigger / more vibrant job market

in any order

also become a white or "model minority" man if at all possible.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

:yossame:

but then i remember i'm going to work for the danish state and the benefits are real and tangible. The pay is not even near figgies, but working 34,5 hours / week is tangible

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

raminasi posted:

if it makes you feel any better I’ve been getting paid to write software for 20 years and my first job paid like 30k. I didn’t break 100k until 6 years ago

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I doubled my pay by moving to a bigger market for a well known hedge fund and being a white man

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
keep in mind that 125k in stock is vesting over 4 years, so he has to avoid burning out or being fired put on a performance improvement plan for that long to be making 300k

not that 200k is anything to sneeze at

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

AWWNAW posted:

if it makes you feel any better I’ve been getting paid to write software for 20 years and my first job paid like 30k. I didn’t break 100k until 6 years ago

same, but nine years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

also become a white or "model minority" man if at all possible.

it never hurts

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

levels.fyi seems pretty good for comp numbers. certainly better than glassdoor

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Start date is finally confirmed, starting in exactly 30 days after I hand my notice in to my boss tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

levels.fyi seems pretty good for comp numbers. certainly better than glassdoor

i went here and took the little quiz at the bottom

show me the results

🤔