Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

People do this? Ha ha, now I feel bad 'cause I only do this with robots.

I'm probably the most inefficient player ever, just thanks to all this "lets colonies grow naturaly" :v:

When it was like 2260 and the only planet I owned with more than 3 pops was my home planet that felt pretty bad. I'm so used to building really tall and tight. :negative:

I haven't actually really played since Le Guin launch so I wasn't sure if this was something considered required, thus the question

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Black Pants posted:

I haven't actually really played since Le Guin launch so I wasn't sure if this was something considered required, thus the question

Assuming this is still about if you should transfer pops to new planet then there are two schools of thought

1) It's optimal to do it, but it won't cripple you if you don't, so only do it if you want.
2) Anything less than perfectly optimal play is garbage and I'll do anything, no matter how much I hate it, to ensure optimal play.

I'm in the first camp. The loudest folks are, predictably, in the second.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You want to get a gaia world so you can get the most efficient planet you can, and so that all pops have 100% habitability on it. Inward perfection is good for the bonuses and pop growth, and you're going to be pissing everyone one off anyway with your slavery/purging so you're unlikely to form good pacts with anyone regardless.

What if you drop life seeded for something else (syncretic?) and grab Arcologies instead? You still get the perfect habitability, and can produce a disgusting number of alloys to help keep your fleets in action. Not sure how long it'll take to get that going though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

binge crotching posted:

What if you drop life seeded for something else (syncretic?) and grab Arcologies instead? You still get the perfect habitability, and can produce a disgusting number of alloys to help keep your fleets in action. Not sure how long it'll take to get that going though.

I bet that'll take at least 100 years to get going

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ConfusedUs posted:

Assuming this is still about if you should transfer pops to new planet then there are two schools of thought

1) It's optimal to do it, but it won't cripple you if you don't, so only do it if you want.
2) Anything less than perfectly optimal play is garbage and I'll do anything, no matter how much I hate it, to ensure optimal play.

I'm in the first camp. The loudest folks are, predictably, in the second.
I'm in camp 3) If I can sidestep having to wait ten years after a planet finishes colonising before I can do anything interesting with it I'm going to.

It's not just about optimisation, it's about play experience, and too much play experience is gated behind pop growth (or the pop growth mechanics are insufficiently engaging, whichever)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 24, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

hobbesmaster posted:

Also with only one planet you have no food source for the ecu and everyone starves

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Also with only one planet you have no food source for the ecu and everyone starves

You can feed everyone with livestock. It owns actually

I have an abandoned save where my ecu produces all alloys, consumer goods, and in the horrible teeming under city, food. When I got the ability to gene mod the livestock pops to be tasty I deleted my farms and still had a large food surplus.

Any proper life seeded species has no shortage of spare slaves to be converted into livestock

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 24, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

[*]Pop growth rate is dictated by number of current pops (the more pops the higher the growth speed)
This is a good way to make tiny early game gains even more impactful than they already are. It "makes sense" but it can lead to things like a one month delay in grabbing your first colony halving your end game population. Influenced by is one thing (so a large base growth rate that is marginally increased by population), but dictated by is not so good.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have an abandoned save where my ecu produces all alloys, consumer goods, and in the horrible teeming under city, food. When I got the ability to gene mod the livestock pops to be tasty I deleted my farms and still had a large food surplus.

Any proper life seeded species has no shortage of spare slaves to be converted into livestock
This violates both the laws of thermodynamics and the laws of basic morality in one fell swoop.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Thanks, I'll try it out. I assume you replace the buildings with alloy foundries?

Also, won't all the factions have penalties for warmongering/slavery? It feels like inwards perfection isn't doing much here-- all the unity comes from trade/unemployment, the growth is from raiding, and the happiness is cancelled by faction unhappiness.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Nitrousoxide posted:

Here you go.

You want to get a gaia world so you can get the most efficient planet you can, and so that all pops have 100% habitability on it. Inward perfection is good for the bonuses and pop growth, and you're going to be pissing everyone one off anyway with your slavery/purging so you're unlikely to form good pacts with anyone regardless.

Xenophobe so you can enslave/purge the pops you capture. Pacifist for the inward perfection, and egalitarian for BOTH the Utopian Abundence AND the wargoal you get to change people's ethics (since you would normally not be able to attack other empires with Inward Perfection) You'll not actually want to change anyone's ethics, but you'll be using that as the excuse to go to war so you can steal their pops.

Rapid breeders for the pop growth,
Venerable for the long lived leaders who can max out their stats.
Non-adaptive, sedentary, wasteful are all free bad traits that do nothing to hurt you here.

I did this start:

The first 1-2 wars can be REALLY rough and you'll want to make a stab at stealing some pops and weakening a neighbor in the first 10-15 years so you can keep coming back to them to fill up when the truce is done, otherwise you'll get passed up really quickly. If you don't want to play superhard mode like this though it's much more laid back without all advanced start ai's.

When you start the game up, first fire your enforcer, delete the research lab and civ industry buildings. Take the "deal with crime boss" decision for your planet, then you can add the enforcer job back on. Sell your consumer goods for some quick money on the market.

Change these laws:

Don't forget to change the default rights, I like to do this in case I grab oddball species they won't be contributing to crime or sitting around doing nothing because I didn''t remember to switch them over.

Edit: also grab the supremacy tree first.

I'd really recommend changing rapid breeders to something else. Over the course of 100 years that is 3 extra pops (since you're on 1 planet), but only if you're always growing your main species. Does utopian abundance output get effected by the +unity or +research traits? If not maybe +leader level and +leader xp is better (trait slots might be an issue, grabbing leader xp and an open slot for later gene modding of +leader level would be worth it).

Also if you build some strongholds on your planet (maybe in place of those other buildings you sacked) you can get some fleet cap to make your first wars a lot easier. Supremacy and 2 soldiers (along with the early tech for +2 cap per soldier) is +18 naval cap, so you can field 2 fleets pretty easily. With ship discounts and not spending alloys expanding this shouldn't be too crazy to get.

Splicer posted:

This is a good way to make tiny early game gains even more impactful than they already are. It "makes sense" but it can lead to things like a one month delay in grabbing your first colony halving your end game population. Influenced by is one thing (so a large base growth rate that is marginally increased by population), but dictated by is not so good.

It also would probably lead to a gameplay loop of still colonizing everything asap but shipping everyone to your homeworld (because 2 free pops per colony means a win), and then at some inflection point you start on colony number 2, with each colony you get to growing faster until you're restricted by building speed and not pop growth rate. Which would be cool for like 2 games I think.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

This is a very good point. I'm a little skeptical of a one month delay affecting endgame output that drastically but I get the point that you are making. I think "influencing" rather than "dictating" would be smart, yeah.

ZypherIM posted:

It also would probably lead to a gameplay loop of still colonizing everything asap but shipping everyone to your homeworld (because 2 free pops per colony means a win), and then at some inflection point you start on colony number 2, with each colony you get to growing faster until you're restricted by building speed and not pop growth rate. Which would be cool for like 2 games I think.
The other things I mentioned (like there being a delay in pop transfer) and the bigger effect from immigration so the kind of play that you are outlining would be suboptimal.

edit: and, again, I am not a game designer and I am not sitting here banging the table for the mechanics I outlined - I am simply stating what I think would be cool and also maybe fix the current problems, but I doubt that I am right that it would fix it!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

drat, didn't think it was that long. I've only played with the one that I consoled myself, but it's an amazing thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe other empires shouldn't suggest migration treaties if their species would end up enslaved, or worse, upon arrival. Unless they don't give a crap of course. :v:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's hilarious.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Poil posted:

Maybe other empires shouldn't suggest migration treaties if their species would end up enslaved, or worse, upon arrival. Unless they don't give a crap of course. :v:

That's hilarious.

Just call them 'guest workers' and 'au pairs' and nobody will mind.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Imagine my disappointment when the L-gates let out L-Drakes instead of a bunch of nanite fleets to gently caress with everyone. It would have been like shaking an ant farm.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 25, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

As much as I like seeing the little pops in their jobs, when you get more than like, 20 pops it's just a hopeless jumble. Like the new in-progess UI a lot better.

Just gotta add the ability to shuffle sectors around. I liked just making sectors out of conquered empires and naming it like "The Subjugated Realm of the [conquered race name]".

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Shumagorath posted:

Imagine my disappointment when the L-gates let out L-Drakes instead of a bunch of nantie fleets to gently caress with everyone. It would have been like shaking an ant farm.

Who let the Drakes out?

(You, you, you, you you)

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

As much as I like seeing the little pops in their jobs, when you get more than like, 20 pops it's just a hopeless jumble. Like the new in-progess UI a lot better.

Just gotta add the ability to shuffle sectors around. I liked just making sectors out of conquered empires and naming it like "The Subjugated Realm of the [conquered race name]".

I would do this, with the exception of the homeworld, Set up the homeworld and a sector worth of systems as a vassal. Worst case, they do nothing all game, best case, they spice things up, band together with the other vassals, and rise up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I, too, am a fan of the new UI they presented.

Sardonik posted:

Who let the Drakes out?

(You, you, you, you you)
:gonk:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just want to chime in the raiding based play is really fun. The key is to not expand. Or just expand a little bit, the minimum. Save the alloys for a fleet. I've been starting to hit neighbors right after I finish the supremacy tree which is usually after when I pick up destroyers. Generally after raiding the first neighbor you are way ahead after that. Don't vassalize anybody. They'll screw up your raiding.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Just want to chime in the raiding based play is really fun. The key is to not expand. Or just expand a little bit, the minimum. Save the alloys for a fleet. I've been starting to hit neighbors right after I finish the supremacy tree which is usually after when I pick up destroyers. Generally after raiding the first neighbor you are way ahead after that. Don't vassalize anybody. They'll screw up your raiding.

Can turn your early victim into a tributary if it doesn't have enough pop to merit continued abuse on a 10 year rotating basis. :v:

Real distance to your planets is not terribly relevant so you can just continue being an rear end in a top hat to neighbors by proxy with your devastated tributary's stations acting as jump off points for the raids

The ai doesn't understand raiding as a threat either so non targets will happily sign agreements with you while a quarter of the galactic population languishes as your slaves.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 25, 2019

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Did 2.2.4 fix the bug with planetary deposits

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In our MP game someone opened the L gates 100 years in and it was empty :(. A crisis would have really shook up the balance of power.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I thought there was no empty outcome any more?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aethernet posted:

I thought there was no empty outcome any more?

"Empty" except for Gray, who is cool as hell.

Although Gray cannot solo the Stellarite Devourer. (He also can't beat it when he's teamed up with a psionic entity.)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't count Gray as empty, as plonking him as a governor on a busy sector is a massive buff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Obviously I am not a dev and its not my decision and there are other factors that have to be considered, but, to me, a system like that would feel much more natural.

I think the general problem with pops is that they're still discrete units, rather than something more like Vicky 2 where the size of a pop matters. So like you could have a planet with 100 million human miners and 50 million blorg technicians or whatever. Each pop would grow individually each month at like 0.02% or whatever. Promotions and demotions would be like Vicky 2 as well. Instead of job slots you would have total pop capacity for a job. The current system is still a tile system without the tile grid.

Basically the problem is that they didn't just make Vicky 2 in space.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
exponential growth would be extremely bad, imo, unless there's also some kind of exponential way of slowing down progression. i dunno, more people eat more amenities/consumer goods due to inefficiencies in logistics or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be good though if it was a challenge that you had to deal with. Another part of the problem is that unemployment isn't a very serious issue, and in some cases it's actually a good thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the general problem with pops is that they're still discrete units, rather than something more like Vicky 2 where the size of a pop matters. So like you could have a planet with 100 million human miners and 50 million blorg technicians or whatever. Each pop would grow individually each month at like 0.02% or whatever. Promotions and demotions would be like Vicky 2 as well. Instead of job slots you would have total pop capacity for a job. The current system is still a tile system without the tile grid.

Basically the problem is that they didn't just make Vicky 2 in space.
:hmmyes: This would work too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Whoever suggested turning habitable planets down to 0.25 was right. It feels good to find a planet you can use, and the 20% habitability doesn't really matter, when it's all you got.

It also makes each planet that more special, and you have time to really go to work on each you have.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Whoever suggested turning habitable planets down to 0.25 was right. It feels good to find a planet you can use, and the 20% habitability doesn't really matter, when it's all you got.

It also makes each planet that more special, and you have time to really go to work on each you have.

I always used x0.25 since they added that option, but with sectors in 2.2 I've gone back to the default x1 modifier. With only 1/4 the number of planets I ended up with every single sector being a single planet sector because there is no way to merge them.

If they add a way to consolidate sectors (and make it so that automated sectors didn't pop up messages about building completions), then I would happily go back to x0.25 planets again.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

THE BAR posted:

That reminded me: it feels really weird to me that you can't exploit non-habitable planets like, at all (it's hilarious when you are playing as humans that you got a bunch of planets already and you can't do jack poo poo with Mars until you have terraforming).

If you have droids or whatever, shouldn't you be able to establish perhaps a sort of "exploitation" bases or colonies?

(if this is a dlc plan I want 2% paradox)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
aren't those what orbital stations are for

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

come on we all know a itsy bitsy station can't do justice to massive strip mining operations in a barren moon with millions of droids working the crap out of it

(or prisoner pops with proper atmospheric equipment, BUT STILL)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dead comedy forums posted:

come on we all know a itsy bitsy station can't do justice to massive strip mining operations in a barren moon with millions of droids working the crap out of it

Yeah it would be nice to set up some sort of droid mining base that gets upgraded separately but similarly to colonizing a planet.

Plus it would make robot uprisings more interesting if this gives them resource and forge worlds ready made.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Or just go all Concredance Extraction Corporation on uninhabitable planets and skip the mining base building phase.

May cause other issues down the line when you start throwing orbits of other planets out of whack though. And releasing terrors from beyond the stars.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

maybe mining stations should have +5 mineral jobs instead of +5 minerals, that would make it more justifiable.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The idea of treating the outpost/starbase for a system like an artificial planet, with a few slots for pops and then more for every mining station, was floated in the lead up to LeGuin and I would be for it if there was any evidence that the AI would be able to take advantage of it, but as it is pop-free space development seems to be the sector of the economy which AI players are rock solid on.

Of course, having such a system would open up some cool poo poo, like having Habitats be folded into the spaceborne pop UI as serious upgrades to the size and capabilities of a system's spaceborne population, and providing a very natural hook for another proposal, that megastructure construction involve small numbers of pops working in construction jobs gradually escalating as progress is made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

The idea of treating the outpost/starbase for a system like an artificial planet, with a few slots for pops and then more for every mining station, was floated in the lead up to LeGuin and I would be for it if there was any evidence that the AI would be able to take advantage of it, but as it is pop-free space development seems to be the sector of the economy which AI players are rock solid on.

Of course, having such a system would open up some cool poo poo, like having Habitats be folded into the spaceborne pop UI as serious upgrades to the size and capabilities of a system's spaceborne population, and providing a very natural hook for another proposal, that megastructure construction involve small numbers of pops working in construction jobs gradually escalating as progress is made.

I think that'll probably be coming at some point, but not with this DLC release. Maybe in the next story pack?